• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Tried it twice now (had the sense to save manually before the second attempt) and each time I hit triangle it crashes.
Weird seeing all these complaints about the gwent tutorial. I was lucky I guess, because I had no problem. I had no idea that section was a problem until I came on here.

LeBart

I just got to the quest shown at E3. Remember whe they guy said "Novigrad is 14 times further away than that huge tree"?

Either they cut most of the map, or they don't know how to count... It's more like 4 or 5 times. :/

That's nitpicking. The map is big enough as it is.

Tenebrous

Anyone else enjoying the game more as a game than as a Witcher fan? The new combat/potion system is dampening my enjoyment & immersion, to be honest.

Any impressions from people who didnt like Witcher 1 or 2?

This is my first Witcher game. Its fun, the side quests are meaningful which is rare (Much better than: Go to crypt, kill one bad guy, complete quest dialogue for your reward). They each feel important and have stories that you care about and may impact you. The fact that there is so much grey area and a blur of right and wrong (helping someone out who may in fact be a murderer who lied to you or similar things) is great.

Currently I'm having trouble making money (I'm on the BloodBones difficulty) which is making upgrading weapons difficult. I'm not sure the way around this. I am okay with upkeep systems (repair) but it seems that you often have to go repair which takes it toll on your money.

Not as much "sex" as there was rumored to be. There was one scene with nudity although it was decently tasteful and it was more about helping the player understand Geralt's relationship.

Combat is pretty good imo. Its challenging and punishes the player who is looking to play this as a "mashing" action-rpg. Tactics and planning are definitely required (for instance I am currently trying to upgrade my weapons because I couldn't kill a Were-wolf....leading to this loop). I definitely like the challenge. One note is that you can't depend on Geralt to pull out the current weapon all the time. If you do the enemies will occasionally hit you before you can block in time.

My major complaint is loading times. I'm on PS4 and it seriously takes 60 seconds+ everytime I die. There are some frame rate problems occasionally (frame rate is not that important to me) which may be distracting if you are the type who hates that.

But seriously people... how do I make money? I can't beat the werewolf in the second zone (I'm almost level 4). I get his health down before he
uses his regen at which point I can't beat out his healing per second
. I need to upgrade my weapon but Emerald dust is 500+gold.

DOWN

Banned
Is there no way to get the names over every rabbit and peasant to turn off? It sort of ruins HUD-less play.
Is that on consoles? My game looks faaaar better than that, though I am on PC

Idk, I'm playing on PC so my game doesn't look like ass like that screenshot. That screenshot looks like the game on lowest settings in all honesty.

Lol the response is "well mine doesn't look like that"

Console vs console visuals, it don't look so hot to me and in my PS4 experiences.

Those are both PS4, and one has much worse foliage with very little AO, so even in consideration of scale, that poor impression will be made on me since we've already had a few games with good open world foliage this gen. Sure, I'll play on and understand that scale is a factor, but that doesn't mean I get to stop seeing disappointing visuals. It looks frequently worse in the foliage and environment department than a cross gen game from over a year and a half before it.

There is a generational difference in lighting alone between the two games, not to mention a generational gap between character models

There's like no AO and lots of missing shadows/depth in W3, and for being over a year and a half newer and current gen only, the character models (which I already praised in my earlier post) don't turn the tide for the whole visual impression.

You can move the HUD right to the edges by changing uiVerticalFrameScale and uiHorizontalFrameScale in settings.ini
Very useful while playing in 4:3 or 16:10 aspect ratios. Something like 1.05 for 4:3, 1.02 for 16.10 for vertical.

Can I make potions or does someone do it for me? I feel like I'm picking up SO MUCH shit and I can't make anything.
You need to find or buy diagrams. Edit: Oh you mean in general? Yes, open the alchemy panel.

This is my first Witcher game. Its fun, the side quests are meaningful which is rare (Much better than: Go to crypt, kill one bad guy, complete quest dialogue for your reward). They each feel important and have stories that you care about and may impact you. The fact that there is so much grey area and a blur of right and wrong (helping someone out who may in fact be a murderer who lied to you or similar things) is great.

Currently I'm having trouble making money (I'm on the BloodBones difficulty) which is making upgrading weapons difficult. I'm not sure the way around this. I am okay with upkeep systems (repair) but it seems that you often have to go repair which takes it toll on your money.

Not as much "sex" as there was rumored to be. There was one scene with nudity although it was decently tasteful and it was more about helping the player understand Geralt's relationship.

Combat is pretty good imo. Its challenging and punishes the player who is looking to play this as a "mashing" action-rpg. Tactics and planning are definitely required (for instance I am currently trying to upgrade my weapons because I couldn't kill a Were-wolf....leading to this loop). I definitely like the challenge. One note is that you can't depend on Geralt to pull out the current weapon all the time. If you do the enemies will occasionally hit you before you can block in time.

My major complaint is loading times. I'm on PS4 and it seriously takes 60 seconds+ everytime I die. There are some frame rate problems occasionally (frame rate is not that important to me) which may be distracting if you are the type who hates that.

But seriously people... how do I make money? I can't beat the werewolf in the second zone (I'm almost level 4). I get his health down before he
Use Igni on the wolf.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Welp, time for me to wait for another 20 or so hours before I can play again. Goodnight Geralt. I'll miss you and Roach. lol

RK9039

Anyone else fight that
Wyvern in Lornruk
? it was funniest thing in the game so far, made it land right in the room below and trapped it.

Can I make potions or does someone do it for me? I feel like I'm picking up SO MUCH shit and I can't make anything.

Yes you make them yourself. Go to the alchemy section and see what you're missing.

I'm sure I missed a better way but the bit where you're walking with a character and have to stay within a protected area against beasts, Geralt's wild and imprecise attack animation immediately throws you outside the protected range and your health gets pummeled. It took me forever to get through that part.

Killer

Banned
I'm having a hard time leveling up. I just got to
Velen
and the main quest suggest level 5. Can't find any side quests >_>

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
There's like no AO and lots of missing shadows/depth in W3, and for being over a year and a half newer and current gen only, the character models (which I already praised in my earlier post) don't turn the tide for the whole visual impression.
Huh? If anything I find the AO in the PS4 version too heavy. For better and worse it's very noticeable, it certainly can't be accused of lacking AO.

I think there is emerald dust in that cave you are stuck in.

Make sure you go to all the question marks in the first zone to pick up armor, weapon blueprints and sell off the weapons you find.

Craft the Swallow potion so you can stop buying food or water.

I liked W1 and 2, mostly, but I never found them interesting enough to finish to completion. I didn't dislike them enough to actively stop playing... one day I put the controller down and they just sort of faded from interest, and I never got back to them. I suspect this one will have the same fate with me.

QP3

Yeah. Tried it twice now (had the sense to save manually before the second attempt) and each time I hit triangle it crashes.

Ahh this sucks. Mine crashed the first time literally as soon as you gain control of Geralt in bedroom, but hasn't been a problem since.

Megasoum

Banned
So apparently on console if you hold the start button it actually goes directly into the map? I just tried on PC (using a XB1 controller) and it doesn't seem to work.

So I was playing the game and died, tried to load from the most recent save but it wouldn't load after a few minutes. So I closed the game and tried to play it again. No it just sitting at the title screen saying "Please wait". I'm playing the Xbox One version anyone know what's up?

Tacitus_

Whew, made it to Skellig. Boat ride was a tad costly, but luckily I had scrounged together almost 3k crowns. Do those monster contracts people! Easy (well maybe not) 250+ coins for each job

I can't get the crossbow to shoot, I have it equipped with bolts but pressing or holding down RB does nothing.

Have you made it active from the sign wheel?

Where is the Vivaldi Bank? Map is big, I am trying to find it.
So apparently on console if you hold the start button it actually goes directly into the map? I just tried on PC (using a XB1 controller) and it doesn't seem to work.

Yup, works on consoles like that.

Getting stun locked because every enemy in this game is on crack is infuriating, as is Geralt being incredibly finicky about getting into his gotdamn combat stance. It's unfortunate that the Red Dead Redemption comparisons also extend to the sluggish controls/animations.

Also: Weight and durability in a game where you're constantly being flooded with items continue to be some of the worst RPG systems ever. The inventory meta-game is such a gigantic waste of time.

DOWN

Banned
Huh? If anything I find the AO in the PS4 version too heavy. For better and worse it's very noticeable, it certainly can't be accused of lacking AO.

I'm having trouble identifying it then I guess. I think graphically it looks dated and AO was what I thought was a factor in that impression, but feel free to help me find accurate terms.

anDQ7ir.jpg

red36

Neo Member

I Completed 1 and 2. They are both great games, 3 is turning out great as well. 3 is reminding me of 1 in that its difficult to pick up, but it's all the better for it.

Wish some of the music from 1 would come back in 3.

Yeul

I just finished the main storyline of the game and wow it was an emotional rollercoaster. Just when you think it's the end of the game, it just keeps going. There were multiple times where I thought that the climax of the game was happening but it was like one after another. More people need to finish the storyline so I can talk about it lol. The entire plotline with Ciri and
Avallac'h
was incredible I live for that kind of lore.
Avallac'h
quickly became one of my favorite characters. Also sidenote, riding your boat in Skellige with the instrumental playing and seeing (landmark spoiler)
Tor Gvalch'ca
in the distance is just super bittersweet because you know how important it is. Honestly there were so many wonderful quests favorites def being
where Geralt, Eskel, and Lambart get drunk as hell and dressed up in Yennefer's dresses and use her megascope
Throught Time and Space (because wow at the alternate worlds)
, and of course the entire final act of the game. I felt an incredible sense of wonder while playing this, it was so good.

I like the way it looks.

So you're the guy they keep putting it in games for :p

I'm having trouble identifying it then I guess. I think graphically it looks dated and AO was what I thought was a factor in that impression, but feel free to help me find accurate terms.

anDQ7ir.jpg

What's the source for that shot? Clearly it isn't rendering any grass shadows there which is leaving things obviously disconnected. I've seen grass shadows numerous times on PS4 so if that isn't from a PC with the shadows for grass turned off then it's a bug. Typically the game looks better than that.

I like the way it looks.

I'm so glad you didn't develop this game. :p

But in all seriousness, I think it's used very subtly on consoles, to the point where you can only notice it if you zoom in on certain objects at the edge of the screen. Which begs the question why even use it at all?

M.W.

I just finished the main storyline of the game and wow it was an emotional rollercoaster. Just when you think it's the end of the game, it just keeps going. There were multiple times where I thought that the climax of the game was happening but it was like one after another. More people need to finish the storyline so I can talk about it lol. The entire plotline with Ciri and
Avallac'h
was incredible I live for that kind of lore.
Avallac'h
quickly became one of my favorite characters. Also sidenote, riding your boat in Skellige with the instrumental playing and seeing (landmark spoiler)
Tor Gvalch'ca
in the distance is just super bittersweet because you know how important it is. Honestly there were so many wonderful quests favorites def being
where Geralt, Eskel, and Lambart get drunk as hell and dressed up in Yennefer's dresses and use her megascope
Throught Time and Space (because wow at the alternate worlds)
, and of course the entire final act of the game. I felt an incredible sense of wonder while playing this, it was so good.

Total playtime?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Anyone having trouble "locking on" to bosses. It just doesn't seem like Geralt is (there is no lock on indicator). Makes some of the fights more tedious than they need to be.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Getting stun locked because every enemy in this game is on crack is infuriating, as is Geralt being incredibly finicky about getting into his gotdamn combat stance. It's unfortunate that the Red Dead Redemption comparisons also extend to the sluggish controls/animations.

I've had to overcome this bullcrap by always starting every fight with a dodge backward (Souls-style) otherwise he always gets popped right in the beginning.

Dodging gives him time to get his weapon out.

I've also completely given up on lock-on... it's easier to play without it, since the lock-on so often randomly disengages adding jank. I only lock in 1v1 now. It helps.

I love how his "quick" attack is him spinning around like a dipshit. And takes ten fucking years to land a hit, if he even connects. It doesn't even look cool, so I don't understand their thinking. Maybe if the spin was the second or third swing in a combo, but as an opener? So stupid.

Ozigizo

Uh, anyone else on PS4 have their game freeze while trying to edit a Gwent deck? The passing crash doesn't seem to happen, but trying to edit my deck does it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So you're the guy they keep putting it in games for :p

Tastefully done chromatic aberration is so yummy. Some developers just don't know how to use it correctly.

The Order used it perfectly and it looked amazing but then you have games like Dying Light which just look horrible with it on.

Quick question, my Geralt has some ugly purple face paint all of a sudden, I have no idea how it got there but it looks really stupid. I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I noticed it after talking to the herbalist in the first area. I'm not sure if that's what caused it somehow, but I noticed it immediately after talking to her. There's like purple streaks going down his face.

I'm pretty sure I didn't equip anything that should have done this. Anyone else have this happen and know how to stop it?

viveks86

Man, I can't stop looking at this shot. The amount of detail is just staggering!

witcher32015-05-2015-46-01-18.png

I finally figured out how CascadeShadowDistanceScale works. Might make a more detailed post on it later.

Courage

For those that reached the Honor Among Thieves sidequest:

Anyone else not able to find the King of Beggars to collect your reward? I follow the minimap and it takes me to an empty alley with no one there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom