• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Rin

Controls are really iffy. I'm fighting the camera most of the time, but parrying and dodging feel satisfying if done correctly.

Also, I'm collecting all them Gwent cards.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
There is like a second to second and a half delay every time you enter combat that is so fucking annoying... waiting for the control scheme to switch over from detective mode to guard.

Honestly this is a clunky game. I really like it, but it's like they didn't focus on core gameplay stuff and spent all their time and money on world/quest building.

And at this point, the auto-center camera if just infuriating.

I've played a bit so far and I'm digging the world but I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of different items you come across. I can't seem to craft anything yet but I'm worried the stuff I find will be important later on so I can't bring myself to sell it. The UI doesn't help much either. Took me a while to figure out what the price was on things in the shopkeeper menu.

I break up most things into their components (do these take weight?)

since crafting looks like designs require X leather etc component parts

OmegaDL50

Sorry if this has been answered, but where do you find the free Temerian armour set?

It's not really free. I mean the DLC is free, but the armor set isn't

You buy it off Bram, the shopkeeper you saved from the Griffin Attack. You'll find Bram just near the exit of the first small village you visited.

Ateron

Hope CDPR patches this camera stuttering while panning asap. Researched a bit and it seems it affects every version of the game: I see people on their forums complaining about the same exact issues regardless of platform. It might in fact be tied to the camera aceleration. Whenever you push the analog all the way it doesn't manifest.

Best way to check it without going dizzy:set the cam speed to 0.50 and then push the analog all the way:smooth. Anything less than that full pressure (or at least inconsistent), will make the camera stutter and get all jittery.

There are people complaining its the same on pc with controller or mouse, whilst the game in fact retains a locked 60fps. It really must be a bug in the camera accelaration, hope a fix is in order. I can't see how this slipped past their QA in tbe first place, took less than 10min to see something was wrong. wtf.

Nyx

Damn that evening went by fast.

Absolutely loved my first hours in The Witcher 3 on PS4 and luckily I barely noticed a lot of problems I read about earlier today while still at work.

Not saying everything runs supersmooth or anything but nothing that ruins the fun I have.

Just killed
the griffin
and unfortunately have to get ready for bed and another day of work. This weekend I know what I'm doing though... ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks. I'm seeing the beard and armor set someone was asking about, in the Steam DLC list.

Yeah, there was a bit of a stuff-up with the "Free on Demand" subs and CDPR just re-added the DLC to the game's own subs after people complained about not being able to add said DLC to their accounts via their respective store pages.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I break up most things into their components (do these take weight?)

since crafting looks like designs require X leather etc component parts

Do you always have to go to a blacksmith to break something down?

I also don't know which alchemy stuff I should be pursuing.

omonimo

Banned
Controls are really iffy. I'm fighting the camera most of the time, but parrying and dodging feel satisfying if done correctly.

Also, I'm collecting all them Gwent cards.
I'm with you. I was almost disorientate. Fps also suffer often of strange microstuttering on ps4. Quite annoying. I can't imagine on xbone uncapped what a mess could be.

I'm on PS4, and am having this really noticeable jarring when moving the camera around.

It isn't really noticeable when just moving exactly horizontally, but when you also move slightly diagonally, it is like this weird pausing. Can't quite describe it.

I thought for a minute the game hadn't fully installed or something, but it definitely has.

It's like the camera gets stuck on something, and then gets free and catches up with where it should be. It's not a framerate issue (I don't think).

It really putting me off - like when I first got Uncharted 3 with the weird square motion camera before they patched it :(

Hope CDPR patches this camera stuttering while panning asap. Researched a bit and it seems it affects every version of the game: I see people on their forums complaining about the same exact issues regardless of platform. It might in fact be tied to the camera aceleration. Whenever you push the analog all the way it doesn't manifest.

Best way to check it without going dizzy:set the cam speed to 0.50 and then push the analog all the way:smooth. Anything less than that full pressure (or at least inconsistent), will make the camera stutter and get all jittery.

There are people complaining its the same on pc with controller or mouse, whilst the game in fact retains a locked 60fps. It really must be a bug in the camera accelaration, hope a fix is in order. I can't see how this slipped past their QA in tbe first place, took less than 10min to see something was wrong. wtf.

So it's not just me then... They have to patch this. Just like the Uncharted 3 debacle :(

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why do I keep getting this Velen cutscene (which I can't skip) when I load a safe on top of that mega long loading screen?

Ateron

I'm on PS4, and am having this really noticeable jarring when moving the camera around.

It isn't really noticeable when just moving exactly horizontally, but when you also move slightly diagonally, it is like this weird pausing. Can't quite describe it.

I thought for a minute the game hadn't fully installed or something, but it definitely has.

It's like the camera gets stuck on something, and then gets free and catches up with where it should be. It's not a framerate issue (I don't think).

It really putting me off - like when I first got Uncharted 3 with the weird square motion camera before they patched it :(

You should check the forums there, there are a lot of people like us complaining. Hopefully they'll listen and patch it asap.

The combat is definitely better than Wither 2's but it's still kinda "eh".
Just think of this game as Skyrim but with way better combat and you'll be fine lol.

Do you always have to go to a blacksmith to break something down?

I also don't know which alchemy stuff I should be pursuing.

You just do it from the character screen to break stuff down, blacksmith being required to actually build items out of these components though

Yeah alchemy wise, see which are needed based on your recipes eg I saw the yellow flowers were used for bombs so I made a priority to pick those up.

game seems designed for you to pick up recipes/materials etc as you play, which will then make clear which actual components/flowers are useful (versus say skyrim where you can experiment - perhaps this is even possible in W3, not sure)

ironcreed

Banned
where can I go to repair weapons?

i hate this stuff

lq3ui.jpg

Or find a repair kit.

You should check the forums there, there are a lot of people like us complaining. Hopefully they'll listen and patch it asap.

I'm seriously thinking of holding fire playing it. I know I'm going to love the game, but this is just wrecking my head!

I left UC3 when that had the camera issues at launch, and I'm glad I did. Still can't believe to this day that ND didn't catch that, and even had a local GAF member go to their HQ and illustrate the issues that were there.

How can you miss something that obvious???

GeeTeeCee

Just started, and I'm finding the combat pretty awkward compared to TW2. I'm getting destroyed by pretty much every mob out there. Some enemy attacks come out so fast and sometimes Geralt just seems to fail to block every so often. Looks amazing though.

ironcreed

Banned
Just started, and I'm finding the combat pretty awkward compared to TW2. I'm getting destroyed by pretty much every mob out there. Some enemy attacks come out so fast and sometimes Geralt just seems to fail to block every so often. Looks amazing though.

Lock on, circle, quick step and dodge more than trying to parry.

MaddenNFL64

For people who are experiencing the stutter on camera turn, make sure you turn off any overlays that might be on, like steam, or origin, etc. Might be messing with it.

Had this problem with Dragon Age Inquisition, and solved it by shutting off overlays.

solarus

For all the hate that gerstmann's tweets and thoughts on his time (albeit only a few hours) with the game got in the review thread, I'm seeing a lot of the same issues echoed here

styl3s

Really? I found Witcher 2 combat to be way, way more complex and confusing.

Here i just roll out of the way against enemies like wolves and most non-human enemies and i just parry everything when i get into fights with bandits because parry in this game against another human with a sword is like batman level easy.

For all the hate that gerstmann's tweets and thoughts on his time (albeit only a few hours) with the game got in the review thread, I'm seeing a lot of the same issues echoed here
Because people can't accept negative comments towards a game they like or are excited for unless it's from them.

Everything he said i completely agree with. The movement feels jank as fuck.

MaddenNFL64

Lock on, circle, quick step and dodge more than trying to parry.

Yep. and use a mix of signs to defend and press an attack. watch the mob, and use side step & dodge accordingly, against one dude, use parry to be a badass.

edit: and ya, Witcher 2 was way harder than this game.

Skyzard

Banned
Is your foliage viewing distance on max, therealminime? That does look decent. Especially imagining it in-game.

mmm...might drop to 1080p for max foliage distance...

Although that might not be smart for me:

Not a big deal but I found an area in White Orchard that is really hard on my framerate/gpu usage - (current player location):

HOYdVcF.jpg

Drop to 1080p and it's still really hard on gpu, drop the foliage, grass density, shadows to medium, still super hard. Haven't come across other points like it yet so I'm not bummed out but a tiny bit worried for areas later on.

Ateron

I'm seriously thinking of holding fire playing it. I know I'm going to love the game, but this is just wrecking my head!

I left UC3 when that had the camera issues at launch, and I'm glad I did. Still can't believe to this day that ND didn't catch that, and even had a local GAF member go to their HQ and illustrate the issues that were there.

How can you miss something that obvious???

My thoughts exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game but that really detracts from the experience. I'd rather wait for them to address this issue before going forward in the storyline. Fps drops here and there I can tolerate, but this is a bit too much (even tough many might not care). If more people bring this to their attention they will take a look at it, I'm sure. From the pc guys impressions it's really not connected to fps drops so..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4k9-_2X7pk&spfreload=10

This is what we're dealing with (not my video though)

Happens everywhere, even indoors when there's nothing going on. Really annoying.

Blizzard

Banned
I like weight in RPG's. It's like Deus Ex's tetris inventory. Just means you need to prioritise stuff.
I might enjoy it more if I didn't have to worry about cost to repair weapons, armor, things breaking (do they break when they reach 0% or stop doing damage?) etc.

Is there any sort of stash / base you can put stuff in, or do you have to make Skyrim-style loot runs back to town to sell new junk loot because it's too heavy or you don't have enough room?

For those talking about clunky controls - here is my interpretation based on witcher 2 (which applies to W3 but I think they made controls significantly improved)

In a dark souls or bloodborne, being pure melee is a viable strategy in its own right. so if you want to master swords, you can use that to attack almost every enemy in the game - its just a matter of learning when to strike or dodge roll etc.

So in bloodborne for example, its explicitly designed for you to be aggressive and if you are melee focused then mercilessly destroy enemies with melee attacks (at the right opportunity) - if you ahve the stamina and weapon for it, its actually a good thing to go all out and just melee hit the enemy in rapid succession, thats a viable strategy and character build

in W2 the game was balanced for the combination of sword combat and the signs, so pure swordplay was deliberately designed to be not-enough due to the enemy types (eg shield users who block your sword attacks) a bit like how RPG's have balanced party members, not just all fighters (mage for damaging ranged AOE spells, cleric healing etc)

W2 is designed like a turn based RPG mechanically, eg they would show "geralt attacks monster X for 7 damage" and they didnt want you to just melee attack enemies in majority of cases due to that becoming repetitive real fast (eg limited number of special move types/combos versus pure action games like DMC)

this is similar to how gothic and risen games are stat focused first and then action oriented second

Wasp

I just started my playthrough (playing on PS4) and went through the tutorials. Camera felt way too fast for me so I toned it down for now (courtesy of Bloodborne I guess).
I felt the same too. I had to change the sensitivity all the way down to 0%.

Anyway I'm impressed with the graphics on PS4, it's even better than I was expecting, looks really sharp and clean. I thought the foliage was going to look muddy but it's actually really nice.

Framerate though is even worse than I was expecting. Doesn't feel very consistent at all.

So, am I the only one that thinks Geralt's movement really, really sucks?
Playing on PC with a Xbox controller, and I sincerely can't deal with how he reacts to me pushing and pulling the stick.
I hope that's a problem with my controller, or something.

dedhead54

I feel like the gamma slider is off. If I put it up to where I can barely see the image, the game seems too bright in the middle of the night. Obviously I just lowered it to where I couldn't actually see the image but usually these things work a little better for me.

So, am I the only one that thinks Geralt's movement really, really sucks?
Playing on PC with a Xbox controller, and I sincerely can't deal with how he reacts to me pushing and pulling the stick.
I hope that's a problem with my controller, or something.

About a quarter of the comments in this thread are complaints about the movement and controls, so no, you're not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom