• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all the complaints about the combat and controls.

Combat just requires you to bide your time, a mixture of attack and defence. You're given a wide range of tactical tools - dodge, roll and parry, swords, bombs, signs and traps. Unless people are just charging in to every fight blindly, I can't see the issue.

Also, if you didn't play Witcher 2, combat starts out pretty challenging, but you eventually become a serious badass, where even multiple enemies aren't a big problem.

As for the controls, I like that it has some weight to it. I like it in games like GTA, and I like it here. I wouldn't want Geralt whizzing around like he was on skares in some pure action game.

Vidpixel

How this game's default H.U.D. could've been improved: have the life & stamina bars circling around the mini map, then pretty much eliminate everything else. Seriously, I know you can edit it and all (thankfully), but I feel like half the information they have cluttering the screen isn't necessary at all.

I'm loving the game otherwise, though!

Ushay

Death by the Well was brilliant.
especially when you realise noonwraiths spawn at noon. Then figuring out how to deal dmg is by using the magic trap.

That was great, the game design is clever and well thought out. None of this hand walking nonsense. Each monster has a distinct strategy to beat, and personally speaking, on Death March difficulty you can't button mash like a scrub you'll need to analyse monster tactics (example Drowners are vulnerable to quick attacks due to their agility) and in some cases extra research and prep.

So far this my GOTY by a country mile.

Sorry Batman AK !

Exentryk

Hey guys! I'm trying to change graphic presets before starting up the game, but it won't let me change any of the details like resolution, etc. Do I have to have Nvidia Geforce app running?

EDIT - Nvm. Had to switch to mouse controls to change things rather than gamepad.

nOoblet16

I don't get all the complaints about the combat and controls.

Combat just requires you to bide your time, a mixture of attack and defence. You're given a wide range of tactical tools - dodge, roll and parry, swords, bombs, signs and traps. Unless people are just charging in to every fight blindly, I can't see the issue.

Also, if you didn't play Witcher 2, combat starts out pretty challenging, but you eventually become a serious badass, where even multiple enemies aren't a big problem.

As for the controls, I like that it has some weight to it. I like it in games like GTA, and I like it here. I wouldn't want Geralt whizzing around like he was on skares in some pure action game.
I believe the complaints for controls are the exact opposite of what you are claiming it to be. It does not feel weighty at all despite Geralt feeling heavy, the animations and control make it feel like Geralt is not actually physically present on that terrain.

The (returning NPC side quest spoilers)
first Letho sidequest was pretty good. I decided to keep siding with Letho throughout, even though I still don't agree with him on most things (mostly because I wanted to see how things played out).

Turns out all the shit he did in TW2 was for nothing, since the Emperor naturally betrayed him and there's no way he's getting the School of the Viper back now. I always figured that's what would happen. Really surprising Letho didn't see it coming.

The quest was well done and fun, though (as well as a cool surprise), and I always found Letho and interesting character. Looking forward to meeting up with him later at Kaer Morhen.

Mendrox

Post for some interest:

Keira Meitz questline:

So how did everything work out for everyone? With my first choice I had to kill her, but after that I reloaded (felt dirty killing her after fucking her, also she is cute) I was able to get to Kaer Morhen

Sometimes I feel that you recruit people in this game for something. D: Feels like Mass Effect lol

The
first Letho sidequest was pretty good. I decided to keep siding with Letho throughout, even though I still don't agree with him on most things (mostly because I wanted to see how things played out).

Turns out all the shit he did in TW2 was for nothing, since the Emperor naturally betrayed him and there's no way he's getting the School of the Viper back now. I always figured that's what would happen. Really surprising Letho didn't see it coming.

The quest was well done and fun, though (as well as a cool surprise), and I always found Letho and interesting character. Looking forward to meeting up with him later at Kaer Morhen.

Yeah was a nice quest! I also
Recruited him for Kaer Morhen like Keira Meitz! There got to be a battle later...

I believe the complaints for controls are the exact opposite of what you are claiming it to be. It does not feel weighty at all despite Geralt feeling heavy, the animations and control make it feel like Geralt is not actually physically present on that terrain.

Maybe this is a console or controller issue, I don't know. Doesn't feel that way on PC with M+K.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but the cheapest i can find this game is £30 from gog. do i need to install their client to play it? i just really don't want to have to download yet another client (battlenet, origin, steam). i was hoping to just download the game and launch it from steam.

thanks

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Came across a ghouls nest, killed 3 and destroyed their next. This last ghoul, however, is a huge pain in the ass. I keep almost killing it then he turns bright red and starts healing for 100 HP per second.

Anyone else come across one of these guys? No idea how I can kill it.

Everyones Gwent decks are stacked as fuck now. I gotta go back to the drawing board.

Anyone get any hero cards yet? This dude spanked me with my waifu Jennefer. I should have slapped him.

boskee

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but the cheapest i can find this game is £30 from gog. do i need to install their client to play it? i just really don't want to have to download yet another client (battlenet, origin, steam). i was hoping to just download the game and launch it from steam.

thanks

No, you can download an installer from their site.

Should I do all quests and '?' available before attempting the griffin?

And if I fight the griffin first can I come back to them? Reason I ask is some people have they expire.

Liamc723

Must be just affecting some then, I've seen plenty of reports, and experienced it myself.

Hopefully it gets fixed for all soon because I enjoy playing it. It would have been cool if they had a component where you could play online against other players.

zkorejo

Everyones Gwent decks are stacked as fuck now. I gotta go back to the drawing board.

Anyone get any hero cards yet? This dude spanked me with my waifu Jennefer. I should have slapped him.

Yea same here. I can absolutely be dominated by some of the merchants now. I had been winning mostly all of the games until yesterday. I beat
Bloody Baron
, got his card but the Psychic guy with Mosnter Deck kills me in Gwent. He has some amazing cards... He went on to win our last game at = > Me 15 - 100+ Him.

antonz

Should I do all quests and '?' available before attempting the griffin?

And if I fight the griffin first can I come back to them? Reason I ask is some people have they expire.

there are places of power etc so it can be helpful to do them ahead of the fight as xtra ability points for damage or other buffs

Danneee

Oh, the one
north of the nilfgard camp
? You can do it. I believe in you. Swim right to it then swim right away. You got this, man.
Yep, that's the one. Succeeded in getting the loot but was killed shortly after. Now I've moved on to the next area and find myself cheesing most enemies with the crossbow... And that's on medium. I don't even want to think how much worse it is on harder difficulties.

Tactica

Neo Member
The Collector's Edition Statue thing gets more interesting. I contacted the company, UDock EU who's logo is beneath the statue on Facebook. They replied:
PKGrXMV.png

Sucks to be them. They did a marvelous job on sculpting the statue, just to have some other company completely ruin them. Just have a look at the hero sculpture without paint. So many details it makes me cry.
UDock sculpting:
WOWwPxj.jpg

The

This is absolutely the wrong way to do spoilers. Need some sort of information about what is inside the tags.

antonz

The thing about the Statue is it just seems to be a case of some employees shitting around. Have seen a number of very well done Statues and then you get the extremely shit ones

Stoze

Phew, just got done playing for like 7 hours, still in White Orchard.

I'm loving it. Technical complaints are way overblown for PS4 imo. There is some stuttering in a few cut-scenes, but that's about it. Almost everything else feels too minor for me to bring up, and is generally something that was a problem I got used to in the Witcher 2 (i.e, stopping to loot). The game is gorgeous and looks smoother than any other open world game on consoles that I can think of, except maybe something like Just Cause 2 or the GTA remasters on PS4/Xbone (I assume, only played it on 360). The loading times are much better than I thought they would be, the menus are better designed than W2, and saving is exceptionally quick. Good stuff. Every side quest has been interesting and rewarding so far. One cool thing I ended up doing was exploring underwater and finding a secret cave. It seemed like nothing was in it, but I found an item at the bottom of the water that turned out to be part of the quest I was doing. The game factored in for this correctly later on, and it didn't break the quest and saved me time. I really like stuff like that. The writing, voice acting, and facial animation is probably best I've seen in an RPG, period.

As I mentioned before, almost all the problems brought up were ones I encountered in the Witcher 2, and felt minor to me that it wasn't worth bringing up...what is worth bringing up and absolutely needs to be fixed as soon as possible is the text size. Any other problems pale in comparison to this, it really is that bad on a TV. Even more laughable is scaling the hud down to "small", which makes the text maybe the smallest I've ever seen on a HUD on a console game, no joke. Please make this a priority CDPR.

The movement when not in combat feels like a more refined version of Rockstar games' movement, which works for me personally, but I did prefer the turn on the dime style of the previous games even though it didn't look organic. Combat is great so far, but if you're comparing it to the Souls games for some reason, then you're going to be dissapointed, just like if you compared almost any other action rpg to the Souls games.

Overall I'm having a blast, can't wait to play more tommorow. Oh yeah, Gwent is awesome. I thought it wouldn't be fun because of its simplicity, but it's pretty damn fun, especially when you try to win the first two rounds. Hopefully the AI can keep up with me as the game progresses.

squidyj

tips for gwent, play the north, drop all your weather cards. you want cards that give you effects, medic is very strong (lets you pick a card from graveyard) and so is stennis (thaler would be better but dont have him).

go all in on winning round 1, thisll put you a card ahead of your opponent because you get to draw for winning, lose round 2 on purpose draining off any weak cards you have to bait out his stronger ones, finish by playing a spy (stennis, thaler, etc) to draw even more cards. Then overwhelm your opponent with all the additional cards you've drawn.

anything that lets you draw or play additional cards is ideal here. medics can be played in round three for huge value, spies in round 2, big beefy minions in round 1.

try not to bunch up your power in a row. if you're going to make a row stronger than the others try to make it one your opponent is also invested in. minimizing losses from weather cards.

Yea same here. I can absolutely be dominated by some of the merchants now. I had been winning mostly all of the games until yesterday. I beat
Bloody Baron
, got his card but the Psychic guy with Mosnter Deck kills me in Gwent. He has some amazing cards... He went on to win our last game at = > Me 15 - 100+ Him.

Yeah that fight was tough but doable. I went to Oxenfurt and played Stjepan since I was there anyway. Dudes deck is fucking ridiculous. The opponents always seem to get those cards that buff each other in the same hand getting 30 on one row its nuts.

Nyx

Technical complaints are way overblown for PS4 imo.

For sure.

After checking this thread a few times yesterday afternoon before I played the game myself I was scared that it would be a technical disaster…
But not at all, even the much mentioned camera juddering is almost non-existant or I am just not sensitive to it.

Can’t wait to be home again so I can play!

zkorejo

Yeah that fight was tough but doable. I went to Oxenfurt and played Stjepan since I was there anyway. Dudes deck is fucking ridiculous. The opponents always seem to get those cards that buff each other in the same hand getting 30 on one row its nuts.

Yea.. I havent been to Oxenfurt or Novigrad yet (saving it for now).

I will be collecting/buying Gwent cards at any chance I get now. Need atleast one of the decks to be good enough. The highest number card I have is a Siege 8.

mugwhump

Hmm got my fourth freeze, again while reading a book. Anyone else? Playing on PC.

Combat is ok, the awesome thing about the game is really the exploration.

usp84

So there is bug is the quest "Temerian Valuables" where the quest cannot be completed even though you have the key to unlock the chest.

So make sure to save before this (quick and small) quest so if you cannot complete you can reaload the game.

Thank fully i had an autosave just before this bug happened

There should be some monsters around to kill? They can go out of their area pretty far on their own sometimes it seems. Otherwise I would just leave and come back later.

Weren't there for me when I arrived, popped up suddenly after I walked a few feet away. Might try going away and coming back, or meditating.

Glass

It's annoying to see how much the game has jumped up in price now its released. The past year when it comes to triple A titles has taught us to wait and see, but with the PC version currently going for £49, it's a bit of a pickle.

Sucks to be them. They did a marvelous job on sculpting the statue, just to have some other company completely ruin them. Just have a look at the hero sculpture without paint. So many details it makes me cry.
UDock sculpting:
WOWwPxj.jpg

Damn that looks gorgeous.

grimmiq

I am really making some bad choices so far in this game..

So yeah..Annabelle went nuts and killed her former lover
, I guess that's what I get for trying to be good-guy Geralt.
Keira
is awesome and hope I get to go back to
Kaer Morhen
to see her again.

After playing it for 2 nights I have to say this is a great game. And I am one of those that was never really into either W1 or W2, both were hard to get into for me and bored me after a while.

I think simplifying the alchemy system really helped, whereas before I never really bothered because locating all those ingredients every time I wanted to use a potion got tedious very quickly, whereas the new system you get them replenished so experimenting with different potions and oils and bombs in combat becomes fun.

The quests are also excellent, the main quest is very long, about 12 hours into the game and I'm still level 5. It also helps that the story is a lot less convoluted and you didn't need to know or care about the geopolitical situation of the world, it's very personal, Geralt is looking for his daughter and that's a good enough motivation.

I honestly am surprised how much I am loving this game.

Stoze

A couple questions;

Can oils and bombs be refilled like potions can with alcohol?

Can creatures be counter attacked? Honestly I either keep fucking it up or I've done it before and just thought I blocked them

RawNuts

If I didn't care much for The Witcher 2, is it possible that I might find something to like in 3, or are they too similar? I'm on the fence about purchasing this game, but 2 didn't hold my interest for very long; I'm curious if anyone went into 3 with my same kind of mindset and what their impressions are.

After playing it for 2 nights I have to say this is a great game. And I am one of those that was never really into either W1 or W2, both were hard to get into for me and bored me after a while.
Well shit, just a couple of posts up from mine, nice.

I didn't like TW2, I tried and tried, but for some reason found it inaccessable.

I like TW3, probably get shot down for this, but it feels like a fantasy RDR to me, which is a good thing......
Thanks for this! I'm going for it. :D

A couple questions;

Can oils and bombs be refilled like potions can with alcohol?

Can creatures be counter attacked? Honestly I either keep fucking it up or I've done it before and just thought I blocked them

As long as you have the right ingredients, they will.
Yes, at least for smaller one like drowners.

danowat

Banned
If I didn't care much for The Witcher 2, is it possible that I might find something to like in 3, or are they too similar? I'm on the fence about purchasing this game, but 2 didn't hold my interest for very long; I'm curious if anyone went into 3 with my same kind of mindset and what their impressions are.

I didn't like TW2, I tried and tried, but for some reason found it inaccessable.

I like TW3, probably get shot down for this, but it feels like a fantasy RDR to me, which is a good thing......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom