• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand Witcher economy. How am I supposed to make money?

p8cCt8E.jpg

I sold these and he put them for sale at 89 orens.
Geralt can't haggle for shit. No wonder he always needs more money.

you must fight the beehives

Salsa

Ooccoo just turn it down to normal beat the griffin then back up. Do whatever to advance if you're feeling that way and don't care about the boss fight that much since the game still deserves to be kept playin

I didnt think he was hard but depending on how you went through the first area I can see how it can be rough as an early thing if you're not that familiar with the systems

Grady

Just beat the noonwraith on deathmarch on first try. Had like 1 percent health left, though it looked like 0 health. Thought i died and stopped fighting than went oh shit im still alive! One more swing and it was dead. Thank god for the sun and stars ability. By the time i found another quest had about half my health back. This might be one of the goat rpgs for me. Having quality animations in all of these side quests is unheard of in big open world games. Makes such a difference in immersion.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So I should turn down the difficulty because the first boss fight is unbalanced. To me this reeks of poor game design. BTW I have Quen active with a bonus but the boss deals way too much damage. When it lands after I hit it with the crossbow the camera makes it really hard to actually hit it. It's Bloodborne all over again.

It isn't unblanaced. Use quen to adsorb his first hits. It won't even phase you. If you read the bestiary it tells you that it is weak to aard as well. Drink the potion that increases stam regen and you should be fine.

Virdix

Fair enough, but on Deathmarch, you can pretty much lock them up by just chaining heavy attacks. Obviously you won't have that luxury for long if you're getting swarmed, but if you've got some breathing room to deal with an axe guy one on one, try just spamming the heavy swings.

I'll try that next time! :)

Afrodium

Banned
So I should turn down the difficulty because the first boss fight is unbalanced. To me this reeks of poor game design. BTW I have Quen active with a bonus but the boss deals way too much damage. When it lands after I hit it with the crossbow the camera makes it really hard to actually hit it. It's Bloodborne all over again.

Make sure you leveled up correctly. Not only do you need to spend skill points, but you need to equip them. You might be level 3 but if you don't have any skills equipped then you won't get their buffs. The fight isn't that hard so this may be a reason it's so difficult for you.

So I haven't cracked the seal on my PS4 copy yet, is there a patch inbound to fix any issues that hasn't hit yet?

Also Best Buy finally got their shit together with the Steel book in store. I had to post on the BB forums and get a social media rep to call the store.

- white Orchard
Crypt (viper stuff) : if you enter it before getting the quest the door is locked when you come back and you can't open it again.

- dirty funds :
for many players, the quest is stuck at "read the letter" even if you read it 100 times,

etc.

There are more but this is just from the top of my head from the first 20 quests you get.

I entered it before the quest and it still worked fine for me later.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My plan is to do the first level of the useful alchemy crafts then sell every random non-alcohol thing I get. Hopefully I'll be able to afford shit that way.

So I haven't cracked the seal on my PS4 copy yet, is there a patch inbound to fix any issues that hasn't hit yet?

Also Best Buy finally got their shit together with the Steel book in store. I had to post on the BB forums and get a social media rep to call the store.
Goddamn I wish I had gotten this. Gorgeous. I have a thing for steelbooks.

Reebot

not saying that, but easy should make you go through what you don't like about it faster

I mean, they describe it as such. mode is called "just story"

Putting it on easy makes it worse. What's bad isn't the difficulty, it's the controls and animations. Geralt, and witchers generally, are lightning fast killers in the books. In the game he's slow and lumbering.

Honestly none of the games capture the feel of the book's combat at all.

bombshell

Got my PS4 copy today but I haven't played it because it just gets stuck loading after the second intro cutscene. Anyone else had this issue? Fucking annoying as all fuck because the cutscenes are long and not skippable. I could have screamed after trying it for the 5th time having to watch them yet again to no avail.

This kind of shit really puts me off gaming these days, I dont have the time for this bullshit. Going to plug my Megadrive back in I think.

Others with this problem have said that if you restart the PS4 this problem goes away.

Alghouls are stupidly hard compared to a same level pretty much anything else that you fight in swarms. They heal hilariously fast, they automatically break through your quen just by getting attacked, and they stagger you when you attack without quen up. They do way more damage than pretty much anything else I'm fighting, too.

I know I'm playing the hard mode but there just doesn't seem to be a good way to tackle alghouls, they just put pretty much every other small, numerous monster type to shame.

How do i heal myself while fighting? I know i can meditate, but are there no potions for health or something?

Make swallow in the alchemy menu. You can also use food during combat, but its regen is slower.

How do i heal myself while fighting? I know i can meditate, but are there no potions for health or something?

The answer is always apple pie. (or any food item or drink, really. Though some alcohol you may want to save for crafting.)

And the swallow potion, as Reebot says.

Stoze

Not sure what's going on with enemy levels, what I mean is that at level 2 I'm fighting these level 5 wolves and level 6 wraiths and they're a cakewalk, but level 2 ghouls can decimate me, level 2 humans are pretty challenging as well.

Playing on Blood and Broken Bones btw.

Skyzard

Banned
I dunno but I really like how I'm not like level 12 already just for doing nothing. Although under 5xp for wolf kills, kinda not worth going for.

Music really is top quality in this game. Actually taken by surprise by it.

Same for me, it's been fantastic.

Dresden

Swallow regens slowly; so does food

Quen's 2nd tier upgrade heals upon being struck

White Raffard's Decoction heals instantly

Not sure what's going on with enemy levels, what I mean is that at level 2 I'm fighting these level 5 wolves and level 6 wraiths and they're a cakewalk, but level 2 ghouls can decimate me, level 2 humans are pretty challenging as well.

Playing on Blood and Broken Bones btw.

Anything that's not a skull is fair game, and anything that's low level can still kill you if you fuck up. Think that holds for both BBB and DM.

I'm going to start this game tonight. Any pointers on what difficulty I should play in? For reference, I played Dragon Age Inquisition on medium and did fairly well actually. But Bloodborne handed my ass several times lol.

Loving this game but I have two huge, yet kinda dumb complaints. Night time is way too short! The sun should not be coming up at 230am, that's insane. And Novigrad feels less alive than most villages. I don't know if it's limitations on the PS4, but there just aren't that many people there. I've seen more people at Crow's Perch than in the streets of a super busy city. Both seem like they could be fixed with mods on the PC, so just two reasons to double dip one day I guess.

Ferrio

Banned
There's no way to heal to full like at an inn or something is there? Meditate isn't an option due to the difficulty level.

Iztli

Love the combat in this game :p

Playing on death march and all I'm doing is looking for fights. QUEN YO SELF BEFORE YOU BREAK YO SELF!

Also, I loved the Ciri part especially since I'm also reading Blood of Elves and it was just how I imagined it.

aravuus

Aww yeah, got into Oxenfurt or whatever, found a barbershop and now I'm finally sporting the best Geralt haircut again

yjBt8UE.png

I need to get rid of that stupid looking armor, though. Hope there's a dude somewhere here who can craft me a better one.

Is there a mod for pc that changes the durability? Here is one for PC that gets rid of the weight limit

Google "witcher 3 cheat engine" and check out the cheatengine forums link. There's a cheat table for CE that has an infinite durability cheat. No durability modifiers or anything like that, though.

e: also, 1.5 hours in, no crashes yet! YAY!

Sorian

Banned
Alghouls are stupidly hard compared to a same level pretty much anything else that you fight in swarms. They heal hilariously fast, they automatically break through your quen just by getting attacked, and they stagger you when you attack without quen up. They do way more damage than pretty much anything else I'm fighting, too.

I know I'm playing the hard mode but there just doesn't seem to be a good way to tackle alghouls, they just put pretty much every other small, numerous monster type to shame.

Use whichever sign is the "mind control" one, the one that just causes a stun at lower levels. They only do that thing where they break your shield/damage you on attack when they have that red aura up and I found that the mind control sign breaks that aura. If nothing else, you can attack them from behind freely without getting hurt so even if the red aura stays on, they'll still be open from behind.

Stoze

Anything that's not a skull is fair game, and anything that's low level can still kill you if you fuck up. Think that holds for both BBB and DM.

Ah ok cool, wasn't expecting that.

Guess ghouls are just the most aggressive bastards then, no wonder everyone has trouble with the first fight.

Putting it on easy makes it worse. What's bad isn't the difficulty, it's the controls and animations. Geralt, and witchers generally, are lightning fast killers in the books. In the game he's slow and lumbering.

Honestly none of the games capture the feel of the book's combat at all.

Ironically me and a group of book readers were just talking about how Witcher 3 finally nailed the feeling of being a Witcher

Nose Master

Am I pressing some button to make the mini map layout disappear while in dungeons? The circle is still there, but it seems to be showing the world map area that I'm in instead of the dungeon map.

Grady

I've fallen into a trap where I think I'm going to be overleveled for most quests. I'm currently level 8 and there's still a bunch of level 6 quests I want to do, but doing those should level me up, causing me to yet again be overleveled for level 7 quests, then the level 8s, etc. etc. I'm playing on Blood & Broken Bones so it's still a bit of a challenge though. I just want to do everything!

This is why i am playing on Death March. I remember being so over leveled in witcher 2 that i dont even think i died once in the final act. Made the game kind of boring. I need rpgs to be challenging otherwise i lost interest.

There's no way to heal to full like at an inn or something is there? Meditate isn't an option due to the difficulty level.

There isn't. What I highly suggest is using one of your ability points for one that restores 10hp per second while daytime and when you're not in combat. I think it's in the next to last column thingy. I was having a hard time before I got that ability but afterwards, I didn't really have a problem with my health. I would fight a few enemies and then explore while my health regained.

Other than that, spend your money on food to heal.

I'm going to start this game tonight. Any pointers on what difficulty I should play in? For reference, I played Dragon Age Inquisition on medium and did fairly well actually. But Bloodborne handed my ass several times lol.

i would say play on normal. The combat is very grounded and more like bloodborne then DA:I. You have to learn to dodge and parry without indicators and be able to use potions and magic when fighting.

DOWN

Banned
Eh, I can cross post this. It's general enough:

Okay, hours in now and it absolutely looks similar in quality to cross gen games. I get that it is likely more complex and on a scale that hasn't been achieved before, and I think it does make graphical achievements in character models, but the world gameplay looks easily as flat as much of Black Flag, the foliage's fine leaves morph into large and low detail texture in obvious ways as they block out lighting behind them (games like Unity and Inquisition use smarter ways of dissipating distant foliage to keep the illusion of light passing through, rather than the texture clearly being opaque at certain LODs with no light passing through cutouts like it does up close), the game does use billboarding foliage, even at its highest quality when you stand right next to it and spin the camera.

Atmospherically, it is strong, but visually, this is absolutely not besting other open world titles this gen. I think people are deflecting when it comes to acknowledging this fact due to their appreciation of the game's scale, style, art, developer, etc.

Okay, hours in now and it absolutely looks similar in quality to cross gen games. I get that it is likely more complex and on a scale that hasn't been achieved before, and I think it does make graphical achievements in character models, but the world gameplay looks easily as flat as much of Black Flag, the foliage's fine leaves morph into large and low detail texture in obvious ways as they block out lighting behind them, the game does use billboarding foliage, even at its highest quality when you stand right next to it and spin the camera.

Atmospherically, it is strong, but visually, this is absolutely not besting other open world titles this gen. I think people are deflecting when it comes to acknowledging this fact due to their appreciation of the game's scale, style, art, developer, etc.

If you think this looks like Black Flag I honestly don't know what to tell you

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Okay, hours in now and it absolutely looks similar in quality to cross gen games. I get that it is likely more complex and on a scale that hasn't been achieved before, and I think it does make graphical achievements in character models, but the world gameplay looks easily as flat as much of Black Flag, the foliage's fine leaves morph into large and low detail texture in obvious ways as they block out lighting behind them, the game does use billboarding foliage, even at its highest quality when you stand right next to it and spin the camera.

The lighting and atmospheric effects are far beyond that of cross gen titles. The sheer variety of assets and NPCs is impressive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom