• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Ugh, I was afraid of this happening. Since I still don't know all the systems very well in this game, I don't know what to ever put my ability points into. Ive spent 3 points so far, but I've got another 3 that I'm like terrified to put into anything because I might be specking my character wrong.

Do not worry friend!

You can respec your character!

The first spot where you will be able to do that is at Level 5, in Velen, where you can access Velen Side Quest “An Invitation from Keira Metz". Follow your quest line and meet Keira, she will ask you to visit her home later. Go for it and ask to see her wares during your conversation.

At the bottom of her stock you will see a green skulled bottle, the “Potion of Clearance": it costs 1000 gold but in return you will have “all spent Ability Points to the available pool so that you can redistribute them".

TheFatMan

So are some of the things up on the notice boards just entirely pointless? I've noticed a handful now that I've taken that are not quests or anything at all. Some add a marker on the map and some just outright do nothing despite the note asking for help with something.

Usually one or two will add a quest. The rest are just for lore/fun. Only pointless if you don't like those things :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hit and run tactics on horseback while level six against level 16 bandits was going well until the stupid fucking horse decided to get caught on a fence and I was one hit killed with an arrow. Thanks Roach.

Aces&Eights

Ugh, I was afraid of this happening. Since I still don't know all the systems very well in this game, I don't know what to ever put my ability points into. Ive spent 3 points so far, but I've got another 3 that I'm like terrified to put into anything because I might be specking my character wrong.

Reddit has a pretty good link for what to do depending on your class. Notsure if against rules to link to reddit so I will paraphrase.

First, are you going in full on sorcerer or warrior? If warrior want a dex build or tank build?

Dex would be putting in the points for the fast swings and increased speed and the tank build is for the power hit level ups. STICK WITH ONE. Depending on the diff level you picked, magic might not be needed much. the lower two difficulties only need the basics but if you are doing that blood and bones or death march, you want to level up magic as well. Protective shield is a go to magic.

My guy will be full on dex (left side of the skill tree things)all the way down. Then I will pump the rest between alchemy (for bad ass bombs) and some magic just I do have a forcefield when I need it.

Hit and run tactics on horseback while level six against level 16 bandits was going well until the stupid fucking horse decided to get caught on a fence and I was one hit killed with an arrow. Thanks Roach.

Learned you can hold down square button while riding and aiming at enemy and it slows down time to land a good hit. Died quite a bit before that lol

CHC

Playing with mini-map off is so awesome. I'm starting to learn White Orchard based off landmarks and it feels soooooo good.

I also love having to pause to look at the map and then try to remember the route in my head, like "left at this fork, take the small path, turn right at the ruins," etc. The world really lends itself to landmark-based navigation.

I went and did a whole story arch at level 4, the quests were rated 5-6 and I got a LOT of experience from it. I suggest you pick a story quest and stick with it for awhile to get built up. Not having any problems now that I've reached the level 10 range.

Note, if the quest is green then you can probably handle it, even if the recommended level is higher. (green text in the quest screen that is)

Thanks for that. What I don't want to happen is what can happen in the starting area where if you do too much of the main story missions side missions close off. Will that happen now "the arc" has been set? If so I will look forward to story missions.

KlotePino

The default world state probably has the maximum possible of character still alive. We saw all these character that could die in the latest trailer they released, so they are in Witcher 3.

This is probably your best bet but seriously, the game asks you at the beginning if you want to make these choices. You just changed your mind when actually faced with them? Seems like a real edge-case scenario that CDPR shouldn't have to account for.

Aces&Eights

For my final comment of the evening, I would like to say how much I love being thrown into a game and given zero direction on how any of the mechanics works. seriously. I call it Souls Syndrome but that feeling of being overwhelmed as you scroll through menus and stare at the crafting thing like a monkey, only to slowly and surely start to put it all together on your own makes it so worth it. Quest markers aside, there is zero hand holding in menu department and I love it. Makes me feel like a really am in over my head . I will prevail!

Reddit has a pretty good link for what to do depending on your class. Notsure if against rules to link to reddit so I will paraphrase.

First, are you going in full on sorcerer or warrior? If warrior want a dex build or tank build?

Dex would be putting in the points for the fast swings and increased speed and the tank build is for the power hit level ups. STICK WITH ONE. Depending on the diff level you picked, magic might not be needed much. the lower two difficulties only need the basics but if you are doing that blood and bones or death march, you want to level up magic as well. Protective shield is a go to magic.

My guy will be full on dex (left side of the skill tree things)all the way down. Then I will pump the rest between alchemy (for bad ass bombs) and some magic just I do have a forcefield when I need it.

I'm still not really sure how I should play, I mean, I do alright, but multiple guys be a problem with my current strategy, especially arrow dudes. I've mainly been swinging away with fast attack, dodge when I can, putting up protective shield as often as I can in case one of em lands a hit.

I'm also confused about another thing...crafting. All the craftsman say I need to level up crafting, but I don't see a spot anywhere to do that...I thought it was an ability point thing, but didn't see it there...crafting in the menu says I need to be at a crafter, and everything in the menu when I talk to one of those guys say I'm not leveled enough.

Learned you can hold down square button while riding and aiming at enemy and it slows down time to land a good hit. Died quite a bit before that lol

By dex do you mean the fast "square button" attack? I'm gonna respec I think coz my character lacks real focus.

Aces&Eights

By dex do you mean the fast "square button" attack? I'm gonna respec I think coz my character lacks real focus.

Yes, the fast attack ones. in the menu for upgrades they are under the weapons category (obviously) and are the ones on the left. There are 4 slots in a row running up and down. Next, on the right is the ones for heavy hitting (triangle) I keep reading that due to ability points not being enough to fill everything that one should pick a side, so to speak, with their attacking with blades. I am going to do the fast swing ones. Hint, you can highlight the locked boxes below them and they will tell you what you will be getting later.

Then, I will pump up that Quan/Shield magic barrier thing for last resorts in mob fights and bosses and spend some in the alchemy stuff, making bombs, oils for swords as I feel that would compliment my lesser impacting sword swings.

AS for crafting, you can have people do it for you or you can spend a couple points in alchemy and give yourself the ability to do it. this is why I think picking one weapon side and then alchemy is a good split for me. I get fast, quick blades yet have high level to create potent bombs and oils for my swords. Drop one or two in the Magic barrier and I am ready to take on the fricking worldlol

Loakum

Banned
I'm lovin this game but this frame rate...ugh. The frame rate drops just at the beginning of that cut scene when the Griffin attacks that merchant's horse is unacceptable! It gets REALLY bad. I hope they fix this soon.

TheRed

Any impressions on Death March difficulty from folks? Mostly very challenging but satisfying-to-beat changes or are they more just tedious or poorly scaled? Specifically anyone already about 7-8 hours in and fighting some of the more varied monsters.

I really like it gotta be careful, I'm like 30 hours in and the only time I've gotten frustrated and stuck on a certain fight for an hour was a certain quest that had you fight 2 groups of about 5 wraiths at once those things wreck hard in groups.

mooksoup

I'm worried about doing too many story missions now i know side quests can be locked off if you move ahead too far.

Does it give you any kind of indication (no turning back etc.) when you are about to move the main story on significantly?

ironcreed

Banned
I am quite surprised at all of the loot. Chests galore everywhere and just so much to see and do. I am roughly 14 hours in and feel like I am barely making a dent, but am loving every minute of being in this world.

Exuro

Is anyone else having trouble using the aard and yrden places of power in white orchard? I press them and nothing happens, and on the map they show up white while the other places are grayed out(since I used them at least once and got the ability up).

edit: huh, had to hold e longer on those. Or I'm just dumb.

Jolkien

I really like it gotta be careful, I'm like 30 hours in and the only time I've gotten frustrated and stuck on a certain fight for an hour was a certain quest that had you fight 2 groups of about 5 wraiths at once those things wreck hard in groups.

Oh god... I'm looking and not looking forward to that, both at the same time.

Aces&Eights

Is anyone else having trouble using the aard and yrden places of power in white orchard? I press them and nothing happens, and on the map they show up white while the other places are grayed out(since I used them at least once and got the ability up).

I hate to ask but are you holding down square long enough to drain it all?

Its going to be damn difficult for another game to top this in my personal GOTY awards this year. I'm only 8 hours in and its just a god tier RPG. There are a few things that aren't perfect such as framerate and some glitches, but goodness the quests, story, graphics, and writing more than make up for it.

Even combat feels much tighter than TW2

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there a reason that all the foliage in this game looks like it's in the middle of an F4 tornado?

Did anyone get the Best Buy steelbook copy? Interested in seeing how it looks

I have a feeling they're somehow going to mess it up just like they did with the SSB Wii U LE lol

Never change Best Buy
tumblr_inline_nftbgkp9vF1qjiqux.gif

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
After some more time with it, the leveling definitely speeds up after exiting the first zone and entering into the second.

Don't necessarily do what I did, and try and uncover every single question mark/quest hub. That way lies madness, and a bunch of stuff that's waaay to high for your level.

Going through some level-appropriate side quests and finishing with some main story quests brought me from where I was stagnating at 4-5, all the way up to 10.

Also, 'appropriate' signs are really good for relevant monsters. It's not something where you can necessarily just igni everything.

Playing with mini-map off is so awesome. I'm starting to learn White Orchard based off landmarks and it feels soooooo good.

I also love having to pause to look at the map and then try to remember the route in my head, like "left at this fork, take the small path, turn right at the ruins," etc. The world really lends itself to landmark-based navigation.

Good luck doing that in velen. First time I zoomed out from my location in nearly had a heart attack.

Ekushiria

Neo Member
Are lootable objects (barrels, chests, etc.) suppose to show up on the mini-map when the "Witcher Senses on Minimap" option is turned on? What exactly does this option do? I've found no difference on the minimap whether this option is turned on or off.

Jolkien

Okay, I'm new to gog so I don't really know what I'm doing. How do I download the game?

Are you kidding ? On the website or the gog galaxy client ? I recommend the client it's just like steam. http://www.gog.com/galaxy

Otherwise you can download the whole game in multiple file or use the gog downloader if it still exist.

To view and download your game on the website go to account -> libreary -> select your game. You should be good once in there to install it. Otherwise in the client, select the game, press install, that's it.

Check your bestiary. It'll serve you the whole game.

Text is too small, can't read :p.

Another thing, when people say the game crashes ( like when playing cards) is it just the game that crashes and you're able to just close the game and start up, or does the console crash with it where you have to restart your console?.

Okay, I'm new to gog so I don't really know what I'm doing. How do I download the game?

Login and go to your library under account tab. Then you can download the files separately.
You can also install gog galaxy (beta) and install the game just like you install games on steam.

I'm in the second zone at level 2 and I'm having a hell of a time facing all these high level enemies. I tried going back to the Orchard zone to try to level some more but I really can't find much to do. I'm playing on the third highest difficult. May have to bump it down one notch.

I think one of the more annoying things about the combat is just how weird Geralt's fighting style is. Like, you really don't need to be spinning around like a maniac Geralt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom