• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found later in the game to not trust instructions regarding tactics on monsters. For example there're some flying enemies that were weak to a recommended sign and i found that another sign was A LOT MORE EFFECTIVE to take them down.

The fire sign (can't remember the name) takes wolves out in one hit, thought that should have been listed. Or are they just weak to all magic?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I was saying the person said to use the force spell, but the game wants you to use the crossbow (which I was using)
facepalm.gif

You can use xbow, push, axii, bombs, wait for it to land, or tank it with quen. Might be more like level 4 Yrden too. It's not cut and dry.

What is up with the constant wind everywhere you go? I'm in a house standing still and Geralts hair and clothing doodads are flying all over the place. It's so stupid looking.

Ferrio

Banned
ok I'm in the first Griffin fight and it's taking down half my life with one hit. This is fucking stupid.

I did all the pre-missions. I'm on the 3rd difficulty but still. I'm dodging and rolling but still getting hit. And I 100% Dark Souls.

Don't roll, only dodge. Rolling got me killed AND you lose stamina. Use the crossbow to shoot his ass down when he dives you.

Chitown B

Don't roll, only dodge. Rolling got me killed AND you lose stamina. Use the crossbow to shoot his ass down when he dives you.

I dodged and died. Everyone else says to roll. Sounds like there's not a best way to do this.

I'll eventually kill him. Just not used to dying so many times to early bosses.

edit: awesome, I followed it to the windmill, got off my horse to fight and rolled and it made me get on my horse. Died.

aravuus

Aww yeah, looks like someone came up with an infinite durability cheat at the cheatengine forums, hope it works. Now I just need a zero item weight mod and I can finally enjoy the game to the fullest.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I dodged and died. Everyone else says to roll. Sounds like there's not a best way to do this.

I'll eventually kill him. Just not used to dying so many times to early bosses.
Dodge air attacks. Roll ground attacks is safer I think.
It's teaching you to use everything and to play safe and treat it as a threat. It's a great boss.

erawsd

I was saying the person said to use the force spell, but the game wants you to use the crossbow (which I was using)

You use the crossbow to shoot him out of the sky, hes stunned for a brief moment after falling so you can get some shots in then, he recovers really fast so you have to be quick. You use the ard spell to stun him when hes coming after you on the ground, that gives you an opportunity to lay into him without taking damage. If you pop thunderbolt when hes stunned by ard you can do some serious damage.

The game tells you about the Griffins weaknesses in the bestiary. The catch to this games combat is really reading the bestiary and experimenting with signs, potions, and bombs. If you just try to brute force everything with your sword alone you are going to get whooped or at least make things way harder than are.

Probably because most players said "fuck it" and brute forced the combat with just swords and signs. That's what I did at least. I've been using Oils and Potions and Bombs a lot more in this one.

That was their intention, yeah.
Most people were ignoring alchemy because it was too much of a hassle.
Filthy casuals!

:p

I'll be honest, I actually don't mind, only having to gather the ingredients the first time and then being able to refill works for me.

Am I doing something wrong, or does merely attacking alghouls break quen, and attacking them without quen up results in getting staggered?

Aces&Eights

You use the crossbow to shoot him out of the sky, hes stunned for a brief moment after falling so you can get some shots in then, he recovers really fast so you have to be quick. You use the ard spell to stun him when hes coming after you on the ground, that gives you an opportunity to lay into him without taking damage. If you pop thunderbolt when hes stunned by ard you can do some serious damage.

The game tells you about the Griffins weaknesses in the bestiary. The catch to this games combat is really reading the bestiary and experimenting with signs, potions, and bombs. If you just try to brute force everything with your sword alone you are going to get whooped or at least make things way harder than are.

Saving this for tonight! Great explanation, thanks!

synce

Could someone give a rough estimate on how long until I can get a nice big dose of Ciri? I'm playing on easy, planning on rushing through the game. Just finished my first battle (after the lilac and gooseberries line)

Chitown B

yeah I'm not used to that. I never read books in games. I'm used to Dark Souls type combat where no one tells you shit about shit. You just figure it out in the middle of the fight by trial and error.

GeoramA

Playing on the default difficulty and I'm getting reamed every fight, even with a ton of dodging. Combat will definitely take some getting used to.

yeah I'm not used to that. I never read books in games. I'm used to Dark Souls type combat where no one tells you shit about shit. You just figure it out in the middle of the fight by trial and error.

This isn't Dark Souls. The tutorial level tells you the importance of reading when Ciri gets scolded for skipping reading a chapter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To used the tired 'Souls trope: git gud. Griffon is your Taurus Demon.

Use potion that was brewed specifically for the flight and clearly indicates in the inventory screen description it increase attack power.
Keep some food on you if you need to heal.
Crossbow is shit damage but is used to stun airborne targets causing them to fall to the ground.
Use your signs. Quen will let you soak a shot. Aard is good knockback that can be used to stun. Igni can apply burning damage.
Patience. Patience. Patience. Land a shot or two, then roll/dodge back or to the side to get out of the way.
Learn the attacks and your safety zones.
Hitting enemies in the back deals critical damage. Combined with potion = winner winner chicken dinner.
git gud

you're not alone some dude asked me how often he should beat his wife and boy did I try my hardest to kill him.
Yeah. Even four hours in, I'm already getting a bit used to the brusque and nasty talk I hear around me...but this one irritated me so I pretty much murdered him.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How badly did I screw up if I didn't pick up
the crystal bird skull
at the beginning of the game? I didn't even notice it but checking online apparently it's a thing you can find.
Ugh. Whatever. If it's useful, I'll get it on another playthrough someday. Ain't got no patience to restart.

Chitown B

This isn't Dark Souls. The tutorial level tells you the importance of reading when Ciri gets scolded for skipping reading a chapter.

I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying I'm having a hard time getting used to that. I don't like to read in games, it's tedious and also very hard to read on a big screen 10 feet back. the text is tiny.

Ferrio

Banned

Use potion that was brewed specifically for the flight and clearly indicates in the inventory screen description it increase attack power.
Crossbow is shit damage but is used to stun airborne targets causing them to fall to the ground.
Use your signs. Quen will let you soak a shot. Aard is good knockback that can be used to stun. Igni can apply burning damage.
Patience. Patience. Patience. Land a shot or two, then roll/dodge back or to the side to get out of the way.
Hitting enemies in the back deals critical damage. Combined with potion = winner winner chicken dinner.
git gud

So does Vesemir just not do shit in that fight, or was that only me cause I'm on the hardest difficulty? I think he cast ignii once and hit it maybe twice.

The alternate fire mode heals you if you're struck while maintaining the bubble. Free potions basically.

Alternate what?

artsi

What is up with the constant wind everywhere you go? I'm in a house standing still and Geralts hair and clothing doodads are flying all over the place. It's so stupid looking.

Yeah I was indoors and my hair was still blowing while talking to a peasant, lol.

git gud

Also making and using the Silver Viper sword for the fight makes it pretty straight forward

HeelPower

Playing on hard difficulty is the way to go imo.

Limitations on healing items forces you to focus on strategy and to avoid unnecessary fights.

This is such a grounded and tense open world experience.At least early on.

The combat is so satisfying and exploration are incredible from every angle.

Fucking CDPR.

Salsa

I fought the Griffin on Sword and Story cause that's when I had decided to turn it down a bit after gettin crushed by a mob and it was so ridiculously easy that it was terrible

turned it back up to blood and broken bones after that on the next area.

again still bummed about not getting the cheevo at the end of the game but I blame CDPR for not being that clear about it considering TW2 was way harder..

I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying I'm having a hard time getting used to that. I don't like to read in games, it's tedious and also very hard to read on a big screen 10 feet back. the text is tiny.
I like reading in games actually, but you're right about the text. It's a bit absurd for a game to want me to read through everything carefully and then make it nigh impossible to see.

I agree about the text size. That's my major gripe with this game. You didn't read in the Souls games though? I was literally reading every item description I could.

fossen

I -think- I read someone saying that there's a bug where you have to be ingame sometimes before the gamma image will show up. Try loading your game and then going to options.

I happened to try that on Xbone, and still no image. In the Gamma Correction screen, it seems to be a flat black circle no matter what.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You can edit 60 fps cutscenes into the .ini file?

Anyone know what the setting is called and where the .ini is located in the GOG files? TYIA.

I can't register my Steam copy to GOG right?

You probably will be able to eventually. It took a couple months with TW2 iirc.

Dynasty8

For the X1 version, does deleting the cache help improve performance? I don't remember where I read something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom