• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stated to get that unpleasant Assassins Creed / DA:I feeling near the end of the starting zone grinding all those question marks on my map.
Once I arrived in the next zone I disabled them and a lot of other hand holding and the game is awesome again.
Such a horrible idea, why do 100h+ rpgs need to point out every stone on the road these days? It ruins the experience..

Because most RPG's in the olden days weren't open world, every square inch was reasonably planned out and well used. These days to give the impression of a real space, there's a reasonable amount of boring, trackless land amidst all the concealed goodies. I can certainly see the appeal of discovering the wonders of the world naturally, though.

This is my first ever Witcher game (playing on PS4), and man does it feel unpolished in some important areas. Kind of disappointed early on, but I'll keep with it.

Mokoi

Banned
Yeah I should really check the level requirements on quests. Ending up taking a quest, and realized I was fucked once the fight started. Seems that many people ended up in similar scenarios.
Yes, that's what mine does, but what did you press to actually use it?
R1 or RT or Scroll wheel click.

Because most RPG's in the olden days weren't open world, every square inch was reasonably planned out and well used. These days to give the impression of a real space, there's a reasonable amount of boring, trackless land amidst all the concealed goodies. I can certainly see the appeal of discovering the wonders of the world naturally, though.

That's a good point. Although for areas like White Orchid in the Witcher or I suppose the Jaws of Hakkon dlc with Dragon Age, the open world is small enough, and the quest density is strong enough that it correlates well with the geography that you can get that old school experience.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just how big is this damn game, too many '?' on the map, good lord. Finished my Viper blades and am running around finally back on main quest as level 7 after being level 4 in 9-10 zones. Still cheesing my way to single pulling level 14 enemies and getting insta stun kills. I'm not sure what needs to be met to have them happen, anyone know? If I Axii a bandit off a horse I always one hit them, sometimes I'll get it on Axii people on the ground.

Also the Axii/Yrden build I decided to go is working pretty well on Death March so I'm pretty happy with it and not showing boss HP.

Overall having a great time after working to minimize how often the game crashes.
Doesn't work for me :-/
Select it just like xbow or a sign, then middle mouse (same use as crossbow)
Make sure it's equipped?

Also just found out you can't hard attack with a torch out.
I tried a level 24 quest at level 7. My hits did 90 damage, the enemy did 2000+ per hit. Yeah, I guess this isn't going to work.
Haha, what? A lot of level 10-14 enemies hit me for 2000+ per hit on Death March, just don't get hit! Chewing through the HP is the biggest problem, but easy if you swap builds around and are solo fighting using others to lease back.

Phionoxx

What is up with picking up high level quests / Witcher contracts off notice boards way early in the game? I am level 4 (just left White Orchard) and picked up a contract with a recommended level in the mid 30s. Just supposed to come back way later in the game?

Seems a bit strange seeing as some of the other side quests seem to fail if you advance too far in the story without resolving them.

Mendax

Yes, that's what mine does, but what did you press to actually use it?

yo hasnt that been said 5 times on this page alone lol.

equip torch from inventory menu. during gameplay hold l1 to open radial menu, move stick to torch, press x to equip.

press r1 to pull out torch and light it, press again to douse it and put it away.

Certain items that say ' used in alchemy' means that they're an ingredient and can't be used in their on?

they can be used in alchemy yes but I dont think that excludes them from having another use.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
1-2 hours in on 2nd hardest difficulty and loving it so far. Only done a couple of quests, Missing in Action and Twisted Firestarter
they sure made it pretty clear that there are consequences to your actions...

No problem reading the subtitles. Text seems fine size wise. On 50'' Pioneer Plasma on PS4.

aro52

Question related to Bloody Baron and loot...

When you are searching his wife and daughter's rooms, can you loot all their stuff with no consequences? Or will the Bloody Baron find out?

RedAssedApe

Banned
beginning of the game has been slow going. control feels kind of janky. i guess im not used to the momentum...cuz i keep feel like im overshooting things

Exentryk

Finally got my game (PC version)! Installing the discs now!

The physical Map is really well done, and I can't wait to start exploring! :D

danowat

Banned
yo hasnt that been said 5 times on this page alone lol.

equip torch from inventory menu. during gameplay hold l1 to open radial menu, move stick to torch, press x to equip.

press r1 to pull out torch and light it, press again to douse it and put it away..

I know, but it doesn't work, I'll have to double check later.

Daffy Duck

Loving this game, the world is so full of little things to do I may never make it up to speak to the Nilfgaard guy I got told to speak to in the Inn.

valkyre

Console users, is there a way to hotkey more than one Sign?

It is really frustrating having to pause just to make a sign combo...

Am I doing it wrong?

Also, I talked about this yesterday, I am playing on PS4 on death march and I seriously cant get the health bar and stuff on the top left corner to be contextual based on whether I am in battle or not. The health bar stays there all the time... :/

Frillen

What is up with picking up high level quests / Witcher contracts off notice boards way early in the game? I am level 4 (just left White Orchard) and picked up a contract with a recommended level in the mid 30s. Just supposed to come back way later in the game?

Seems a bit strange seeing as some of the other side quests seem to fail if you advance too far in the story without resolving them.

Yeah, you're supposed to come back.

Nyx

Gwent is erm....

Won the first round 9-7, drawed the 2nd and 3rd round (0-0), then I got a message my opponent won the game? WTF? :D

Don't like the walking and running transition. I can understand now every stream I watched before getting the game was all over show just trying walk around.

You briefly walk and then transition into Usain Bolt

The other niggle is the damn controller change pop-up on PC. Please if the devs are reading can we have an option to turn it off, I've seen it 1789 times already.

You can't even press for a screen grab without it showing and other games allow you to use both without telling you about it everytime.

Iceternal

Is it just me or are the ragdolls ridiculous in this game ?

When I kill a drowners, he likes jumps up and falls straight as an arrow ... looks laughable !

Lingitiz

Man... the disparity in what would be considered a fetch quest in this game versus something like DAI is astounding. Every quest always informs your understanding of the world, or tells a nice little mini story about the area, a faction, or the people, even if the task seems super simple. Contrast that with DAI quests that literally have no story attached to them and all you do is check a box and that's that.

Geralt's relationship with Triss is handled really well in this game. It's written in a way where the awkwardness comes off as genuine and rewarding for people who've played the last two games. Overall the writing has been quite good, if perhaps a bit dense in spots. There are many references to past games and I can imagine a lot of people getting lost or not getting the full value of some callbacks and character relationships. It helps that the codex is totally awesome and actually updates based on what actions you take.

I've been playing a ton since the launch and I can't stop. Despite the occasional crash here and there (on PC) I absolutely love it. It seems immensely huge but not in the type of way where I feel overwhelmed and want to rush through the critical path. It's huge, but feels personal and handcrafted..if that makes any sense.

aro52

looot without worry

jack-gif.gif

I'm not diggin the new combat system, maybe it's a case of Witcher 2 where it needs time to seethe in, but damn, it feels like I don't got enough moves to handle normal situations

Hammer24

Banned
Halp guys!

Can someone PLEASE pinpoint the exact location where the raven skull is? You know, the one from Yennifer right at the start of White Orchard.

Vorheez

This is really nitpicky, but has anyone else noticed the super brief "hitch" after every couple steps your horse takes?

It's fine when galloping, but when walking there's a noticeable hitch or stutter just before the horse takes another two steps. It's as if the walking animation hasn't been looped quite perfectly.

As someone who's very sensitive to small details, this really irks me. Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed it!
YES! This has been driving me absolutely mad because I want to explore the landscape while riding my horse, but the stutter is too aggravating. I prefer to just walk around because of it.

I got my hopes up, but apparently that locks all the messages/UI stuff to gamepad controls instead of KB/M controls. I wish there were a way to lock it to KB/M instead. It's funny because I get the keyboard/mouse control scheme changed message every time and I don't even have a gamepad plugged in.
Did you try setting it to 1 instead of 2? Idk if that will actually work as I havent tried it, but if 0 means both, and 2 means controller only, then...just maybe 1 means keyboard only?

Daffy Duck

Console users, is there a way to hotkey more than one Sign?

It is really frustrating having to pause just to make a sign combo...

Am I doing it wrong?

Also, I talked about this yesterday, I am playing on PS4 on death march and I seriously cant get the health bar and stuff on the top left corner to be contextual based on whether I am in battle or not. The health bar stays there all the time... :/

Nope, that's how it is.

Risev1

To those who've made it very far in Novigrad, here's a spoilery question that anyone else would probably want to avoid:

So you eventually get the side-quest to help Triss and the rest of the mages escape Novigrad. At the end, you get to choose to bid Triss farewell, or try and ask her to stay. Anyone know how significant this choice is, and how it will eventually affect the story?

Hammer24

Banned

The health bar goes away, when its at 100%.

I'm not diggin the new combat system, maybe it's a case of Witcher 2 where it needs time to seethe in, but damn, it feels like I don't got enough moves to handle normal situations

You have dodging, rolling, parrying and Quen to defend yourself, you just need to experiment to see what works best in any given situation.

Plus, if you're struggling with a certain enemy, you should check to see what it's weak to in the bestiary. There's some genuinely helpful stuff in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom