• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

I do have one complaint about the game. The combat control scheme. It's so vastly different from TW2. Having to hold ALT and press a WADS key to dodge feels very awkward. I usually just end up pressing space to roll instead, but that's far less effective in close quarters and fist fights.

I also keep using right click to try and perform a heavy attack, instead of Left Shift + Left Click. Made the first few goes at the gryphon pretty frustrating.

Some of the screenshots I've seen on the PC version (like in the PC screenshots thread) look incredible. So what's a pretty good video card that isn't super expensive? Like less than $200 preferably. lol I currently have a Radeon 7870 HD and I have no idea how well the game will run with that

Starting out the game, didnt played the other Witcher games so, what is the best option when the game ask you to make your own desitions or allow it to take the decision for you from Witcher 2 events?

Salsa

If it's that
abandoned village quest with the Noonwraith
then you're mistaken. You can investigate the village itself, but the contract-relevant information can only be pursued once you begin the quest.

im aware, but the issue im talking about is something that is for sure hard to address in any game of the genre but still, I dont think they provided much of an elegant solution here

I basically mean already having the bracelet and reading the journal and geralt going all "mhh, I better find this bracelet" "ohmmm, I better find and read this journal" step by step whereas I already found that without being in the mission, and it felt like some open world random thing that would trigger the mission starting from there or something; but it wasnt the case. I had to go back, get the mission, then go to where I was, have all that dialogue and step-by-step business as if I hadnt already gathered the things, and then go from there

Oh god the choices are pretty rough, I am getting really invested in NPC characters and quests.

Spoiler about a Velen based choice/character/quest line:
I just had sex with Keira and killed her within 5 minutes of waking up :( I didn't want to kill her!

Majukun

any place in the first zone wher i an find emerald powder that is not from the quartermaster at the imperial army base (because it costs too much)?

Played for about 4 hours and already I have two major complaints. The first is the movement. My god it is the dictionary definition of jank. The rest of the game is so polished I can't believe how terrible it is. The second is the text size in the menus. I was sitting about 5-6 feet away from a 46 inch TV and still had to really focus on it. Part of me can tell that this is going to be tough trying to finish the game but I'll keep at it.

Finally got to play it a bit more.

Quick impressions:
- even in the orchard, the scale of the area and shit to do is overwhelming. I'm unsure how compatible this is with my life.
- I absolutely love how it looks. Not just technically but also the character designs, the palette, the light. It's fucking beautiful. And alive.
- combat isn't bad so far. I'm playing on death march and good old trusty Quen still works.
- on the first few quests and contracts, I love the tone and mood they've set for the quests. It's something I loved in previous entries but it seems they've gone the extra mile to cement Witchers as these local supernatural constables/PIs. The overall presentation of the quests so far makes them that much more believable. The writing and characters so far are flawless. I'm entirely sold on this world. I already was since it's the third game but it feels like the world has gained a dimension.
- I love how they finally streamlined the map with modern open world game features.
- Traversal is so much better than before. The horse and fast travel help a lot obviously.
- Not sold yet on the food/potion/vitality system but we'll see.
- That font size still sucks.

I was hyped for this game and yet, I'm still floored and engrossed. I'm so going to do everything in it.

Edit: here's to hoping they didn't blow their load with how well that first contract was presented (to act as a showcase).

Chariot

Dat feel when you realize that you can move the camera slighty in cutscenes.

And dat feel when your game freezes when you push Esc one too many times in the item menu. It's really difficult to don't follow the habit of closing things with Esc.

OmegaDL50

Friend of mine just said graphics don't look much better than Last of Us on PS4. What do you think?

One game is comprised of relatively small to medium sized areas and carefully constructed set pieces, the other is a very large sprawling open world game.

It's a given one is able to push more graphical fidelity and larger level of detailed pushed through the renderer at the cost of having smaller areas to explore.

Audioboxer

The movement of geralt really sucks. So laggy and clumsy. How could anyone play test this and think it's not a chore to control?

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, I was running everything @ ultra minus hairworks until I got to this spot at which point I lowered the foliage render distance to high and was back at 60. That setting requires a ton of power at ultra.

Okay so I went back and fought against the framerate drops and gpu usage...

Managed to keep 1440p and shadows and foliage at medium...42fps lock was fine, but I carried on down the road (took a right at the split) and went to the abandoned village and it was even more demanding and super stuttery. Capped framerate at 38.

--- this time dropping to 1080p did manage to keep it holding fine...not sure what happened last time. Can keep high foliage and shadows....really want high foliage so the grass draw in line isn't so close. Think I'm just going to keep 1080 or drop to 30fps on 1440 :(

DrSlek

Starting out the game, didnt played the other Witcher games so, what is the best option when the game ask you to make your own desitions or allow it to take the decision for you from Witcher 2 events?

There is no best option. The Witcher 2 plot was very subjective in terms of good/bad decisions.

Personally I bro'd it up with Iorveth, saved Saskia and let Letho go.

Forgot to mention, the full-on open worlds are jaw-dropping in size. You'll understand when y'all see it; it's amazing.
im aware, but the issue im talking about is something that is for sure hard to address in any game of the genre but still, I dont think they provided much of an elegant solution here

[snip]

Oh, I see. I never even considered finding that beforehand, which would make the whole thing a fair bit more awkward.

One day they'll be able to solve such fringe cases. But, for now, I guess TW3 can't do everything right - it just wouldn't be fair.

OmegaDL50

Some of the screenshots I've seen on the PC version (like in the PC screenshots thread) look incredible. So what's a pretty good video card that isn't super expensive? Like less than $200 preferably. lol I currently have a Radeon 7870 HD and I have no idea how well the game will run with that

Your video card isn't much worse then mine and I'm running the game at Ultra at a solid 30 FPS with Hairworks disabled and just Shadow detail and Foliage toned down to high.

I have a HD7950 in case you are wondering. You might get away with running everything on high with a few things set on Ultra which will likely exceed the console versions.

Nose Master

How do you get deception points? Found my first check for one... but none of the ability point options seem to boost that.

Nvm, it's tied to Axii. Dumb.

Sijil

I don't think every Middle East version of The Witcher 3 is censored, at least not on Steam, because I'm staring at Yennefer's bare naked ass right now.

I am still yet to see an execution animation. Can anyone tell me if this is something I unlock in the skill tree or am I doing something wrong?

frontovik

Banned
Wow, Gwent is pretty addicting. I'm surprised that CDPR didn't release it as a standalone game like Hearthstone. Props to them for not milking it.

Has anyone been able to defeat the innkeep in Oxenfurt? The fellow has so many high quality cards.

I've only spent about 6 hours in the game, did the first contract and few sidequests and places of interest, and I'm already overwhelmed lol. No technical issue at all on my 6-year-old PC as well, the game runs beautifully on all ultra (w/o hairworks) at 1080p / 30 fps capped.
This game is sooo good. This is the Witcher game that I've always wanted.

Majukun

checked around..seems that apart from wraith,there's no way to get emerald dust as loot..only problem is that now i've done basically everything on the first map and still i don't have enough money to buy it from the quartermaster...maybe i should go around selling stuff...

So towards the end of the "Family Matters" quest line anyone know where to go
after it says "Investigate all remaining leads and find the Barons wife"?

skynidas

Banned
One question, i'm fucking lost right now. I ran out of items to eat for healing, what's the best way to replenish them? I don't have too much money to buy them from merchants.

MihowZa

Banned
Did I spend 6 hours running around w/o having my ability points things that I upgraded, equipped? Of course I did! Much more vitality now, yes.

The dungeon battles are no joke, people. Get ready to roll & retry. Especially on the hard difficulty. Gargoyles may have been cake the last time, but BEWARE THE STOMP this time around.

So after about 4 hours in White Orchard, I'm really digging the game (a lot more than W2). Great atmosphere, interesting quests, a good job situating Geralt in the world and in relation to important people in his life. Also, I like the battle system. I've seen lots of complaints that it's not responsive enough, but I would call it deliberate. You have to pay careful attention to the enemies, think of positioning, and choose when to attack and when to back off.

Reminds me of Episode Duscae (which also drew complaints of sluggishness, but which also shone if you embraced a methodical approach to combat).

Auctopus

I feel like removing healing from Meditation in Death March was a bit of a mistake. All it does is make it a slog to go buy more food when you're out of combat, it's not challenging, it's just a bit irritating.

I'm only a few hours in but it's good so far. I just wish the font was bigger. I have to move in closer to read most things. I haven't encountered any bugs yet and the load times have been really quick - my hybrid drive helps, I bet.

Nose Master

checked around..seems that apart from wraith,there's no way to get emerald dust as loot..only problem is that now i've done basically everything on the first map and still i don't have enough money to buy it from the quartermaster...maybe i should go around selling stuff...

I sold a few of those meteorite things. Can't imagine I'll be needing them for about 30 hours.

I seriously don't understand drowners. I can kill ghouls and elves 7 levels higher than me, but drowners that are the same level as me regularly kill me.

I feel like removing healing from Meditation in Death March was a bit of a mistake. All it does is make it a slog to go buy more food when you're out of combat, it's not challenging, it's just a bit irritating.
Yeah. That particular choice might need rebalancing. As a rule of thumb, I find making a given task more tedious doesn't necessarily make a game more challenging.

Tacitus_

I am still yet to see an execution animation. Can anyone tell me if this is something I unlock in the skill tree or am I doing something wrong?

Stun / knockdown an enemy mook and you should get one. There's also the kills where bodyparts start flying around but I those seem to come randomly. A couple of peasants wanted to fight and I chopped one of them in half... felt kinda bad >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom