• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quen seems to only last 1 hit maximum for me (Not upgraded at all) so I guess that's kind of inferior to TW2 where it took a couple? Igni definitely makes Aard seem redundant since it has the same hit radius, causes burning damage, and still does a knockback/stun. I've mainly been using Quen and Igni.

Quen aaaallll the way, baby. Would like to see how it gets better as its upgraded (guessing it is just more hits though)

danowat

Banned
You meet *a* herbalist as part of the
griffon hunt
quest. You can buy from her. Don't know if that's the one you are talking about though

Interesting, as I remember,
that quest had two goals, speak to a hunter about bodies and / or the herbalist, as far as I can make out, you can only do one of these goals?, the herbalist one was crossed out after I'd found the Griffon nest

that quest had two goals, speak to a hunter about bodies and / or the herbalist, as far as I can make out, you can only do one of these goals?, the herbalist one was crossed out after I'd found the Griffon nest

hmmm I did the
hunter part
first too but i was able to see the herbalist after and do her bit

Is that the one where you have to make the
swallow
potion?

Yeh think so

Nyx

I did both, had to find that stinky plant underwater near the herbalist, then go to the hunter to find the spot where the griffon killed 5 people

I don't agree.

That's fine. :)

Jobbs

Banned
That's been there for a while, at least since I first looked which was a day before launch.

I ordered weeks before launch.

Okay, I accept blame, but I genuinely thought I was buying a Steam key. 100% of my GMG library have Steam keys attached. I thought for non Ubi, non-EA games this was the norm. I didn't even know what GOG was.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Got another 3 hours in last night. Every second was fantastic. Still haven't crashed.

I fought some drowners that were level 5, while I was 4, and they would hit me for apx. 30% of my health. Are they just really strong? Or is something wrong there? I killed them still, but it was jarring to see that much health come off that quickly.

Tukker

Came across my first bug I think =/. I did everything I could on the first map except for one abandoned site. It's the one east of the abandoned village, a shrine.

I went there at different times during the day and night. I even looked up a youtube video and went to the site at the exact same time as the guy in the video but no spawns sadly.

danowat

Banned
I did both, had to find that stinky plant underwater near the herbalist, then go to the hunter to find the spot where the griffon killed 5 people

Hmmm......the line in the quest log at the top RH side of the screen is red, and there is a cross in the (shield?) at the end, can't see a location marker for that part of it either, tried clicking the R3 to switch it, but it doesn't do it.

Arrow redirection seems crazy powerful on Deathmarch, where enemy damage is drastically larger than yours. Only occasionally useful, but I'm always glad I have it when the opportunity comes up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, I checked my playtime yesterday and it was at 1 day x hours. Considering I had only played for 3 hours it was definitely the suspend time that racked up my hour count.

Fuck that shit. Really disappointing. Now, to start over or not... I've "only" played for like 4 hours yet, so I guess it wouldn't be a massive disaster, but still. Maybe I shouldn't care about this number being correct, but I like knowing how long I've spent, especially if it's a game I'm gonna spend 100 hours on.

EDIT: I did pause the game before suspending. Does it still keep ticking, or did I save myself there? If it does count even paused time as playtime I can only conclude that they didn't think that shit through at all.

Nyx

Hmmm......the line in the quest log at the top RH side of the screen is red, and there is a cross in the (shield?) at the end, can't see a location marker for that part of it either, tried clicking the R3 to switch it, but it doesn't do it.

Maybe you already picked up that needed plant during your travels ? I think I've read that if you find something you need for a quest without being on the quest already, it still will count as a quest item when you DO pick up that quest. (and for the one from the herbalist, you need 1 item)
plant is called Buckthorne iirc

Quen seems to only last 1 hit maximum for me (Not upgraded at all) so I guess that's kind of inferior to TW2 where it took a couple? Igni definitely makes Aard seem redundant since it has the same hit radius, causes burning damage, and still does a knockback/stun. I've mainly been using Quen and Igni.

A lot of people seem to be complaining that the combat isn't as good as bloodborne, which is fair, it's really not but....aren't like 90% of games combat completely disappointing in comparison to Souls series?

Yes, but what is bothering me is everything in the Witcher 3 is top tier except the combat, and in my opinion the combat hasn't changed or improved much since The Witcher 2 .

Kosma

Banned
The world design and atmosphere are so good, on par with Rockstar's best efforts. I'm having fun by just walking and looking at the scenery. Everything in this game is top tier except the combat system. It's not bad, but coming from Bloodborne, Witcher 3's combat system pales in comparison.

Agree.

Ive only played Witcher 1 and so far this is a big improvement thank god.

That said Bloodborne is on another level completely. I hope that for their next game CDPR will take notes.

Mathieran

Banned
I am going to be very poor. I keep turning down my money from contracts either because I like the person or because I don't like them. Hopefully there will be some karmic reward heh

aku:jiki

I ordered weeks before launch.

Okay, I accept blame, but I genuinely thought I was buying a Steam key. 100% of my GMG library have Steam keys attached. I thought for non Ubi, non-EA games this was the norm. I didn't even know what GOG was.
I don't mean to pile on or make you feel stupid, but man, CDPR owns GOG. I'm all for consumer rights, all the way, but sometimes you do have to keep up with some news yourself and knowing that the dev/pub of a game you're buying actually owns a digital retail outlet is something you should be aware of as a customer, because of course they're going to push for that platform.

Yes, but what is bothering me is everything in the Witcher 3 is top tier except the combat, and in my opinion the combat hasn't changed or improved much since The Witcher 2 .
You should probably launch W2 and play it for 10 minutes. Almost everything about the combat is changed for the better (as far as I've seen, I only had time for about an hour so far).

Nyx

I really don't get the Bloodborne combat vs TW3 combat comparions...

Surely you will have to adapt if you just played BB, but aren't both games focussed on other things? BB (and the Souls series) are built around the combat, they are action-RPGs which TW3 isn't?

For me it's like saying the flight controls in Battlefield suck coming from a flight sim on PC.

But ofcourse everybody is entitled to their opinions. ;)

Stoze

Quen only lasts for 1 hit not upgraded in W2 as well. Yeah Quen and Igni are becoming go tos, though I really like Axii as well, it almost guarantees a kill on who ever you cast it on because of its lengthy stun time.

I've saved up 4 ability points and I'm not sure what to spend it on. All the first abilities of everything seem really weak, with the exception of the general skills which of course can't be mutated.

Yibby

Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

I sold the sword too :( and i don't know if i already sold any other starting gear. I already bought the sword back from the vendor ^^

danowat

Banned
Maybe you already picked up that needed plant during your travels ? I think I've read that if you find something you need for a quest without being on the quest already, it still will count as a quest item when you DO pick up that quest. (and for the one from the herbalist, you need 1 item)
plant is called Buckthorne iirc

Yup, picked one of those up, will the quest still track then? or is it broken?

Kosma

Banned
I really don't get the Bloodborne combat vs TW3 combat comparions...

Surely you will have to adapt if you just played BB, but aren't both games focussed on other things? BB (and the Souls series) are built around the combat, they are action-RPGs which TW3 isn't?

For me it's like saying the flight controls in Battlefield suck coming from a flight sim on PC.

But ofcourse everybody is entitled to their opinions. ;)

Would be nice to have both ;)

Vintage

Man, so far this combat is not clicking with me. I hope I get used to it, but it feels really bad IMO.

At first I really didn't like the whole movement and combat, but after 4 hours or so I got used to it and I'm pretty fine with it now. It's not great, but once you learn how Geralt moves and attacks the combat gets really tactical and quite deep.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't mean to pile on or make you feel stupid, but man, CDPR owns GOG. I'm all for consumer rights, all the way, but sometimes you do have to keep up with some news yourself and knowing that the dev/pub of a game you're buying actually owns a digital retail outlet is something you should be aware of as a customer, because of course they're going to push for that platform.

When a storefront sells keys to various platforms, it should be made more clear what platform you're buying for, and if somehow a customer messes up and buys something they didn't think they're buying (I 100% genuinely thought I was buying a Steam key, I never expected this "GOG" crap to show up -- again, 100% of my past purchases from GMG have delivered Steam keys) they should be willing to offer refunds or at least a refund in the form of credit. What I got was just slightly more polite than "fuck off". It was a defensive response, claiming it was "made clear it was not a Steam key and I should have known better", when I don't feel it was clear at all. "Buyer beware" shouldn't be the answer a store gives to its customers, anyway. If I accidently buy the wrong thing at any real store, such as Amazon, I can exchange/refund/whatever.

Just saw the Kotaku piece that suggested you keep your original witcher gear as this becomes some of the best upgrades you can get later on, and the diagrams require the originals as part of the materials. I already upgraded the chest item once, but I got a better sword (iron) early on and sold the witcher blade.

Death March difficulty so I needed the cash, yo

Anyone know a way for me to get it back? Crafting or buying elsewhere?
Or do items sold to vendors persist, so I can just buy it back?

Welp, I sold mine. I did keep the blade.
I think the original merchant you sold it to still has it.

Gwent is superb. I know you get 2 decks if you buy the XB CE, but have they mentioned anything about releasing it as a physical game?

I love to be able to play it with my mates!

danowat

Banned
I think the quest is now ''gone'' then, as you don't need it anymore since you have that plant already. :)

Gotcha, so I just won't be introduced to the herbalist anymore and I'll have to find her of my own accord!.

Thanks for the help

leng jai

When a storefront sells keys to various platforms, it should be made more clear what platform you're buying for, and if somehow a customer messes up and buys something they didn't think they're buying (I 100% genuinely thought I was buying a Steam key, I never expected this "GOG" crap to show up -- again, 100% of my past purchases from GMG have delivered Steam keys) they should be willing to offer refunds or at least a refund in the form of credit. What I got was just slightly more polite than "fuck off". It was a defensive response, claiming it was "made clear it was not a Steam key and I should have known better", when I don't feel it was clear at all. "Buyer beware" shouldn't be the answer a store gives to its customers, anyway. If I accidently buy the wrong thing at any real store, such as Amazon, I can exchange/refund/whatever.

From what I remember GMG always states which service you'll have to redeem the game from as soon as they put it up for pre-order. I'm surprised they refused to give you a refund though, they were giving refunds to everyone yesterday. I guess it's because they already sent you the key.

Stoze

Meditate. If you have alcohol everything crafted with alchemy will be restored to max stack. For 1 alcohol.

Was browsing older pages and caught this. That is completely awesome, much better system than the old game.

Crafting is nuts in this game, you can keep drilling items down until they are literally dust. Gets pretty damn pricey though, especially with repairs.

Kiraly

Where can I find a lot of Downers? Need to find some for a Swallow potion. Already killed them next to the burnt out stead.

Raxious

Just finished
The Griffin fight
. Also did every side quest / Point of interest I could find. Got myself a new weapon that cost me all my coins though :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm glad the combat system isn't Souls, or Batman, or Creed, or Bayonetta, or anything else but instead its own thing. I'd rather they spend time refining what they've got than totally emulating another game.

Crafting is nuts in this game, you can keep drilling items down until they are literally dust. Gets pretty damn pricey though, especially with repairs.

I'm really happy with how the crafting system works, along with alchemy. Item scarcity and diversity isn't so obtuse that crafting becomes intimidating, and potion/bomb refills on meditation encourage you to craft all your potion/bomb recipes.

The menus need work though.

I am mulling over whether to move from 360 controller to KB/M. I always play third-person games with a controller but I was 'forced' to go KB/M for Lords of the Fallen because of some weird glitch where the character would stop running when changing direction. I got on really well and it was nice to have so many buttons available.

Is the character movement and camera any better with KB/M? I find the controller to be very stilted and imprecise in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom