• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lord Fruity said:
They gave Dragon Age 2 7/10, therefore their opinion is invalid.

that's just their opinion, it can't be valid or invalid, but 7/10 for DA2 shows that their opinion doesn't matter to me.

Game reviews are in the same state of movie reviews now. Completely non-relevant for the general public. Why should I trust an opinion of a man/woman/transgender person who plays 100 games a year and therefore can't appreciate them fully? They have a different perspective because they are forced to do it. If I had to play TW2 just because I need to write a review I would hate it too.

edit: Edge will also give it 6/10 or 7/10.

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
Nope.

Hopefully there will be some numbers with posting.
Judging from all the positive reviews and the HUGE thread here, I would guess the numbers could be great.

Nice job with the |OT| by the way.

Zeliard

Sword of the Dun Banner is a sexy piece of work. Anyone snag it? It's part of the Death Symbolized quest.

You get it from the wraith if you manage to fool him into thinking you took part in the battle. I guessed on a couple questions and somehow still got it the first try, heh.

And as far as that review, it's just another opinion, but what I do find quite amusing and interesting is this notion the reviewer puts forth that the lack of quest markers for many objectives is somehow a glitch, as opposed to a purposeful design decision. Says a lot of about the capacity of gamers these days to function with no hand-holding, I think. He literally thinks it's a glitch or a bug when the game isn't pointing you in the exact direction to go.

The fact that many quests don't tell you exactly where to go, combined with no fast travel option, means you actually have to explore the game world. I'd much rather things start trending towards that direction again than what games like Bioshock have helped to popularize. Consider how stupid devs must think gamers are for Irrational to feel the need to stick what is literally a gigantic golden arrow at the top of the screen constantly nudging you in the right direction; it might as well have been a sign with an arrow that read "This Way, Stupid."

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DennisK4 said:
Judging from all the positive reviews and the HUGE thread here, I would guess the numbers could be great.

Nice job with the |OT| by the way.

yes, the thread moves faster than L.A. Noire OT.

Finished 2nd playthrough, this time with Roach I'm kind of blown away by how much decisions impact the game especially compared to the Witcher 1.

As far as plot I think Iorveth's path is my favorite.

Tokubetsu said:
Cant swing sword endlessly and kill everything is my guess.

There's quite a few issues with the combat. I've argued and still would argue that a "6" for the overall game is insane, but a "6" to gameplay is possibly fair. The combat of TW2 is the exact opposite of the presentation and technical values: unambitious and outdated.

Kyaw

Where can i get that Operator's staff? Is it a Roche's path thing?

Also testing out my dropbox hosting: (Dragon Scale armour on my Geralt)

witcher2-2011-05-24-15-38-50-24.png

Hmm I wanna know that too. I'm attempting the pitiful Iorveth side (lol) on my playthrough now but I'm only on Chapter 1 so I got a long ways to go.

Also fuuuck I gave up on the Operator staff quest. He kicked my ass way too much. I found it lame that you get some really really cool loot late in chapter 3 (when there's so little game left after that) but I guess it was a smart decision since the stuff makes fights easier due to how powerful they are.

Kyaw said:
Where can i get that Operator's staff? Is it a Roche's path thing?

Also testing out my dropbox hosting: (Dragon Scale armour on my Geralt)

Them textures.

What will we do between this and the next PC exclusive.

knitoe

Discotheque said:
Hmm I wanna know that too. I'm attempting the pitiful Iorveth side (lol) on my playthrough now but I'm only on Chapter 1 so I got a long ways to go.

Also fuuuck I gave up on the Operator staff quest. He kicked my ass way too much. I found it lame that you get some really really cool loot late in chapter 3 (when there's so little game left after that) but I guess it was a smart decision since the stuff makes fights easier due to how powerful they are.
I played hard the entire game, but has to drop to easy to beat the Operator. Him and his pets do way too much damage on the other difficulties. Without shield spell, We talking 2 hits you dead.

Kyaw

VisanidethDM said:
Them textures.

What will we do between this and the next PC exclusive.

Man, i really love the armour and clothing textures. They are so detailed.

Skyrim and Risen 2 are coming out soon but they aren't exactly PC exclusives.
They do look good however.

Solo

So far I am preferring Chapter 1 to Chapter 2. Flotsam just had this lovely ethereal atmosphere to it, especially out in the forest, while the (Roche path) military camp doesn't have that same allure. So far the quests from Flotsam seemed a bit more varied too, although I think some major shit is about to go down for me in Chapter 2.

DennisK4 said:
Have CD Projekt said anything about sales?

He lives!?

Kyaw

Well... Vergen (Dwarve town) really is a lot better than Flotsam. The atmosphere and background music is lovely. Especially the night music.

Solo

I am not there though. At least not yet. The military camp feels like a military camp should, but as such lacks that unique and whimsical vibe Flotsam had.

Kyaw

Solo said:
I am not there though. At least not yet. The military camp feels like a military camp should, but as such lacks that unique and whimsical vibe Flotsam had.

You dont get there unless you choose Iorveth. I think you do get there for a battle or something but no so sure. You will find out. :)

Zeliard

I think you'd enjoy the Iorvath path more, Solo. Vergen is a nice setting and that side of the cast is probably more enjoyable. Does
Zoltan tag along if you go with Roche? I assume not given his link to the Squirrels.

Plus the situation with Stennis. Just crazy. I'll say no more.

Oh wow, lol. There's a reference to Paul the octopus in the Fight Club quest in Flotsam.

If you throw the last fight Dandelion wakes you up as you lie sprawled outside Loredo's estate.

He says something along the lines of "I bet on you. Everyone bet on you. Even the little kayran that they keep around here predicted that you'd win

Kyaw said:
Well... Vergen (Dwarve town) really is a lot better than Flotsam. The atmosphere and background music is lovely. Especially the night music.

You only get to go there if you go with Iorveth though don't you?

Man... I totally took the wrong direction if that's the case :(

Zeliard said:
I think you'd enjoy the Iorvath path more, Solo. Vergen is a nice setting and that side of the cast is probably more enjoyable. Does
Zoltan tag along if you go with Roche? I assume not given his link to the Squirrels.

He does, but he's not happy with you.

What difficulty setting do you guys recommend? I started out on normal and the first 30 min we hellish, but now it isn't that hard. Should I go to hard or will the game become more challenging in the later chapters?

Tacitus_

Domcorleone said:
What difficulty setting do you guys recommend? I started out on normal and the first 30 min we hellish, but now it isn't that hard. Should I go to hard or will the game become more challenging in the later chapters?

Difficulty will remain about the same after you get over the crazy difficulty in the start of the game.

Salaadin

Lostconfused said:
You people need to relax. The military camp is great.
I agree. Maybe not the camp itself bit the outside of it is gorgeous.
Also, the camp at night from a distance with all the little fires going...awesome

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
So where's this patch? I stopped after finishing chapter 1 so they could fix a few issues/improve performance.

Itll be released this evening, Polish time. I think midnight in Poland is 5:00 EST US so Id say expect it anytime between now and 5:00 EST.

Internal tests of Patch 1.1 are well under way. Our current target is to release it this evening. Please note that although we are doing our best to have it ready by then, the time still may change in order to be completely sure that the patch will function properly. This is our primary concern since there are significant changes and upgrades that will affect many users.

1. Simpler and more reliable game installation and activation. Details to be revealed soon.

2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

8. nVidia surround vision now works properly.

9. More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

10. Removed a bug that prevented completion of the “Blood Curse” quest.

11. Fixed a bug that prevented the additional link in "Extras" from being unlocked after winning the dice game against the GOG.com monk.

12. GOG.com credits now work properly.

The full list of all changes will be available upon the release of the patch. If you have experienced any issues that are not on the list above, please don't worry. We have already started working on the next patch, which will address other difficulties and bugs, including those related to specific hardware setups; e.g.. Logitech g35. You may expect this second patch to be ready next week.

Patch 1.1 will be available for all the versions of the game, both retail and digital, except for Russian. However, we would like to assure our Russian fans that we are aware of the problems with the your version of the game (thanks for your reports!) and we are talking with 1C about possible solutions.

WOW @ the 5-30% performance increase. Game runs great for me but Ill take any extra fps they want to give. Thats GREAT news for those who have spent the past week exe swapping and ini tweaking to try and get the game to run better.

Solo

Zeliard said:

Zoltan
is there.
Stennis
is too, kinda - I found him
dead on a battlefield, lol. Looted his sword
!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Salaadin said:
WOW @ the 5-30% performance increase.

Corky said:
For the sake of experiment I tried Flotsam with the fix. I don't have the before screen but it was like usual, which was around 15 fps with uber enabled in the gallows area.

New result :

witcher22011-05-2414-26sft.png

Again, ultra + uber + tweaks ( ssao/bloom/dof = off ), a staggering 3X increase in performance.

What does a factor of 3 translate into percentage increase? 200%?

Corky said:

What fix are you talking about?

Lostconfused said:
You people need to relax. The military camp is great.

I'm relaxed... and it's all good, I don't mind because I'm going to play the game through again (I hope - it's just a long way away, but I can always re-load a previous save a little bit back and do it all again from there - but I won't I'll just start again).

Has anyone used the magic skill tree yet? Don't see many people saying they went that path.

On my second play through I'm going to go alchemy and mainly not even use my swords, just fight everything from a distance with bombs traps and daggers.

Oh, I bought the two Witcher books today too :) Got the good quality cover versions with the embossing on the covers. Knew the guy working at the store so got store discount and got both books for the price of one :D

Zeliard

Solo said:
Zoltan
is there.
Stennis
is too, kinda - I found him
dead on a battlefield, lol. Looted his sword
!

The stuff that happens with Stennis in Vergen is pretty awesome. I don't even want to spoil it.

And I went one path with it. Given the choice involved, going the other way probably produces a much different outcome.

Still remains to be seen what the end result is.

Solo

No one is worked up. Just stating my preference (so far) for Chapter 1's setting and quests to Chapter's 2 setting and quests.

Jenga

Banned
speaking of the books, wasn't another one being released soon?

i think someone mentioned it would release around now to coincide with W2

couldn't find a mention on amazon

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:
What fix are you talking about?

I'm relaxed... and it's all good, I don't mind because I'm going to play the game through again (I hope - it's just a long way away, but I can always re-load a previous save a little bit back and do it all again from there - but I won't I'll just start again).

Has anyone used the magic skill tree yet? Don't see many people saying they went that path.

On my second play through I'm going to go alchemy and mainly not even use my swords, just fight everything from a distance with bombs traps and daggers.

Oh, I bought the two Witcher books today too :) Got the good quality cover versions with the embossing on the covers. Knew the guy working at the store so got store discount and got both books for the price of one :D

Ive been mostly swords with some magic thrown in. I will say that fully upgraded Aard and Igni are too useful for crowd control. The ability to knock several enemies onto their ass at once and then ingite them a second later...badass.

sflufan

Banned
Jenga said:
speaking of the books, wasn't another one being released soon?

i think someone mentioned it would release around now to coincide with W2

couldn't find a mention on amazon

Times of Contempt is due for English publication in May 2012.

Zeliard

Salaadin said:
Ive been mostly swords with some magic thrown in. I will say that fully upgraded Aard and Igni are too useful for crowd control. The ability to knock several enemies onto their ass at once and then ingite them a second later...badass.

I dig the bomb + sign combos, like Dragon's Dream + Igni.

Nothing quite like lighting the air on fire with Geralt and watching things burn.

Salaadin

Zeliard said:
I dig the bomb + sign combos, like Dragon's Dream + Igni.

Nothing quite like lighting the air on fire with Geralt and watching things burn.

Thats my favorite thing to do at the moment. I even kite enemies around to group them together better just so I can ignite everything at once.

Echoplx

Corky said:

What version? Retail/Steam?

Salaadin said:
Itll be released this evening, Polish time. I think midnight in Poland is 5:00 EST US so Id say expect it anytime between now and 5:00 EST.

WOW @ the 5-30% performance increase. Game runs great for me but Ill take any extra fps they want to give. Thats GREAT news for those who have spent the past week exe swapping and ini tweaking to try and get the game to run better.

No mention of the high res bug, hope they fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom