• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Chapter 2 Vergen side is full of LOTR references. As soon as I saw that the foreman of the mine's name was Balin, I knew what was up. Fly, you fools! :lol

Zeliard said:
lol I considered it but
walked back to Geralt with Dandelion because I didn't want to possibly blow a chance at Geralt getting with her. I figured if I just took Geralt down he'd be able to deal with it either way. What ends up happening with Dandelion?

Jenga said:
he has great sex

Jenga said:
it's also something dandalion would do

I love Zoltan, but Dandelion is just the best. His relationship with Geralt is really nicely outlined in their interactions. Although Geralt thinks he's a bit of a clown he's still a mate, so he's always got his back no matter what stupid thing he does. And Geralt has saved his arse so many times that he'd do anything to help him, but he hangs around him because their friends, not out of some kind of hero worship.

Having him write the journal was a stroke of genius.

Edit:

Proposed Law said:

I hope that it's happening but I would also like to remind everyone that Kotaku probably got that from the GAF thread about it.

MickeyKnox said:
Kayran armour is not that great, you can go Dragon armour from the elf craftsman by the gate if you went Iorveth or you are given 2 increasingly better armours if you go Roach.

Which gate exactly? I see an elf craftsmen near a castle in vergen. But thats it.

Revolutionary said:
Damn, Chapter 2 Vergen side is full of LOTR references. As soon as I saw that the foreman of the mine's name was Balin, I knew what was up. Fly, you fools! :lol

There was also a reference to someone named Gondor! (there was a random NPC named Gondor too)

There was ever a Wolfenstein 3D reference!

Varna

mercenar1e said:
As detailed earlier today, Gop also revealed that CD Projekt is getting ready to announce a new Witcher title at E3 next month.

Expansion pack or console port?

Please let it be a Tales of the Sword coast type expansion.

gdt

I don't have either a wired 360 controller, or a wireless dongle to use it on my PC, how does it work with a DS3/via motionjoy (something I've never used before....)

Best place to buy a wireless dongle? Can't seem to find it on Amazon...

Red

Ugh. Just realized I've been forgetting to level up. At level 6 and this is the first time I've distributed ability points.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tokubetsu said:
I just got WAY too excited at the prospect of both. Like clench up, big ass grin excited. Mor of my GOTY!

25 hr expansion!
I'll buy Witcher 2 twice. Hell, probably a third to give my brother for his birthday.

gdt

Square Triangle said:
PC Gaming noob question:

I'm looking to get a pre-built PC (I know, I know) I just don't have the time nor patience to build one piece by piece. Would this computer do justice for playing Witcher 2? Keep in mind I have never gotten into PC gaming aside from playing CSS on my roommates PC lol.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Elite+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1244663.p?id=1218240959102&skuId=1244663

I'm a little less noob than you, and I can already, easily, say no. No no no no no no no.

How did I do Master Race?

Red

Square Triangle said:
PC Gaming noob question:

I'm looking to get a pre-built PC (I know, I know) I just don't have the time nor patience to build one piece by piece. Would this computer do justice for playing Witcher 2? Keep in mind I have never gotten into PC gaming aside from playing CSS on my roommates PC lol.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Elite+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+8GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1244663.p?id=1218240959102&skuId=1244663
Very poor choice. GPU is not a gaming card.

You could build a much more powerful gaming machine for that price or cheaper.

Even paying someone to build a rig for you, you could get a machine to just about max out W2, minus ubersampling, for the same price BB is asking for that PC.

Okay. Is there anything offered on BestBuy.com that anyone can find that would be a good prebuilt? I realize it's cheaper to buy it piece by piece.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Square Triangle said:
Okay. Is there anything offered on BestBuy.com that anyone can find that would be a good prebuilt? I realize it's cheaper to buy it piece by piece.
Buy a newegg supercombo then watch the build a gaming pc video on youtube.

Red

Square Triangle said:
God damn it.
I realize you think you don't have the patience, but we are trying to help. You'd likely be saving yourself a couple hundred bucks.

There are people here who would gladly tell you exactly what parts to buy, and all you'd have to do is add to cart and have someone assemble it for you.

1stStrike

Banned
Square Triangle said:

If you're going to go for a pre-built there's better options then BestBuy. Check out the thread Crunched linked to and you'll find some great advice on pre-builts that should cater to your needs from the people there. Just make it clear that you don't want to build one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, I wouldn't get too hyped about a Witcher 2 console release. The game's amazing, but remember how bad of ports Risen and Arcania were? I sure do hope that they can pull it off though.

Red

zoner said:
Also, I wouldn't get too hyped about a Witcher 2 console release. The game's amazing, but remember how bad of ports Risen and Arcania were? I sure do hope that they can pull it off though.
I'd imagine longer load times and medium graphics with some effects disabled. Also much lower res textures. But the game was clearly designed with consoles in mind. It controls great with a 360 pad.

zoner said:

Well, gameplay wise it already works perfectly with a controller. I guess you're talking about graphics?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
LaserBuddha said:
Well, gameplay wise it already works perfectly with a controller. I guess you're talking about graphics?
Yes. Risen controlled... fine. But flat grass, flat grass, and more flat grass.

1stStrike

Banned
If/when this game is ported to consoles I don't believe, at least on PS3, that it'll suffer too bad. Think of Uncharted 2/3 and if you compare The Witcher 2's environments, it's not that much larger. Sure, there's some exploration, but it's still streaming and doesn't have environments on the same scale as say, Oblivion.

So, while you'd see textures scaled down, I believe it'll still look great overall and control without any issues. As was said, it was designed with console controls in mind, and with a bit of optimization it should run great on consoles. They can toss it all onto one disk on the PS3 and still have minimal loading screens (as Naughty dog has proven is possible) with a great looking game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
1stStrike said:
If/when this game is ported to consoles I don't believe, at least on PS3, that it'll suffer too bad. Think of Uncharted 2/3 and if you compare The Witcher 2's environments, it's not that much larger. Sure, there's some exploration, but it's still streaming and doesn't have environments on the same scale as say, Oblivion.

So, while you'd see textures scaled down, I believe it'll still look great overall and control without any issues. As was said, it was designed with console controls in mind, and with a bit of optimization it should run great on consoles. They can toss it all onto one disk on the PS3 and still have minimal loading screens (as Naughty dog has proven is possible) with a great looking game.
Right, but Uncharted 2 is a case of a console exclusive developer who has worked with that technology before. Who can also go to Sony at any time and be like, hey we need some help. Witcher 2 is a case of a PC exclusive developer, who has NEVER worked with consoles(other than whatever work they got done on Rise of the White Wolf) much less something as different as a PS3.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Square Triangle said:

I just took a look through their desktops and they have nothing with a decent graphics card, yet their high end systems are like 800-1000 bucks. That's ridiculous. I just whipped together a decent rig on the memory express system builder and made something that stomps a mudhole through anything on Bestbuys site for 650 Canadian.

Seriously, build one yourself. Check your local computer shops, most places will sell you the parts and assemble it for you, assembly might set you back $50.

cuevas said:
Probably been asked a million times already but, should I play the witcher 1 or just read the stuff in the OP?

The Witcher is a fantastic game, absolutely play through it first.

Wallach

Square Triangle said:

None of them really offer decent out-of-the-box graphics from what I can see so far. Are you using BB for gift card reasons? Otherwise I think you'd be better off using a place like Ibuypower.com.

Achievement Unlocked: Fat Man. Success!

Thanks to Snuggler, who suggested to use a bunch of bombs. So I spammed 17 grapeshots in a row and whittled down his armor.

Then thanks to MickeyKnox, who suggested I just use Quen and heavy attacks only! He didn't stand a chance.

Starting with Chapter 3, I may push the difficulty up to Hard.

MY GOD this game is so good.

I just saw some screen shots from the HD screenshot thread and there is just no way that you can not play it through twice, you're missing such a huge chunk of the game. It kind of sucks to have to go through flotsam twice, but I suppose it's not so bad and the second run through when you're not taking your time I imagine it will be a whole lot quicker. It will be a lot of fun to see what it will be like to speed through the first part of the game the second time through and choose a different skill tree path that time too.

Not sure if I want to bump it up to hard on the second play through, but probably will.

Has anyone gone through flotsam just being a murderous bastard just killing everyone and seen how that prevails?

I'll take a look at custom rigs, I appreciate you guys being honest with me on. The more I look at it, I'd rather not get one at all compared to getting ripped off =/ I do get a discount on Dell/Alienware from my work- 15-20% off. Still worth building your own?

Erudite

Square Triangle said:
God damn it.
If you don't want to build it yourself, find a computer place in your area that will do it for you. Still much better to pay someone to do it then buying a pre-built. I got a retail NCIX store to put it together for me for $25.

Wallach

Square Triangle said:
I'll take a look at custom rigs, I appreciate you guys being honest with me on. The more I look at it, I'd rather not get one at all compared to getting ripped off =/ I do get a discount on Dell/Alienware from my work- 15-20% off. Still worth building your own?

Does that discount apply to Dell's website? If so I think you can definitely get something from there, and the price might still be better than Ibuypower (though those guys still have really good prices for pre-built gaming rigs). Let me go see what I can see.

Square Triangle said:

Don't worry about building it. I was afraid to do it last year but once it got down to it there were pretty much no problems. I hooked one thing up wrong but figured it out pretty quickly with the help of the guys in the PC building thread.

There is so much help out there you shouldn't really worry about it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've always heard ibp's pre-built pcs aren't so sturdily screwed together. I imagine if you're not fiddling too much with it, you'll be fine though.

edit: that said, they've got a prebuilt pc up there with as good of specs as a newegg combo for a lower price.

1stStrike

Banned
zoner said:
Right, but Uncharted 2 is a case of a console exclusive developer who has worked with that technology before. Who can also go to Sony at any time and be like, hey we need some help. Witcher 2 is a case of a PC exclusive developer, who has NEVER worked with consoles(other than whatever work they got done on Rise of the White Wolf) much less something as different as a PS3.

Right, but I have a lot of faith in them. Look at what they've pulled off with less staff and less money. Now that they're bringing in money on this game, and adding to their staff, I'm confident that they'll put out a quality product. They're not the kind of company that's going to do a half ass port and toss it out there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Square Triangle said:

About a year ago you could have built something okay on Dell. Right now, they don't have any Sandy Bridge CPU(other than hugely overpriced Alienware PCs), and well, Sandy Bridge is so easily overclockable that I would not want to pass that up today.

Come to the PC thread and we'll help you out.

If you don't want to build it yourself, you have options. You could get a local PC shop to order the parts and build it for you, or you could order off a site like NCIXUS that will offer to build it for you as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TheExodu5 said:
About a year ago you could have built something okay on Dell. Right now, they don't have any Sandy Bridge CPU(other than hugely overpriced Alienware PCs), and well, Sandy Bridge is so easily overclockable that I would not want to pass that up today.
I think if someone's buying a pre-built pc, they're not that worried about overclocking.

TheExodu5

Banned
zoner said:
I think if someone's buying a pre-built pc, they're not that worried about overclocking.

My point is that the overclocking ability of these CPUs is pretty huge, and it's so easy to do that it's hard not to pass it up.

However, if they would have even had a regular it 2500, I would have looked into them. Since they're just selling the 3 year old i7 series...well that makes it a pretty tough sale.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:

This is what I was coming back here to say. None of their desktops are using SB chips yet, and I think the Alienware's are probably at best going to be only a little more expensive than just using a custom build site like IBP.

Carm

I finished a quest in Act 2 yesterday morning and still tonight, it's annoying the shit out of me thinking about it. Listen up developers, if you have AI controlled companions with the player, in tight spaces, turn off collision detection on the AI ones for the players, so they can walk right through them. Fuck the three little dwarfs making me reload lol.

The fuckers would either get me stuck or stand in a doorway and be stuck, or stand in a doorway I just opened. I would auto walked through, into the gaping maws of the monsters with no way to retreat back into the original room.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:
This is what I was coming back here to say. None of their desktops are using SB chips yet, and I think the Alienware's are probably at best going to be only a little more expensive than just using a custom build site like IBP.

For an i5 2500K @ 3.8GHz and 6870 system, they're charging $1500. :|

That's a $1000 custom build, at best. Consider that they probably cheap out quite a bit on some parts (power supply)...it's not a very attractive buy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TheExodu5 said:

That's a $1000 custom build, at best. Consider that they probably cheap out quite a bit on some parts (power supply)...it's not a very attractive buy.
yeah, there's an i7 build on ibp for 1169. I guess it's the power of branding.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TheExodu5 said:

Jesus Christ. That's robbery.

Carm said:
I finished a quest in Act 2 yesterday morning and still tonight, it's annoying the shit out of me thinking about it. Listen up developers, if you have AI controlled companions with the player, in tight spaces, turn off collision detection on the AI ones for the players, so they can walk right through them. Fuck the three little dwarfs making me reload lol.

The fuckers would either get me stuck or stand in a doorway and be stuck, or stand in a doorway I just opened. I would auto walked through, into the gaping maws of the monsters with no way to retreat back into the original room.
Dwarves have short legs. Just stay way ahead of them at all times and it's not so bad. In the first game Geralt would just shove anyone he collided with =D

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:

Alienware? Yeah, but he said he had a 15-20% discount, which could be like $300 off that build. Basically paying ~$200 for build/software and the Dell warranty (which admittedly is pretty good). Without the discount there's no real reason to use Dell.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom