• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
jling84 said:
Quick questions for people who were suffering from the CRC data error:

I just sent e-mails to both GoG support and tw2support@thewitcher.com regarding my problem installing. On GoG I can't find any record of my sending a message to the tech support. Where can I find this?

Also, how quickly should I expect a response from either of them? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind I just got a response from CDP RED tech support and they are going to give me the GoG version! Yay!

OK WTF!

I sent ANOTHER 2 emails this morning and still havent heard from them since sending my details ON LAUNCH DAY.

Seriously. I understand problems happen it sounds like Atari were cheap, but I HAVENT HEARD BACK SINCE LAUNCH DAY. And its $130 CE.

WARP10CK

Banned
Nice game but has anyone else had the problem when it suddenly crashes to desktop. It has done this at-least 5 times now and windows reports no errors either ?
The game seems to just shutdown I have no explanation why

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
&Divius said:
Sweet jesus, this game is rage inducing. I'm still at the very start in chapter one, but I'm getting my ass kicked in every damn battle. I even turned the difficulty down to easy.

I hate to sound like a whiny bitch but I'm so close to just giving up on this game, because I'm simply not having any fun playing it anymore.

1)stop button mashing.
2)roll
3)BLOCK. Almost everything can be blocked.

If you still fail use quen.

subversus

Yoshichan said:
Except for one part... the only part that's been frustrating me was the harpy cave (should I spoiler this?). The last parts of it was just bad game design overall.
What's up with that? You should just kite them through tunnels. No need to fight all of them at once. The cave was pretty easy for me. And once I escaped I just ran away.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
subversus said:
What's up with that? You should just kite them through tunnels. No need to fight all of them at once. The cave was pretty easy for me. And once I escaped I just ran away.
There's one part where you can't even run around and kite them. There are three "alpha male" harpies or whatever they're called and you've just jumped down a small cliff. During the battle, you can't retreat or find a good place to roll or do anything versatile because the area is too small and the hitbox of those harpies is insane.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Salaadin said:
Why does this game look so good? I decided the take the fps hit and turn SSAO on and I think everything looks so much nicer.
Yep, been playing this game for 30+ hours and I still keep saying "wow" every 5 minutes...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I haven't played long so far, and i agree that the game is very impressive, i can't wait to see what's next.

The only thing that i thought where textures could have been a little better is the scar textures on Geralt's body in the prologue(they looked kinda low res compared to everything else), when he is being questioned, but other than that, it's great.

Salaadin

Yoshichan said:
Yep, been playing this game for 30+ hours and I still keep saying "wow" every 5 minutes...

Im still wowed even when I go through an area Ive been in 100 times. Everything just looks so good. I think its Minsc that keeps talking about the texture work and I have to agree. Walking through a camp yesterday and seeing individual stitching on tents, scanning the area and seeing the buildings that look like they were hand crafted in real life. Its all so amazing.

Im beginning to think that its taking me so long to beat it (as opposed to the 25 hours it takes others) because I spend so much time away from quests just exploring and looking around. Im probably about 35 hours now and I just started Act 3. Its going to be a 40+ hour game for me.

Bisnic said:
I haven't played long so far, and i agree that the game is very impressive, i can't wait to see what's next.

The only thing that i thought where textures could have been a little better is the scar textures on Geralt's body in the prologue(they looked kinda low res compared to everything else), when he is being questioned, but other than that, it's great.

There were one or two things that I saw as well that popped out because it looked low res but the vast majority is too good.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yoshichan said:
That's exactly what I ended up doing :lol... put like 200 snars before they popped up. But yeah, it feels so "forced", I didn't enjoy it. I haven't done anything like that in the game before that.

What part, exactly? The end swarm fight? I beat that on my first playthrough with some careful rolling, countering and adrenaline usage. Tough, but totally doable without crazy tricks. I was specced swords for that playthrough.

Quick edit: Playing through my second playthrough as Magic-Alch and I'm not having nearly as much fun as I was with the sword spec. I feel like I rely entirely on Quen as magic. But the Heliotrope or whatever it's called is pretty badass. Whenever I dive into my third playthrough (Will probably put it down and do it when several DLCs are collected) I'm going sword-alch for sure.

subversus

Yoshichan said:
There's one part where you can't even run around and kite them. There are three "alpha male" harpies or whatever they're called and you've just jumped down a small cliff. During the battle, you can't retreat or find a good place to roll or do anything versatile because the area is too small and the hitbox of those harpies is insane.

hm, I had zero problems with this section. Well, there was one place where like 10 garpies including alpha ones descend but I just ran away from them and used a lot of bombs + fast attacks and finishers.

Stahsky

Oh, quick question as I'm not too sure how it works, but the Alch tree has alot of moves that rely on Geralt being poisoned. That means him downing some potions right?

Yoshichan

Oh well, to each his own :p I haven't had trouble throughout the whole game, but that one part was a bit troublesome (I died 2-3 times). It's not as if I was stuck for 5 hours or something - just saying that the fights in this game is always fair - but a place where you barely get any room to dodge was a first :)

Autofokus

WARP10CK said:
Nice game but has anyone else had the problem when it suddenly crashes to desktop. It has done this at-least 5 times now and windows reports no errors either ?
The game seems to just shutdown I have no explanation why
32bit OS and 2+GB ram?

Divius

&Divius said:
Sweet jesus, this game is rage inducing. I'm still at the very start in chapter one, but I'm getting my ass kicked in every damn battle. I even turned the difficulty down to easy.
I hate to sound like a whiny bitch but I'm so close to just giving up on this game, because I'm simply not having any fun playing it anymore.
Ok, I cried to soon. I just got some new weapons, figured out there was a quicksave option and learned how to drink potions (lol). It's all good baby baby.

Stahsky

&Divius said:
Ok, I cried to soon. I just got some new weapons, figured out there was a quicksave option and learned how to drink potions (lol). It's all good baby baby.

The start of the game can be pretty rough to new comers. Keep at it pal. It only gets better.

Van Buren

Sir Garbageman said:
MAJOR Spoilers. Don't highlight unless you've beaten it. I'm curious as to other decisions people made. Here is what I did:

Full game spoilers :
What ?! How did you meet up with Philippa while going with Roche ? I didn't even meet her during my Roche run. Is there a point during Chapter 2 where Geralt can switch sides ?

Just crossed over in Chapter 2.

Wholly crap, Chapter 2 is like 4x as big as Chapter 1. I absolutely love it, everything about this game just keeps on giving and giving more and more every time I play it and I can't stop... and then there is the second play through!

Chapter 2 minor spoiler here re Ves after Tournament
Slammed Ves today as well after my Tournament and the scene was fantastic. I'm glad I allowed that to happen, though I feel guilty for it. I didn't get the heart breaker thing come on the screen though however so I wonder if that only comes up when you say to Triss that you want to settle down? I really hope I don't cop it from Triss later on for that.

Everything that is happening in Chapter 2 seems to be building into something really grand and big, but I really love that although I'm making these choices and things are happening around me and I am affecting the world I am not directing the world, I am only having a minor influence on the happenings of the world and helping many people rather than being a major schemer or anything. Which is what a Witcher is supposed to do. I just fix the monster problems, which is perfect... ahhh damn - so good.

I just started reading the first book too and I've already started to fall in love. The extra level of detail has me absolutely hooked, I'm loving finding out all of these extra things about this world, it's brilliant :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
I think you're confused about something, heh. :p

Shahadan and I are referring to the same bug, and it happens *during* combat.

Oh, hehe, you're right. I was thinking of the bug where you can't put your sword away after combat ends.

Solo said:
Use Quen and bombs/ranged weapons, and ROLL.
I just use Quen III and melee. Quen III forcibly reflects damage on multiple enemies. Also, I AOE igni harpies, which is great fun.

Upgrading signs makes fights a ton of fun. :O

anyone recommend a single book to buy or do I need to get all of them? mainly just interested in background of the characters in the game(s)

Van Buren said:
Full game spoilers :
What ?! How did you meet up with Philippa while going with Roche ? I didn't even meet her during my Roche run. Is there a point during Chapter 2 where Geralt can switch sides ?

Sorry, should have been more clear.
I didn't encounter Phillipa, just chased after her. She was gone when I got there then Hensalt showed up. IIRC correctly the choices were A. go help Ivoreth or B. go after Sile and Phillipa. This is right before Roche falls through the rope bridge.

Kyaw

Man combat is much easier after i got used to it and finished it once.

Blazed through the Ballista fight on hard and the monastery courtyard fight too.
Can't wait for Flotsam and further.

I have a question about a possible Chapter 3 event in case you (spoilers up to Chapter 3):
sided with Iorveth and in Chapter 3 went with Philippa to help Saskia
:

Do you still fight Saskia as a dragon? How do they explain it?

Kyaw

Castor Krieg said:
I have a question about a possible Chapter 3 event in case you (spoilers up to Chapter 3):
sided with Iorveth and in Chapter 3 went with Philippa to help Saskia
:

Do you still fight Saskia as a dragon? How do they explain it?

You do fight Saskia as a dragon.

Solo

ColonialRaptor said:
Chapter 2 minor spoiler here re Ves after Tournament
Slammed Ves today as well after my Tournament and the scene was fantastic. I'm glad I allowed that to happen, though I feel guilty for it. I didn't get the heart breaker thing come on the screen though however so I wonder if that only comes up when you say to Triss that you want to settle down? I really hope I don't cop it from Triss later on for that.

I got that achievement, and I DID tell Triss that. Sorry, man.

Vlodril

Need some help.

On my second playthrough ,
i decided to do the elf part. Any ideas why the board in vergen gives only 2 quests in the journal instead of the 5(?) or so it has on it
?

Not sure its a spoiler but better er on the side of cautiousness.

I finished the
Kayran
fight in chapter 1 last night and honestly it was both awesome and disappointing at the same time. Visually it was very imposing but mechanically it just wasn't very interesting.
Cutting off tenticles -> Quicktime where you can die -> Running up to bomb the monster. Particularly the last two points just felt overly punishing (I know the quicktime event was easy) without much satisfaction (just walking up the ramp and triggering a cut scene) .
It would've been a lot more satisfying if the last bit were more involved for the player.
(ie- actually having to drop the bomb in the kayran's mouth)

Red

Nezabyte said:
No crashes for me throughout my whole playthrough. Really nice considering I crashed a lot in Witcher 1.
1 crash for me so far (chapter 1 right now). No error message or anything. It was right after talking to
Dandelion and Zoltan in the bar. Something happens outside and Triss tells you to investigate, but as soon as I got to the door, the game closed down.

Darklord

Banned
God, chapter 2 is SOOOOO buggy for me. I can barely play the game anymore. It's already forced me to reload an old save about 5 times, bugs so I can't interactive with quest things, characters not doing what they are meant to breaking main quest lines, quest lines not updating, cutscenes happening at the wrong times and breaking the game. Entire quest lines bugging and breaking. Fucking hell. I had no problem in chapter 1 as well.

Solo

Weird, Chap. 2 has been bug free for me. Hell, the entire game has (with the exception of the launcher which is completely borked and will be fixed in the update). In fact, this is easily the least jankiest Eastern European developed game I've ever played.

Enkidu

Solo said:
Weird, Chap. 2 has been bug free for me. Hell, the entire game has (with the exception of the launcher which is completely borked and will be fixed in the update). In fact, this is easily the least jankiest Eastern European developed game I've ever played.
This was my experience as well (except I've had no problems with the launcher either). After reading impressions from some users here I really feel lucky because it would be a shame to have the experience tainted by constant bugs.

Kyaw

Solo said:

Same.

We should plough more prostitutes for those with problems.

Binabik15

I might have my first bug, though :/

I´m in chapter two, idling on the beach where I have a date with a soldier for the Lil sister quest "just before midnight". I can hear him saying that he´ll just wait there for me when I meditate to ~22 o´clock, but I can´t see him. I´m standing right on the fucking "!" symbol. At different times I can´t even hear him. Argh.

Am I doing something very wrong or should I abandon the quest?

Edit: ARGH, found the bastard. I´m supposed to go to the beach while the fucker idles FAR beyond the beach? Brilliant choice of words D:

Salaadin

Binabik15 said:
I might have my first bug, though :/

I´m in chapter two, idling on the beach where I have a date with a soldier for the Lil sister quest "just before midnight". I can hear him saying that he´ll just wait there for me when I meditate to ~22 o´clock, but I can´t see him. I´m standing right on the fucking "!" symbol. At different times I can´t even hear him. Argh.

Am I doing something very wrong or should I abandon the quest?

Hes back a little further. Leave the beach, go up into the grass. Hes standing right somewhere up there

burgerdog

Solo said:

Yup. No problems in the 35 hours it took me to beat the game. I even managed to get 30fps on ultra with everything on except for aa and uber with an e8400 + 6870.

Stahsky

I've run into probably 8-10 save/load crash to desktops, but my game boots up in like 5 seconds, so it never bothered me. What drives me batty, is often when I press R to toss a bomb, my character locks up and all I can do is run around like a headless chicken 'till someone hits me.

It just so happened to continue doing that while fighting the operator.

fuck you bug

Kyaw said:
For anyone that doesn't know: QTEs can be disabled in the gameplay options under 'difficult QTEs'

I'm aware that QTE's can be turned off but I don't want them to be. My main problem is with the trending towards less interactivity in that particular encounter. The
last quarter of the Kayran's health bar is eliminated by essentially walking up to it

Salaadin

Gully State said:
I'm aware that QTE's can be turned off but I don't want them to be. My main problem is with the trending towards less interactivity in that particular encounter. The
last quarter of the Kayran's health bar is eliminated by essentially walking up to it

I agree. That part definitely felt like something was missing...though I feel that way about all of the bosses so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom