• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redford

aka Cabbie
As long as they don't try and PR it as anything more than for commerce, I don't mind it.

Seriously can't see how something this boring could be used for anything more than transactions.

Which means the only reason not to visit it in community is the minimal extra effort required to keep the community tab open, rather than having it all on the one page. An argument that could (fairly) apply to every single thread in community. Or even, by extension, be made for those who don't like regularly visiting both off topic and community.

Honestly, if someone is bailing out of posting in this thread and engaging in the community just because it's shifting to the sub forum it belongs, I'd that someone wasn't really interested in the community thread to begin with beyond it being a casual convenience.
I was pretty heavily invested in other threads, and clearly was in the top few posters for like 3-4 threads in a row in this one, so it was more than a casual convenience. Like I said. It's a mental barrier. They exist. It's like a console being priced 299$ or $329, 30 buck difference but everyone says 299 is that spot where people are able to justify it. Once again no big deal, but some people, plenty of people, are like me, we just don't want to visit an additional place, when we're already visiting the current places often. And this does apply to every thread in community, which is why I personally dislike threads going there, though sometimes I understand the need. But alas, it's my preference. I am not alone.

My best solution is to keep the tab open, we'll see how that goes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So, after 7 years of hard worm and research, they'll only be able to achieve a 20% increase in performance?

How many times better do you think the xbox3 will be over 360?

It's not technical limitations stopping them. I think that was their design goal from the start. They know that their typical audience will love games that looks as good as PS360.

There was no need to go any higher.

ReyVGM

Yeah, I hardly visit off topic/community forums either. I always check the main forum. I guess I'll just wait until GoNinty posts relevant news/rumors from this thread then.

But then again, it's a relief, now I will have like 6 extra hours to do other stuff instead of hitting F5 all the time :p

An extra click?! Oh noes! No longer see the big deal about being moved to community. Ever hear of browser tabs and bookmarks? I've always consistently had the Wii U spec threads queued up on both my IPhone's Safari tabs and Chrome tabs on my PC. Just because it's going to be in community section doesn't mean we won't be able to post the occasional news bit, rumour and fun gif while we wait for the show. Of course being able to stay in gaming discussion would be better but at this point it's just a placebo effect in my opinion.

So, after 7 years of hard worm and research, they'll only be able to achieve a 20% increase in performance?

How many times better do you think the xbox3 will be over 360?
they don't spend the 7 years lollygagging after they decide to with inferior specs, they spend the years figuring out what they can get the absolute most out of, while maintaining their goals of low pricing/HD/3rd party engines/etc...

Basically trying to find the cheapest possible route, while still including things that set it apart. Not easy!

An extra click?! Oh noes! No longer see the big deal about being moved to community. Ever hear of browser tabs and bookmarks? I've always consistently had the Wii U spec threads queued up on both my IPhone's Safari tabs and Chrome tabs on my PC. Just because it's going to be in community section doesn't mean we won't be able to post the occasional news bit, rumour and fun gif while we wait for the show. Of course being able to stay in gaming discussion would be better but at this point it's just a placebo effect in my opinion.
seems like the only people making a big deal of it are those who will continue to post at the same pace, as those who said they'll post less just said it and that was it lol.

Smellycat

I don't understand why this thread is being moved to the community forum. E3 is less than 2 weeks away, and all the other WiiU speculation threads were made here. I don't see the point of doing it now.

GameE

I support this going to the community, maybe I can catch up on my reading in this thread then and wont be so far behind every day :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was pretty heavily invested in other threads, and clearly was in the top few posters for like 3-4 threads in a row in this one, so it was more than a casual convenience. Like I said. It's a mental barrier. They exist. It's like a console being priced 299$ or $329, 30 buck difference but everyone says 299 is that spot where people are able to justify it. Once again no big deal, but some people, plenty of people, are like me, we just don't want to visit an additional place, when we're already visiting the current places often. And this does apply to every thread in community, which is why I personally dislike threads going there, though sometimes I understand the need. But alas, it's my preference. I am not alone.

My best solution is to keep the tab open, we'll see how that goes.

You are seriously comparing an extra $30 to an extra TWO CLICKS (at most) to get to this thread?

Wow.

People just going to post less dont try to kill us for it. It what it is lol..Now it seems like people are tryna convert others or something. Leave that for religion debates.

I don't understand why this thread is being moved to the community forum. E3 is less than 2 weeks away, and all the other WiiU speculation threads were made here. I don't see the point of doing it now.
This. It shouldve been in community how two weeks before E3. No sense being made, most likely the last thread should just let it live.

I don't know, it all sounds like a stretch. On cell phones it's MOSTLY a gimmick, even though there are some real world uses coming up, on a video game controller...it's pushing it, even for nintendo. I truly wonder if they have a lot of ideas for it, or if they are doing it for future proofing and hope they come with a good way to milk it down the line.

Are you saying that the examples I gave are a stretch? Because they'd certainly make life easier for the owner, I think. Whether those particular examples would be implemented is another question.

Guys...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
>>> Default Subscription Mode

change it to "no email notification". Done.

That doesn't solve the problem. People also want to see threads they haven't posted in.

edit

GAF Flat View (fixed)

That's the url I was looking for. GAF just renamed it with a search id. It's supposed to just show threads from the last day regardless of what forum they're in

Izick

I'm glad that this did remind me to subscribe, because I know if going to community happens overnight or when I'm away, I will think "wait, what happened to the Wii U thread?" or something dumb. Now I won't have to track it down, so that's another plus.

All it takes is this "newpost" link in your bookmarks, and you're good to go:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...wpost&t=475014

That's the same as clicking the GAF logo next to a thread title, taking you to the first unread post. I have those for all of the WUSTs so far in my bookmarks.
not bad, might keep that on my bookmark bar up top, definitely the best idea yet. Still requires me babysitting a bit, checking up on it to see if anything new was posted though. But better than going to a separate place just to view the one topic.

EDarkness

The problem is people deciding not to post for weird, arbitrary and frankly silly reasons, not the decision to move it. It's one extra click away, or none if you bookmark the thread. And it is likely to consistently be on the front page of Gaming Community, like all the active threads are.

I understand what you're saying, but people have their way of surfing forums. I go to many forums on a regular basis and I'm at capacity as it is, so going to ANOTHER forum just for one thread isn't worth it to me. News from this thread will make it to the Gaming forum and I'll read it there like I always have. Having this thread in Gaming simply made it convenient to follow since I was browsing that forum to begin with. It getting moved to another forum moves it out of the areas I normally go to and so I don't think I'll be posting in it.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your reasoning for moving the thread and I'm not protesting that.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It's not technical limitations stopping them. I think that was their design goal from the start. They know that their typical audience will love games that looks as good as PS360.

There was no need to go any higher.

Please answer my second part. It helps me understand things in context.

Skiesofwonder

I'm not comparing pricing to forum clicking, I'm using the idea of a mental barrier and how they can exist in many places. You can figure that out though, I believe in you.

An extra $30 isn't a mental barrier. It's a fricken extra $30 that people could be spending on food, clothes, more games, etc.

Two clicks is what... Five seconds (at most on a regular Internet connection) of your life taken away?

When the sports threads were moved to the community section, most complaints were about less newcomers joining the fray because a lot of gaffers don't regularly visit the community sections. That's a justifiable concern. Not a two click "mental barrier". Talk about being lazy....

An extra $30 isn't a mental barrier. It's a fricken extra $30 that people could be spending on food, clothes, more games, etc.

Two clicks is what... Five seconds (at most on a regular Internet connection) of your life taken away?
I'm CONSTANTLY clicking threads and reading stuff when I'm on gaf, as soon as I leave one thread I'm usually in another. Like I said, I'm clearly not alone, it's not some crazy thing, some people would just rather not have to. It's a bit of a turn off. Simple as that. There's already an abundant amount of things I want to read without having to click away from that section.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If we're moving to community, should the iPhone/androind gaming thread and vita advice be moved too?

Probably. I don't visit those threads, so I don't know their history or activity, and thus it would be best called by a moderator who does.

All I know is this is the sixth Wii U Speculation Thread, in a series of threads that has consistently sat on the front page of gaming, of which started all the way back in June 2011. It's been almost a year since these threads started. Given new news warrants new threads, this topic is definitively a 'community'.

EDarkness

When the sports threads were moved to the community section, most complaints were about less newcomers joining the fray because a lot of gaffers don't regularly visit the community sections. That's a justifiable concern. Not a two click "mental barrier". Talk about being lazy....

What does it matter? People will post where ever they have a desire to. There shouldn't be a problem with people saying they'll post less if the thread is in Community. It just seems like some people are getting so bent out of shape they're saying they won't post as much if at all there. Man, sometimes I just don't understand this place....

Probably. I don't visit those threads, so I don't know their history or activity, and thus it would be best called by a moderator who does.

All I know is this is the sixth Wii U Speculation Thread, in a series of threads that has consistently sat on the front page of gaming, of which started all the way back in June 2011. It's been almost a year since these threads started. Given new news warrants new threads, this topic is definitively a 'community'.

If you're ever feeling chipper and have an ssh key for the server, feel free to put this link at the top of the template near the one for "Subscriptions". I just discovered it a few posts up (well, a page or two up, but you know what I mean), but it's useful enough that it's bookmarked, and I might even end up making it my default view for this website. :D

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please answer my second part. It helps me understand things in context.

I think that PS720 will be around 4 - 6 times PS360. I don't expect memory pools to be larger then 2Gb but do expect a reasonable increase in GPU performance. Maybe even 10x the performance of current gen.

CPU wise, probably only 2-3x. I don't expect huge leaps here.

So overal. Something like 4 - 6 times what we have now. Anything more will be a bonus.

I follow this logic, but it isn't just news that gets posted as new threads. There are constant "what was your favourite game for console X" threads, constant "what would you do if you could change any game" threads and so on. They aren't the result of news, rather the facilitation of opinion- and idea-sharing, so it seems weird to move this thread from general gaming on that basis

Izick

Nintendo won't play all their cards at E3. The Wii U will be speculated on up to and likely a few months beyond release.

I don't think there's need for a speculation thread past release. Once it's released, things usually deserve threads on a case by case basis. Wii U Speculation thread will become the Wii U launch thread I'm guessing.

Guys the time for speculation over anyway soon all we will know all and we have all the Pre E3 stuff soon

Pfft, we're going to find out the actual full spec sheet of the Wii U about four years from now in "Speculation Thread 326".

Anyway, back to NFC. What are non-"collect them all!" type uses we can find for this protocol which are helpful either for general system use or for gaming? So far I've thought up or heard ease of purchases and cloud-based settings storage for when you bring an NFC card to a friend's house
also Clapping Simulator 2012
. Anything else that I missed?

Nugg

Alternative for people who hate having to dig through multiple subforums
also too much highlight abuse, will monitor that in future

View All New Threads In All Of NeoGAF, sorted by date apparently

There you go. GAF Flat View.

8aHNT.jpg

Skiesofwonder

I'm CONSTANTLY clicking threads and reading stuff when I'm on gaf, as soon as I leave one thread I'm usually in another. Like I said, I'm clearly not alone, it's not some crazy thing, some people would just rather not have to. It's a bit of a turn off. Simple as that. There's already an abundant amount of things I want to read without having to click away from that section.

Well I believe EC already addressed that then:

Honestly, if someone is bailing out of posting in this thread and engaging in the community just because it's shifting to the sub forum it belongs, I'd that someone wasn't really interested in the community thread to begin with beyond it being a casual convenience.

It's two clicks people, or a tab away. The main "problem" here is that mostly only regulars will be attending now.

Izick

It's crazy this thread has already reached nearly 2000 posts in 2 days. It'd be hilarious if another thread was needed before E3.

Nintendo won't play all their cards at E3. The Wii U will be speculated on up to and likely a few months beyond release.
Those speculation threads would be incredibly dead though no joke. We'll have so much real news discussions will just take place in there. No need for one after E3 imo. The next big fat WiiU thread(s) that takes over the first page of gaming will be the launch one. Everything inbetween Will be game OTs and other real news like online features and controller/system functionality.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I follow this logic, but it isn't just news that gets posted as new threads. There are constant "what was your favourite game for console X" threads, constant "what would you do if you could change any game" threads and so on. They aren't the result of news, rather the facilitation of opinion- and idea-sharing, so it seems weird to move this thread from general gaming on that basis

That is just one reason. The main reason is this series of threads is a regular, community driven discussion, and has been for nearly a year. It functions in a similar manner to game OTs, and unlike opinion and other idea sharing threads, doesn't get buried under mountains of other threads once the discussion has run it's course. There is no specific topic of discussion, or strict sharing of ideas, in these threads. And that's fine. But it's why it's going to community.

It is a community sharing ideas and opinions on a wide variety of topics related to the thread's title. A community that has been doing so continuously for months.

Why is this, like, the 18th post in the thread, and not in the 1st/2nd?

Because I posted the original post then stayed away for a little while, afraid that everybody would hate it and express anger and general youtubery.

Then I remembered I wanted to set aside space for the summaries and just dived in.

NeoRausch

Huh, what's the deal? I'm with EC on this.
we can speculate our ass off in community (just bookmark it, man!) and as soon as E3 starts all the hot shit gonna hit the main page anyway aaaaaand we can finally have an official OT there.

Alternative for people who hate having to dig through multiple subforums
also too much highlight abuse, will monitor that in future

View All New Threads In All Of NeoGAF, sorted by date apparently

There you go. GAF Flat View.

edit: I just took an example search url and crammed into neogaf.com/forum, so it might need some tweaking to actually report accurate results. However, you can use the search function to display posts in this manner.

edit: Fixed so that it actually works.

areyouawizard.jpg

Hah!

Oh, here's a reminder: Bookmark that specific link before visiting it. If you click on it, the url is rewritten to a temporary location which looks like "neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=107464". Bookmarking that would give you non-updated results if you visited a second time (also would only show for you and would not show for other logged in accounts or when you're logged out). Bookmarking the original link solves that problem.

That's why the first time I posted this, it didn't work for some users (I since fixed it, after it became apparentl but before Nugg discovered it).

Huh, what's the deal? I'm with EC on this.
we can speculate our ass off in community (just bookmark it, man!) and as soon as E3 starts all the hot shit gonna hit the main page anyway aaaaaand we can finally have an official OT there.

Yeah, I have no problem with it, either. I'm one of those weirdos who run with a hundred or more browser tabs open (and session restore) instead of having to remember which pages to visit each day and hunt around for them, so any thread I need is already open.

Skiesofwonder

What does it matter? People will post where ever they have a desire to. There shouldn't be a problem with people saying they'll post less if the thread is in Community. It just seems like some people are getting so bent out of shape they're saying they won't post as much if at all there. Man, sometimes I just don't understand this place....

I really didn't care until Pyro tried to compare it to a $30-significant mental barrier. If you are going to move on, then move on. Less filler, more news. Just stop acting like some major disservice is being done to us. It happened to almost every other discussion thread, it was only matter of time before it happened here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom