• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reebot

Ironically me and a group of book readers were just talking about how Witcher 3 finally nailed the feeling of being a Witcher

Really? Keep in mind I'm just talking about combat.

Remember that scene in The Witcher (the story from The Last Wish) in the inn? He kills two guys in barely a second with one move.

Serious question: how does this game capture that speed and ferocity?

TraBuch

Banned
So yeah, this game is pretty good. I ended up just putting it on the easiest difficulty because I don't like the combat all that much. Watching Geralt get hit right before he does a stupid pirouette attack a second after I push the attack button gets pretty fucking old.

Even on the easiest setting, I can get rocked pretty hard if I wind up in an area I shouldn't be. Recently ran to a question mark only to get attacked by about six wraiths six levels higher than me. I got spanked.

Really? Keep in mind I'm just talking about combat.

Remember that scene in The Witcher (the story from The Last Wish) in the inn? He kills two guys in barely a second with one move.

Serious question: how does this game capture that speed and ferocity?

Yeah I can agree that the speed isn't quite there. That said they really nailed the preparation part. Stuff like potions have always been in the series but the way the Bestiary is presented, the improvements to stuff like meditation, the investigating enemies to learn about them and their weaknesses, they've really captured that stuff great this time

Kas

QkoMrz4.png

Thank you so much. I felt like I've seen her before the second I saw her.

Reebot

Yeah I can agree that the speed isn't quite there. That said they really nailed the preparation part. Stuff like potions have always been in the series but the way the Bestiary is presented, the improvements to stuff like meditation, the investing enemies to learn about them and their weaknesses, they've really captured that stuff great this time

Oh that part, definitely nailed. Pretty much everything except the actual fighting is precisely on point.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Can someone look really quickly in their inventory and tell me what the starting armor is called? Pretty please??

I sold every piece, and I'm looking to see if any merchants still have it. There's this armor called hunter armor, but I don't see anything called witcher's.

I really wish the camera didn't automatically adjust when you climb ladders. Also wish it had a greater degree of vertical freedom.

Use whichever sign is the "mind control" one, the one that just causes a stun at lower levels. They only do that thing where they break your shield/damage you on attack when they have that red aura up and I found that the mind control sign breaks that aura. If nothing else, you can attack them from behind freely without getting hurt so even if the red aura stays on, they'll still be open from behind.

Oh handy, thanks. I'll try that.

Question about an Act 1 quest rewarded from the Barron
Okay, so killed the tree, went with the Barron into the swap, he said hes gonna take his wife to the blue mountain
Do I not get any coin after all that bull?

pakkit

Banned
-Geralt's gravelly voice. Honestly, this is the sort of world where I wish I could create my own character. Geralt is like a blank slate fantasy version of Master Chief. I don't hate him, but it makes me miss the character creation in games like Skyrim.

He's really not though. I don't really like his gruff voice acting simply because he's more talkative and eloquent in the books. But he's a pre-existing character we're inhabiting, with developed relationships, desires, and goals.

A certain stuffed animal scene was done incredibly well

The amount of Geralts ass on display in that scene kind of nulls some of the thoughts that only one gender is being exposed for me.

Without ruining anything the next step in that path is even better though if you keep to it. Really glad I chose that character to romance. They have a great story together.

Reebot

He's really not though. I don't really like his gruff voice acting simply because he's more talkative and eloquent in the books. But he's a pre-existing character we're inhabiting, with developed relationships, desires, and goals.

Yeah, his character is rather well defined in the game, even accounting for the choices the player can make

DOWN

Banned
If you think this looks like Black Flag I honestly don't know what to tell you

I honestly don't understand how you can look at the foliage and their flatly lit textures and how blended together the leaves get, yet think it looks more advanced than Black Flag in the general visuals. Looks very similar, if not worse often. The trees are incredibly blurred into masses of few textures with little to no smooth shadowing and depth.

No way in hell would I say one of these is more obviously a cross gen engine over the other in blind guess with screenshots.

Like what am I missing on visuals alone that makes you think this looks like it had a different generation in mind?

Enosh

Aww yeah, got into Oxenfurt or whatever, found a barbershop and now I'm finally sporting the best Geralt haircut again

I need to get rid of that stupid looking armor, though. Hope there's a dude somewhere here who can craft me a better one.
this plus a beard is the best Geralt has looked in all of the 3 games

do hate most of the armor I've found so far apart from the starting one :/

spoilers for a certain character I think everyone knows you get to play as
I also hated how the crossguard of Ciris sword so obviously clipped into her body :/ for a game that mostly seems to avoid this or isn't that noticeable this one was kinda just bad

Nose Master

I was really hoping to bone the herbalist. No such luck.

Does anyone know if
the girl survived after she was given swallow? I went back but she was still laying there and no new dialog options with sexy herb girl.

Sort of.
I went back, she was gone. She survived, but Nihaal army came and took her away.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
this plus a beard is the best Geralt has looked in all of the 3 games

do hate most of the armor I've found so far apart from the starting one :/
The armor designs are pretty awful. Hoping we get better ones later on, I'm still in White Orchard. I wish there was some system in RPGs that let you have the better stats but maintain the appearance of other items for cases like this.

EDIT: The one above is a lot better than my current striped shirt and brown leggings.

Sorian

Banned
I honestly don't understand how you can look at the foliage and their flatly lit textures and how blended together the leaves get, yet think it looks more advanced than Black Flag in the general visuals. Looks very similar, if not worse often. The trees are incredibly blurred into masses of few textures with little to no smooth shadowing and depth.

No way in hell would I say one of these is more obviously a cross gen engine over the other in blind guess with screenshots.

Like what am I missing on visuals alone that makes you think this looks like it had a different generation in mind?

Idk, I'm playing on PC so my game doesn't look like ass like that screenshot. That screenshot looks like the game on lowest settings in all honesty.

CHC

I don't know why everyone hates the armor designs so much, I think they're awesome and historical looking, better than most of the phony-ass spiky crap from the majority of fantasy RPGs.

Auctopus

Loading times are really dampening my enjoyment of the game on Death March.

Especially at important fights, I have to skip through the same dialogue again and again.

Edit: Keira is the best.

Jolkien

I'm going to start this game tonight. Any pointers on what difficulty I should play in? For reference, I played Dragon Age Inquisition on medium and did fairly well actually. But Bloodborne handed my ass several times lol.

Combat is more like Bloodborne than DA:I if that helps your decision.

Last night I discovered the tower
with the cyclops atop it, rushed in to grab the loot in the chests, saw the sword and got immensely excited, then checked the recipe for armor and sword I received, see their stats and almost jump for joy, then notice the level 30 cap. I'm at 10! Seems forever away. Lord does this game seem massive with how experience is doled out. Loving it though, intoxicated with the world.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Can someone look really quickly in their inventory and tell me what the starting armor is called? Pretty please??

I sold every piece, and I'm looking to see if any merchants still have it. There's this armor called hunter armor, but I don't see anything called witcher's.

No one can help this poor soul? Ten seconds of your time, that's all I ask.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know why everyone hates the armor designs so much, I think they're awesome and historical looking, better than most of the phony-ass spiky crap from the majority of fantasy RPGs.
Because the default ones look far better than anything else you get.

Anung

Un Rama
Because the default ones look far better than anything else you get.

Yeah, the default armour looks amazing and its a long ass time before you get a decent looking set. I usually stick with good looking armour even if I have to take the hit in terms of stats. Witcher fashion is important.

Idk, I'm playing on PC so my game doesn't look like ass like that screenshot. That screenshot looks like the game on lowest settings in all honesty.

Looks pretty accurate for PS4. Honestly I think the foliage in this is really poorly done, especially while moving. It's like all of the foliage gets blurry all of a sudden, then goes back to normal when you stop moving.

Reebot

Combat is more like Bloodborne than DA:I if that helps your decision.

Oh, got to chime in here. Combat is not at all like bloodborne; maybe closer to it than DA: I but still a really far off comparison.

Combat plays most like the Arkham games but without the counter system in the forefront.

JJD

Guys anyone knows where is the key to unlock the merchant locked near the Hanged Man's Tree and a Monster Den on No Man's Land???

Gaz_RB

What a disingenuous comparison.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Why can I not "lock on" to bosses? if I'm locked on I sure as hell don't notice it as there is no indicator that I am. Geralts movements are much less. . .drunkard when he is. Fighting the second "boss" and he is moving like his fucking feet are stuck in molasses. I swear CDPR needs to bring in someone next game dedicated to the combat because god damn are they not able to do it very well.

sjay1994

So, this is probably the most interesting fantasy rpg I've played. Really dig the world and the characters. But oh my god, fighting more than one enemy is the fucking worst in this game. I decided to play the game on death march because I know its a long game, and would like to get the trophy out of the way and not play a 30+ hour rpg again, but god damn I am so tired of waiting, holding down L2 for the enemy to attack, and then constantly get hit everytime Geralt decides he has to do a fancy flip to strike. Its a shame I am not enjoying most of the combat, because everything else about the game is stellar.

That griffin fight was great, even on death march, but dealing with small mobs just isn't fun.

Veggy

About 9 hours in, I'm really enjoying the game but the combat system and locking onto stuff is.....pretty bad, especially after playing Bloodborne

Some bugs here and there and the game has crashed 3 times so far, hopefully these are fixed in future patches

Sober

I was really hoping to bone the herbalist. No such luck.

Does anyone know if
the girl survived after she was given swallow? I went back but she was still laying there and no new dialog options with sexy herb girl.
As far as I can tell it's sort of a spoiler but read the journal entry after you finish the quest.

HeelPower

Oh, got to chime in here. Combat is not at all like bloodborne; maybe closer to it than DA: I but still a really far off comparison.

Combat plays most like the Arkham games but without the counter system in the forefront.

Its nothing like arkham games imo

Its actually a lot closer to BloodBorne than it is to Batman games.

Simply because its more punishing.Timing,spacing and dodging is a lot more important.

Reebot

About 9 hours in, I'm really enjoying the game but the combat system and locking onto stuff is.....pretty bad, especially after playing Bloodborne

Some bugs here and there and the game has crashed 3 times so far, hopefully these are fixed in future patches

Going from Bloodborne to this is rough, no doubt.

Bouncing back to a point I had earlier, I think Bloodborne actually captures the ferocity and grit of the world's combat better.

Rocking that Hound from Game of Thrones look :3

CFeBQTuXIAA915B.jpg:large

Based bearded Geralt.

Is this the default armour upgraded or a different armour set? Not in the game at the moment but I can't remember what the default armour looks like (I took it off really early and sold it, ugh).

That looks great.

Reebot

Its nothing like arkham games imo

Its actually a lot closer to BloodBorne than it is to Batman games.

Simply because its more punishing.Timing,spacing and dodging is a lot more important.

I agree on the timing part, but the randomness of animations and huge variance in distance/timing on each attack makes it so far from Bloodborne.

sjay1994

I think this as well. Bloodborne's combat is so good because it forces you to get in. Witcher on death march feels more like DeS and DS which I am not a fan of because they encourage passitivity and waiting, and I am not patient enough, so I die. Large solo enemy fights are fun in witcher, but mobs just suck.

Maybe I should just drop the difficulty and enjoy the story, because this game looks like a chore to try and do everything, especially on death march.

Anung

Un Rama
Is this the default armour upgraded or a different armour set? Not in the game at the moment but I can't remember what the default armour looks like.

That looks great.

Completely different armour set. I've mixed a matched a few things to make it look as badass as I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom