• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

After getting wrecked in my first play session, I am defiantly improving judging from my second session. I no longer die every fight, hurray! I also spend like 15 minutes hunting wolves and deer around that place of power just north of the starting village and now I have like 30 pieces of raw meat so I can heal :). Will probably check out some of the question marks that are left in white orchard tomorrow for some loot before I go challenge the Griffon.

Vintage

Damn I hate that horses don't run away from the battles but instead start running in small circles, like wtf. I once encountered a bandit camp with 3 bandits on horses, when everyone got on foot, there was 4 horses spinning in circles in the middle of the fight. Since horses in this game is unstoppable force, they starting pushing everyone around. It was like some crazy rave carousel, literally unplayable. Even worse - if horse runs up to you during fight and you try to roll, you'll start climbing on the horse instead since it's the same button.

After getting wrecked in my first play session, I am defiantly improving judging from my second session. I no longer die every fight, hurray! I also spend like 15 minutes hunting wolves and deer around that place of power just north of the starting village and now I have like 30 pieces of raw meat so I can heal :). Will probably check out some of the question marks that are left in white orchard tomorrow for some loot before I go challenge the Griffon.

Don't worry about food that much. Potions are more viable. Craft the swallow potion. It heals for much more than most food, and it replenishes every time you meditate (so long as you have alcohol.)

Salsa

That stuff is not missing in W2! I just played it last week for the first time and what you're describing is exactly why I loved it and bought W3. Geralt's relationships with Roche, Triss, Dandelion, Zoltan, Letho and the Vipers, Ves and everyone else is what kept me interested. The kings murdering each other and playing the game of thrones was pretty whatever to me in the end (even if I liked following it as it happened).

you should play the 1st. keep in mind im coming from that

The only good armor so far is the thing you start off with, everything else looks absolutely horrible.

This is going to be me wearing the best gear in the game.

khJjywj.jpg

Yeah. It's annoying how shitty all the other armor looks. Just wanna keep rocking my first set.

Salsa

I was so happy when you could craft a better version of your first set

then I moved on and found one better that looks so, so bad

Sober

Yeah. It's annoying how shitty all the other armor looks. Just wanna keep rocking my first set.
There's a few recipes I think where you can upgrade your Kaer Morhen armour up a level or two but I'm sure in the end you just find better armour than that without even batting an eye.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TW1 had larger discovery based zones each act over TW2, which centralised most quest acquisition in the town/camp before sending you out to complete them. Wild Hunt enforces that first game discovery and wandering more while upping it significantly. And that's what i like.

Salsa

lol riposting in witcher games bleehhh

I don't even roll

dodge erryday

TW1 had larger discovery based zones each act over TW2, which centralised most quest acquisition in the town/camp before sending you out to complete them. Wild Hunt enforces that first game discovery and wandering more while upping it significantly. And that's what i like.

yes!

it's hard to articulate but in the end 2 just came and went for me. I did enjoy it, but this feels much more in line with what I want out of a witcher sequel.

rashbeep

Banned
-Witcher sense. I'm getting really tired of games that utilize mechanic's like Witcher sense. When you have a game as graphically impressive as Witcher, I think it's ridiculous to include a mechanic that distorts the graphics just for highlighting things in red for the user to click on. This seems to be a trend in lots of videogames these days for example night vision in FPS or abilities to let you see through walls and I just think it sort of ruins immersion. I'll also say that even though the quests are varied, there are too many quests that are essentially scavenger hunts making use of your Witcher sense. From a design perspective I don't see how it's drastically different than some of the fetch quests in games like Skyrim.

I can't agree to your other points like technical issues (playing on PC), or your other points about the writing/characters (maybe I'm more used to it having played the other two games?), but I can definitely agree with this. I'm really hoping there is less reliance on Witcher sense as the game goes on. Although the quests are written well, I want to be able to find things for myself instead of just Witcher sensing to highlight things and pressing the use key.

Soriku

PS4 patch incoming (fixes for stuttering and framerate drops).

mmmv2gb.png

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/05/20/new-the-witcher-3-update-development-small-text-size-frame-rate-issues-looked/

This can't come soon enough. Thank God this is being addressed, I'm fucking dying to play this game.

What about making Geralt less stiff? Running right away instead of waiting a second and smoother circular movement would be a good start. This should also fix delays in looting.

I've seen people mention wanting bigger bag space/a home/bank. While you can get an upgrade to add a satchel to your horse, you can also just drop items on the floor and they seem to stay there permanently (they don't get stolen or despawn).

I'm not 100% sure if it might disappear 80 hours into the game but items I dropped right as soon as I entered White Orchard are still there after 12+ hours now. Once you leave White Orchard and in a major city or something, find a place to store items by just dropping them (they all seem to stay in a little bag if you drop a bunch at the same time). It seems to stay forever.

Furyous

I'm upgrading my first armor until it's not possible anymore. Is there a better way to earn silver than buying it? Dismantling weapons got old and I couldn't earn the silver that way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it costs 10 silver to craft one weapon. That's 120 crowns for one weapon!

Are there any saddlebags lying around White Orchard?

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
A couple hours in and its pretty good but might table it until a text fix is in. Sit about 12' way on a 60" 1080p TV with perfect eyesight and it is extremely difficult to read. If it was occasional text it would probably be OK but half this game is reading.

Salsa

yeah, fuck. so overwhlemed by the stuff to do on the second area that I can't even fathom burning myself out by replaying the first. it is decided.

aravuus

Wow, been playing for almost an hour now without crashing or freezing. Guess the fixes did at least something, it doesn't look that good without HBAO+ but eh, what can you do.

Any tips against the bandits with the long axes? Can't combo them, it's easy to get one hit in, but the second one always stuns me for.. Well, I have no idea why. The guy's just standing there. Kinda annoying when I deal like a hundredth of their HP damage right now.

Still, I'm level 4 and they're level 10, it took 10 minutes to beat 3 bandits, but maybe I shouldn't really be able to beat them at all right now. Kind of thinking of turning the difficulty up to second hardest.

Salsa

also im loving this open world-but-different-areas system more than I thought I would. Definetly think it's working better than one big area would.

Wow, been playing for almost an hour now without crashing or freezing. Guess the fixes did at least something, it doesn't look that good without HBAO+ but eh, what can you do.

Any tips against the bandits with the long axes? Can't combo them, it's easy to get one hit in, but the second one always stuns me for.. Well, I have no idea why. The guy's just standing there. Kinda annoying when I deal like a hundredth of their HP damage right now.

Still, I'm level 4 and they're level 10, it took 10 minutes to beat 3 bandits, but maybe I shouldn't really be able to beat them at all right now. Kind of thinking of turning the difficulty up to second hardest.

Light attacking them will get your ass kicked, use strong attacks only against those guys.

Dominator

How do I get out of the Overburdened state? You can't run and the camera stays close to Geralt. It's annoying the hell out of me lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they don't just increase the font on consoles, I can't read shit on PC either when playing on the TV.

Nose Master

lol riposting in witcher games bleehhh

I don't even roll

dodge erryday

yes!

it's hard to articulate but in the end 2 just came and went for me. I did enjoy it, but this feels much more in line with what I want out of a witcher sequel.

Salsa knows. Fighting enemies like a bullfighter makes most of the fights super easy.

slash3584

It's me or is the monster AI somewhat buggy?

Drowners always seem to run in circles only attacking me if I hug them, also every creature has a very small range of aggro, if I get 2 feet away from them they forget about me and keep doing their thing.

I just cut a drowner sideways in half. It was so satisfying I almost jumped for joy lol. No bullshit quick time event or fancy cinematic. Just a clean cut like a light saber. Feels good, I love the gameplay.

artsi

I don't understand Witcher economy. How am I supposed to make money?

p8cCt8E.jpg

I sold these and he put them for sale at 89 orens.
Geralt can't haggle for shit. No wonder he always needs more money.

roytheone

Don't worry about food that much. Potions are more viable. Craft the swallow potion. It heals for much more than most food, and it replenishes every time you meditate (so long as you have alcohol.)

I use potions as heals during battle, and the meat for healing in between battles. Also, hunting gives you pelts, which can be a decent source of income early in the game.

Salsa

after reading reviews and playing the game I realize I read some weird-ass opinions

more than once read people complaint on the simplification on the combat and how it was now just assassins creed and you even lose the "strategy" of fighting with steel or silver sword cause geralt pulls out the correct one

... really

Soriku

It's me or is the monster AI somewhat buggy?

Drowners always seem to run in circles only attacking me if I hug them, also every creature has a very small range of aggro, if I get 2 feet away from them they forget about me and keep doing their thing.

Same with me, though the guards had a large aggro range.

aku:jiki

you should play the 1st. keep in mind im coming from that
I think I might after finishing W3. The fact that the trilogy (?) has an amnesia theme makes it pretty convenient to jump back and forth.

Still, though, even if W1 does it better doesn't mean that W2 does it poorly and I think what I saw in W2 stands above most "AAA" games as far as characterization and storytelling go. There's a very human touch to the writing of the characters and they're not just basic archetypes designed to move the plot forward like in pretty much every other game. I generally don't have patience for the uninteresting writing in most games and am a cutscene skipping machine, but in these games I really like listening to Geralt and Zoltan talk about the good old days or whatever.

Maybe it's not actually great and just speaks to me, but what do I care? I'm loving it.

How do I get out of the Overburdened state? You can't run and the camera stays close to Geralt. It's annoying the hell out of me lol
Son, take a moment here. Did you seriously just ask that question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom