• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamicowzi

Banned
I came back at level 3 and stomped it but I'm pretty confident I could have done it at level 1 now. Just need to know how to deal with it. Liberal use of Yrden.
I actually used Aard a lot and timed my dodges for when it teleported. When I stunned it with Aard, I could get a few good hits in and the get out the way fast enough

Hupsel

Game is pretty cool so far, but some things bug me.

. Geralt takes way too much damage when falling from ledges.
. I expected more of the open world exploration, at least from the starting area. In the end, it seems its the same as in every other game. You go to the "?" and get a hidden treasure, a monster nest or a small mission to clear monsters.
. Combat reaaaaally needs some improvements. Im still doing the same shit as Witcher 2, spamming the shield spell and mind control in the top difficult option. Swordplay isnt smooth.

So meditation doesn't restore vitality on blood and bones?

It tells you that straight up in the game. Have to use food.

Just watched someone play the intro. Can't wait to get this from gamefly. FFX shipped Monday and came Thursday last week. Hopefully the same can be said for this game. I'm off Thurs. / Friday so would be nice to be able to play awhile.

Will be tough putting down FFX though. That combat system reminded me how much better I like Turn based style combat over action twitch based combat

CHC

Anyone that has progressed further in the game able to comment on how the performance in White Orchard is vs the rest of the game? Is it a good indicator of performance?

Was testing different HUD options and trying out Very Hard difficulty and just fought my first giant bear (lv6 while i'm lv2)...

(no spoilers or anything... also, not particularly special or skillful :p just a basic video haha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYSNmxctHzU

but it completely sold me on playing the game without a Minimap and on Death March difficulty... exploring the countryside not staring at the minimap... and seeing that bear off in the distance without the distraction of radar... and then how hard the bear hit on very hard...

when was coming over that hill's horizon and then first saw the giant bear haha or killing it with like 5% HP left that moment i knew i wanted to play the entire game like this

did this for the last couple hours around Velen at lv2 and i feel the game is so good on hard difficulty + no minimap :D especially the exploration... completely changes how you explore the world.

the HUD is completely gone when you're HP is at 100% but similar to Dragon Age INQ, the 'combat HUD' appears not only during combat but anytime you're not fully healed (which sucks) but otherwise I turned off everything. thinking about turning off additional items (bread and xbow) too and just keeping HP bars

Why are dogs significantly harder than all other enemies I've faced so far?

The freaking griffin was easier than these damn dogs.

I'm playing on the regular difficulty setting, and I pretty easily took down 7 or 8 bandits who were between level 7-11 I think. Some of them had skulls next to their names. I was level 4 with a sword in shitty condition. But they weren't much of an issue. Those dogs though, even the fucking level 1s can usually get a decent amount of my health before I put them down.

DrSlek

I actually used Aard a lot and timed my dodges for when it teleported. When I stunned it with Aard, I could get a few good hits in and the get out the way fast enough

in my experience, wraiths...or spectres of all kinds lose their blur ability when they enter Yrden.

But so far I only have 2 wraith encounters to base this off. The Noonwraith and the wraith at the place of power. But so far my theory works....also the beastiary recommends Yrden, possibly because it removes the blur and allows you to hit them.

At level 1, I took out a level 6 bear on my first attempt. The thing was gigantic. Just don't let the front of him line up with you and get him inside a nest of trees. Try to dodge in a way that he constantly has to maneuver around the trees. Just keep attacking his sides and dodge his attacks. It was a great fight.

It is odd how no review mentioned these awful controls. I've seen many reviews give severe point penalties to games with bad controls.

I'll see for myself how bad they are soon enough but the last 3 streams I watched had the person complaining pretty heavily about it

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does the leveling feel slow to anyone else? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, which I know slows leveling, but man, this feels silly.

I played some last night and feels good so far. This seems like one of those games where you better put some time aside for it when you start. Feels like the time I've spent so far I'd be getting near to mid-game in some other titles, but in Witcher 3 I have only
managed to talk with some villagers about Yennefer and their problems, beat up some of the mentioned villagers in a fistfight, and killed a ghost at a well.
. Pleased to see no "kill ten boars" stuff as of yet.

Only thing that bothers me is that this seems like to be one of those games that might make me a bit motion sick, but putting the camera turn sensitivity way low seemed to help.

Early game alchemy question:

I read from somewhere, that it is a good idea to craft the swallow potion early on (playing at the 2nd hardest difficulty). Could someone give me nudge to the right direction where I could find the materials? The brain I got and idea where to look for, but the flower?

If some of you are button mashing then you really should turn up the difficulty to Death March. You can't get away with that there.

I also personally feel like it's just the right amount of challenge.

Does the leveling feel slow to anyone else? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, which I know slows leveling, but man, this feels silly.
reminds me of old pen and paper haha play all weekend and the dungeon master only let's you reach level 3 ;p

i don't mind as long as there's great item progression or other things to work on, too, which seems to be good so far. i really like the balance between selling/dismantling/crafting right now.

some folks talked about upgrading your default witcher gear... i haven't seen any option to upgrade it tho.

Saw that video with the camera stuttering and that looks annoying, but not super deal breaking.
The stuttering is too much for me. I have a bit of a backlog that I may play for awhile in hopes of a patch.
Instantly distracting and consuming when I first set foot in ths world.

Furyous

Still trying to figure this out. I checked all blacksmiths in the first zone and the ones I had found in Velen and no one had any schematics. Very stupid to give you all these items with sockets and not be able to use them.

You missed the viper gear in White Orchard. There's a quest where you tackle a bandit hideout and find it there.

---

Having fun trying my best to grind levels. I earned one sixth of the places of interest aka ability points in white orchard. Pushing that first mission finale back as far as possible in order to max out my abilities. What build are you guys going with? I'm grinding Axii, Igni, basic attack, and strong attack. I need something with more umph that levels with me. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Apparently, there are
mermaids
in this game which fucking sucks for me because NOPE, clearly I'm not bout that sea life. I'm going to skim ahead and make sure I NOPE my way away from
mermaids and sharks
. My mentality is if it has a health bar it dies.

Why in the fuck are monsters so scary? Took me a minute to get over my fear of goblins and drowners. Never faced a drowner in the water and not about to push my luck either.

What choice did you guys choose in the missing persons side quest? Hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the behind.

Dmax3901

Finally got out of White Orchard after doing every side quest and checking out all the points of interest. About 8-10 hours I'd say? I'm not sure how to check your time played. Pretty damn good for just the tutorial area though!

Arrived in Velen and holy shit it's so big and somehow even more beautiful. I made it to the first town Inn and
came across some bandits who were giving me a hard time. I played it cool...until one of them started bragging about how they'd raped a little girl. I brutally slaughtered their whole crew. Innkeep was none too pleased, but fuck him for harboring these scum

Lol exact same thing as me. Bought them a round, but when I heard them talking I was like nah fuck that and drew my sword.

Vire

The stuttering is too much for me. I have a bit of a backlog that I may play for awhile in hopes of a patch.
Instantly distracting and consuming the instant I set foot in ths world.
Could you do me a favor and try setting the camera sensitivity to .80?

Reddit mentioned this helps smooth out the judder and I'm curious if it actually helps. I don't have the game yet.

Only a few hours in but my god its beautiful. Really really enjoying it so far. Havn't even scratched the surface yet though but so far the controls feel fine and the combat is decent enough for sure. Great score, good voice acting, holy shit at how amazing the storms look. My first Witcher game and I think I'm in love. Made sure to watch the retrospectives and read up a little bit before diving in. So far the performance (PS4) is just fine. Havn't been in many big fights yet though. So far so good!

Edit : Honeymoon phase for sure. Hopefully it stays this enjoyable throughout.

Oneself

Played the PS4 version for about an hour and it didn't crash or anything. It does feel janky, controls are GTA-bad and fighting feels clunky à la Assassin's Creed ... But wow, I'm having much more fun than with DA Inquisition, the world is huge and looks awesome, dialogues and choices are well done, voice acting is mostly good and, well, it feels kinda like when I first played Oblivion on 360, the world craves for exploration.

How possible is it to just do the "main story" missions only? Do you need to do the side missions to not get destroyed on it.

I am doing the werewolf side mission in the first bit after yennifer and I got destroyed :(

Blizzard

Banned
Since searching the entire thread doesn't seem to produce a mention of a stash, I turned to the internet and found this:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-1705588522

It suggests that you can just pick a spot on the map and dump equipment there, and it doesn't (hopefully?) vanish. You can eventually go back and retrieve it. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Someone also suggested that saddlebags increase your carry capacity, or possibly act as a horse stash? I haven't found them yet.

Flandy

Can someone explain to me why the Sun is out at 3 AM pls?
A2A8CFA53B7C73FF6AC179EC299131E3B19C7C58

BLunted

Banned
Since searching the entire thread doesn't seem to produce a mention of a stash, I turned to the internet and found this:

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-1705588522

It suggests that you can just pick a spot on the map and dump equipment there, and it doesn't (hopefully?) vanish. You can eventually go back and retrieve it. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Someone also suggested that saddlebags increase your carry capacity, or possibly act as a horse stash? I haven't found them yet.

So far, all I have found was a +30 saddlebag. Seen bigger in some of the vids though.

Could you do me a favor and try setting the camera sensitivity to .80?

Reddit mentioned this helps smooth out the judder and I'm curious if it actually helps. I don't have the game yet.
Damn I'm in bed but I do remember trying .79 for some reason and the same issue. Ended up settling with the lowest possible speed.
I bought digital so I really hope this is addressed.

I found an
Ekimmara
. Red skull though, so I couldn't fight it. I would have loved to kill it and get the bestiary to know how to beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom