• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

Cerium

Got the red one with no attachments.

I ultimately decided on the heavy duty strap; the leather is too thin for my tastes.

My heart wanted the red, but I ended up going with blue because it's less conspicuous, will go better with more types of clothing, and doesn't scream "steal me!" at the top of its lungs.

I do need a case but I have the Zelda Special Edition coming and that comes with one...though we haven't seen the inside of it yet.

I don't doubt the WaterField will be of better quality but I can't jump at $80 sight unseen.

WadeitOut

That looks like a midrange sunglasses case but with an unsightly logo. And it's soft shell. And there are no pictures of the inside on the product page. We had five pages of free marketing for this letdown?

Edit - Oh wait there is a picture of the inside. And... there are no spacers or anything for the joycons? Seems like there's no protection for the analog sticks?

Yeah the lack of spacing to keep pressure off the sticks is the big thing keeping me from it. I was going to forgive the fact that the size makes it so it can't really be carried without putting it in another bag, but I don't want my sticks smashed while I transport it.

Cerium

If any of you feel like emailing your concerns about the logo, they are generally very receptive to feedback. There's still time to alter the design.

Personally I find it quite discreet but I can understand the complaint.

WadeitOut

I do need a case but I have the Zelda Special Edition coming and that comes with one...though we haven't seen the inside of it yet.

I don't doubt the WaterField will be of better quality but I can't jump at $80 sight unseen.

By the way we have see the inside of the Zelda Sheikah case. A long time ago even. As well as the two other versions of the case.

see people are still skeptical that these cases offer sufficient protection. If it's any consolation, I have the vita case and have literally thrown it around for more than a year and my vita has never so much had a stuck joystick in response. They're extremely well designed and offer plenty of padding.

I sent them an email asking if the logo design is final, and expressing that I wasn't a fan. I'll let you all know if I hear back!

I like the case otherwise, and have it preordered. But hopefully they are still considering removing that logo...

Cerium

I sent them an email asking if the logo design is final, and expressing that I wasn't a fan. I'll let you all know if I hear back!

I like the case otherwise, and have it preordered. But hopefully they are still considering removing that logo...
You can link this thread as well as proof that you're not alone.

WadeitOut

In the greatest heel turn since Kevin Durant...

I ended up preordering the grizzly. I still think it's kind of a waste since I will have to put it in another bag, but I just like the way it looks regardless of the absolutely awful logo placement.

maven

I've always wanted one of their 3ds or vita cases but never pulled the trigger. After choking slightly on the price (>100 AUD plus shipping), I'm in for a black one. Should hide the logo somewhat, and not clash with the neon joy-cons.

Edit: they specifically mention taking the analogue sticks into account on their preorder page.

ncslamm

These are really nice looking. Part of me wants to buy one so that I have everything I could possibly need for my Switch. On the other hand I can't see myself carrying it around very often. I think I'll wait and see how everyone likes it before I pull the trigger.

Glass

After seeing the negative reactions to the text on the case I went to the product page and it's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. Gorgeous looking case, that deep blue...

WadeitOut

I feel like the logo placement would have been a lot better if it was done up along the side of the front flat instead of down in the middle.

More like this;

2sO3Zxa.jpg

UberTag

I can't justify pre-ordering a case this expensive ($100 Canadian more than my stopgap PDP case) without some first-hand GAF testimonials so please be diligent in sharing your reviews and impressions once you have these in your hands next month.

Cerium

I can't justify pre-ordering a case this expensive ($100 Canadian more than my stopgap PDP case) without some first-hand GAF testimonials so please be diligent in sharing your reviews and impressions once you have these in your hands next month.

Will do.

boyshine

This seems like a situation where a product has gotten an undeservedly high reputation. Materials might be good, but design is not. Really disappointed to see that this is what some of you were waiting for/talking about.

forrest

formerly nacire
Goofing around in PS. I like the incorporation of the graphic part of the switch logo, but I guess they would have to license that from Nintendo to be able to use it.

wfonly4lsza.jpg

wfswitchxmsix.jpg

This seems like a situation where a product has gotten an undeservedly high reputation. Materials might be good, but design is not. Really disappointed to see that this is what some of you were waiting for/talking about.

It's well made, but I kind of agree the design could be improved. I still think a molded insert of sorts that the switch slid into would be better than just a padded cavity.

akashhhhh

I mean, it's a slight adaptation of a product many of us have seen and loved and that has stellar reviews:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/...s/sony-ps-vita-cityslicker-case#product-tabs5

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/...intendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case#product-tabs6

Can't decide between black or blue

Edit: ended up getting the black, as I didn't like how shiny the blue looked in the product shot. Much preferred the matte styling of the black

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i am eager to see real life shots of the grizzly & black with the 1" shoulder strap

if it looks more like a man bag than a small clutch, i'm in

otherwise i may wait for the medium sized bag

Sargon

Goofing around in PS. I like the incorporation of the graphic part of the switch logo, but I guess they would have to license that from Nintendo to be able to use it.

wfswitchxmsix.jpg
I really like the Switch logo on there, but it probably isn't possible.

Type40

Yea, all these bags are super plain and boring looking. I guess a lot of these people are afraid of looking "kiddie" with a more normal or durable case. Otherwise purposely expensive hipster trash.

Hattori

Banned
logo kills the design. if I'm paying a premium, then I don't want to be a walking advertisement moreso if the branding is half-assed like that.

They got back to me already (good customer service!) and they did confirm the logo is final. I may go ahead and cancel my pre-order. I like the design otherwise but really feel like that logo looks a bit amateur

Doorman

Exactly. This is so stupid. Not ordering this anymore, will stick with the Zelda pouch from special edition

...Because...a Zelda-themed pouch would be less of a "walking advertisement?"

I don't personally mind the logo on the front flap since it's pretty simple and understated text in the first place, although I do wish they'd moved it further down to be closer to the bottom-stitching. The placement of it just looks a little awkward to me but I'm not thematically-against the case having some sort of identifiable marking.

I'm personally waiting out to see what the final design of the "Champ" style case is anyway but I'm a bit surprised by how much a little bit of engraved text is apparently throwing so many people off.

_PsiFire_

I want to see the larger bags.

I'll be bringing my Switch to work to play while on break so I wouldn't mind transporting a pro controller as well.

finalflame

I want to see the larger bags.

I'll be bringing my Switch to work to play while on break so I wouldn't mind transporting a pro controller as well.

I think you're looking for a backpack.

Are the people complaining about the price completely new to Waterfield's products? They are expensive. It was always going to be expensive. Their other products are also expensive. They are all handmade and use really high quality materials and have superb fit/finish. This is a moderate luxury (not designer) item.

WadeitOut

I think you're looking for a backpack.

Are the people complaining about the price completely new to Waterfield's products? They are expensive. It was always going to be expensive. Their other products are also expensive. They are all handmade and use really high quality materials and have superb fit/finish. This is a moderate luxury (not designer) item.

But you're ignoring the bigger problem that I've addressed several times. It's a weird size. The size of the switch with joy cons make it to where this case is basically the size of a large clutch bag but it's not big enough to want to carry like a messenger bag. Which means most people are just going to toss it into a separate bad of back pack.

So it's different from the 3DS one that people can easily palm or put in a pocket. You're paying $80 for a bag to put in a bag.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
But you're ignoring the bigger problem that I've addressed several times. It's a weird size. The size of the switch with joy cons make it to where this case is basically the size of a large clutch bag but it's not big enough to want to carry like a messenger bag.

yeah, this is where i've landed on it. it's too small to be a masculine bag to carry.

I wonder if you can fit an AC charger (not the one that comes with the system) in one of those two pockets on the interior. That's what is holding me back from preordering (that and it costing 15-20 dollars more than I expected).

WadeitOut

I wonder if you can fit an AC charger (not the one that comes with the system) in one of those two pockets on the interior. That's what is holding me back from preordering (that and it costing 15-20 dollars more than I expected).

A USB-C cable, sure. An actual outlet block, probably not. At least not comfortably.

Also did anyone already post this new video of Gary showing off the city slicker case? Some nice images to get an idea of it in real world. Definitely glad I went with the Grizzly color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fc4U1UInts

Top Bottom