• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

Cerium

I wonder if you can fit an AC charger (not the one that comes with the system) in one of those two pockets on the interior. That's what is holding me back from preordering (that and it costing 15-20 dollars more than I expected).

The back pocket is probably your best bet for that, although the AC charger for Switch looks quite a bit bulkier than the 3DS one so I'm not sure.

The back pocket is probably your best bet for that, although the AC charger for Switch looks quite a bit bulkier than the 3DS one so I'm not sure.

Yeah I'm not even entertaining the possibility of fitting the one that comes with the system heh. I was looking to pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCDJ7LG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2x2x1..seems narrow enough that it could fit, but I dunno.

The fact that he uses gamecards and headphones as examples of things that can fit in those pockets makes me believe it won't fit..but they look like it could..

WadeitOut

Yeah I'm not even entertaining the possibility of fitting the one that comes with the system heh. I was looking to pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCDJ7LG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2x2x1..seems narrow enough that it could fit, but I dunno.

The fact that he uses gamecards and headphones as examples of things that can fit in those pockets makes me believe it won't fit..but they look like it could..

Well, I have the exact same one. So if you are waiting to jump on one of these I will let you know when I get mine lol

No one else makes anything like it.

Edit oh wups misread. Yea no I don't doubt that. At least currently. I'm just saying it's clearly a small scale niche product boutique type good. That's the reason it's expensive. Not because it cost them exponentially more to make or something.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
But you're ignoring the bigger problem that I've addressed several times. It's a weird size. The size of the switch with joy cons make it to where this case is basically the size of a large clutch bag but it's not big enough to want to carry like a messenger bag. Which means most people are just going to toss it into a separate bad of back pack.

So it's different from the 3DS one that people can easily palm or put in a pocket. You're paying $80 for a bag to put in a bag.

This is largely the reasoning as to why I'm giving the Switch CitySlicker a hard pass. I'm no stranger to Waterfield's pricing and craftsmanship as I've purchased the 3DS variation in the past, but I couldn't possibly justify spending $80 now on a case that will pretty much have to be placed in a separate bag or backpack for proper transportation.

Not being a fan of the new logo branding or its placement certainly didn't help the product's appeal to me either.

They have a video up for the prototype of the "Pro" bag which is a messenger sized bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_ZcP-KTgw

I love the look of this a lot more than the CitySlicker, but it seems like they're doing away with the considerations they made for the Joy-Con's analog sticks with this model.

Another immediate concern is pricing even though the materials being used look a lot more consumer friendly.

Well, I have the exact same one. So if you are waiting to jump on one of these I will let you know when I get mine lol

Haha thanks. Yeah maybe I'll come in this thread when they are shipped out and ask again.

I did just email Waterfield though. I'll see what they say.

finalflame

But you're ignoring the bigger problem that I've addressed several times. It's a weird size. The size of the switch with joy cons make it to where this case is basically the size of a large clutch bag but it's not big enough to want to carry like a messenger bag. Which means most people are just going to toss it into a separate bad of back pack.

So it's different from the 3DS one that people can easily palm or put in a pocket. You're paying $80 for a bag to put in a bag.

I never held my 3DS in my palm or put it in my pocket when it was inside my CitySlicker. It's far too bulky inside the case to fit in any normal sized pocket, especially if you wear even moderately fitted pants. Not to mention that, if it's in your pocket, it's not being seen either.

The Switch is a bigger device, which means more materials used in the production of the case, hence it costs more than the 3DS one. Any case you get for the Switch is going to be a case to protect the console when it gets thrown in another bag, or for quick trans port in your hand if you don't mind holding it the entire time. How much you're going to show off the case should not affect the price, really. My moderately expensive Montblanc wallet is in my front pocket or backpack like 99% of the time, and only comes out when I'm paying for something, it doesn't make it not worth what I paid for it because it's a superbly made product.

All I'm saying is that even a cursory glance over Waterfield's other products would've tipped you off that this is not a cheap brand, and this would not be a cheap case. Nothing they sell is cheap, because the materials and craftsmanship put into their products are not cheap.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I never held my 3DS in my palm or put it in my pocket when it was inside my CitySlicker. It's far too bulky inside the case to fit in any normal sized pocket, especially if you wear even moderately fitted pants. Not to mention that, if it's in your pocket, it's not being seen either.

The Switch is a bigger device, which means more materials used in the production of the case, hence it costs more than the 3DS one. Any case you get for the Switch is going to be a case to protect the console when it gets thrown in another bag, or for quick trans port in your hand if you don't mind holding it the entire time. How much you're going to show off the case should not affect the price, really. My moderately expensive Montblanc wallet is in my front pocket or backpack like 99% of the time, and only comes out when I'm paying for something, it doesn't make it not worth what I paid for it because it's a superbly made product.

All I'm saying is that even a cursory glance over Waterfield's other products would've tipped you off that this is not a cheap brand, and this would not be a cheap case. Nothing they sell is cheap, because the materials and craftsmanship put into their products are not cheap.

You're still not getting it - no one is complaining about the price or materials.

The size is a feminine-sized clutch. That's the issue - if it were just a touch bigger, I'd carry it around the city. As it is... I don't think I'd wear it.

Looks like a legit woman's purse. Especially in red and blue. Plus the text dead center sucks too. Solid pass.

I'd consider the grizzly color one if not for the text on the front. Not spending that kind of cash to advertise for them.

You're still not getting it - no one is complaining about the price or materials.

The size is a feminine-sized clutch. That's the issue - if it were just a touch bigger, I'd carry it around the city. As it is... I don't think I'd wear it.

Yea, I mean at the price, I would consider it, provided it was a messenger bag with a specially designed compartment for the Switch.

finalflame

They're making one of those. It was posted earlier in the thread, but just in case:

It'll naturally cost more, in line with Waterfield's other bags of the same size.

$80 is a fine price for the Switch CitySlicker. If you want a bigger bag, it's going to be more $$.

Yea, I mean at the price, I would consider it, provided it was a messenger bag with a specially designed compartment for the Switch.

If they built a specialized messenger bag that carried say the Switch in a protected compartment and a 15" laptop or an area for notebooks I would be sold. I would even pay more.

akashhhhh

I think it's safe to say that GAF isn't the target market for this thing.

But clearly there is a market:

Pre-Order now to ship by March 24
(March 15 Production Run Sold Out)

Will post impressions of my blue one when it arrives.

They're making one of those. It was posted earlier in the thread, but just in case:

It'll naturally cost more, in line with Waterfield's other bags of the same size.

$80 is a fine price for the Switch CitySlicker. If you want a bigger bag, it's going to be more $$.

If they built a specialized messenger bag that carried say the Switch in a protected compartment and a 15" laptop or an area for notebooks I would be sold. I would even pay more.

$100-120 for a really nice messenger bag makes sense for the functionality and quality it provides over time. A case costing nearly 1/3rd of the device that just holds it and a few memory cards just isn't a value proposition I can get behind.

As stated, clearly myself, and I imagine most of GAF are not the target market. This is a boutique item for people who want a fashion accessory.

WadeitOut

I like how you typed all of that to respond to me, who already preordered it.

akashhhhh

As stated, clearly most Myself, and I imagine most of GAF are not the target market. This is a boutique item for people who want a fashion accessory.

Fashion accessory?! Not for me. People will hardly see it as it will be in a leather bag I travel with. For me, I wanted something quality, made locally. I didn't want a Switch logo on it, and I wanted it to be understated. I wanted it to be well thought out, and I wanted something I could use just for traveling with cables and accessories when the Switch is done.

finalflame

Fashion accessory?! Not for me. People will hardly see it as it will be in a leather bag I travel with. For me, I wanted something quality, made locally. I didn't want a Switch logo on it, and I wanted it to be understated. I wanted it to be well thought out, and I wanted something I could use just for traveling with cables and accessories when the Switch is done.

Amen.

I wish their Victor wallets were a little more focused on cards than the cash pocket. My wallet is falling apart and I need a new clip/slim wallet. Those are competitively priced.

MrNineties

Saw Greg Miller bust his Vita Slim out of a Waterfield during the Switch Unboxing they did and damn it looked premium. I'm so in for the Switch Waterfield.

Weils

Neo Member
Plonked down for the Waterfield Switch case after debating whether to get it the previous night. Not really in a hurry to get it in my hands since there's only a little more than a week difference between the first and second batches production.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
The Nintendo Switch Multiplayer Pro Case can now be preordered for the cost of $149. The first batch will be shipped out March 31st.

Speaking as someone who liked the design of this case more than the CitySlicker, the price point is somewhat brutal especially when considering there's no customization options.

Doorman

Oof, the price point and the ultimate look for what they're calling the MultiPlayer case don't really strike a chord with me, but functionally it might do the best job of handling everything I'd want to bring for the full setup as an actual tailored product. I wish at least they had a different color option or two beyond the odd khaki thing they've got going.

Might still pick it up eventually, but it feels like less of a priority for the moment.

SiDCrAzY

Decided to buy the black one, too bad I have to wait until April. The video showing off the case sealed the deal for me, looks great.

Weils

Neo Member
Wow, the March 31 production already sold out and now it's collecting orders for April 7 shipment. Besides looking at their handheld cases, I'm taking a tour of their website, especially their backpacks and messenger bags, they look very useful and durable.

Jeels

Darn, really upset I preordered so late. I was sitting on it for a while because of that price. Now I just want one already. ;_; Hopefully if first waves are going out they are producing quickly.

Top Bottom