• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the barber ?

Tried to kill a group of bandits, like 7-8, most lvl 7, 3 big armored lvl 16. You can instant kill them by using of the sign at the right time...But I was killed by some random bolt before I could finish the last big guy.
Supposedly there's one in Novigrad and one in Oxenfurt, southeast of Novigrad.

I'm glad I made my way up North last night. Was really cool to see.

K_B

I had a bad experience upon first starting the game on PS4 (physical version). Watched the hand-drawn intro and the CGI intro then the game hit an infinite loading screen. Closed the game and booted it back up, watched the lengthy and unskipable intros again and the same thing happened again, the loading bar on the first loading screen was stuck on about 20%.

Looked it up online and many other people are having the same problem. I managed to fix it though by going offline, deleting the game, clearing some space off my HDD (it was 90% full), turning the PS4 off and back on again, reinstalling the game, waiting 10 minutes then starting the game still offline without the patch installed.

The same thing is happening to me right now. I'm going to try your solution, thanks!

Squishy3

"Geralt you're covered in blood"

And yet no blood lol
They probably wanted to avoid what happened in Dragon Age Origins.

dragon-age-origins-blood.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't seen one yet, but what do you mean by not being able to activate abilities?

Like at my level I can only have 2 abilities activated (you have to activate them or they do nothing) and I already had two from my weapons tree.

Ferrio

Banned
So does the auto save actually do anything on the PS4? I get this warning to beware of autosave, it has yet to autosave the damn game once. Every time I reload it's from a manual.

Did any of the reviews mention the clunky controls?

Its important to understand that like the prior games, its an RPG first with action controls (eg its the reason you see damage numbers and other descriptive text, tons of crafting components everywhere etc)

combat is more about using the right kind of strategy than being a pure test of action skills

W3 is a big improvement over 2, and 1 ... man not sure if I could even play 1

Its fair to compare to skyrim more than action games like bloodborne

I think melee combat wise its way more fun than skyrim (though to be fair skyrim has a ton of other options like the stealth mechnics)

I'm a bit confused about the timeline from TW2 -> TW3.

The lady in the White Orchard tavern said that it's been six months since Foltest died. However, you talk to Vesemir about how you've been on the path together for six months. But Foltest died at the start of TW2, and you couldn't have met up with Vesemir until after that game...I'm not even sure how long of a time period that game took place in. It feels like it should be at least a year since Foltest died, not six months. That would give a few months for TW2 to take place and then time to meet up with Vesemir and be on the Witcher's Path for 6 months.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'd just like to say f amazon.com and UPS. Prime release day delivery failure and for no reason. Don't get them game until tomorrow, they just simply decided to make delivery for Wednesday instead of today ugh and of course I'm home all day. Had this game on release day pre-order since June 2014 haha At least I managed to get $10 store credit from the mess. This happen to anyone else? My first time amazon has failed me with a game release.

Arjen

Played for about 4 hours. So far great game, and it looks gorgeous, what I expect from a Witcher game. Controls are a bit getting used to coming from Bloodborne,but I'm sure that's a matter of hours.

In the grand scheme of 100 hours of gameplay you get used to the controls. Might not be something you'd think to mention by the time you finish the game. I wouldn't necessarily call them clunky, they just take getting used to.

It's got that same weighty feel that Rockstar likes to use for their games.

This, I'm about 5 hours in but I've put a lot of time into finding random enemies to fight so I can get the hang of the controls properly. Think I have it down, much smoother experience now I know what I'm doing and have timings down.

Only issue is fighting larger monsters, simply because they arent that frequent so I'm always a bit off with them, and they require more preparation/tactics anyway

epmode

So does the auto save actually do anything on the PS4? I get this warning to beware of autosave, it has yet to autosave the damn game once. Every time I reload it's from a manual.

Try to manually load your game. Autosaves should appear. I know quest progress triggers them, not sure if anything else does. Speaking from PC experience.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing for about five hours and the controls are the worse thing about the game. Way too loose. Needed to be tighter and the movement reduced. For example, I come close to falling off cliffs and hills because any little movement makes me go several feet which isn't good.

Combat isn't bad but I definitely have to get used to the rolling and dodging as opposed to just being aggressive and attack repeatedly. Overall, thus far the game is very good but like I have said so many times this generation, the game needed a few more months of testing and adjusting the very loose controls.

Funny how one of the lowest rated and scored games (The Order: 1886) has far less problems than games that have been rated and scored the highest. LOL.

Danneee

I used cover and rolling/dodge but I didnt get far in the game so its possible there are battles where there is no cover

Its fun getting out of cover, setting them on fire and going back behind cover again !

Yeah that works when there's just one or two archers standing close to each other but if they're not the only thing that works for me is running past everyone else and trying to kill them first...

On another note, controls could use some tweaking to be more responsive. Several times I've had to press L2 multiple times before the game reacts and Geralt goes into his partying stance, taking lots of damage in the process.

In white Orchard, Viper stuff quest :

I have to go into a
crypt
in a
cemetery
. I went there before getting the quest and I was weak, so when I saw
the ghost i promptly escaped, but I think the door (grid) closed behind me.
Now I cannot enter
the crypt to get the second part of the items

Am I fucked ?

Anyone ? This is so infuriating !

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question - any food or items that restore your health to being full? Thanks.

I'd just like to say f amazon.com and UPS. Prime release day delivery failure and for no reason. Don't get them game until tomorrow, they just simply decided to make delivery for Wednesday instead of today ugh and of course I'm home all day. Had this game on release day pre-order since June 2014 haha At least I managed to get $10 store credit from the mess. This happen to anyone else? My first time amazon has failed me with a game release.

Contact Amazon customer service, they will help you.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I order a lot from Amazon and yes on occasion they miss delivery dates. Doesn't happen often and they always compensate somehow, so I don't get bothered much. It's a risk with any delivery from anywhere.

Reebot

Its important to understand that like the prior games, its an RPG first with action controls (eg its the reason you see damage numbers and other descriptive text, tons of crafting components everywhere etc)

combat is more about using the right kind of strategy than being a pure test of action skills

W3 is a big improvement over 2, and 1 ... man not sure if I could even play 1

Its fair to compare to skyrim more than action games like bloodborne

I think melee combat wise its way more fun than skyrim (though to be fair skyrim has a ton of other options like the stealth mechnics)

You can explain away why the controls are as they are, but ultimately I do think they're a flaw.

I actually think people are being too charitable; the controls aren't just clunky, they're outright bad.

That said, controls and combat has always been the weakest part of this series. The Witcher games excel in all other areas to compensate.

Death.

Now in some streams I watched when Geralt died he lost coin but revived where he fell. I've died once but had to re-load. Has something changed or was it because I was low on coin (don't remember how much I had)?

You can explain away why the controls are as they are, but ultimately I do think they're a flaw.

I actually think people are being too charitable; the controls aren't just clunky, they're outright bad.

That said, controls and combat has always been the weakest part of this series. The Witcher games excel in all other areas to compensate.
I agree. It needed a kinda' Batman/Shadow of Mordor type system of counters etc. Everyone/thing jumps around like their pants are on fire. Kinda' looks silly too.

BraXzy

Maybe it's just me but I find the foliage in the game to be pretty ugly and it's taking me out of the experience as stupid as it sounds. I just can't help being distracted by the flat single colour grass and dodgy looking trees :(

Yeah I agree, the game looks and plays like an action game (eg controller) and control wise its somewhat clunky versus say bloodborne

I do think that some of the clunkiness is to force different tactics to be used however, eg you cant just melee attack all enemies easily and its best to use a mix (eg trap, fire etc)

Yogg

I just started my playthrough (playing on PS4) and went through the tutorials. Camera felt way too fast for me so I toned it down for now (courtesy of Bloodborne I guess).

Then I arrived at the first inn, and the game crashed during my first card game when I tried to pass my turn. I started again, went through all the speeches I previously had and started the card game again, and it crashed again when I tried to pass my turn. I absolutely won't skip quests or content on a 100 hours game because of crashes, so I just stopped the game for today. I'm pissed.

Blizzard

Banned
Unrelated, I just tried to skim through 20+ pages since last night, but didn't find anything about the Steam update.
I got a ~20 MB Steam patch today for Witcher 3, but no explanation on the forums, and no patch notes (I love developers who use the Steam patch notes). Does anyone have any idea what it does?
Checking further, my game is showing 1.02 on the main menu. I'm guessing that's what the Steam update was, but I don't have a screenshot of the version when I played yesterday.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game more than TW2 already. That game almost didn't feel like you were doing... Witcher stuff. All the small stories of helping peasants were largely absent. So it's great to get back to that style in TW3.

The problem is how that content is integreated into the world. I'd like to see something cool and have the urge to ride to it and explore. TW3 feels too flat... Like I'm aimlessly wandering looking for marked POIs rather than checking out a cool crevasse or a mysterious unmarked cave. It feels way more like a Rock star/Ubisoft open world than all those Gothic name drops by CDPR implied.

Really?

This is the first open world since Skyrim that has felt like an actual adventure to me. It's so far removed from Ubistandard Open Bloat design that I'm having trouble understanding how you feel they compare so well.

Wandering around TW3 taking in the sights, fighting random enemies, speaking with locals, dealing in side quests, all feel natural and part of Geralt's journey rather than pointless busy work to extend play time.

Really glad I decided to leave gwent until I'd become familiar with everything else in the game. So many people having issues with it. Guess I'll be ignoring it until theres a patch!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've played a bit so far and I'm digging the world but I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of different items you come across. I can't seem to craft anything yet but I'm worried the stuff I find will be important later on so I can't bring myself to sell it. The UI doesn't help much either. Took me a while to figure out what the price was on things in the shopkeeper menu.

Movement controls and fall damage feel off as well.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Contact Amazon customer service, they will help you.

hah I did, just ranting. They gave me $10 store credit. Now if I don't get it tomorrow I'll be more ticked since I'm a prime member and I'm in NYC and it's been sitting in some UPS in New Jersey since Sunday. Someone clearly messed up with when it should be delivered and I'm not sure who, not that it matters in the long run.

"I order a lot from Amazon and yes on occasion they miss delivery dates. Doesn't happen often and they always compensate somehow, so I don't get bothered much. It's a risk with any delivery from anywhere.

That's true. Just a first for me and when it's been sitting in a UPS center since Sunday *read above* not far from me I can't really fault amazon. It's more of a F U Ups. I know amazon will make it right if it doesn't show by tomorrow. I'm just taking out my frustration cause amazon is where I ordered from and they chose chose Ups ground since it was so close to me, but that's slower delivery and when you're a prime member and pick guaranteed release day delivery you expect the game on its release day.

k I'm done ranting hah just was curious if anyones copy didn't show today as well. Dont want to mess up the thread anymore.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Checking further, my game is showing 1.02 on the main menu. I'm guessing that's what the Steam update was, but I don't have a screenshot of the version when I played yesterday.

That would have been the first two pieces of free DLC:

about 10 hours ago
+ Added The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Beard and Hairstyle Set (370001) to the package
+ Added The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Temerian Armor Set (370000) to the package

The game was already at v1.02 when it unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom