• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the lore explanation for every bum with a sword suddenly becoming a master at parrying attacks between Witcher 2 and 3?

Seriously though, it's pretty ridiculous. Every human fight feels like the Scoiatel fights in W2. That's not a compliment.

So what's the lore explanation for every bum with a sword suddenly becoming a master at parrying attacks between Witcher 2 and 3?

Seriously though, it's pretty ridiculous. Every human fight feels like the Scoiatel fights in W2. That's not a compliment.

Side step, kill a bum with a sword. Repeat.
No, don't push that attack button all the time.

THRILLH0

Banned
Is there a more universally reviled game mechanic than encumberance?

I don't understand why developers keep putting in their games without a toggle. I know some people are into it but it seems the overwhelming majority just hate it.

GlamFM

Banned
I just left
white orchard
. Up until now I thought the entire game was in
white orchard

WHAT A GAME!

Quick qustion. It seems I´m stll playing version 1.01 on my PS4.

Isn´t 1.02 the current version?

Has the patch not been deployed in europe yet?

aku:jiki

The war is the lore explanation. The bandits are mostly deserters, i.e. trained soldiers, and not just desperate farmers looking to make a quick crown.

I don't understand why developers keep putting in their games without a toggle. I know some people are into it but it seems the overwhelming majority just hate it.
Encumbrance can have the positive effect of teaching you to manage your inventory and learn what each item does so you know what you need or not.

I will vote for fall damage as the most useless mechanic ever. It has never made any game more fun in any way.

I just left
white orchard
white orchard

WHAT A GAME!

i thought 1.02 was still undergoing certification.

viveks86

I don't think I'm ever going to complete this game o_O

witcher32015-05-2100-58-25-88a944e.png

witcher32015-05-2100-49-26-14.png

witcher32015-05-2100-51-18-79.png

I know most hate it, but it encourages me to not hang on to a bunch of worthless shit. As long as the limit isn't too small then I think it's fine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't mind with stuff like weapon/armor management but having the metric shit ton of ingredients all have small weights that add up are usually what send it over the top.

Arcayne

In the middle of the Baron storyline and about 5 hours in. Anyways, the flashback bit with Ciri was amazing. Her character design and dodge mechanic is so damn good.

I just left
white orchard
white orchard

WHAT A GAME!

i thought 1.02 was still undergoing certification.

PC is 1.02 in-game.
I doubt there's any major differences though. Perhaps console 1.01 is the PC's 1.02.

This! Don't mash the attack button and flail wildly. Wait for the opening, or create one by either rolling (uses stamina), dodging (no stamina, but doesn't move as far - leaves you closer for a follow up attack though), or parrying attacks if Bloodborne turned you into a pro.

Notice how I didn't say I was having difficulty with it - because I'm aware how to play the game. :)
I was implying that it feels more tedious than the previous game. I don't recall anyone ever saying "boy I wish every human fight was like the Scoiatel fights in W2!", but alas, here we are..
The war is the lore explanation. The bandits are mostly deserters, i.e. trained soldiers, and not just desperate farmers looking to make a quick crown.
Nope, I've fought farmers parrying with their pitchforks. :p

New tips I just learned if you are playing on Xbox one or with an xb1 controller. Holding the menu button allows you to go straight to the map. While holding left trigger you can switch signs by pressing left or right on the d pad.

HeelPower

Guys..something's driving me crazy..

I don't know what the noticeboard does!It's not adding anything to my quests and its making me feel dumb.

I feel like I am missing a lot of stuff...Its frustrating.Am not OCD usually :/

Should I turn l just turn all the "?" off the map

New tips I just learned if you are playing on Xbox one or with an xb1 controller. Holding the menu button allows you to go straight to the map. While holding left trigger you can switch signs by pressing left or right on the d pad.

i figured out that you can go straight to the world map on the ps4 if you swipe the touch pad up or down while pressing and holding the touch pad takes you to your inventory.

bombshell

I don't know what the noticeboard does!It's not adding anything to my quests and its making me feel dumb.

There's two sizes of notes on the boards. The large notes are quests, the small ones are just lore for that area.

First time you visit a specific board it adds ? points to the map in that area.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't get these comments that show up all the time when people mod things as if there was an ultimate saying on what you should do with the game

let the dude mod away. cool that new things are popping up

I didn't mean to rack down on the guy, of course he can mod his game to be superhero Geralt if he wants to! It's not something I would do, at least not for a first playthrough. Can't see how getting 3x the skill points wouldn't make you way OP rather quickly. But again, if you consider that a good way to play the game, no argument here!

Out of interest, does the game keep track of what you've modded and such? Like, do you still get the achievement for completing the game on Death March even if you've made that significantly easier than it is meant to be?

HeelPower

There's two sizes of notes on the boards. The large notes are quests, the small ones are just lore for that area.

Thanks omg...I kept looking for that Nilfgardian language teacher or whatever...lol

How are people complaining about endurance? I have like 4 extra swords, multiple side weapons, 3 armor sets, and all other sorts of random shit and I'm at 40/60. Get the saddle bags if you need them.

slash3584

Are those ? marks quests or are they random things like monster nests and stuff like that?

Moff

the size of this game is incredible. never have I felt as overwhelmed as in this game.
and the best part is, in other games the mini quests that are only a mark on the map are super dumb stuff to do. like collecting viewpoints or collectibles as in Dragon Age: Inquisition, but in witcher 3 these mini quests actually have their own secrets and locations. they feel unique and often lead to other, real qests. the amount of content and the quality attached to it is simply unbelievable, just wow.

I also absolutely love to play gwent, I play a game against every player I find.

biggest problem of the game are certainly the controls, especially under water. the diving controls in this game are probably the worst controls I ever encountered in any game, I am serious.

I am not really down with the level progrss either. do we really need new level 5 quests on the edge of the world? I really love to encounter a level 30 enemy early in the game, so I have to get back later and kill him. but I am not too fond of fighting completely underleveled enemies later in the game. it's a bold game design decision.

but still, amazing game. by far the most believable world ever created in game in my opinion, and with the amount of content and it's quality, I can easily see witcher 3 become one of the best RPGs of all time. I really feel they have looked at many other RPGs in the last decaded and decided to take the best from them.

JambiBum

So for anyone that was worried about selling your early armor/swords and not being able to upgrade to the better versions later, the only thing that you need from that original set is the white shirt. You end up being able to just forge the swords if you find the right side quest. The side quest leads you to the new gear.

aravuus

Fuck, crashed in the inventory. Guess the fixes didn't help for that, then.

Well, hopefully it'll at least only crash in the inventory for now, won't lose progress if I remember to save every time I open it lol

HeelPower

Armour design in general is a huge step backwards from The Witcher 2. I don't dislike them as much as some others, but there seems to be a lot of obvious mesh recycling with a new texture.

Bur I thought TW2 clearly had such obvious recycling and some of the designs were so tacky.

I really like the armor designs.They look especially good in cutscenes as well.

I know I'm nowhere near the end (only level 7) but I already think this game might be the best execution of an open-world game with a tight main story line focus I've ever seen, that's why it reminds me of RDR because that's probably the previous title that did it best.

Its story/character interaction/dialogue is better than Bioware and its open world exploration is better than Bethesda. I think people will be talking about this game for a very long time, it's a landmark achievement like GTA3 was for the open world genre. And this is from someone who didn't really like TW1 or TW2, I thought those were ambitious but ultimately severely flawed games, but the third time is the charm for CDPR apparently.

Jebral

Damnit, does the mere presence of the beard DLC kill your beard growth? I have the shaved sides / ponytail haircut and clean shaved... And it's been days in game and I still have no beard :-/

I thought it was just using a custom beard that stopped it. Or maybe using a non-standard haircut kills beard growth? Ugh.

FML, why me, etc.

Damnit, does the mere presence of the beard DLC kill your beard growth? I have the shaved sides / ponytail haircut and clean shaved... And it's been days in game and I still have no beard :-/

I thought it was just using a custom beard that stopped it. Or maybe using a non-standard haircut kills beard growth? Ugh.

FML, why me, etc.

no beard growth is what the devs did to pirated copies of the game :|

lol jk

Banzai

I have to say, this game is hitting all the right spots for me. A well done open world, too.

I see a lot of people dont like the combat, but I think it's pretty good. I'm playing on hard (or blood and bones or whatever) and I love that I actually have to prepare for fights by reading bestiary entries, brewing potions/ oils and making bombs. I could pretty much ignore Alchemy and crafting in W1 and 2, but I don't think I'd get very far in this one without them.

As for the combat itself, I think it works pretty well. Brainless left clicking will get you killed quickly, the two different ways to dodge give good movement options, Signs are absolutely vital for crowd control and duels against stronger foes and parrying counter attacks feel good.
My only gripe is that sometimes when I lock onto an enemy the game loses that lock. I can deal with it though.

Wild At Heart quest spoilers:
I am preparing to fight the werewolf right now. I am missing one wolfsbane to make the cursed oil, but I'll probably find it with some herbalist. what I need is the diagrams to make the bombs required to fight it. I am hoping one of them will counteract its crazy health regeneration.
So, Silver Bombs and Dancing stars, where to find the schematics?

Notice how I didn't say I was having difficulty with it - because I'm aware how to play the game. :)
I was implying that it feels more tedious than the previous game. I don't recall anyone ever saying "boy I wish every human fight was like the Scoiatel fights in W2!", but alas, here we are..

Nope, I've fought farmers parrying with their pitchforks. :p

Ah, pardon me then.
I've only realized your point after reading it again. I do agree that they now can parry, but they're not that really good I think. My first fast attack always hit them, they usually start parrying on my 2nd or 3rd blow and onwards. I'm on the 2nd hardest difficulty, btw, if that matters.

I'm also seriously considering turning off the question marks on the map.
However, I might miss all of those neat loots and more importantly places of power. I'm so torn.

viveks86

I can't believe how good the graphics are some times. It really is a CG movie at times.

Also the hair effects are pretty nice as well.

Seriously, I'm finding the scripted cut scenes the least impressive at this point. The gameplay looks leagues ahead! Kind of ironic. I'm guessing it's because the devs dedicates all their time in making the engine rather than setting up perfect scenes for scripted sequences. There are way too many of them, I suppose.

Chariot

Seriously, I'm finding the scripted cut scenes the least impressive at this point.
I don't know, I am 14 hours in and still in awe when I see the detailed clothes so close.
I mean, the hands are pretty clunky, but that armos is godly.
argh wasted a decent amount of gold buying some armor and then find it in a random chest while exploring the world lol
This is basically why I rarely buy eqipment in RPGs. You buy it and five later you find a equal or better one.

Shahadan

I'm still in white orchard, don't want to leave the place, but is the gold situation better later?

Right now I have to sell like ten swords at 4 coins each to even pay for my steel sword repairs :x

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So for anyone that was worried about selling your early armor/swords and not being able to upgrade to the better versions later, the only thing that you need from that original set is the white shirt. You end up being able to just forge the swords if you find the right side quest. The side quest leads you to the new gear.

The smith in the baron's hovel had one white shirt for me which you'll need for the chest piece. The rest of the armour/swords don't need starting gear. Finally got all my griffin gear/swords. Took forever to find a journeymen blacksmith.

Chariot

I'm still in white orchard, don't want to leave the place, but is the gold situation better later?

Right now I have to sell like ten swords at 4 coins each to even pay for my steel sword repairs :x
I am poor as fuck, but there are more bandits to kill and rob, if that helps :D
Geeez I love this game! For me that's best game of this generation so far.

What's you prediction to sale: 3mil, 5mil, more?
INFINITE millions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom