• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

all right..managed to get that damn emerald powder...who knew that pelts sell for so much?i hade a little treasure and didn't know it.
If any one gets the shadow bug all you have to do is switch the hub size back and forward and it goes.

what bug?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yo, the
werewolf side story where you have to track hanah and then find the lair
is really kicking my ass. Thing keeps healing and I can't live long enough.

I really don't think it's possible at level 5 (what I currently am), I'm going back once I finish off a couple more missions and level up some more.

So I went to Best Buy to pick up my preorder and steelbook but the associate told me the steelbook wouldn't be available to release until tomorrow. But he let me have the game.
wtb.png
Did that happen to anybody else?

Dreathlock

Keyboard and mouse works very good! Had to adjust some keys but its 100% better now. Its just not responsive and too clunky with a controller. Try it out! I love it...

Your video card isn't much worse then mine and I'm running the game at Ultra at a solid 30 FPS with Hairworks disabled and just Shadow detail and Foliage toned down to high.

I have a HD7950 in case you are wondering. You might get away with running everything on high with a few things set on Ultra which will likely exceed the console versions.

Thanks a lot for your reply, it makes me feel a bit better. :)

What is your CPU? (might PM you this question since this thread moves so fast lol)

boskee

So after 15 hours of playing I have almost cleared White Orchard area and barely started Velen. Unless the game pulls Act 3 from The Witcher 2, their claims of ~200 hours worth of content seem plausible.

Beefy

all right..managed to get that damn emerald powder...who knew that pelts sell for so much?i hade a little treasure and didn't know it.

what bug?

I was fighting some wolves in the water when suddenly there was a dark shadowy effect to every waters edge.

Tom Penny

Controls are kind of clunky on PC. I don't get why devs don't borrow from other games. Maybe they are too prideful to steal on someone else's ideas but Batman / Shadow of Mordor type fighting would have made this way better were it's timing based.

First time playing a Witcher game here, and my first impressions are not too good to be honest :( , and I really wanted to like this.

Aside for a few minor glitches, the game does look beautiful on PS4, but about the movement and combat...

I don´t know, after playing Bloodborne this just feels so clunky and unresponsive, hopefully it´ll get better later.

Also, just as I was starting to get engaged in story, the game crashes, right after pressing skip in the card game, like many other people here.

I think I had enough for today.

Maybe I rushed too much to play this, maybe I expected something different, I don´t really know, but I´ll try to keep at it.

nero2082

wow I'm so impressed with how colorful this game is, and I was pretty sure I will hate this (they changed color palette in development, first it was supposed to be a gritty "fuck colors" world like on that famous swamp gif)

but yeah after going out of first inn to check out the village I was stunned after what I saw, exceeded all my expectations after that tunneled trash called Witcher 2 Assassins of Tunnels (hate this game with passion)

lovin how wide it is now, I already know that's my GOTY

QP3

Graduate tomorrow morning, then I think I will treat myself and pick this one up. Can't ignore the response so far from gaf. Good stuff, enjoy everyone.

What are the best way to handle ghouls? I think that's what they are called. I'm playing on hardest difficulty and when there are a group of them I just get demolished. Btw, I'm early into the game.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else getting absolutely overwhelmed by the inventory?

I'm maybe 4 hours in, and my alchemy inventory is at its absolute max, and I still can't make shit.

I honestly don't know what to do with 90% of the stuff I pick up. Do I sell it, dismantle it, hold on to it?

I honestly have no fucking clue. It is overwhelming.

hawk2025

First time playing a Witcher game here, and my first impressions are not too good to be honest :( , and I really wanted to like this.

Aside for a few minor glitches, the game does look beautiful on PS4, but about the movement and combat...

I don´t know, after playing Bloodborne this just feels so clunky and unresponsive, hopefully it´ll get better later.

Also, just as I was starting to get engaged in story, the game crashes, right after pressing skip in the card game, like many other people here.

Maybe I rushed too much to play this, maybe I expected something different, I don´t really know, but I´ll try to keep at it.

You just can't expect the combat system to even come close to Bloodborne's -- it's just not the game's strength at all.

Play it for all other things it does very well, not that, IMO.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wow I'm so impressed with how colorful this game is, and I was pretty sure I will hate this (they changed color palette in development, first it was supposed to be a gritty "fuck colors" world like on that famous swamp gif)

but yeah after going out of first inn to check out the village I was stunned after what I saw, exceeded all my expectations after that tunneled trash called Witcher 2 Assassins of Tunnels (hate this game with passion)

lovin how wide it is now, I already know that's my GOTY
Yeah, I initially thought I would prefer the old colors but the lighting at sunrise/sunset is just too good.

This is also the first game to get dusk/dawn lighting right.

I'm maybe 4 hours in, and my alchemy inventory is at its absolute max, and I still can't make shit.

I honestly don't know what to do with 90% of the stuff I pick up. Do I sell it, dismantle it, hold on to it?

Yep. I really need some kind of item/alchemy FAQ

iNvid02

finally moving onto vizima now. did everything there was to do in white orchard, even gwent.

it does look really good at times, which considering the supposed scope is an incredible achievement.

edit: except the water, inside the well it looked like geralt was swimming in jello or some shit, ew

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!

I started dismantling everything in the hope that the end result would be fewer different items.... might be wrong

RoKKeR

Man, Ghouls are the hardest enemy in the game for me. Even low level ones I get destroyed. What are their weaknesses? Only one shows up in the bestiary for me and it is some potion.

I remember playing Inquistion right after Dark Souls and having similar problems, now it's happening again. You just have to get in the mindset of thinking more about using special abilities rather than physical attacks I think. It's a lot more fun now! Even if it's still no Bloodborne ;)

KorrZ

I always have such anxiety in these games that I'm missing side quests. I've only got 1 point of interest left to explore in white orchard but in my mind all I'm thinking of is if I should do a loop around the whole map to see if I missed any quests >.>

Robiin

I just started playing and I'm in your boat as well. There are plants and sttuff everywhere. And when I need something specific (like a specter oil for a goul fight or grapeshot bomb which i apparently need to blow up a monsters nest or somethinf) I still don't have the right ingredients. I'm trying to play this blind but I just don't know..

Dinjoralo

Are there any blacksmiths in Velen that I can get a better silver sword from? The only one I've founf is the one in Novigrad that I need to do a high-level quest for.

hawk2025

Thanks, I´ll definitely give it another try, just needed to vent some of my frustration

I've been playing pretty much nothing but Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 since March 24th, so basically 2 full months now.

Trust me, I totally get it -- but we are comparing basically the top of the line of action and combat (IMO) with a game that does a whole lot of different things, but unfortunately falters some in the combat itself.

If we can get into all the other stuff (of which there is a TON), we'll have a good time I think :) Just think about how sprawling and intensive all of these mechanics and areas of the world are. There's SO much to learn and explore.

You just can't expect the combat system to even come close to Bloodborne's -- it's just not the game's strength at all.

Play it for all other things it does very well, not that, IMO.

Yeah, definitely. I mentioned something similar earlier in the thread. If you go in planning to compare the combat to Bloodborne or Souls you're going to have a bad time. The combat isn't nearly as refined as those games, and the focus of the game is not on having excellent combat.

If you try to play like Souls or Bloodborne you're going to be trying to rely too much on rolling and i-frames, which just doesn't work. Instead you should focus more on the strategy behind your fights (brewing the right potions and items, utilizing your spells correctly, etc).

Sai

Man, Ghouls are the hardest enemy in the game for me. Even low level ones I get destroyed. What are their weaknesses? Only one shows up in the bestiary for me and it is some potion.
Necrophage Oil, keep dodging, and pick them off one at a time; keep your focus on a single target until you've widdled the entire group down.

Signs like Igni and Aard are good for stunning them for one or two good hits. Haven't tried it yet, but if Yreden can even slow them down a bit, it should be quite helpful for crowd control.

Red Hood

Banned
Six hours in and I think I just finished the introduction :p Just finished answering
the questions of consequences from prior games
(unfortunately I played Witcher 2 on the Xbox, so I didn't have a PC save file ready).

bounchfx

16 hours in, i feel like I've barely done anything. I'm really enjoying it a ton so far.. it's pretty much everything I've wanted in an open world rpg.

there's definitely some glitches, and movement takes a little to get used to, but overall this game is fucking awesome. It's pretty, the quests are interesting, the dialogue is well written, it has amazing music, and honestly, for a game in this genre, the combat is excellent. I find it interesting that people expected it to be on the same level as something like bloodborne or other action games but that seems like an unreasonable expectation they might have built up in their own heads. What it has in there is actiony and more than enough for a game like this. could it be better? absolutely. however I think it's still really fun and probably one of the better battle systems of existing open world rpgs.

excited to play more, wish I didn't have to work. Ffff

Prine

Banned
The UI just doesn't work, I'm wrestling with it, does the map take a second to load for anyone else? Stopping to open my menu to add oils to my blade (didn't like this mechanic from W2)? Picking up journal items and have to sift through my bloody inventory to find where the letter I just picked up is placed. Horrible ui, especially for controllers, you can tell they're new to consoles.

I'm loving the game despite my frustration with the UI.

Necrophage Oil is what you want. Apply it to your Silver Sword and you're good to go. I always make sure I have a Quen activated as well before I go into any fight. Advise doing that too.

PreFire

Managed to crank everything up to 1620p with INI tweaks and OC. Still runs at 70-80 fps. Some uncompressed PNG shots from very early in the game. Since I still have some headroom, I might experiment with more lighting/LOD tweaks. We'll see

Sample:
witcher32015-05-1913-34-27-60.png
Wow.. Beautiful.

anddo0

Do npc's come back from the dead?

The merchant in White Orchard died for no reason. His icon is still there, but his body is just laying there on the ground like he's dead.

Some tips for menus on PS4:

Swiping up or down on your touchpad brings you straight to the map.
L1 then square takes you to meditation
Holding the touchpad takes you straight to inventory

ironcreed

Banned
Man, there is just so much shit to see and do in even just a small slice of exploring. Do not judge this game by White Orchard. You are in for a shock.

I love the game but encountered in White Orchard only a quest breaking bug and an abandoned place I can't free (because there are no enemies around).

This is kinda spoiling the experience for a completionnist, but hy the game came out today, so, maybe patch ?

viveks86

Went back and made a comparison of the default settings with the same screenshot posted above. Couldn't perfectly align it since I literally had to go back, play again and take screenshots with the default ini. Gives an idea of the differences in foliage clarity across resolutions as well as the lighting, LoD and foliage enhancements that the tweaks enable.

comp.gif

Might do some draw distance comparisons later. This was probably not the best comparison for draw distance since that island in front is not part of white orchard and doesn't really have more terrain detail to draw.

EDIT:

Crap! Didn't label the 1st frame correctly. They are all "Ultra"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom