• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

froliq

Has anyone been able to get the stuff underwater near the Nilfgaurd dudes in White Orchard? Every time I try drowners get me as Im coming back up, I stopped trying.
I just swam to the treasure, grabbed it and headed straight for land. Didn't give me anything worthwhile.

RDreamer

Out of town for work...

Remote play has never been this good!

It is a bit tricky trying to use the touchpad for R2 and L2, though. Tried swapping buttons with the PS4, but that wasn't working. Anyone know if you have to reset a game for that to work?

Chitown B

wow combat really is pretty shitty. The camera won't follow the next enemy you need to hit so you end up swinging at air away from them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
w1etsyt.png

Uh question, i picked up every quest from the board well at least i got every paper of it but i only seems to give me two quests? Is this normal? Or are some of em just simple notes.
I'm not 100% sure cause I never just interacted with a notice board and didn't take anything, but I think the ones that aren't actual quests add the question marks to the world map maybe? Not sure if just simply interacting with the board does that or not, but I always figured grabbing the notices is what revealed the question marks as places for Geralt to check out based on what he read.

wow combat really is pretty shitty. The camera won't follow the next enemy you need to hit so you end up swinging at air away from them.

I have a tolerance for the combat mechanics and animations, but the camera is truelly shit in this game. Even traversing the landscapes (a great selling point of these kind of games) is just demanding.

Apt101

Fascinated by this game. Never played anything quite like it. There are moments of deep, layered and involved story telling built into the open world that I don't remember quite seeing before. Perhaps GTA 5 came close, but this is something else. It's like a well-formed single player game that just happens to be in an open world.

I really like the combat. Grunts and simple beasts to take on, but also having to read up on bestiary and prepare for other enemies - sometimes avoiding a fight completely to still win thanks to the integrated story.

Really liking this. It does seem a bit difficult even on normal - but then, I find many games hard as I grow older.

Edit: I guess I'm saying the game makes me feel like Sherlock Holmes: Supernatural Hunter. And the challenge is deep enough to make me think - even if the challenge can be attributed to a wonky camera and imprecise controls at times.

check your menu sensivity.....

I have right stick sensitivity down to the minimum. I would have less sensitivity thatn that if I had the choice. But i don;t think that is the main problem, the culprit here the auto camera system, well they done fucked that one up.

Warablo

This is one of my biggest gripes so far. There's a serious "inventory overload" even super early in the game, and that's never a good thing.

Rather than labeling so many items "crafting components," I'd like to know exactly what I can craft with those items rather than having to constantly go back and forth to the Crafting/Alchemy screens.

Plus I don't think you get any storage area in the game. You will have to just drop the items on the ground or sell them.

Chitown B

check your menu sensivity.....

has nothing to do with it. Geralt doesn't move fast enough as a human to lock on to the next enemy who is double teaming you and even if you can do that, the camera won't swing around automatically, so you have to reverse your controls to backward in order to attack them.

Has anyone been able to get the stuff underwater near the Nilfgaurd dudes in White Orchard? Every time I try drowners get me as Im coming back up, I stopped trying.

Yea, I just kept away from them and used the
crossbow
. If you haven't fought the boss of white orchard, you probably won't have this yet though.

Really enjoying the game, hit a few frustrating bugs though, in both areas I've been too. In White Orchard, there's an abandoned settlement that just won't spawn the ghouls for me to defeat them and clear the area. In Velen, I kiled a bunch of lvl 10 bandits which was tooough for my level, and they didn't drop the key I needed to free the prisoner. Cool game though, for sure. I loved the witcher 2, and the open world does a really good job of allowing you to simulate the actual job of being a witcher, and witnessing how horrible Geralt's world is. It's not a pure joy to explore the same way Skyrim or Fallout is, and in that I think CDPR made silly mistakes going on about it being 2-3 times bigger than skyrim in that regard, but it serves purposes that really compliment the story and the world they want to make you believe in.

RulkezX

So tired this morning :)

I can understand some of the criticisms, and agree with a lot of them ( swimming, camera switching in combat) but noone of them are serious enough to detract from how much fun in having with the game. I still think it looks amazing as well.

Regarding the 2 locked chests in White Orchid...

Where the fuck are the keys, I've cleared the map and can't find them

The
Griffin
took me a fair amount of tries, but nothing too unfair there. Once I learned a good pattern for attacking it became easy.

I like it. Tough but fair.

Semper88

I have right stick sensitivity down to the minimum. I would have less sensitivity thatn that if I had the choice. But i don;t think that is the main problem, the culprit here the auto camera system, well they done fucked that one up.

Next to that, I hate it how the lock-on cam has such a short distance. It unlocks so fast... having some trouble with the combat too, doesn't feel as smooth and swinging in thin air happens alot to me haha. I'm just like 2 hours in so i might need to get used to it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Returning character quest spoiler

Letho's quest really did something for me. I liked Letho quite a lot from my time in Witcher 2. I remember the very first Witcher 2 trailer "Bow low, you stand before a head crowned". I also remember the music from that trailer quite well, which came to be the Witcher 2 main theme. So, as he laid there presumably dead, I was a bit sad. Of course, it was a ploy. Then the piano rendition of The Witcher 2 theme, which is basically his theme, started playing, and I couldn't help but get a big smile across my face as he woke up.

Well done, CDPR .

I don't think there is anything as satisfying as chopping someone in half from horseback when riding at full gallop. The way the game slows down and speeds up again during swings makes for such a nice spectacle.
started the game on the hardest difficulty. Freaking ghouls kicked my ass, lol.
Don't use rolling when fighting multiple enemies. Stuff gets easier when you dodge and slash, dodge and slash. Using all your abilities like signs. bombs and oils is also necessary on higher difficulties.

I wish the majority of the quests were not just question marks on the map... I go to a board to get some quests, and it just adds a bunch of question marks to the map, which are basically either nests, loot, or bandit camps, with the rare exception of an actual quest.

Hah! The first trophy I got was a silver one.
Pretty fun to get, too. It was
"Butcher of Blaviken"
http://i.imgur.com/StAYCyg.jpg (Not embedding the image because of minor trophy spoilers, probably.)

That image also is a good demonstration of the size difference between the PS4's UI text and the game's text.
Nevermind. Forgot I had the HUD set to small. Not that it makes much of a difference except for the minimap.

Jolkien

Hah just noticed something nice. When fighting groups of ennemies if you put an ennemy buffer between you and one of ranged one, they will kill their friends trying to hit you :)

bombshell

What's the red hammer(?) icon I see in the inventory? Does it mean faster durability drop?

It means the weapon/armor piece has started to degrade, by the amount of points besides the hammer. I think the degradation starts around 75% durability. Repair it to get it back to full strength.

I'd like to know this. It doesn't seem to relate to anything on the stats page of the the weapons I'm comparing

Means it's doing less damage because it's damaged. For eg: -2 in red would be it's doing 2 less than when fully repaired. Repair the item and it will do full damage.

Well that's how I think it is.

alouette

Anyone else noticing this bug:
When I use the resume feature on XboxOne, it won't let me save in further processes.
I tried this with installing the game on the internal hd, but the result is the same on the external hd.
Even more strange is, after this bug appears, all other games I start won't let me use my savegames. All other games are stuck then on the title-screen, where normally the menu appears to start the game or proceed at the last savegame...

Only thing that works for me is to close the witcher game completely after playing or I will have to do a full restart on my Xbox...

TheKeyPit

Banned
Anyone else noticing this bug:
When I use the resume feature on XboxOne, it won't let me save in further processes.
I tried this with installing the game on the internal hd, but the result is the same on the external hd.
Even more strange is, after this bug appears, all other games I start won't let me use my savegames. All other games are stuck then on the title-screen, where normally the menu appears to start the game or proceed at the last savegame...

Only thing that works for me is to close the witcher game completely after playing or I will have to do a full restart on my Xbox...

I've mentioned a lot of pages back that suspend-and-resume could lead to that effect in The Witcher 3. Best to not use it at the moment.
+ http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/36o4vt/psa_your_witcher_3_save_file_can_and_will_become/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
w1d0lz1.png

yo stop hating on my picnic blanket

RulkezX

Are any of the abilities passive (for example sun and stars or the ability to parry arrows) or are we limited to the 3 that are active until we open another slot at lvl 9?

Given how slow the leveling is compared to how quickly you get ability points......

Semper88

Are any of the abilities passive (for example sun and stars or the ability to parry arrows) or are we limited to the 3 that are active until we open another slot at lvl 9?

Given how slow the leveling is compared to how quickly you get ability points......

I took the sun and stars and the vit boost. they are passive. only two i've got so far since i'm lvl 3 :p

Apt101

Next to that, I hate it how the lock-on cam has such a short distance. It unlocks so fast... having some trouble with the combat too, doesn't feel as smooth and swinging in thin air happens alot to me haha. I'm just like 2 hours in so i might need to get used to it.

By the time I fought my second pack drowners and multiplying wraith, I think I got along well enough to complete the game with no major gripes on normal. My largest issue with combat is the parry system - doesn't seem to time well, and parrying an attack seems like it leaves one open more than it should. I still think it's fine overall. Maybe a 2.5 out 5 on that part. The rest of the game so far has been a solid 5.

Frillen

Yes, you have to have the abilities in the slot three in order for them to have a function.

zkorejo

No passive abilites. Only active ones selected in the unlocked slots are useful.

You can use additional points to improve your already acquired abilities though. Love the Igni flamethrower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom