• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravuus

nope,only in quests or when freeing places infested by monsters

You do actually get a tiny bit of EXP from kills if you have the noonwraith trophy ("+5% bonus exp from killed enemies" or something like that) equipped. Killed a couple of wolves as a test, and the exp they gave was in the single digits though, so it's not that big a deal.

I hope there's a +10% or higher trophy later on

I've seen reviews that paint him as some generic cipher but his dialogue's too good for that.

Anyone saying that doesn't know what they are talking about imo. He has a very distinct personality. Yes you the player can make decisions for him but he always talks in his specific style.

Plus the writing in this game is nearly unmatched in my opinion. Geralt is just amazing and its gonna be really sad to say goodbye to him

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All signs have an alternate fire mode that can be unlocked in their second tier. EG: Quen lets you pull up a shield bubble that heals you as you take hits. Igni turns your hand into a flamethrower.

So does Vesemir just not do shit in that fight, or was that only me cause I'm on the hardest difficulty? I think he cast ignii once and hit it maybe twice.

I assume he's drunk and thinking of Gwent.

Also making and using the Silver Viper sword for the fight makes it pretty straight forward

Also this, yes. If stuff can be made/upgraded/bought to improve your gear in White Orchard you should probably do so.

White Orchard as a whole, and all its quests and points of discovery, is a tutorial. It's got a little bit of everything, and all quests are geared to your level at that point in the game and thus can be completed before moving on to the real open world. It shows you a bit of everything and lets you try all the upgrade/crafting stuff.

Aces&Eights

tier 2 signs can have alternate modes (need 6 points in tier 1 to unlock tier 2). For quen at tier 2 you create a channellled bubble shield like Vesimer does in the tutorial

I'm worried I won't have enough points though. I heard they are pretty skimpy on them. Do you know how many you get in the game? Really want to level up swords too.

Skyzard

Banned
How are you taking screenshots? I'm playing through GOG Launcher and Dxtory, MSI Afterburner etc all seem to be incapable of taking screenshots when I'm in game for some reason :S

MSI works for me, using GOG version but launching directly through steam.
Fraps also works fine.

Dunno about steam overlay, I have it disabled as it wasn't working with most stuff, probably some third party on my end.

MSI works for me, using GOG, launching through steam though.
Fraps also works fine.

Dunno about steam overlay, I have it disabled as it wasn't working with most stuff, probably some third party on my end.

Have you had any crashes when launching via steam? I've had no crashes from GOG, launched once from Steam and crashed after 5 mins.

Might have been a one off occurrence, though.

erawsd

yeah I'm not used to that. I never read books in games. I'm used to Dark Souls type combat where no one tells you shit about shit. You just figure it out in the middle of the fight by trial and error.

Yeah, Im sure its a bit of a shellshock for anyone use to other action combat games with more twitch baseD systems. Like I watched the Giantbomb quicklook of the Noonwraith fight and they did the same thing where they just whack away at it with the sword and they ended up getting destroyed. Then they figured out the secret to it and kill it in seconds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm worried I won't have enough points though. I heard they are pretty skimpy on them. Do you know how many you get in the game? Really want to level up swords too.
EH, I'm level 9 with 0 points in combat skills, all in on signs to help control fights with +40% sign intensity from crafted blue mutagen. I took Cat school for +100% LIGHT crit damage, and fast attack bonus.

The combat skills all look terrible until you can use adrenaline for stuff.

As above, level up via main quests and contracts. Find places of power to get more points.

aravuus

Oh, looks like there's a 9999 weight limit mod already for those who want it here!

I admit weight isn't THAT much of a problem in TW3 since everything's so light, but I still hate the mechanic. So it's nice to have.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Think I'm gonna restart and go for Hard, Blood and Broken Bones. Normal isn't much of a challenge and is letting me play sloppy and not really pay attention to the finer aspects of the game. Plus I can make up for the stuff I missed or screwed up. Damn bird skull.

This inventory crash bug is infuriating. I'm lenient with huge RPGs like this because they have been, and always will be, buggy at launch. But something like this is inexcusable and practically game breaking.

I'm assuming you're playing on PC? I had the same issue and fixed it by going to Options > Video > Graphics and changing the Maximum Frames Per Second option to Unlimited (from 60). Once I did that I haven't had a single crash in the inventory screen once, and and I was having them about once an hour.

Skyzard

Banned
^ lol, that checkered top was armour? I thought he dressed up for something (when I saw it in screenshots). Dang.

Have you had any crashes when launching via steam? I've had no crashes from GOG, launched once from Steam and crashed after 5 mins.

Might have been a one off occurrence, though.

I haven't had the game crash at all.

Although very recently I've had my driver crash while just browsing in chrome - after leaving the overclock on. Read similar stuff about latest nvidia drivers crashing with chrome.

I saw there was a secondary weapon for sale in the Nilfgaardian Barracks, but didn't want to spend money on it

How do they work? Do they just replace the Steel Sword?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh, looks like there's a 9999 weight limit mod already for those who want it here!

I admit weight isn't THAT much of a problem in TW3 since everything's so light, but I still hate the mechanic. So it's nice to have.
As soon as you get the +70 bag it's really not much of an issue. Normally I do these things, but I'll stay in game for this now unless there's some bandit hideout where 30 of them have those 6WT clubs.
Think I'm gonna restart and go for Hard, Blood and Broken Bones. Normal isn't much of a challenge and is letting me play sloppy and not really pay attention to the finer aspects of the game. Plus I can make up for the stuff I missed or screwed up. Damn bird skull.
Just change slider in options, no need to reset.

Man I am so depressed this is the last game with Geralt of Rivia. Such an amazing character

Tons of book out there. And if your like me and don't have time to read get some audio books. Although I think only the first Witcher book is currently translated into english for the audio version.

HeelPower

so alcohest or whatever its name is(the red bottle) refills used potions automatically ?

Tons of book out there. And if your like me and don't have time to read get some audio books. Although I think only the first Witcher book is currently translated into english for the audio version.

Its honestly his game character that's so likeable and endearing.

Fantastic design ,writing,and voice acting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think the build I'm going for is maximising damage and mobility of light attacks in combination with igni and yrden. Though I also want to throw some points in alchemy because potion buffs are unbelievably useful.

Seriously; use your fucking gear. Read up about monsters. Craft the potions, oils, and bombs. And when you're going to tackle a difficult encounter, apply the fucking goods. You don't need to spec Geralt for spell/alchemy use for both of these things to be incredibly useful pretty much always. They're tools as much as swords. Skill specs are mainly to buff things rather than make them useful at all. Use spells, potions, bombs, and oils. Pleeeaaase.

Bestiary will tell you all oil/potion/sign weaknesses for your target.

EDIT: Also it's not like the last two games where potion/oil use required you craft them all the time. Once you've crafted them you have them forever. They refill using alcohol every time you meditate. All of them. You get all your bombs and points restocked. So craft them to add them to your supply.

RK9039

Good stuff, been waiting for this. I have my weight limit to 90 now, but I just love picking up random things.

Question about Codger's Quarry in Velen
After I kill all but one of the alghouls, the dudes reliably turn against me despite my just having fought to try to save them. Is this just how it is, or am I not saving them in time?

aravuus

As soon as you get the +70 bag it's really not much of an issue. Normally I do these things, but I'll stay in game for this now unless there's some bandit hideout where 30 of them have those 6WT clubs.

Yeah, after like... 6 or 7 hours of hoarding pretty much everything I came across, I was sitting at 80 out of max 90 weight. It's a far more lenient system compared to most RPGs.

But like I said, it's still nice to have effectively infinite inventory space.

HeelPower

afaik yes and one bottle of that stuff gives refills to many potions and bombs. You don't burn through that stuff fast and you keep finding it constantly.

Bombs too ?

Very interesting.Gotta start using bombs.

Does this apply on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty as well ?

witness

Oh good DLC is finally up for PS4, hope this means 1.02 is out, or at least is about to be out. Love being able to download it while I'm at the office.

EatChildren

What are you guys doing to level up more quickly? Just side quest?

AFAIK you only net XP from completing quests or tasks (eg: blowing up a monster nest) and not just general slashy play. So yeah. If you want XP, you gotta quest.

Does this apply on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty as well ?

Yes. Basically the whole system has been rejigged: craft once to add to your inventory permanently, refilled/resupplied upon meditation using base consumables. Makes no sense not to craft every potion/bomb recipe you have. You can also find upgrade variants of your goodies too. EG: I crafted Dragon's Breath, then Enhanced Dragon's Breath bombs that required the former.

HeelPower

Yes. Basically the whole system has been rejigged: craft once to add to your inventory permanently, refilled/resupplied upon meditation using base consumables. Makes no sense not to craft every potion/bomb recipe you have. You can also find upgrade variants of your goodies too. EG: I crafted Dragon's Breath, then Enhanced Dragon's Breath bombs that required the former.

Thanks!

Another one of many improvements that TW3 adds to the series.

EatChildren

sdf9yuay.jpg

Gaz_RB

I literally walk everywhere in this game. I haven't shared the same "0 to 100" issues as a lot of you guys because I never run haha.

Maiar_m

It's not the last Witcher game but iirc it's the last Geralt game.

The writer just said he wanted things to finish with a bang, and IMO that's about the Wild Hunt arc. The whole "retirement" thing... I don't believe it much. Hobbs's Royal Assassin, Sherlock Holmes et al. all had a brief stint as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom