• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

I don't know how good this game looks (I only left the house to see the yard), but I'm currently playing the second game and it looks freaking incredible!

Hope that I won't get too tired by the end and will play this game after I finish the second, never really had the chance to play such a big title when its released along with everyone

My only real compliant so far (outside of the small text) is that I wish they offered a tutorial of some sorts for the crafting system.

As someone who has never really played RPG games before..it is overwhelming.

I feel like I'm missing out on a large part of the game by almost ignoring it.

Jobbs

Banned
I preordered on Green Man Gaming just under the assumption (flawed assumption) that what I was buying was a Steam key -- This assumption was set up in part by the fact that every time I've purchased from GMG in the past (I'm not a frequent customer, just whenever a great deal pops up, like with W3) I've gotten a Steam key.

I realized I wasn't getting a Steam key, only a "GOG" key, which is something I'll never use. I won't play a PC game that's not on Steam. I contacted customer support and they're refusing to give me a refund after I explained how I didn't get back anything I expected or will ever use. Basically I pissed away $42 for nothing. I won't buy it a second time on PC. Maybe I'll borrow it on PS4 later.

Fuck them (and me for being dumb, of course). If anyone wants the GOG key, quote. First come first serve.

My only real compliant so far (outside of the small text) is that I wish they offered a tutorial of some sorts for the crafting system.

As someone who has never really played RPG games before..it is overwhelming.

I feel like I'm missing out on a large part of the game by almost ignoring it.

Crafting desperately needs a "only show me what I can make" filter.

Fuz

Banned
I am quite disappointed.
Very limited keybinding, bad m+k controls, xbox exclusives, no fov sliders, graphical downgrade to accomodate consoles. We basically got a bad console port.
Wasn't expecting this crap from cdpr. We lost them too. Shame.

I didn't like TW2, I tried and tried, but for some reason found it inaccessable.

I like TW3, probably get shot down for this, but it feels like a fantasy RDR to me, which is a good thing......

Yes, it's very RDRish, with a little bit of Arkham thrown in. The combat is all about rhythm.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS4 version has been great for me so far. Zero crashes, good performance except in cutscenes and the annoying camera stutter. Hope they can fix that.

However, is it true that suspending and resuming on PS4 breaks the playtime counter? The game counts suspended time as playtime? Man, I was afraid this was gonna happen. Bloodborne (the first game I used suspend/resume for) handled it correctly, by only counting actual playtime, but this doesn't? That's a huge bummer. I like knowing how long I've spent in massive games like this, but now I guess it's already gonna be like 18 hours off by the time I get home and fire it up again. Not cool. And unfixable I guess, unless I want to start the game over and make sure never to suspend it. Such a dumb and disappointing mistake by CDPR.

How is Gwent on PS4 ? Heard it crashes very often so I haven't touched it because of that, is it true ?

No issues at all here, for what it's worth. Granted, I've only played the first (tutorial) game, but I could pass just fine.

splidzy

Neo Member
I preordered on Green Man Gaming just under the assumption (flawed assumption) that what I was buying was a Steam key -- This assumption was set up in part by the fact that every time I've purchased from GMG in the past (I'm not a frequent customer, just whenever a great deal pops up, like with W3) I've gotten a Steam key.

I realized I wasn't getting a Steam key, only a "GOG" key, which is something I'll never use. I won't play a PC game that's not on Steam. I contacted customer support and they're refusing to give me a refund after I explained how I didn't get back anything I expected or will ever use. Basically I pissed away $42 for nothing. I won't buy it a second time on PC. Maybe I'll borrow it on PS4 later.

Fuck them (and me for being dumb, of course). If anyone wants the GOG key, quote. First come first serve.

I cannot buy the game myself at the moment so it would be a great opportunity for me :)

Karl Hawk

Banned

Got it. Thanks, m8. ;)

Stoze

How is Gwent on PS4 ? Heard it crashes very often so I haven't touched it because of that, is it true ?

I did have one crash when I went to Pass on my first Gwent game. It could be nothing, but it crashed when I tapped triangle instead of holding it down like you're supposed to. When I reloaded and held it down to Pass in the same game, it worked. Hasn't crashed since.

murgo

I love this game, but the difficulty on Hard coupled with the god-awful loading times on PS4 make it really frustrating as well. I don't want to drop the difficulty though :(

So there is bug is the quest "Temerian Valuables" where the quest cannot be completed even though you have the key to unlock the chest.

So make sure to save before this (quick and small) quest so if you cannot complete you can reaload the game.

Thank fully i had an autosave just before this bug happened

That's not a bug, there's a part to this quest after you unlock the chest in the water.

Stoze

As long as you have the right ingredients, they will.
Yes, at least for smaller one like drowners.

Wait... so no? If you have to use multiple ingredients then you're just basically just re-crafting them. Can you meditate and refill automatically them with a single alcohol item is what I'm asking.

And thanks, good to know. Will try to git gud against monsters

Soriku

Drowners are completely destroying me every time I come across them.

I killed a few. Try to fight them one at a time, and use Quen to tank one attack before reapplying it. Just get two swipes in and back off. Counter attacking them isn't too difficult so try that too.

usp84

That's not a bug, there's a part to this quest after you unlock the chest in the water.

What do you mean?I unlocked the chest in the water a long time before I got to the hut and after I got the bug I reloaded the game and I completed the quest without problem the next time.

You have dodging, rolling, parrying and Quen to defend yourself, you just need to experiment to see what works best in any given situation.

Plus, if you're struggling with a certain enemy, you should check to see what it's weak to in the bestiary. There's some genuinely helpful stuff in there.
I got that, it's just the attack moveset seems very counterintuitive. I'm also playing on whatever difficulty break bones is and only for a few hours, so it probably needs some time to get around it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can anyone confirm this? I guess I can myself as soon as I get home, but I want to know how annoyed I should be until then!

However, is it true that suspending and resuming on PS4 breaks the playtime counter? The game counts suspended time as playtime? Man, I was afraid this was gonna happen. Bloodborne (the first game I used suspend/resume for) handled it correctly, by only counting actual playtime, but this doesn't? That's a huge bummer. I like knowing how long I've spent in massive games like this, but now I guess it's already gonna be like 18 hours off by the time I get home and fire it up again. Not cool. And unfixable I guess, unless I want to start the game over and make sure never to suspend it. Such a dumb and disappointing mistake by CDPR.

I'm so low on coin had to sell a few things to buy an ingredient to make an item for a quest. I take it money is hard to come by in this game. That's enough for tonight, total play time is 7hrs 30mins.

First witcher game and I must say I can certainly see what all the fuss is about. It keeps on getter better and better. Love the world and characters and I've barely scratched the surface. Frame rate and loading times are fine, never had an issue with it on ps4.

Klyka

Banned
Drowners are completely destroying me every time I come across them.

As in every fight, always have Quen active. Also, try to fight them one on one. then just stand there blocking and as he lunges at you,you dodge (not roll) to the right and then hit him once or twice. Rinse and repeat.

I killed all the lvl 4 drowners next to the ransacked village right at the start of the game at lvl 1 on "blood and broken bones"

With all the items you obtain, do you find yourself pausing the game during combat to enable some potions? Is there no other slots besides the two they give you?

As in every fight, always have Quen active. Also, try to fight them one on one. then just stand there blocking and as he lunges at you,you dodge (not roll) to the right and then hit him once or twice. Rinse and repeat.

I killed all the lvl 4 drowners next to the ransacked village right at the start of the game at lvl 1 on "blood and broken bones"

It's incredible how much stronger you become as you level but indeed the thrill of defeating a much stronger monster when you're low level is one of the best things of all.

KorrZ

Can anyone confirm this? I guess I can myself as soon as I get home, but I want to know how annoyed I should be until then!

Yeah, I checked my playtime yesterday and it was at 1 day x hours. Considering I had only played for 3 hours it was definitely the suspend time that racked up my hour count.

Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Death March difficulty so I needed the cash, yo

Anyone know a way for me to get it back? Crafting or buying elsewhere?
Or do items sold to vendors persist, so I can just buy it back?

Vintage

Do i need to keep the books after reading them?

Probably only if you want to read them again.

I always drop all books/letters/diaries/etc after reading them or after the related quest so that they won't take up inventory space and to make finding new ones in inventory faster.

Stoze

Didn't they say they'd make quen less powerful? If I'm not mistaken, you can cast it before you enter combat (so no stamina loss) and there's no cool down or timer apparently. That makes it way, way more powerful, unless I'm missing something.

Yrden got fucked in this game. Piss poor AoE size and lasting time, and a laughable 20% slowdown when they enter. Igni seems way better as it has good AoE and kind of a knockback and stun along with it's base and burn damage. Makes Aard look worse.

Curious to see how these change with skillpoints, though I'm not sure how much I'll be putting in signs.

The world design and atmosphere are so good, on par with Rockstar's best efforts. I'm having fun by just walking and looking at the scenery. Everything in this game is top tier except the combat system. It's not bad, but coming from Bloodborne, Witcher 3's combat system pales in comparison.

Salaadin

Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Wondering this too. I just sold mine last night.

Nyx

The world design and atmosphere are so good, on par with Rockstar's best efforts. I'm having fun by just walking and looking at the scenery. Everything in this game is top tier except the combat system. It's not bad, but coming from Bloodborne, Witcher 3's combat system pales in comparison.

And Bloodborne's RPG elements pale in comparison to TW3.

Action-RPG vs RPG.

Not that much of a surprise?

KorrZ

Didn't they say they'd make quen less powerful? If I'm not mistaken, you can cast it before you enter combat (so no stamina loss) and there's no cool down or timer apparently. That makes it way, way more powerful, unless I'm missing something.

Yrden got fucked in this game. Piss poor AoE size and lasting time, and a laughable 20% slowdown when they enter. Igni seems way better as it has good AoE and kind of a knockback and stun along with it's base and burn damage. Makes Aard look worse.

Curious to see how these change with skillpoints, though I'm not sure how much I'll be putting in signs.

Quen seems to only last 1 hit maximum for me (Not upgraded at all) so I guess that's kind of inferior to TW2 where it took a couple? Igni definitely makes Aard seem redundant since it has the same hit radius, causes burning damage, and still does a knockback/stun. I've mainly been using Quen and Igni.

A lot of people seem to be complaining that the combat isn't as good as bloodborne, which is fair, it's really not but....aren't like 90% of games combat completely disappointing in comparison to Souls series?

HAL-x9000

Did the same, would like to know too! -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom