• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

taybul

For those talking about clunky controls - here is my interpretation based on witcher 2 (which applies to W3 but I think they made controls significantly improved)

In a dark souls or bloodborne, being pure melee is a viable strategy in its own right. so if you want to master swords, you can use that to attack almost every enemy in the game - its just a matter of learning when to strike or dodge roll etc.

So in bloodborne for example, its explicitly designed for you to be aggressive and if you are melee focused then mercilessly destroy enemies with melee attacks (at the right opportunity) - if you ahve the stamina and weapon for it, its actually a good thing to go all out and just melee hit the enemy in rapid succession, thats a viable strategy and character build

in W2 the game was balanced for the combination of sword combat and the signs, so pure swordplay was deliberately designed to be not-enough due to the enemy types (eg shield users who block your sword attacks) a bit like how RPG's have balanced party members, not just all fighters (mage for damaging ranged AOE spells, cleric healing etc)

W2 is designed like a turn based RPG mechanically, eg they would show "geralt attacks monster X for 7 damage" and they didnt want you to just melee attack enemies in majority of cases due to that becoming repetitive real fast (eg limited number of special move types/combos versus pure action games like DMC)

this is similar to how gothic and risen games are stat focused first and then action oriented second

Having played all the games mentioned I understand this but there is some noticeable input lag and at times controlling Geralt feels like you're trying to guide a balloon underwater.

sorry if asked before but I installed the game on my PS4 and now I'm staring at a loading screen for 30 minutes already and nothing happens....Lovely music but please,,,,let me play the game :/

Yeah, controls aren't the best, but I can live with them. Somewhat adjusting to the tiny ass text. My biggest issue right now is item durability, I hate that shit in other games and it's pretty bad here.

sorry if asked before but I installed the game on my PS4 and now I'm staring at a loading screen for 30 minutes already and nothing happens....Lovely music but please,,,,let me play the game :/

I had the same problem this morning. Turn off your ps4 and then turn it back on and it should load properly.

Wasp

I had the same loading issue too.

I managed to fix it by going offline, deleting the game, clearing some space off my HDD (it was 90% full), turning the PS4 off and back on again, reinstalling the game, waiting 10 minutes then starting the game still offline without the patch installed.

Don't know if all those steps are necessary but that's what I did.

James93

So, am I the only one that thinks Geralt's movement really, really sucks?
Playing on PC with a Xbox controller, and I sincerely can't deal with how he reacts to me pushing and pulling the stick.
I hope that's a problem with my controller, or something.

As normal with CDP he moves horribly.

Loakum

Banned
Me leaving out of gamestop with my collector's edition of The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt.

fXgwHnW.gif

erlGqwT.jpg

Wreav

Banned
I'd love to know how many folks complaining about the janky movement have played TW2, and how many are new to the series.

Camera issue is frustrating but luckily it's also not interfering with the combat for me so I can push through it. I hope it's fixed soon though.

I do need to give this game some real credit for the story so far though. Not only are the characters interesting but when their story arcs open they're pretty huge. What I figured would be a reasonably brief encounter has become a 4 hour epic with other arcs and missions chaining off in between. It all ties together and each section has you wanting to keep going for some sort of solution.

This one quest chain has proved to be more interesting than anything within any wrpg I've played. Freaking dark too. Hats off to CDPR.

Is your foliage viewing distance on max, therealminime? That does look decent. Especially imagining it in-game.

mmm...might drop to 1080p for max foliage distance...

Not a big deal but I found an area in White Orchard that is really hard on my framerate/gpu usage - (current player location):

HOYdVcF.jpg

Drop to 1080p and it's still really hard on gpu, drop the foliage, grass density, shadows to medium, still super hard. Haven't come across other points like it yet so I'm not bummed out but a tiny bit worried for areas later on.

Yeah, I was running everything @ ultra minus hairworks until I got to this spot at which point I lowered the foliage render distance to high and was back at 60. That setting requires a ton of power at ultra.

Moobabe

Put the game in my PS4. Watched the opening cut scene and now I'm stuck on loading and have been for 20 minutes (the bar isn't moving.)

Is it installing? Should I restart my PS4?

This thread is somehow killing the little hype I had for this game...

Tight gameplay(to a certain degree) and responsive controls are a must for me and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Ghost23

I'd love to know how many folks complaining about the janky movement have played TW2, and how many are new to the series.

I played the Witcher 2 on PC. The controls weren't the best, but I never had the problems I am having now on PS4. However, like I said earlier, it doesn't help that I just finished Bloodborne.

I'm a janky movement complainer and I'm new to the series. Is this a "you don't know how bad you have it" post? And like the above poster, I'm coming off Bloodborne as well.

Really enjoying it so far. Last game I got this feeling from was Fallout 3. Just that sense of a world I can't wait to explore in detail.

Plus got Shovel Knight for a tenner on Humble earlier as well!

Accidentally stumbling over main quest points is kinda cool! Riding into an abandoned town with Geralt commenting on the stink of magic is a much better way to broach the subject than just "HE'S OVER HERE, GO GO GO!"

This game is sounding like a pass so far. I only played the last game a bit on console and it seemed like a really solid port. Maybe I just need to wait for some updates before buying the ps4 version

Spoo

Love the game so far. Playing on PC with a 780 3 gb, and while I had to dip a lot of things to medium I'm still maintaining what feels like 60 fps at 1080p with occasional dips I guess.

Started on Blood and broken bones difficulty, or whatever it is, which I think is fair but pretty challenging. I pretty much have to save before every fight because I usually die unless I'm lucky if there's > 8 things to kill. I'm a little annoyed that all the quests on my quest list are at a higher level than I am. I think I just turned level 5, and the easiest listed quests are recommended at level 6 or higher. I wonder if you earn less XP on this difficulty, because I did everything in
the orchard
even the less exciting stuff. Didn't use the armor DLC, maybe that's why I feel so weak.

Other than reloading save woes, super fun game so far.

Skyzard

Banned
Use Axii to ride wild horses

this game is pretty sweet

Haha wicked, love that! I knew there must be some use to it since I accidentally axii'd my own horse while riding. Thought it might have something to do with the horse fear bar and overriding it.

Yeah, I was running everything @ ultra minus hairworks until I got to this spot at which point I lowered the foliage render distance to high and was back at 60. That setting requires a ton of power at ultra.

I couldn't manage it on my 780ti sc by dropping it and more but at least it's not a weird bug on my end.

Hopefully not too many more areas like that as I dunno how low I'd have to go (less than medium foliage, 1080p and lower than locked 42 fps as those didn't cut it - 99% gpu and framedrops).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do you not get XP for combat? I was on the verge of leveling up and took out a mob of higher level drowners and it didn't seem to move.

usp84

I need to make a specter oil and for that i need the plant "Arenaria".I have 2 of 4 but no idea where i found them in the first place.I went to some shopkeepers but none had them.

Where can i find more?If its just a plant you find the world then i have no idea where to look

Well, I just picked up my collector's edition. Everything was great, until I took a look at Geralt's face on the statue. Turns out it has the same problem as the pictures that were shared. It's kinda disappointing, since everything else that came with it, and even the rest of the statue, is great. But the paint job on his face is just awful.

Ghost23

The combat is cake if you just spam Quen and hold the parry button until you can unleash a chain of fast attacks

Hopefully I can't use this strategy the whole game. You can literally parry forever.

shwimpy

First time Witcherer, playing on PC on Ultra and wow, this game is stunning. 5 hours in and I just killed the
male griffin
. Taking my sweet ass time with the game, trying to explore everything. I was not loving the combat/movement at first but I got used to it and it's like second nature now.

Had one hard crash during a cutscene but other than that, it's running damn near flawlessly. Well done CD Projekt Red, well done.

Moobabe

Anyone having problems on PS4? I'm just stuck after the opening cut scene on the loading screen with the bar not moving.

Edit

Restart fixed it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you not get XP for combat? I was on the verge of leveling up and took out a mob of higher level drowners and it didn't seem to move.

The game says you earn XP for killing monsters, so it's probably just a very small amount so as to limit the potential for over-levelling and encourage the take-up of quests versus indirectly encouraging aimless, multi-hour monster hunts.

Sakura

Why does Amazon offer release day delivery if they can't actually deliver on release day T_T
My copy won't be here until tomorrow. The only reason I ordered off Amazon in the first place was because I thought I would get the game release day... Amazon is garbage

JambiBum

I know someone mentioned that the respec potion is in the courtyard area at the palace, but I'm pretty sure the loot you get from that is random as I only got an enhanced saddle :(

By the way which skill do you unlock from which branch to open up the conversation options? I read through all of them three times earlier and somehow my dumb ass still couldn't find it.

Xdrive05

I'm installing now.

What difficulty should I play?

It took me a while to get the hang of TW2 combat, but I was fine with it except for how you could more or less just spam your shield spell in between dodges to get through any fight. It felt like cheesing and made it not so fun.

G_Berry

Banned
Anyone having problems on PS4? I'm just stuck after the opening cut scene on the loading screen with the bar not moving.
I had that 3 times. Had to delete the game reinstall and redownload the patch.

I knew it was gonna happen as the main menu music was playing over the intro cinematic.

Bit shit really. Game is great once in though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom