• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

They're still worlds apart. They deal with completely different themes, lores, and concepts. They're built as very different universes.

If I absolutely had to pick the best mesh with Metroid, it would be as others have said: F-Zero. Simply because there's no really significant thematic inconsistencies between the two. Both are science fiction. Both exist in human filled universes with a strong alien presence. Both take themselves relatively seriously. Both, in art design, are more closely interchangeable than anything else.

Yeah. Stuff like Kingdom Hearts, and Smash Bros, exist in a "what if?" universe where the aim is to merge everything together, recklessly even, just to see what happens. A Nintendo All-Stars RPG style thing would work fine with this too, as the ideas is "ITS EVERYBODY! TOGETHER!", and therefore becomes it's own contained universe in a sense.

I'm going to throw an idea out there that will sound crazy.

What if...Retro plans to completely reboot Star Fox...not just by throwing Star Fox in a new game...but they plan to change a lot of things that we know about the franchise?

Obviously a lot of people feel like Star Fox has gotten lame or ran its course.

What if Retro is not just planning this game to be a Metroid x Star Fox game...but a chance to take Star Fox in a completely different direction? I'm talking mood and atmosphere in a Star Fox game that is dark and moody along the lines of Metroid.

There's this belief that Retro will just take the Star Fox we all know, and will just throw it into Metroid. I don't believe that. If anything, I could see Star Fox going through a transformation to make the franchise more appealing to today's gamers. Possibly taking Star Fox into a more darker, and less cheesy direction. Which would make it fit within Metroid's world better.

Again, I think Nintendo plans to completely reboot Star Fox from the ground up.

ffdgh

I thought a regular play through of Majora's Mask would last me until E3.

I decided to make it a 3 heart, kokiri sword only run. Played for 6 hours today and finished the third dungeon ^_^

I guess I'll just 100% it

sounds tough to manage....i say good luck with majora without FDL

Vinci

Danish
Then EC's earlier comment is right and the new Star Fox would be attempting to appeal to a whole new audience. I doubt its traditional fans would love it being completely reworked.

Redford

aka Cabbie
...that Retro will just take the Star Fox we all know, and will just throw it into Metroid. I don't believe that. If anything, I could see Star Fox going through a transformation to make the franchise more appealing to today's gamers. Possibly taking Star Fox into a more darker, and less cheesy direction. Which would make it fit within Metroid's world better.

Not that I've played the games, but I thought some of them were already pretty errr, dark?

Then EC's earlier comment is right and the new Star Fox would be attempting to appeal to a whole new audience. I doubt its traditional fans would love it being completely reworked.

Exactly. If it's dying, let it die. Sonic is an example of what happens when you go that route.

This is boring. Someone intentionally leak something that's not boring.
Boring only because people are ignoring a point I made: Ubisoft is going to be showing off all their Wii-U games a day before Nintendo's own conference. This can only mean that Nintendo has so many games to show that they don't mind it if a good chunk of games are revealed early.

The best combo I see for a Nintendo IP crossover is Animal Crossing x Pikmin.

You are randomly roaming around your village, the very same village which extra terrestrial little funny dudes are ought to escape from. Everything in real time.

I would go batshit insane over the many possibilities of such game.

I'm not quite sure I get the message here.

animated-gifs-03-1.gif

Vinci

Danish
Boring only because people are ignoring a point I made: Ubisoft is going to be showing off all their Wii-U games a day before Nintendo's own conference. This can only mean that Nintendo has so many games to show that they don't mind it if a good chunk of games are revealed early.

We're not ignoring it. There just aren't too many proper responses to it that lead anywhere conversationally.

EVERYONE ACKNOWLEDGE THIS POST!

YELLING!

G-Fex

But Mario and Pikmin do, does that mean Retro is working on a Mario x Pikmin game?

Possibly.

Metroid and Kid Icarus do.
RZpGW.png

They do, cause some Metroids leaked into...wherever Kid Icarus takes place.

Star Fox and Metroid is far far too easy and predictable so no it isn't true.

Now the funny part about the mario universe, is that they do connect to a "version" of the real world, Brooklyn, New York and so forth.

The tricky part is where Donkey Kong takes place cause that's some strange Jungle land/world. Then I don't know what city Mario opens his theme park in.

Or the city and other areas he chases DK through in DK '94 on Gameboy.

And lest we forget that Mario found Samus asleep in Super Mario RPG?

BY2K

Membero Americo

Holy crap.

I'm feeling it, guys. Nintendo's Conference is going to be huge. Like, ignoring the 2011 reveal, the 2012 re-reveal will be a bigger boom than the 3DS' reveal.

Terrell

So, Star Fox x Metroid is cool with you, but Nintendo x Disney goes too far?
Seriously??

What's the need? It's not like Nintendo needs to borrow someone else's pop culture iconography like Square Enix did, they already HAVE pop culture iconography.

And I never said I'd be good with Star Fox X Metroid. I accept nothing less than EVERYTHING mashed together.

ffdgh

Holy crap.

I'm feeling it, guys. Nintendo's Conference is going to be huge. Like, ignoring the 2011 reveal, the 2012 re-reveal will be a bigger boom than the 3DS' reveal.

atlease they'll actually show the console this time.....hopefully

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

What if...Retro plans to completely reboot Star Fox...not just by throwing Star Fox in a new game...but they plan to change a lot of things that we know about the franchise?

What if Retro is not just planning this game to be a Metroid x Star Fox game...but a chance to take Star Fox in a completely different direction? I'm talking mood and atmosphere in a Star Fox game that is dark and moody along the lines of Metroid.

There's this belief that Retro will just take the Star Fox we all know, and will just throw it into Metroid. I don't believe that. If anything, I could see Star Fox going through a transformation to make the franchise more appealing to today's gamers. Possibly taking Star Fox into a more darker, and less cheesy direction. Which would make it fit within Metroid's world better.

See my comments about creative bankruptcy and the goal being to extinguish and existing fanbase and design in order to establish something new. In cases like that they're not making 'Star Fox'. They're making a new franchise and shoehorning the Star Fox label into it at the expense of the existing fanbase. It simply doesn't need to be, and is not a requirement to revive either Star Fox nor warrant the associated gameplay changes.

Some people noticed Retro's drastic changes to Metroid with Metroid Prime, and how people feared it being a first person shooter, as an example of doing something drastic with a franchise that people initially see as horrible. What people forget is that Metroid Prime's greatest achievement wasn't that it was a good game by its own merits, or that it validated the design direction, that it was that it did both of these while still being distinctly Metroid in experience, design, and thematics. It was to Metroid as Mario 64 was to Mario, and Ocarina of Time was to Zelda: a magnificent 3D imagining of a previously 2D franchise.

Holy crap.

just you wait.

Iwata: This is the Wii U. We are planning on showing you the games.
Reggie: That's right, but not today. Not tomorrow. But in September, around TGS.
Iwata: (laughs)

I do agree that I don't think Retro would just throw two games together.

If this were in fact a real thing, I think most likely Starfox would be the one to get the makeover.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think so at this point. Someone in the thread earlier tonight convinced me. :)

Bigger than 2006, even.

Let's not get crazy here. Nothing will ever top 2006 or the TP reveal. Keep the hype in check.

That said, I'm looking forward to it delivering comparably with 2010, which was Nintendo's second best E3.

I've been saying for ages, but if I was Iwata I would mandate each internal team/studio working with dev kits have something prepared to show - even five second CG trailer/target render and logo. No excuses.

HylianTom

Banned
just you wait.

Iwata: This is the Wii U. We are planning on showing you the games.
Reggie: That's right, but not today. Not tomorrow. But in September, around TGS.
Iwata: (laughs)

I think I would vomit with rage at that point. I'd be happily posting, posting, posting.. {*the reveal happens*} ... vomit ... no more posting.

Vinci

Danish
What's the need? It's not like Nintendo needs to borrow someone else's pop culture iconography like Square Enix did, they already HAVE pop culture iconography.

And I never said I'd be good with Star Fox X Metroid. I accept nothing less than EVERYTHING mashed together.

Of course they don't need to borrow someone else's pop culture iconography, but if you put Mario and Mickey Mouse together? Tell me that's not going to be huge to a level that belies logic.

HylianTom

Banned
Let's not get crazy here. Nothing will ever top 2006 or the TP reveal. Keep the hype in check.

That said, I'm looking forward to it delivering comparably with 2010, which was Nintendo's second best E3.
They were magnificent, no doubt.. but I do wonder sometimes.

The main thing about the TP reveal is that back then, those in attendance allowed themselves to audibly react to what they were seeing. Nowadays, the audience seems to be filled with joyless, desperate-to-be-professional, stiffs.

The audience reaction - that outpouring of emotion - will probably never be seen again. And I think that's a big part of what the TP reveal has going for it when people look back fondly at that special moment in time. We all cheered along with them. We all felt what we were hearing coming from that crowd.

Just dropping in here...

I'm a bit disappointed that this console mystery didn't invoke any "Ask for Bruce, he flies the cessna. He'll tell you all the secrets." Kind of wild goose chase.

I really miss the wacky Nintendo On business.

I imagine if Ubi is showing off WiiU stuff, then EA might as well on Monday.

but would that require Nintendo doing some sort of pre-E3 reveal? Imagine if the new controller didn't leak, but Ubi showed it off the day before? maybe I'm overthinking it and they'll just show a sizzle reel with in-game footage.

Terrell

Of course they don't need to borrow someone else's pop culture iconography, but if you put Mario and Mickey Mouse together? Tell me that's not going to be huge to a level that belies logic.

Being a big deal and being GOOD are often mutually exclusive things.

Example: Street Fighter X Tekken.

GCX

I've been saying for ages, but if I was Iwata I would mandate each internal team/studio working with dev kits have something prepared to show - even five second CG trailer/target render and logo. No excuses.
No.

Haven't we learned anything from FF Versus, The Last Guardian, etc.? Showing games too early isn't a good thing.

The main thing about the TP reveal is that back then, those in attendance allowed themselves to audibly react to what they were seeing. Nowadays, the audience seems to be filled with joyless, desperate-to-be-professional, stiffs.

The audience reaction - that outpouring of emotion - will probably never be seen again. And I think that's a big part of what the TP reveal has going for it when people look back fondly at that special moment in time. We all cheered along with them. We all felt what we were hearing coming from that crowd.

I'd be happy with the 2010 show, the amount of games that had.

Just every game topped.

It's true. That moment I saw that trailer and heard the fans cheering, I couldn't help from doing the same.

HylianTom

Banned
I imagine if Ubi is showing off WiiU stuff, then EA might as well on Monday.

but would that require Nintendo doing some sort of pre-E3 reveal? Imagine if the new controller didn't leak, but Ubi showed it off the day before? maybe I'm overthinking it and they'll just show a sizzle reel with in-game footage.

If Ubi and/or EA does a demo of the games coming to Wii U/PS360, we'll see a demo of those games - but it'll be using the standard 360 controller.

That'd be my bet.

Vinci

Danish
Being a big deal and being GOOD are often mutually exclusive things.

Example: Street Fighter X Tekken.

Okay, look... Stop shitting all over the potential for a good Mickey Mouse platformer again. That's all I want. I've been wanting one for over a decade now!

*weeps*

Aguila

#ICONIC

omg, Nintendo is going to blow us all away with their glorious line-up of first/second/third party games. They are probably even going to invent fourth party games just for us!
133161111919.gif

Nah, I think this one is setting up to be the best. Again IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom