• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

Is this first loading screen supposed to be like five minutes (And counting) long?

No, it''s a known bug. Just restart your system and it should hopefully work.

BTW, the opening loading screen should be almost instantaneous, no longer then 5 seconds.

In the OP it says:

"- Import your Witcher 2 save file or make your choices during an introduction sequence before the game begins."

This is incorrect, right? You don't make the choices before the game begins, you get to do them a little bit into the game, from what I understand? Otherwise I must have managed to click the wrong button, but from what I've heard this isn't done before the game begins.

It happens in the first scene, tutorial scene before the game truly begins so I guess it depends how you want to interpret the sentence.

Looking for the moon dust bomb forumla in the official guide and can't find shit.

This is the first time I'm looking in the guide and honestly, it's totally bags. I will never use it again it's got to be way easier to find it in an online guide.

I'll check out the online guide that comes with.

There are a lot of requests for different items forumals coming in at the moment... hard to keep up.

Quote this and I'll be able to find you and hopefully post what you need but I haven't checked the online guide yet.

Furyous

Gwent was fun at first, now it's just frustrating as hell. Why the hell does the AI always have spy cards? They always have more cards than I do in the end and I keep losing.

Play your worst cards first and force them into thinking your deck is weak. Eventually they'll let up and once you're ahead by at least 7 points pass until you win.

Does anyone else on PS4 have Amaterasu water? I had to quit the game and come back later. I've done two side quests and a metric fuckton of grinding for herbs. I refuse to leave White Orchard without doing everything and at least getting to level 3 possibly level 4. I want to come back and realize how I've wrecked shit later. Herbalist has to reciprocate my generosity later on with some extra herbs and medicine.

BlackStarBird

Neo Member
Anyone having issues with load times on PS4? I am able to watch the intro video but after I try starting a new game it just sits at the loading screen. Just got home from work and would love to play but....no dice so far loading the game. I have not read through this thread so apologies if this is a known issue.

Ok got my answer online, might interest some people

"When you download the free Beard and Hairstyle DLC the growth of the beard will stop because we decided that when players want a predefined look, it would be weird to require from them to reapply it time after time."
Hmmm that's curious... Guess I won't download that once I see it on PSN. I like the over-time beard growth

abundant

Anyone having issues with load times on PS4? I am able to watch the intro video but after I try starting a new game it just sits at the loading screen. Just got home from work and would love to play but....no dice so far loading the game. I have not read through this thread so apologies if this is a known issue.

BTW, the opening loading screen should be almost instantaneous, no longer then 5 seconds.

It happened to me too and the restart trick worked.

It happens in the first scene, tutorial scene before the game truly begins so I guess it depends how you want to interpret the sentence.

Wait, which scene? I've played the tutorial twice (the sequence before you reach White Orchard) and the events of the previous game were not revisited it.

dext3rr

Just reset PS4. I had same problem after first launch. After that everything is fine.

TraBuch

Banned

Awesome. What a waste of time. Sat through the loading for about seven minutes, restarted the game, sat through both long-ass cut scenes again because apparently they're not skippable, and sat through the loading screen a second time for five more minutes to no avail. Guess I'll restart the system and sit through the two cutscenes again.

Nice first impression.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So... got my PS4 copy of the game today and when I put it into my PS4, nothing happens. It just spins for a bit, stops and the Witcher 3 tile does not come up in the UI.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old PC FPSers and still some today had/have an option for turning "headbobbing" on/off. I feel like no matter what whether I am walking, running, or riding the horse that there is this constant headbobbing type judder going on in the Xbox One version. Not sure if this is the frame-pacing issue or not but it sure is distracting.

Game looks good at times but some of the technical issues are too much for me at the moment. Hope there are numerous fixes in store or things magically improve moving forward in the game..

Managed to kill the Griffin and move out of White Orchard at least.

Dice > Gwent ��

This is wrong. I love Gwent and I am damn good at it.

The key is guys - let the opponent win the first round, get them to expend more cards than you and save your powerful cards for the later rounds. It becomes easier then. Of course, you need to have a good deck.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So... got my PS4 copy of the game today and when I put it into my PS4, nothing happens. It just spins for a bit, stops and the Witcher 3 tile does not come up in the UI.

Anyone else have this issue?

Nevermind, I just rebooted my PS4 and it works now. I think it had something to do with ejecting a suspended game disc while the system was in rest mode. Won't do that again. :S

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats up with the xp? I only played it like 1mins to see how it runs, but a friend (who isnt a big gamer) called me up saying hes loving it, but is still level 1 even tho hes done alot of quests. Since I saw other comments (mainly on release day) about the xp, whats going on with it? how exactly does it work etc if he asks me again

DrSlek

Holy shit, love the weather so far.

Walking through the woods and the wind starts howling and everything in the environment is reacting.. Trees and leaves swaying, Geralt's hair and the sound..

Btw, destroyed the Griffin like a boss lol

I took care of a wraith in a chapel undercroft, and then Geralt comments that the wind is howling outside. When I come back up the stairs, the sky is covered in beautiful black storm clouds, and the wind is bending the trees and grass like crazy. I love it.

GODREALMS

Neo Member
One issue is how small the text can be (while perusing inventory, selling things, etc.) and the same is true of the icons. It's hard to read from about 10ft away using a 42 inch HDTV.

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned, but using PS4 it is possible to Zoom in the text by pressing the PS Button and the Square Button at the same time. The camera then can be navigated using the Directional Pad, and then you can close Zoom by pressing the Circle Button. Doing this is saving my eyes a great deal of stress. :)

I'm only several hours into TW3, but the quest design is an absolute triumph in game design so far. It's remarkably far ahead of most other RPGs, let alone games in general. The quests, side or mainline, are varied, interesting, and meaningful in their own right.
whats up with the xp? I only played it like 1mins to see how it runs, but a friend (who isnt a big gamer) called me up saying hes loving it, but is still level 1 even tho hes done alot of quests. Since I saw other comments (mainly on release day) about the xp, whats going on with it? how exactly does it work etc if he asks me again

You'll go from level 1 to level 2 pretty quickly, within a couple hours depending on how you play. The only thing I can think of is that your friend is mistaking quest step completion with the overall quest's completion. Only fully completed quests reward experience.

Levels will come as swiftly as you can finish quests, which reward the most XP of anything I've seen.

Salsa

this game has a real hard time when you suddenly find a mission midway through

I wandered around and got caught up in the devil by the well sidequest. I already got everything but I had to go back to the dude who gives it to you and basically trace all the steps I already made and re-reading stuff with Geralt acting if he never knew about any of this even tho I basically did everything without triggering the mission first

pretty rough. kinda punishes you for exploring.

abundant

What? Just by doing the
Griffon Hunt prep missions
in the prologue nets you enough XP to get to level two.

dext3rr

This is one of the best games of all time.

qFykz.gif

I wandered around and got caught up in the devil by the well sidequest. I already got everything but I had to go back to the dude who gives it to you and basically trace all the steps I already made and re-reading stuff with Geralt acting if he never knew about any of this even tho I basically did everything without triggering the mission first

pretty rough

Yeah I don't like those trace the steps missions, but they play out differently if you don't find all the clues.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm only several hours into TW3, but the quest design is an absolute triumph in game design so far. It's remarkably far ahead of most other RPGs, let alone games in general. The quests, side or mainline, are varied, interesting, and meaningful in their own right.

You'll go from level 1 to level 2 pretty quickly, within a couple hours depending on how you play. The only thing I can think of is that your friend is mistaking quest step completion with the overall quest's completion. Only fully completed quests reward experience.

Levels will come as swiftly as you can finish quests, which reward the most XP of anything I've seen.

this is probably it

What does the Death March (Very Hard) Difficulty do? The game doesn't really do a good job explaining the new game choices (same for simulating W2 save). Is it just a basic linear stat change so enemies hit harder and have more HP? Or do more enemies spawn, their AI change? Does it effect the 'realism' in the world in any way? Minimap limitations... Weight limitations, anything like that? Or basically just monsters hit harder?

Altairre

This might just be the best RPG I ever played. Holy crap the witting is so good. The
keira
quest line is amazing, toke like 3 hours and it was all side quest.

Yup, that whole chain is incredibly well done. I liked the prologue area but the stuff you're doing in Valen is on another level completely.

Salsa

my only complaints so far are my previous post and how incredibly janky the movement is

other than that im really enjoying it. moreso than 2 already

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Been playing for a couple of hours tonight, and I'm absolutely loving it! The world they have created here is just amazing. So much to see and do, and I haven't event left the small (but still pretty large) intro area yet. Can't wait to be set free into the massive open world, although for now I'm very happy just taking it slow in this area. My plan is to do everything there is to do here before moving on, as I doubt it will feel all that compelling to come back once you've seen the real deal.

I decided to go with Death March (highest difficulty), and I haven't regretted it one bit. It's challenging, and it punishes you for being hasty and impatient - death comes swiftly if you just rush in - but it hasn't felt frustrating or unfair at all. Yeah, I died a few times in the first real encounter, but that was really mostly a matter of getting used to this combat system again. Being careful, trying to get at one enemy at a time, using Quen a lot (seriously, that one free hit you can take makes such a difference), etc, made me soon get through it with relative ease. I'm still dying here and there, but every fight so far has felt completely winnable. Whenever I die I know it's because I've acted stupidly (granted, I haven't faced any significantly higher-leveled enemies yet).

I can see newcomers being a bit frustrated, as I was when I first started playing TW2 (although I think the combat here feels significantly better, even though it's clearly a refinement of the same formula), but stick with it and learn what works in this combat system and you'll soon start enjoying it.

Now I must sleep. Then work. Then play much, much more of this wonderful game.

Friend of mine just said graphics don't look much better than Last of Us on PS4. What do you think?

Absolute crazy talk. Perhaps individual details don't, but have you seen those forests? I've never been this impressed with an open world game before. So lush, so detailed. And when the sun is setting (or rising), sunlight streaming through the treetops, it just looks magical.

[snip]

pretty rough. kinda punishes you for exploring.

If it's that
abandoned village quest with the Noonwraith
then you're mistaken. You can investigate the village itself, but the contract-relevant information can only be pursued once you begin the quest.

Beefy

Ergh had a quest bug out on me. The quest is Dirty Deeds, it says read the letter I foind but I haven't got a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom