• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolkien

But you can eat in combat...I chomp raw meat and wolf livers all the time while fighting hordes of bandits.

Hmm odd I get the notification cannot be used while in combat when I do... maybe it's because it's in my inventory and not quick slotted. I'll have to test when I can play again tomorrow. I don't think I'd replace Swallow and Thunderbolt for my random adventuring, that combo is so good.

dedhead54

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask but as someone who hasn't played a witcher game and hasn't really gotten into RPG's, would it be ridiculous to get this game? I have watched reviews and gameplay and it seems like a great game that I would enjoy, but I played a bit of dragon age: inquisition and didn't like that at all.

Yes. I have never played a Witcher and have done very little RPG gaming and I sunk like 10-12 hours in to this game today. I couldn't put it down. I have probably never played videogames for 10 hours in a single day before, let alone one single game. It is fantastic.

YoodlePro

This is strange, dlc downloaded but it says waiting to install. I came out of the game, went back in and still nothing. Anyone else have this?

PS4 by the way

Exuro

A ton of really awesome side quests in this game. Not finished with it but the
Keira Metz
quest line is really enjoyable. And first time ploughing whooo.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow story spoilers about the first area

So much tragedy just because a guy was gay. Destroyed the whole damn town and people's lives with it.

edit: Also turned off the minimap just now... going to try and go without it. I skip so much of the actual scenery cause my eyes are on it.. but man not having monster blips and stuff is going to be rough.

Salsa

hate that when you run out of any sort of Food in the quick slot it won't show up there again if you get some

considering when you put something like raw meat and you run out it auto-selects whatever next food you have on your inventory it's odd that it reverts to nothing when you run out of all food

does that make sense? annoying when trying to regain health by hunting wild life and eating

leng jai

My GOG Galaxy download was stuck at 98.7% for ages and now it's gone backwards to 88% with 3GB to go again. This after GMG took over a day to even send the key. This is without doubt the worst launch experience I've ever had with a PC game. Absurdly annoying.

Read Bestiary. Move the R3 to right, see the names of the potions/oils/signs that help against that particular monster.
I thought the recommended potions/oils/signs was a great touch as it makes sense inuniverse, with Witchers being methodical monster hunters and learning about them and their weaknesses.

Every question is answered in the game if you look close enough.
You just have to look real close lol.

hate that when you run out of any sort of Food in the quick slot it won't show up there again if you get some

considering when you put something like raw meat and you run out it auto-selects whatever next food you have on your inventory it's odd that it reverts to nothing when you run out of all food

does that make sense? annoying when trying to regain health by hunting wild life and eating
Yeah, it makes total sense. There should at least be a setting that lets you toggle "fill slots with available food" that includes autofilling when going from "no food" to "food available". That kind of quality of life stuff tends to get patched in though.

Kuusoge

Mentioned this in the pc performance thread:
Anyone else having major lip sync issues? In the first area it was fine but today i moved on from the starting area and all the voices were out of sync. Sometimes it is minor, but often times, the VO is several words ahead of characters lips. Most of the time there is at least a words worth of delay and it's starting to become annoying

My GOG Galaxy download was stuck at 98.7% for ages and now it's gone backwards to 88% with 3GB to go again. This after GMG took over a day to even send the key. This is without doubt the worst launch experience I've ever had with a PC game. Absurdly annoying.

Download the files separately from the website?
That's what I did. Galaxy beta is still a mess.

I did not like my 780's performance at first, but it's not bad now. Solid 60fps with most sliders on medium.

The game is beautiful, but I can't help but feel I should wait for a patch. There's obviously so many things that need fixing.

Also, I was hell-bent to play the game using kb+m, but controller feels better for some reason.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The ability to turn HUD elements off on console is a godsend. This game is gorgeous, and I want to see the scenery.

Pretty dang fun to run around without the minimap as well.

Not just that
There's more side quests that keep telling the downfall of the town, and since you talked to the guy you know what caused it.

That didn't seem to happen for me... I'm not sure what I'm missing... Did more quests start after you completed that one?

It's the herbalist right? Where is the herbalist?

Yes. I have never played a Witcher and have done very little RPG gaming and I sunk like 10-12 hours in to this game today. I couldn't put it down. I have probably never played videogames for 10 hours in a single day before, let alone one single game. It is fantastic.

Dude go for it. Odds are you will enjoy it. This is one case where the reviews aren't hyperbole or overblown. The game is damned good

Thanks! That's all I needed really. Will go and buy it tomorrow.

Jhn

This has probably been mentioned earlier in here, but I can't read through 100+ pages of OT to check, sorry.

When trying to smoothly pan the camera when not stationary there's a really weird jitter at regular intervals. I can't tell if it's dropped frames or something about the camera controls, but it's really distracting.

Does anyone else have weird camera stuttering issues on ps4?

d9b

Banned
You can equip them instead of your food on those two slots. Personally I have my potion in these slots and I eat food straight from my inventory since you can't eat in combat anyway.
What do you mean "you can't eat in combat"? Yes you can.

Seeing how so many people are irritated by the combat, I think I will mention a few points.

First of all, the fighting style. I saw some people complain about how Geralt spins around a lot when he fights. Well it is because he is trained that way. That is how witchers of the Wolf school fight. As you can see in the tutorial segment at Kaer Morhen, when Ciri trained with the pendulum. Take a look and you will see that is exactly (also depicted in the books) how they are trained with their footwork, strikes and hits patterns.

Secondly, Geralt is not a tank. He isn't the chosen one with powers over all like other games. He is a highly trained, mutated hunter in a world of tons of more powerful beings than he is. And as a hunter, preparation comes first. Knowing weaknesses of monster is how they win, not by using brute force. So if you jump head first in a fight, you die like the rest. Because that is not how a hunter do things.

So, learn a monster weaknesses, attack patterns, prepare yourself and fight smart.

For example when dealing with drowners, learn how to read their attack windups and dodge accordingly or use igni to push them back, jump in dealing damage and back up before you got retaliated. Blindlessly spamming lmb will get you killed especially on higher difficulty and if you are outnumbered.

In this game specifically, I really love how CDPR manage to make me feel like the Geralt in books fight. So if you despise it because it is not how you want it to be, then tough. Because the devs stay true to the source and that is how it should be. Learn it or leave it I guess.

NIN90

I'm playing on the third difficulty (blanking on the name right now) but is consuming food the only way to regain health? The description said that I don't refill my health by meditation.

And what's the most efficient food to regain health?

Acinixys

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask but as someone who hasn't played a witcher game and hasn't really gotten into RPG's, would it be ridiculous to get this game? I have watched reviews and gameplay and it seems like a great game that I would enjoy, but I played a bit of dragon age: inquisition and didn't like that at all.

Its excellent

If you take the time to get into it you wont be disappointed

But if you dislike RPGs as a whole I would say rather just watch some lets plays

$60 is a lot for something you might hate

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah I did that.

Guess I just didn't connect the dots properly.

is it possible to end white orchard without having to kill all those punks in the bar?

If you go to the herbalist after the end, she talks more about that town. Basically the lord was going on drunken rampages cause his gay son killed himself (he did kill hismelf right?) who was the lover of that hunter. So the rampages are going outta control, so these people move off into their own settlement. Lord comes by one day, the woman calls his son gay, he goes ballistic and torches the town

Mutombo

So played the first two hours yesterday. God. So much stuff to do, I don't even...

Started on the more difficulty level too, but switched back to normal. I don't want to die to four ghouls over and over again at the beginning of the game and waste 20 minutes on looting a chest with lame ass loot. Once I get a better hang of the game I might switch back.

But games this big... man. I need a new way of playing, because I'm afraid I'll get impatient, and even though the side quests have a nice story and the main quest can be cool, I'll just skip through them because I want to get those dialogue options over with.

Semper88

GAF a few questions :

I'm maybe more then an hour in.

Earning money, how does this work? I'm playing on hard (the one before bloodmarch). I had to buy alot of food and also died and lost coin. NPCs don't seem to give much cash for stuff that you can sell.

Exp only comes from quests right?

Also my first minus.. Why oh why is the lock on cam so short...?! Have to be in the face to actually lock.

erawsd

These unskippable cutscenes when loading a save sure do make the game's crashes a lot more painful.

They are skippable, it plays while the game is loading in the background. I'm playing on an SSD and I can button through them. My guess is that on the consoles the game takes longer to load than the cutscene so it seems like its unskippable.

Yeah I did that.

Guess I just didn't connect the dots properly.

is it possible to end white orchard without having to kill all those punks in the bar?

I suspect that if you help
the hunter in Precious Cargo
, then you might not have to.

But I do not know if that quest will have such a significance. Probably not.

d9b

Banned
This is strange, dlc downloaded but it says waiting to install. I came out of the game, went back in and still nothing. Anyone else have this?

PS4 by the way
Is your game and DLC from the same region?
Example: if your game is US, European DLC usually don't work.

GAF a few questions :

I'm maybe more then an hour in.

Earning money, how does this work? I'm playing on hard (the one before bloodmarch). I had to buy alot of food and also died and lost coin. NPCs don't seem to give much cash for stuff that you can sell.

Exp only comes from quests right?

Also my first minus.. Why oh why is the lock on cam so short...?! Have to be in the face to actually lock.

Buy food? Make a swallow potion asap, they are used to restore health and refill automatically upon meditation if you have enough alcohol.

Death by the Well was brilliant.
especially when you realise noonwraiths spawn at noon. Then figuring out how to deal dmg is by using the magic trap.

Ferrio

Banned
especially when you realise noonwraiths spawn at noon. Then figuring out how to deal dmg is by using the magic trap.

Like I said in my post on the previous page... the story telling there was awesome too once you figure out how it connects with the rest of the town. They did a good job of interweaving the narrative with the quests.

I think Death by the Well broke :\

No matter what I do, the quest log on the side says
Follow the claw marks, which I already did. Found the bracelet. Still says that

I suspect that if you help
the hunter in Precious Cargo
, then you might not have to.

But I do not know if that quest will have such a significance. Probably not.

I helped the Hunter in precious cargo. No dice.

You know; there is no herbalist on my map
because I got the buckwheat without talking to her first

I helped the Hunter in precious cargo. No dice.

You know; there is no herbalist on my map
because I got the buckwheat without talking to her first

She's not in town at the place that looks like an herbalist's house, she's off the right of the crossroad before you enter the marsh on the way to the Nilfgard encampment.

Any tips for levelling up faster? I seem to be stuck in Level 3 forever, i've been doing sidequests (next mainline quests recommends a level 5) but the game is really tight on dishing out XP.

I tried to do one of the many over-levelled missions and i'm now stuck at the end unable to kill a monster that's a level 7.

I'm enjoying the game but I really feel like i'm missing something (this is my first witcher game).

Is your game and DLC from the same region?
Example: if your game is US, European DLC usually don't work.
Actually, I think patch 1.02 aims to make the game and DLC cross-region compatible. That's what I saw in some release note screenshot. Not sure the patch is live though.

Yeah.
I spent the whole quest hurrying to make sure I did everything during daylight as I figured that wraith would spawn at night and I couldn't defeat it until I had lifted the curse. Turns out it never spawned on my ass when it could have spawned at noon.
Worst monster hunter ever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Anyone else not a fan of the talent system? Wish we had a normal talent tree rather than having to pick just a few perks.

I want to be able to parry bows and whatnot but why would I ever spend a slot on that when I can have something I'm always using?

Completely takes the fun out of leveling talents.

did you use a place of power? it gives a boost to the specified sign for x amount of time

Gotcha! Thanks haha.

Man, this game is something else for sure. I was scared when I saw the judder at the opening cinematic and immediately at the part after where Geralt wakes up. It seems to have calmed down though, which is good, so far at least.

I actually felt kinda sad when I was looking for some guy's brother amongst the battlefield. Seeing all those corpses, damaged banners littering the battlefield.. and then that immensely sad music that starts playing, so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom