• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz_RB

Anyone else met (returning character spoiler)
Letho yet? Broing out and slaying dudes together was one of the coolest gaming moments I've had. Great quest.

RK9039

Thanks to Jim's table, disabling the HUD is so easy now.

witcher32015-05-2023-91o67.png

witcher32015-05-2023-0tqn2.png

I wish you could just buy something like a starter pack for each Gwent faction. I'm never willingly going to buy 22 cards at 10-50 coins a pop.

HeelPower

I agree on the timing part, but the randomness of animations and huge variance in distance/timing on each attack makes it so far from Bloodborne.

I don't see that. Definitely feels closer to Batman if only because of how Geralt moves.

In Batman games the objective is to kill as many possible,string enemies efficiently etc...

I don't feel that this game is pushing me to do that at all.I need to be more careful and strategic here.

The risk/reward factor is closer to Souls games than it is to Batman.It doesn't physically feel like souls though.

Braag

Yeah, the default armour looks amazing and its a long ass time before you get a decent looking set. I usually stick with good looking armour even if I have to take the hit in terms of stats. Witcher fashion is important.

The new Temerian armor which they released looks pretty awesome though it's expensive.

Verger

Banned
Sorry to ask since I'm sure it's been covered. But I'm wondering if my PC will run this ok.

Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

Is that good enough? Or should I go for the PS4 version?

I wish you could just buy something like a starter pack for each Gwent faction. I'm never willingly going to buy 22 cards at 10-50 coins a pop.

You can play random people, winning gives you a card. Got a few nice cards in my Scoia'tael deck already. Monster deck seems insanely overpowered compared to other decks. Dude drew a card and suddenly six monsters were on the battlefield.

No way in hell would I say one of these is more obviously a cross gen engine over the other in blind guess with screenshots.

Like what am I missing on visuals alone that makes you think this looks like it had a different generation in mind?

There is a generational difference in lighting alone between the two games, not to mention a generational gap between character models

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone found red mutagens? Not seen a single one.

Qassim

Sorry to ask since I'm sure it's been covered. But I'm wondering if my PC will run this ok.
Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

You have a 970, the answer should be obvious. Unless something has gone horribly wrong, your 970 will give you a better experience pretty much every time and your CPU is still good.

I was really hoping to bone the herbalist. No such luck.

Does anyone know if
the girl survived after she was given swallow? I went back but she was still laying there and no new dialog options with sexy herb girl.

Edit: Scratch that.
Wait for resolution later in the game. My quest journal hints that you will see the conclusion of this quest later.

Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

Not even a question. I have a newer processor than you but my 970 runs it maxed at 1080p/60fps, with two settings on high.

Question about an Act 1 quest rewarded from the Barron
Okay, so killed the tree, went with the Barron into the swap, he said hes gonna take his wife to the blue mountain
Do I not get any coin after all that bull?

hate to quote my own post but im in need of coin

I'm seriously leaning towards picking this up today for PS4 as I got a $100 Visa GC from my boss the other day and it's burning a hole in my pocket but I'm curious if I'll enjoy it as a "1st time player"

I bought the 2nd day 1 but I only got about 10 hours into it. Not sure why it didn't connect with me as I love more mature themed fantasy and sci fi but it just really bored me to death.

Perhaps it was partially the combat which didn't do much for me. The world also felt really small for some reason. I was playing Red Dead for the first time when I picked up Witcher so maybe I unfairly compared the two.

--Do I have to know about all the previous lore or will a quick read up suffice?
--Is the combat improved from the 2nd one? Do they sufficiently tutor you on how to use magic, etc?
--If one of my main complaints was world size, is the new larger world filled with enough to do to stifle that complaint?
--Am I waaaaayyyy over thinking it and should I just jump and appreciate that manliness that is Geralt?

OmegaDL50

I need money soooo bad. Any tips?

When selling equipment and whatnot. Don't sell gear to a single merchant entirely.

I have found from personal experience that merchants generally give you more money if you sell them the items they deal in.

For example Bram the merchant in White Orchard (the guy you saved from the Griffin attack) It is pointless to sell him weapons and armor or blacksmith stuff.

A rusted sword for example he would give me 2 to 3 Gold.

However the Dwarven Blacksmith Willis gives me like 4 to 5 Gold instead.

Also Willis won't even take Alchemical reagents like the flowers and plants you pick, However the Alchemist, will give you money for these.

Look at a merchants inventory to see what items they deal with and that should give you a good idea on what items to sell to them to get the you the highest coin value for your old stuff you sell off.

Chitown B

somehow bar fights after cutscenes start with all the enemies having their swords out and you don't. So you hit the D-pad and your sword doesn't come out because they hit, hit, hit you and then you're dead. Great coding.

Verger

Banned

Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

You have a 970, the answer should be obvious. Unless something has gone horribly wrong, your 970 will give you a better experience pretty much every time and your CPU is still good.
Not even a question. I have a newer processor than you but my 970 runs it maxed at 1080p/60fps, with two settings on high.
Thanks! Yeah I bought the GPU back when the model came out last year. I was more concerned about my CPU and RAM since they are a couple years old now.

Nbz

Quick question folks, I have imported my save file from Witcher 2, but I just realised that the save file is from before the final battle with
Letho
, and I don't know if there is any way to have a save file after that (i.e. once the game has been fully beaten).

Is there any way to get a finished save file, or can we just assume that the final battle isn't going to be a part of Witcher 3, therefore a save right before it is just fine.

Frillen

I've run into a hilarious and major bug/glitch in Novigrad. Pretty much half of the people are walking around faceless with their arms raised outwards, like Christ's cross. And the ones that are in a movement just floats instead of walking.

so no experience from killing regular mobs/enemies. Even while on a quest? Whats the point of wasting your weapon durability if you end up not getting experience?

cresto

I've run into a hilarious and major bug/glitch in Novigrad. Pretty much half of the people are walking around faceless with their arms raised outwards, like Christ's cross. And the ones that are in a movement just floats instead of walking.

Sounds more like a nightmare...

OmegaDL50

Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

I have a i5 3570k
8GB of Ram
AMD HD7950

Your video card is naturally more powerful then mine, our CPU's are about on par. Ram is identical most likely.

I am running the game on Ultra @ solid 30 FPS minus Hairworks and both shadows and foliage are at high.

You WILL run the game better then my setup especially since the Witcher 3 is apparently more tailored for Nvidia graphics cards.

Quick question folks, I have imported my save file from Witcher 2, but I just realised that the save file is from before the final battle with
Letho
, and I don't know if there is any way to have a save file after that (i.e. once the game has been fully beaten).

Is there any way to get a finished save file, or can we just assume that the final battle isn't going to be a part of Witcher 3, therefore a save right before it is just fine.

Shit...I just realized that too.

Darkman M

Intel i7 2600K
8GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 970

I have the same cpu over locked to 4.3 and a 970 stock 16 GB of ram and I'm running it everything on Ultra with hair works at 40-50fps. With hairworks off I'd probably gain 15fps but I'm ok with playing under 60fps. If you want 60fps turn hairworks off.

so no experience from killing regular mobs/enemies. Even while on a quest? Whats the point of wasting your weapon durability if you end up not getting experience?

I think using a certain trophy makes enemies start giving a little exp, but someone else can probably confirm.

I find it really bizarre that enemies don't give you exp normally though. Reminds me a little of Lightning Returns and I hated it there, too.

I'm seriously leaning towards picking this up today for PS4 as I got a $100 Visa GC from my boss the other day and it's burning a hole in my pocket but I'm curious if I'll enjoy it as a "1st time player"

I bought the 2nd day 1 but I only got about 10 hours into it. Not sure why it didn't connect with me as I love more mature themed fantasy and sci fi but it just really bored me to death.

Perhaps it was partially the combat which didn't do much for me. The world also felt really small for some reason. I was playing Red Dead for the first time when I picked up Witcher so maybe I unfairly compared the two.

--Do I have to know about all the previous lore or will a quick read up suffice?
--Is the combat improved from the 2nd one? Do they sufficiently tutor you on how to use magic, etc?
--If one of my main complaints was world size, is the new larger world filled with enough to do to stifle that complaint?
--Am I waaaaayyyy over thinking it and should I just jump and appreciate that manliness that is Geralt?
- No you don't. Although reading up or watching recap videos is highly recommended to get the most out of the game. There will be name dropping and references which are not essential to fully grasp the game but they will enhance your experience. After all it is the third installment in a lore rich series based on books.
- Yes, it has improved a lot. Tutorial is also much better than in the previous game.
- There is a fuckton to do. And nearly everything is top notch quality. No Ubisoft collectathons or Inquisition fetchshit here.
- No you are right for being cautious. This game is not for everyone but the one thing you cannot deny is that CDProjekt has put its heart and soul into this game. I can only encourage you to give it a chance.

erawsd

- No, quick read up will suffice.

- Yes, drastically. Its still not a game where you go in hackin and slashing with a sword and come out feeling fine. You have to prepare, read the bestiary, and use every tool (potions, signs, bombs) you've got to exploit enemies weaknesses. Its action combat that still has a lot of RPG in its DNA.

- Game is massive and full of things to do, lots of RDR vibes while managing to keep the great quest design of previous witcher games.

- I cant tell you if you'll like the game or not, but I sure do. It does have technical issues that need to be patched, so if you have a low tolerance for that type of thing you may want to wait a little bit for more patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom