• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Shahadan said:
Seriously do you have this annoying bug where Geralt is stuck in combat mode, sword in hands, but can't attack at all? I'm getting sick of it.

YES

This is fucking annoying.

I find it happens at times when I'm trying to switch to traps or bombs, which I do a lot given that I'm an Alchemy build.

Shahadan

Bisnic said:
Also, is there unlimited bag spaces or something? I don't see bag slots or anything similar to Witcher 1.

there is a mod setting objects weight to 0 but that's it. No conventional method.

DangerStepp

Zeliard said:
YES

I find it happens at times when I'm trying to switch to traps or bombs, which I do a lot given that I'm an Alchemy build.
Yup, I've had this happen more than once and it ploughing sucks.
On the other hand, I'll make apologies for almost anything concerning this game.

How come it seems the STEAM version of this game is NOT the way to go? I've read nothing but worrysome reports of folks having endless troubles with it.

Thank goodness I went with the GOG version.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Shahadan said:
there is a mod setting objects weight to 0 but that's it. No conventional method.

Yeah i saw the weight meter on the inventory, figured it was that now rather than bag slots.

Shahadan

Zeliard said:
YES

It happens to me when I switch to signs. I guess it's the same problem. hope it'll be corrected in the patch :(

Also, I can't ever use the last bomb/trap I have in my inventory.

1stStrike

Banned
Shahadan said:
Seriously do you have this annoying bug where Geralt is stuck in combat mode, sword in hands, but can't attack at all? I'm getting sick of it.

Pressing escape and then escape again to go back fixes it for me.

I'm waiting on the patch before I start my second play through as I couldn't even register to get the DLC since the registration is all kinds of fucked up.

Zeliard

Shahadan said:
It happens to me when I switch to signs. I guess it's the same problem. hope it'll be corrected in the patch :(

Also, I can't ever use the last bomb/trap I have in my inventory.

I'm almost certain it has something to do with the radial menu. It's like sometimes if you switch stuff too fast and get in and out of the radial menu quickly, it doesn't properly detect that you've left the menu so shit gets screwy.

1stStrike said:

I do this when it happens but it doesn't help.

Shawsie64

Banned
DangerStepp said:
Yup, I've had this happen more than once and it ploughing sucks.
On the other hand, I'll make apologies for almost anything concerning this game.

How come it seems the STEAM version of this game is NOT the way to go? I've read nothing but worrysome reports of folks having endless troubles with it.

Thank goodness I went with the GOG version.

This is the ONLY time iv not bought something on steam that was available on it and im kind of glad now.. never thought id say that =/

1stStrike

Banned
Well, aside from not being able to register to get DLC, I've had no issues with the retail version. I actually still have an extra, still sealed, version of it since amazon decided to send me 2 for the price of 1. Debating on whether to sell it or not.

Shahadan

1stStrike said:

Haha I tried that and even changed my sword in the inventory a few times, it worked two times where I was lucky, but that's it :(
Thank god for quicksaves.

No trouble with Steam here. I think most of the troubles were day one things such as not being able to see our CD Key to get the DLC and people not knowing to go to the "Tools" section to get the extra content. Those were both fixed on the first or second day though.

thetrin said:
Don't feel bad. I had the same problem.

Yep. I posted about it earlier. You have two options:

1) If you're out in the field, just wait a bit, and you'll get the ability back.

2) If you're in town, save and reload your game.

3) Take damage and the controls unlock immediately.

Shahadan

jim-jam bongs said:

Unfortunately not for me. I just died three times because of this bug in the La Valette castle with 5 knights chasing after me while I was running around with m sword glued to my hands.
Benny hill music would have done wonders here :p

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Minsc said:
Looking through my screenshots is a real treat in this game, I can't believe how much the texture work to this game walks all over everything else I've played. The detail in the robes is incredible, down to the individual stitches.

And almost every character's outfit is equally detailed, even if there is the occasional clipping problem.

Man, this game is fucking insane. Personally, I think it shits all over Crysis 2 and even that game looked drop dead gorgeous. I fucking love the art in this game, too.

Zeliard

Character designs in this game are something special, especially clothing. I'm always amazed at scenes in Witcher 2 that feature several characters, because everybody looks distinct. And characters who are specifically meant to look fashionable just look amazing.

Anyone try buying this from Atari's website? My coworker gave me a voucher code for this and when I finished downloading this and I tried to install it, it said that I was missing part 20. Parts 1 through 19 downloaded successfully, but I guess I'm missing part 20? I've never ever seen a pc game before where different parts had to be downloaded - very strange. Anyone know what's going on here?

Shahadan said:
Unfortunately not for me. I just died three times because of this bug in the La Valette castle with 5 knights chasing after me while I was running around with m sword glued to my hands.
Benny hill music would have done wonders here :p

Whoah, then that's a new one on me. Every time I've had it happen I just needed to stand in the fire to get control back, that sucks dude. I hope they have a few little fixes in this patch for stuff like that then.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jim-jam bongs said:
This is a different bug. He's talking about not being able to put your sword away. You're talking about not being able to do ANYTHING.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
This is a different bug. He's talking about not being able to put your sword away. You're talking about not being able to do ANYTHING.

I think we were both talking about the one where you can't do anything. When this bug happens literally the only thing that works is WASD for movement. You completely lose mouse control, even to spin the camera, as well as other keys like Q, E, etc. And it only happens during combat. It's almost without a doubt related to the radial menu.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
I think we were both talking about the one where you can't do anything. When this bug happens literally the only thing that works is WASD for movement. You completely lose mouse control, even to spin the camera, as well as other keys like Q, E, etc. And it only happens during combat. It's almost without a doubt related to the radial menu.
Ok, well the guy you replied to was talking about the one where he couldn't put his sword away after combat.

Zeliard

thetrin said:
Ok, well the guy you replied to was talking about the one where he couldn't put his sword away after combat.

I think you're confused about something, heh. :p

Shahadan and I are referring to the same bug, and it happens *during* combat.

Ningo

Finished last night, amazing game.
Although for some reason I lost the ability to use bombs and traps mid chapter 3 and so had to rely on sword and signs till completion.
The bombs I made would simply not be in my inventory after I made them.
Seemed to happen after inventory is taken when arrested and put in dungeon

Hulud

I think this is the best looking video game ever released. It's not often that great art and great tech come together to form such a cohesive package.

Zeliard said:
I think you're confused about something, heh. :p

Shahadan and I are referring to the same bug, and it happens *during* combat.
Wait you aren't my alt account? Now I'm confused too :\

Anyway, it might be the same bug but it's never hit me so hard I couldn't even break out by taking damage which was what surprised me. So annoying though, I wouldn't even consider starting an insane run if it weren't possible to reload the game anytime you like.

leng jai

Very promising so far. My retail CE is running close to 15fps faster on a 2500k and GTX570. Initial load up is also much snappier now.

Zeliard

ColonialRaptor said:
So does the patch ad a box to store items and stuff or is it deliberate to limit your storage space (which I think is a shitty idea).

I elaborated on this in a previous post but the weight limit is important because it balances out the alchemy portion of gameplay. It's cool if they want to add that option for people, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick.

I missed it in my game but I think if you pick up that ability in Prologue that gives you something like 50 extra weight units, it's effective enough.

Zeliard said:
I elaborated on this in a previous post but the weight limit is important because it balances out the alchemy portion of gameplay. It's cool if they want to add that option for people, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick.

I missed it in my game but I think if you pick up that ability in Prologue that gives you something like 50 extra weight units, it's effective enough.

I had 300 weight limit in my game, not sure if I missed that ability or not.

Wasn't even aware there was an ability for that.

Zeliard

DualShadow said:
I had 300 weight limit in my game, not sure if I missed that ability or not.

Wasn't even aware there was an ability for that.

Nope, you got it. Default is 250.

You can view your abilities in your character screen.

Van Buren

DualShadow said:
Oh cool, didn't even know I got it.

I didn't realize those abilities actually did anything.

I got quite a few of those hidden abilities the first time through, including extra fire damage for standing too often on campfires.

Zeliard

DualShadow said:
Oh cool, didn't even know I got it.

I didn't realize those abilities actually did anything.

The character screen should tell you what they do.

I have several, like Anatomy Lesson with adds 10% damage to humans, Strong Stomach which adds +10% poison resistance, and Haggling which reduces all prices in shops by 20% (I didn't even know I had that one till I looked at it just now).

Can't say I'm sure how I got most of those. You get them doing certain quests or hitting certain dialogue triggers, I think, but it doesn't seem to prompt you when you've gotten a new ability so it's hard to know what led to it.

Varna

Just finished it... Game of the year for me easily. Nothing in the past few years even comes close to the experience in The Witcher 2 (well, Demon's Souls is up there too). After chapter 2 I was dreading the final segment... all the talk about how short a abrupt it was did get to me. I was very surprised at how satisfied I felt once the credits started rolling. Last segment is definitely lean, but it didn't hurt my enjoyment (or maybe I was just prepared for it). The story is nicely concluded and obviously there will be a sequel.

I kind of hope they do something like Dragon Age: Origin. Release new quest as DLC to add a bit more length to the campaign. It's Definitely shorter then the original game. I did everything there was to do and I clocked 40 hours. Next game will probably only take me 30.

Zeliard

Varna said:
Just finished it... Game of the year for me easily. Nothing in the past few years even comes close to the experience in The Witcher 2 (well, Demon's Souls is up there too). After chapter 2 I was dreading the final segment... all the talk about how short a abrupt it was did get to me. I was very surprised at how satisfied I felt once the credits started rolling. Last segment is definitely lean, but it didn't hurt my enjoyment (or maybe I was just prepared for it). The story is nicely concluded and obviously there will be a sequel.

I kind of hope they do something like Dragon Age: Origin. Release new quest as DLC to add a bit more length to the campaign. It's Definitely shorter then the original game. I did everything there was to do and I clocked 40 hours. Next game will probably only take me 30.

Maybe not. CDPR likely spent a significant portion of Witcher 2's development time on its engine, and now that they have that and a whole bunch of high-quality art assets, Witcher 3 should come sooner and be larger.

Varna

Zeliard said:
Maybe not. CDPR likely spent a significant portion of Witcher 2's development time on its engine, and now that they have that and a whole bunch of high-quality art assets, Witcher 3 should come sooner and be larger.

I meant my next playthrough. :)

Non-human side this time and if it weren't so late I would probably start it right now. This game is an instant classic for me. I really hope it continues to get support. I really enjoy the thought of a good expansion for it.

Zeliard

Varna said:
I meant my next playthrough. :)

Non-human side this time and if it weren't so late I would probably start it right now. This game is an instant classic for me. I really hope it continues to get support. I really enjoy the thought of a good expansion for it.

Ah gotcha.

Yeah, replayability of this game is quite huge. When Chapter 2 seems to be something like 90% different depending on the path you take, it's very worth it to play the game again. I do replay RPGs I've beaten but usually only after some time has passed, but with Witcher 2 I can see myself jumping back in quickly due to that enormous branching path.

Took me 25 hours or so for Chapter 1. I'm sure it's going to take me 30+ for Chapter 2.

Going to be very interesting to see how long the second play through takes because I'm going to burn through it and skip any conversations I've heard before.

Chapter 2 won't be so quick on the second time through though.

Will be playing this game for a long time to come me thinks, however there are more games coming soon, gawd damn, backlog is going to continue to grow forever, it is not possible to do everything you want to do :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom