• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
w1g2uk4.png

Hard to resist her charms. Amazing character.

Ha, genuinely couldn't tell the difference

Will look out for it when I go on it next

Is there a way of getting cheap healing items? Even water costs a bomb, and I really don't want to turn the difficulty down

Save a lot, especially before fighting something if you are on the hardest difficulty, and use resources more carefully. If you did a mistake or you had a bad fight/glitch/dumb game mechanics, load or die and try to have cleaner fights without taking a lot of damage or using up a large amount of your healing items.

Once you acquire your crossbow, you can use it to easily kill animals around; ignii works well too. Also, there are items that provide large doses of HP regeneration (wolf liver for example); save these for difficult fights and boss battles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What the hell determines if Axii 'Puppet' will proc? Seems entirely random where it can be 75-100% or 0%. Range? Level gap? Willpower? Certain foes or monsters? More in Puppet doesn't say it becomes more effective.

Also Yrden is actually good. Nothing like laying 10 traps towards the last archer before finishing him.
wait you can refill potions? OMG...
facepalm.gif

Go stock up on a few 18 or 25 crown spirits if you have swallow. Later looting you should have like 60 alcohols so it doesn't matter. I'm trying not to use them though. I have like 2000 crowns
mozz_shopkeep.gif

Are you guys really having problems with food? The only time I bought food was the first time you have access to a vendor, I have so much food and Alcohol from looting its insane, swallow potions are amazing. Playing on BaBB but then again I'm lvl 5 almost 6 so idk how far you guys are.

I'm also playing on BaBB, and initially I was having problems with food before I remembered to start crafting swallow potions. Bigger issue is being underleveled. You cannot critical path the mainline quest as you will be way underleveled.

Started the first "dungeon" with
Keira Metz
at level 3. Let's just say it was a slog, but made it through and now I'm almost level 5. Time to do a bunch of side questin'!

epmode

There's three kinds: Alcohest, Dwarven Spirit and White Gull. The first two being the ones you usually loot.

One alcohol item restores all potions and bombs.

I see. That will probably prevent me from using meditation to pass the time, then. I'd like an option to stop auto-restocking.

Sounds like an improvement otherwise!

Oh wow... you only need to make the initial potion then it just needs alcohol? Man that's easy... kinda sad though. Wonder why they did that?

Probably because most players said "fuck it" and brute forced the combat with just swords and signs. That's what I did at least. I've been using Oils and Potions and Bombs a lot more in this one.

taybul

Oh wow... you only need to make the initial potion then it just needs alcohol? Man that's easy... kinda sad though. Wonder why they did that?

Yeah discovered that too many hours in as well. I was almost out of breads and animal meat before I tried a potion, so much better.

Alpende

It does, but you can find alcohol pretty much anywhere.
In the previous games you always needed all the ingredients every time you wanted to make a specific potion.

Man, I'm glad they did this. I think I remember not using too many potions in Witcher 2 because I was afraid I'd might need them later.

Downloaded and waiting. =)

Are hunting quests like taking down the Griffin common? I've been steam rolling the story and planning a new game for most side quests, only dabbled in a couple here when needed for levelling up. I'm really hoping to see more hunting/taking beasts heads for trophies when I start my next play through, which may be a while because this game is freaking enormous.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't think it's perfect, but I'm still loving the combat to bits and there's not a single open world action RPG with better.

Dark Souls?

I'm actually enjoying the combat too. It feels much better than TW2 but is still kind of clunky in spots. It has a pretty weak implementation of that Batman/Shadow of Mordor thing where you jump around from enemy to enemy when not locked on.

Acinixys

Probably because most players said "fuck it" and brute forced the combat with just swords and signs. That's what I did at least. I've been using Oils and Potions and Bombs a lot more in this one.

Using potions in TW2 was a shit show and so stupidly complicated and badly designed

I like this new system way more

Just wish potions would last longer than 20 seconds

At least 45 please CDP

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
HOLY SHIT, there is a passive skill which gives you 500! Vitality. Why did I ignore the last tab so long... 500!!!!
You have to slot it though which sucks and it's not that great imo. I'd rather have +100% light attack crit damage from the specialization.
Still not used to the fall damage lol. Keep dying in idiotic ways.
Hit jump to roll before landing and not take fall damage.
Why does Geralt move so slow when locked on. Dear god might as well bolt his feet into the ground.
Yeah I do double quick steps towards the opponent to close gap then light attack at 3-4 geralts away.
Honestly wouldn't use them otherwise and they run out pretty fast. In Witcher 2 just never used it unless I needed to. There's enough to do and if you really want to min max every engagement you could. Up to you how often you decide to meditate and how much alcohol you have on you. Think of it was a 20 crown tax.

Virdix

FYI. The alleged tip from Kotaku about dropping equipment in a spot to retrieve it later does not work on PS4. I'm not sure if this also applies to the PC and Xbox One version, but don't drop any valuable equipment with the hope of retrieving it later. It will be gone.

I thankfully only did it with some common books and crafting items just to test it out.

OMG, thank you, I was about to do this and tell my friends to do it later today.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dark Souls?

Nah, not in the full "open world" sense. Dark Souls is big and open but still claustraphobic gauntlet/zone based. Kind of like Metroid. In a good way, of course.

they really need to sort potions/bombs/oils into a separate tab.

Yes, badly. Given you only need to craft these things once, and only two of each equipped, there should be a supplies tab that lists only oils, bombs, and potions. All consumables that are refilled on meditation.

Why does Geralt move so slow when locked on. Dear god might as well bolt his feet into the ground.

To force you to do something, and shove the "perfect dodge" mechanic down your throat.

Sometimes I feel like attacks are automated instead of being individual pokes that you can freely control; it is like a damn rhythm game. Sometimes I am near an enemy and press nothing, and I don't get hit, but when I press dodge (not perfectly timed), they somehow get extended range or automatically hit me. I have to confirm it though.

How badly did I screw up if I didn't pick up
the crystal bird skull
at the beginning of the game? I didn't even notice it but checking online apparently it's a thing you can find.

Yes, badly. Given you only need to craft these things once, and only two of each equipped, there should be a supplies tab that lists only oils, bombs, and potions. All consumables that are refilled on meditation.

Yep. What could also work is adding a book to the Glossary once you've read it. I don't need all those books in my inventory.

the crystal bird skull
at the beginning of the game? I didn't even notice it but checking online apparently it's a thing you can find.

What?!? I missed it too.

realcZk

the crystal bird skull

I didn't grab it either. Looks like after you
kill the griffen
you can't loot it anymore, least I couldn't find it in my game again.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I didn't grab it either. Looks like after you
kill the griffen
you can't loot it anymore, least I couldn't find it in my game again.

Oh well that's nice to know considering the last thing I did last night was just that.

epmode

the crystal bird skull

Dunno but I restarted when I found out about it. You can't go back for it either!

the crystal bird skull

Seriously? I thought you only get control first in a completely different area. Which place at the beginning?

Tenebrous

Anyone finding the game a lot easier than Witcher 2? I am playing on Death March and things are going well (level 7 now), but I could never do well on Witcher 2's Insane difficulty.

Combat is definitely an improvement, though.

Ultimadrago

Did anyone play that random Nilf nobleman at Gwent?

Boy mopped the floor with me like 15 times before I beat him once.

I need better cards...like ALL the better cards.

ekim

Asking here again, are there different seasons in the game? The famous horse riding gif from the 2013 trailer has golden grass and seems like it's taking place in Autumn.

Anyone finding the game a lot easier than Witcher 2? I am playing on Death March and things are going well (level 7 now), but I could never do well on Witcher 2's Insane difficulty.

Combat is definitely an improvement, though.

Definitely finding Death March a lot harder than Insane, which was just hard with permadeath. I die a lot.

Aces&Eights

I'd still give it a try if I were you. It could be something else that triggers it to disappear. I just noticed it wasn't there after that happened.
Where is this skull thing? How close to the beg? I am in WO and going to fight Griffen tonight so would like to go try and find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom