• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF a few questions :

I'm maybe more then an hour in.

Earning money, how does this work? I'm playing on hard (the one before bloodmarch). I had to buy alot of food and also died and lost coin. NPCs don't seem to give much cash for stuff that you can sell.

Exp only comes from quests right?

Also my first minus.. Why oh why is the lock on cam so short...?! Have to be in the face to actually lock.

Don't buy food. Explore, there is a lot of free food as loot in there. Crates, houses, chests, etc, loot everything.

AllenShrz

What a game, yesterday I played some many hrs without even look at the watch on PC.

And today I got the chance to look for a bit the PS4 version....ouch.

General question for anyone who's far enough into the game to tell: how much is carried over from the 2nd game using an import save? Is it just the big decisions, or do you actually see significant amount of continuations of the smaller, subtler ones? (Like the blue stripes tattoo)

I'm asking because my PC is only able to handle the game minamally, to the point where I'm actively considering picking up the ps4 version for a better experience. If it's only the big decisions (that you can recreate without an import) then I might just jump for it.

Anyone else not a fan of the talent system? Wish we had a normal talent tree rather than having to pick just a few perks.

I want to be able to parry bows and whatnot but why would I ever spend a slot on that when I can have something I'm always using?

Completely takes the fun out of leveling talents.

Yeah I find this a bit weird - I think i've had around 9 ability points to spend so far, yet I can only have three perks active at once?

My main annoyance with the game is the save system though (PS4). Exploring, gathering countless items and revealing areas on the map... only to die and have to do it again because I forgot to manually save every two minutes.

What's with the gear that gives you +xp % from humans or +xp % from monsters. If you don't get xp from either to begin with, why does this stat exist. Is it a holdover from before they made the decision to only give XP from quests and the like?

grimmiq

How is everyone dealing with documents in this? I have atleast 30 different pages sitting in my bag and not sure which relate to which quests or whether I've already finished those quests.

23qwerty

What's with the gear that gives you +xp % from humans or +xp % from monsters. If you don't get xp from either to begin with, why does this stat exist. Is it a holdover from before they made the decision to only give XP from quests and the like?

You do get experience from killing things, note your experience before and after killing something.
I thought the same thing but I checked before and after killing a Drowner and had 5 more exp.

How is everyone dealing with documents in this? I have atleast 30 different pages sitting in my bag and not sure which relate to which quests or whether I've already finished those quests.

I believe that anything that relates to a quest goes in the quest item slot, and gets removed to the appropriate OTHER slot once you've completed the quest. They're all quite light so they don't weigh you down much, but I think if they aren't in your quest item slot you can dispose of them safely.

You do get experience from killing things, note your experience before and after killing something.
I thought the same thing but I checked before and after killing a Drowner and had 5 more exp.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks!

Dr Dogg

Sooo just so I don't end doing a Dragon Age Inquisition, are you folks clearing out White Orchard before moving on or is there stuff I should leave and come back to later? Cheers in advance.

I have more than enough trouble fighting the controls underwater.

Feels like this

c9Ups.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
General question for anyone who's far enough into the game to tell: how much is carried over from the 2nd game using an import save? Is it just the big decisions, or do you actually see significant amount of continuations of the smaller, subtler ones? (Like the blue stripes tattoo)

I'm asking because my PC is only able to handle the game minamally, to the point where I'm actively considering picking up the ps4 version for a better experience. If it's only the big decisions (that you can recreate without an import) then I might just jump for it.

I'm not all that far, but the significance varies. The series never billed itself as something like Mass Effect where save imports and story continuation were, for better or worse, a critical selling point. It's still largely its own story set some time after The Witcher 2 ends, enough to write out some of the decisions you've made.

For example (early game spoiler), I took the Iorveth path so Radovid and Henselt split Termeria, however by the start of Wild Hunt
Henselt has already gone to war and died on the frontline, making it irrelevant so far that he was alive. I have no idea if this context changes if you took the Roche path

There are returning characters though. I just finished a quest arc for a character from The Witcher 2. It was simple, but still really great to see them show up, and the context of encountering the character was surprising. I also wonder what implications my choices within that quest will have.

Sooo just so I don't end doing a Dragon Age Inquisition, are you folks clearing out White Orchard before moving on or is there stuff I should leave and come back to later? Cheers in advance.

I did, and there was a couple nice touches and worthwhile rewards, but it's certainly not necessary.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I'd say clear it out.

All the quests there are fun and interesting. There's also not THAT many where you're gonna end up wanting to hang yourself like in Inquisition.

She's not in town at the place that looks like an herbalist's house, she's off the right of the crossroad before you enter the marsh on the way to the Nilfgard encampment.

Crazy, I can't believe I finished this area without ever speaking to her. I think i might need to do one last ride around the map to make sure I've got everything.

For example (early game spoiler), I took the Iorveth path so Radovid and Henselt split Termeria, however by the start of Wild Hunt
Henselt has already gone to war and died on the frontline, making it irrelevant so far that he was alive. I have no idea if this context changes if you took the Roche path

Can confirm that Henselt died in battle on the front lines of a war against Radovid in my Roche import.

YoodlePro

Is your game and DLC from the same region?
Example: if your game is US, European DLC usually don't work.

Well.. I bought the game on the US Store and I'm playing on my UK account. Don't tell me I can't download the dlcs unless play on that account...

dakun

i have a question:

Kotaku wrote this in their "tips for playing article"

Keep Your Witcher Gear Around

Speaking of that, even if you find a better piece of equipment than the custom Witcher gear you’re carrying, don’t get rid of the Witcher stuff. You’ll need that gear as a component for the higher-level upgraded versions you can craft down the road.

is this true?? did i screw myself out of awesome gear if i sold my witcher sword for example?
i usually kept my best gear around and quickly replaced it if i find something better. (Usually just sell my old or useless gear)

grimmiq

I believe that anything that relates to a quest goes in the quest item slot, and gets removed to the appropriate OTHER slot once you've completed the quest. They're all quite light so they don't weigh you down much, but I think if they aren't in your quest item slot you can dispose of them safely.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks!

I know a lot of them are from the bounty boards, if I drop the document will I have to go back to that board to pick it up again, or will it stay in my quest log?

i have a question:

Kotaku wrote this in their "tips for playing article"

Keep Your Witcher Gear Around

Speaking of that, even if you find a better piece of equipment than the custom Witcher gear you’re carrying, don’t get rid of the Witcher stuff. You’ll need that gear as a component for the higher-level upgraded versions you can craft down the road.

is this true?? did i screw myself out of awesome gear if i sold my witcher sword for example?
i usually kept my best gear around and quickly replaced it if i find something better. (Usually just sell my old or useless gear)

The chest armor you start with is a component for a better piece of chest armor that you also start with the plan of. I found a set of (boring set name spoiler)
Superb Ursine Armor
that requires
Enhanced Ursine Armor
in order to make. Hold onto anything green, you may need it later.

wtf, TW3 freezes very frequently for me. it started freezing in the tub scene, it got frozen for 10 secs while the sound still worked, then the animation speeded up (fast forwarding) until it reached the right time for the sound/music, and after 10 secs it freezes again. this happens during the tub scene and right after that when controlling Geralt.

my rig is: i2500k, 8GB, 970, W8.1.. so I don't think it's a matter of hardware. I also installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, so I don't know where this issue comes from

Bl@de

Played a lot on my TV with a gamepad ... switched to KB+M and Desk in the evening. So much better. Controls are better (thanks to the Mouse and therefore fast camera controls) and finally I can read aaaaaaaall the text^^

Any easy location to find Drowner Brains? Doing it for the Swallow potion quest

There's a guarded treasure chest on the beach near where you started the game, southeast of the Ford, by the Ransacked Village. Drowners there.

I know a lot of them are from the bounty boards, if I drop the document will I have to go back to that board to pick it up again, or will it stay in my quest log?

If you have the quest I doubt you still need the note that started it. I think - I THINK - that any quest essential items will be in the quest item tab. I don't want to make guarantees though because this is all just what I've discerned in my play.

Tried, failed. Oh well, I didn't need that treasure...much...

Oh, the one
north of the nilfgard camp
? You can do it. I believe in you. Swim right to it then swim right away. You got this, man.

danowat

Banned
Two questions.

1) I've equipped my torch, it shows in the slot on the hud below my food/potions, how do I use it? Tried every control.

2) say I want to craft a potion that requires a certain plant, how do I find said plant?, surely there must be some other way than just randomly picking every plant till you find the right one?

Guerrilla

Only 4 hours in yet, and god I'm already hooked! So happy this turned out the way it did. And I think the complaints about the controls are a little overblown by some. It feels pretty good to play actually imo (xbo). The combat is great fun. But what really drives this home are the quests. I love how you can already see that there will be implications to your actions later down the line and how all the stories are interwoven.

Can't wait to get home from work again and finally continue my journey :)

Frillen

Two questions.

1) I've equipped my torch, it shows in the slot on the hud below my food/potions, how do I use it? Tried every control.

2) say I want to craft a potion that requires a certain plant, how do I find said plant?, surely there must be some other way than just randomly picking every plant till you find the right one?

1) Shouldn't it be R1?

2) Find a herbalist :)

This is really nitpicky, but has anyone else noticed the super brief "hitch" after every couple steps your horse takes?

It's fine when galloping, but when walking there's a noticeable hitch or stutter just before the horse takes another two steps. It's as if the walking animation hasn't been looped quite perfectly.

As someone who's very sensitive to small details, this really irks me. Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed it!

I really don't find the combat bad at all, I like that you have a large amount of defensive options and you have to be strategic about what you use for which enemies. Feels a hell of a lot better than anything in W2 anyways.

Two questions.

Select it on the radial menu and then use it like you would a grenade or your crossbow.

I really don't find the combat bad at all, I like that you have a large amount of defensive options and you have to be strategic about what you use for which enemies. Feels a hell of a lot better than anything in W2 anyways.

I agree, By the time I was done with Witcher 2 the combat felt amazingly shallow and easy to break. The enemies in this are at turns extremely aggressive and evasive, they're much more satisfying to fight in that regard.

faer0n

Two questions.

you choose it in the quick menu and use it like the crossbow or bombs

too late

YoodlePro

Two questions.

Wait there's a quest for the swallow potion? I just crafted it by getting the components. Did I just screw myself out of the west?

Loginius

I stated to get that unpleasant Assassins Creed / DA:I feeling near the end of the starting zone grinding all those question marks on my map.
Once I arrived in the next zone I disabled them and a lot of other hand holding and the game is awesome again.
Such a horrible idea, why do 100h+ rpgs need to point out every stone on the road these days? It ruins the experience.

Anyway, combat is just awesome, balance is great as well. Playing on "hard", I remember the quest where I got some baked apples and it was literally the frist time I was happy in a singleplayer rpg that the quest reward was food.
Fighting the monsters is great as well, preparing and the correct use of all the tools is key which is what it should be all about.

Stumbled in a cave with a lvl 33 quest in the second zone (thank god for disabling those question marks, I was lvl 5) and it took me a while to realize that I should not be here.
Used a cat-potion because it was so dark you could not see 5m and got in a fight with 10 ant-monsters and a queen or something killed 3 of them and ran as soon as I had used all my swallows.

Its stuff like this that makes a great rpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom