• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The very best of social media

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Cool...but Im calling BS on the lack of interupted water.

A bit more for you.

History Channel Treasure Hunting GIF by HISTORY UK

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The niece of the director of Somalia’s athletic federation is entered into a 100m race

Eesh, I wonder if she had any clue what she was getting into. Apparently she set the slowest time in the history of the event, gotta be embarrassing being surrounded by actual athletes for the duration of your visit to those games before and especially after running like that.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Eesh, I wonder if she had any clue what she was getting into. Apparently she set the slowest time in the history of the event, gotta be embarrassing being surrounded by actual athletes for the duration of your visit to those games before and especially after running like that.
Someone deluding themselves that they could compete with actual athletes at a high level is always ridiculous but it's particularly strange for something like the 100m sprint. With something like football, it can be hard to get an idea of just how much better they are than you. But with the 100 meters you can know how fast you can run it and how fast they can. It's pretty easy to see how you compare. So it's hard to imagine she didn't know what would happen.

Is....is she fat?

Is this classic nepotism or wokeism?
Like I mentioned, apparently she's apparently the niece of the director of Somalia’s athletic federation. So in that case it's nepotism. Not sure if that's been confirmed or just a social media rumour though. Maybe it'll turn out they needed someone to make up numbers or something and just threw someone into an event for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Someone deluding themselves that they could compete with actual athletes at a high level is always ridiculous but it's particularly strange for something like the 100m sprint. With something like football, it can be hard to get an idea of just how much better they are than you. But with the 100 meters you can know how fast you can run it and how fast they can. It's pretty easy to see how you compare. So it's hard to imagine she didn't know what would happen.

On the twitter thread, it's said that she's the niece of the director of the athletic federation. They would know that she didn't have a chance in hell, but put her up for it anyway. Even if she was deluded it's not very fair to let her go through with it. Somalia is ranked as one of the most corrupt nations on earth, I can well imagine there's some sort of financial benefit for having a team compete at a certain number of events, etc. I think there's probably a good chance that she hadn't got her heart set on competing and had her family pull strings for her to definitely be humiliated around the world.

DKehoe

I have a bit of a different take. It shows how much of a difference there is between regular folks and people that train their whole lives for something.
Definitely. If you look at the runner who comes second last there's a big gap between them and first. But they're still way ahead of the person in last. And this is apparently the World University Games, so it's not even the absolute elite like you would get at the Olympics.

Top Bottom