• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for all the questions but this is my first Witcher game and I'm not all that familiar with the deeper mechanics and flow.

Did a quest where I found a pan for an old lady
and during the course of it found an item that's listed as a quest item but has no bearing on that quest. Will it come up later on or did I miss something?

She should be right where the item is
you just blast down the door of the house and find the item inside

Skyzard

Banned
Turned Foliage distance to medium. Voila, no crashes for 3 hours now. Thanks!!

Glad you got it working! PM'd you just earlier something another user mentioned about preventing crashes - setting max performance in the control panel for the game, I set it myself too...just in case for later on.

Krakn3Dfx

Fired up the game and played for about 6 hours today, PS4, no crashes or issues to speak of yet, played a couple of hours on the PC last night, but I'll probably stick to the PS4 version for remote play purposes and it being easier to haul my PS4 with me when I travel in June than my desktop machine.

Overall, having a ton of fun, have done most of the side quests in Orchard, haven't found a single one to be boring or feel padded like a certain Dragon Age game. Characters are believable and well acted for the most part. Was surprised how much bigger the season area is after you leave Orchard, even tho I knew it was going to be bigger, I didn't grasp just how much bigger.

Can't wait to play more.

I want to play this badly but the main two things holding me back are the learning curve and the story. I tried playing 2 a couple of times but it was so hard. I couldn't get used to the combat and kept getting killed early on. My second concern is that I don't really know a lot about the character or the story.

The game looks beautiful and I love the mature fantasy setting, we don't get enough of that. The combat looks the same from my perspective which makes me think I'm going to get killed a lot...again. I love hard games like Ninja Gaiden but those characters only had a couple of actions so it was easy to master.

I didn't play the first two games and I'm not having any trouble with this one. The game goes out of its way to fill in the backstory (so far it's more of a small/personal story set against the backdrop of the larger conflicts going on) and there's a tutorial for everything. Which is a good thing because it's a massive game with a lot of systems going on.

hbkdx12

Newbie to the franchise here

The systems in this game are quite overwhelming. I'm not very far in the game
just spoke to the king or whatever about killing the griffin
I've been doing a lot of sidequests and discovering new areas and such.

I constantly find myself overencumbered. I don't have the clearest understanding of what's keeping and what's not. I started the game picking up all the flowers and stuff but I've stopped. The few merchants that I have available to me can either only buy certain things or don't have any more money (!!!) I feel like I don't really understand how the crafting works so I tend to hold onto all the alchemy stuff even though I don't currently seem to be able to use any of it.

There's a lot more things where I feel like I'm up against a wall. Anyone have any newb tips? Things I should/shouldn't be focusing on? Things I should be doing/keeping? Etc

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Addicted to this game!!! Some of my PS4 shots. Beautiful looking game.

image.jpg1_3.jpg
image.jpg1_2.jpg
image.jpg3.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I constantly find myself overencumbered. I don't have the clearest understanding of what's keeping and what's not. I started the game picking up all the flowers and stuff but I've stopped. I feel like I don't really understand how the crafting works so I tend to hold onto all the alchemy stuff even though I don't currently seem to be able to use any of it.

There's a lot more things where I feel like I'm up against a wall. Anyone have any newb tips? Things I should/shouldn't be focusing on? Things I should be doing/keeping? Etc
Me too. Really hoping I can wrap my head around everything. Buying a saddlebag for my horse helped a lot with encumberence.

I constantly find myself overencumbered. I don't have the clearest understanding of what's keeping and what's not. I started the game picking up all the flowers and stuff but I've stopped. I feel like I don't really understand how the crafting works so I tend to hold onto all the alchemy stuff even though I don't currently seem to be able to use any of it.

sell heavy stuff like weapons and armor you dont need, you can quick travel to a merchant using sign posts

you get recipes and blueprints for crafting alchemy and armor/weapons that explain what components are needed for that (eg early bombs use the yellow flowers) over time

A lot of junk you can dismantle into generic parts like leather which are used for crafting weapons and armor

woen

Does the beard grow back after a clean shave at the barber ? It works with real time, no meditation ?

Ok got my answer online, might interest some people

"When you download the free Beard and Hairstyle DLC the growth of the beard will stop because we decided that when players want a predefined look, it would be weird to require from them to reapply it time after time."

This is stupid, at least give me an option or at the very least a notice.

So hopefully I have a save not too far before I chose a beard, the 5 choices are not my style and the hairstyles are meh. Classique hairstyle+long beard or nothing.

viveks86

Managed to crank everything up to 1620p with INI tweaks and OC. Still runs at 70-80 fps. Some uncompressed PNG shots from very early in the game. Since I still have some headroom, I might experiment with more lighting/LOD tweaks. We'll see

Sample:
witcher32015-05-1913-34-27-60.png

Afrodium

Banned
Realizing potions restock after meditation on the second highest difficulty has made things so much easier. You basically have 3 Swallow potions per battle so long as you meditate.

Yibby

Is there a way to review the letters from the notice boards in town ? They add all those question marks to the map, but by the time i reach them i forgot what that question mark was all about.
I like to know what happened there where i find e.g. a dead body.

III-V

W3: Collectors Edition Prima Official Game Guide $24 amazon worth every damn penny so good. Hardcover with 500 pages and art so good. Also grimoire is amazing.

OCD Guy

The systems in this game are quite overwhelming.

That about sums it up for me.

I've played solidly since yesterday and while the developers have done well with regards to talking you through things in the inventory, how to add things etc there's just too much to take in for me. Add to that the amount of dialogue (which I knew before purchasing but thought I could cope with it), I've just realised that this game just isn't for me. I'm not finding it fun, but I think that's down to me not being keen on RPGs, and this game confirms it.

Add to that the sometimes frustrating controls, the swimming sections in particular are a real highlight lol, choppy frame rate which actually makes me feel a little sick, and my honeymoon period is over.

I won't be one of those people that keeps posting my opinions from this point on as its not constructive, if you don't like something then why waste time reading, and posting about it, move on eh? Which is what I'll be doing.

I need to learn to not get caught in the hype. I end up buying games I should know I won't get on with. If anything my recent purchases that I've not enjoyed have finally made it sink in that I think I prefer mindless gaming where I don't need to think much, have lots of hand holding etc

Anyway I've said my peice....

murgo

Gwent was fun at first, now it's just frustrating as hell. Why the hell does the AI always have spy cards? They always have more cards than I do in the end and I keep losing.

Holy shit, love the weather so far.

Walking through the woods and the wind starts howling and everything in the environment is reacting.. Trees and leaves swaying, Geralt's hair and the sound..

Btw, destroyed the Griffin like a boss lol

Yeah, the weather is awesome. Someone complained that the wind picks up too often, though, which may be true. Still, it's really impressive. The day/night cycles and the bloom effects are as well.

It's a beautiful game

I fought the Griffin before making it to the suggested third level (man, it takes a while to level-up in this game!) Ended up beating it without much of a problem, although I wasn't as careful as I could've been and lost 70% of my health. I didn't roll away when I needed to.

Rom1944

Ok got my answer online, might interest some people

"When you download the free Beard and Hairstyle DLC the growth of the beard will stop because we decided that when players want a predefined look, it would be weird to require from them to reapply it time after time."

This is stupid, at least give me an option or at the very least a notice.

So hopefully I have a save not too far before I chose a beard, the 5 choices are not my style and the hairstyles are meh. Classique hairstyle+long beard or nothing.

you can disable it at least on galaxy in more tab--> configure .

SxP

Fall damage is rough. I'm so used to just dropping off small ledges in every other game, but here I lose half my health. Have to fight to resist the urge to drop off ledges.

Reached Velen last night. First impression is that I like the combat foundation but I don't get much chance to appreciate it. I barely ever notice the decapitations or such because they happen so fast and often. I feel I'm not really doing a lot of parrying or rolling, and mostly just dodging while I spam a lot of Quen (the protective shield sign) and food (to heal). Combat difficulty seems to scale a lot to levels... I found a few 'easy' mobs (random animals) 5-6 levels above me and could barely dent them, but all the story fights so far have been very easy. Probably going to increase the difficulty, or at least temporarily for boss fights (I don't really care for trophies).

This is my fight with the first boss of the first area (SPOILERS... though I think it was basically in all the marketing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls2zjh37Q_0

Not a particularly skillful attempt but I was still able to do it with rather poor attacking and just a lot of shield spell and healing food spam at Lv2. Which is why I think I'll increase the difficulty. I'll try the 2nd area Velen a bit longer and see how the difficulty scales there, but so far I feel I should be getting my butt kicked a bit more. Either way, gorgeous fight. Waited to start it until 6am and then it began around 5pm or something I guess. Beautiful scenery.

Economy so far seems interesting. NPC merchants and smiths having levels and their own gold amounts is a nice touch. I like the balance so far between selling and dismantling. I've had to balance the two... I want to try dismantle as much as possible to get crafting mats, but I've had to sell a bit, too, to afford dismantling. So, it's been a balance of choosing what I can afford to dismantle or sell. Crafted a nice armor and sword upgrade for the first area. (I'm on PS4 and still 1.01 so dunno about that new DLC armor sold by the wagon merchant).

Haven't really noticed much about weight yet. I must have looted 3 abandoned villages or camps last night and over 60 bags and chests lol. I'm carrying enough loot for a small squad of infantry and their entire base camp operations. Game may have weight and it's nice to have it in any form, but it's definitely more like Dragon Age than Deus Ex.

Day and night cycle, and weather, are gorgeous. Best visual part of the game. Night doesn't seem very dark and torches were actually a bad idea, but maybe because they've been clear starlit nights. Haven't seen a stormy overcast night or been in a cave yet.

Gold_Loot

Been playing the PS4 version for most of the day. The game is ace! The frame rate complaints are a bit over blown. Sure you get an occasional framedrop once in awhile, but its hardly Unity drops (even post patch). Very enjoyable. Im sure a post game patch will polish any wrinkles remaining.

If you crafted something for an empty space then the game equips it automatically. (For example, if you weren't wearing boots and you had some boots crafted, the game just equips them.

Nope. Wasn't an empty space and it's not equipped. So, seems like the game glitched at just didn't give me my crafted item?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think second boss spoilers (main quest)... looking for some help:

How do I defeat the golem in the cave with the witch that's helping me?I'm doing, like, next to zero damage.

One issue is how small the text can be (while perusing inventory, selling things, etc.) and the same is true of the icons. It's hard to read from about 10ft away using a 42 inch HDTV.

This game is pretty damn good. spent a good 4 hours in the prologue area, but I've also come across a quite annoying bug.

That bug being that whenever there is a pre-rendered cutscene it plays the audio through my monitor and in game plays through the headphones which is what I intended.

Ricker

Managed to crank everything up to 1620p with INI tweaks and OC. Still runs at 70-80 fps. Some uncompressed PNG shots from very early in the game. Since I still have some headroom, I might experiment with more lighting/LOD tweaks. We'll see

Sample:
witcher32015-05-1913-34-27-60.png

That's an awesome shot :)

Anung

Un Rama
Fall damage is rough. I'm so used to just dropping off small ledges in every other game, but here I lose half my health. Have to fight to resist the urge to drop off ledges.

For real. I've been playing so much Bloodborne that rolling off ledges is natural but in this its a death sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom