• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got two relic swords now, sailing will be smooth for a while hopefully. Got some nice crafted stuff lined up for hitting 10/12 too. Found a relic armor blueprint and luckily it was light, pretty happy about that. I think it's like level 24 though.
Still points in Yrden/Axii, hopefully next patch fixes Puppet being bugged in combat with the buffed stage 1 Axii (3/3). Also playing on Death March means NPC just one shot each other so I save 2 points!

Debating if I want infinite signs at the cost of 2 points and 2 slots. Might try it on a save if I find a respec potion and see how broken it is.
Are any of the abilities passive (for example sun and stars or the ability to parry arrows) or are we limited to the 3 that are active until we open another slot at lvl 9?

Given how slow the leveling is compared to how quickly you get ability points......
Pretty sure you need to slot everything.

I see so many people taking the regen skill, but it's not the point that's costly, it's the slot. I guess you could swap in and out though.

I'm picking absolutely everything up that I can including bits of Bush! Do we get told what items are more valuable and what we should keep? I don't know what to keep and what to sell? :(

Just finished 'Wandering In The Darkness', loved it.

There's something really likeable about Keira's character, in fact there's plenty of great characters in the game already. Even small characters have pretty good acting and dialogue.

That was a great quest but upset there was no sexy time with Keira.

Daffy Duck

So to 'lock on' to a target in this game I click R3 (PS4)?

It's taking me a while to get my head around the combat system in this after literally coming straight from The Witcher 2.

DOWN

Banned
lol everybody wearing that jester jacket armor
bitch me too

so it seems the vanilla game is looking low tech, especially on consoles.

Mutombo

Not sure this is the place, but are there more people having a difficult time having fun in Witcher 3? I'm almost 4 hours in, just met Yen for the first time. I'm absentminded during cutscenes, and the controls feel... tight, yet almost too responsive. Can't count the times I've missed my horse by turning too hard. The fight with the griffith was boring on Broken Bones difficulty, mostly because it took so long to get his HP down, and when you're used to BLoodborne, this feel to button-mashy... I think.

I guess I have to get used to the vastness of it all. I have to get used to progressing non-lineary. I have to get used to the controls. The technical aspects amaze me. And I've barely made it past the 'tutorial world', I know. But there is a chore-like quality to games this big that I need a different mindset for, I think, or maybe just keep playing on normal mode because dying isn't necessarily a moment of reflection, it's just... stupid, underpowered, button-mash, running out of food. At least that's what it feels like at the beginning of the game.

bombshell

So to 'lock on' to a target in this game I click R3 (PS4)?

It's taking me a while to get my head around the combat system in this after literally coming straight from The Witcher 2.

Yeah, then you can flick the right stick left or right to switch between targets. Click R3 again to remove the lock on.

Apt101

Not sure this is the place, but are there more people having a difficult time having fun in Witcher 3? I'm almost 4 hours in, just met Yen for the first time. I'm absentminded during cutscenes, and the controls feel... tight, yet almost too responsive. Can't count the times I've missed my horse by turning too hard. The fight with the griffith was boring on Broken Bones difficulty, mostly because it took so long to get his HP down, and when you're used to BLoodborne, this feel to button-mashy... I think.

I guess I have to get used to the vastness of it all. I have to get used to progressing non-lineary. I have to get used to the controls. The technical aspects amaze me. And I've barely made it past the 'tutorial world', I know. But there is a chore-like quality to games this big that I need a different mindset for, I think, or maybe just keep playing on normal mode because dying isn't necessarily a moment of reflection, it's just... stupid, underpowered, button-mash, running out of food. At least that's what it feels like at the beginning of the game.

I had to decrease the stick sensitivity. I play on PC with some crappy Gamestop rebranded 360 controller with floaty sticks and weird triggers. I really should go ahead and order a wireless transceiver and a proper controller tonight. I'd love to use a Dualshock 4 as I find them incredibly well built and precise, but those Windows driver and configuration options appear terrible to me - like early Linux gamepad terrible.

Semper88

By the time I fought my second pack drowners and multiplying wraith, I think I got along well enough to complete the game with no major gripes on normal. My largest issue with combat is the parry system - doesn't seem to time well, and parrying an attack seems like it leaves one open more than it should. I still think it's fine overall. Maybe a 2.5 out 5 on that part. The rest of the game so far has been a solid 5.

parry does seem off yea, but i guess combat is more forgiving on normal.
I've started on the highest and every mistake is a kick in the face. Since parry seems wonky i mostly dodge and slash. but that camera.. blueghh.

the rest indeed is awesome.. i didn't follow the downgrade bullshit and i didnt watch any gameplay so its all fresh for me and the PS4 seems to do a good job.

aJxaRDE.gif

Corpekata

Banned
If parrying attacks is leaving you open you're not meant to parry the attack. For instance Drowner lunges also leave you stunned for a second, while their normal claw attacks (usually a 1-2 attack) can be parried easily. So gotta dodge the lunges.

If anything I think they're probably too generous with the parry counter timing. I've countered a few attacks I hadn't really tried for and meant to just block.

Daffy Duck

Yeah, then you can flick the right stick left or right to switch between targets. Click R3 again to remove the lock on.

Nice, thanks.

I skipped the tutorial at the start for combat as stupidly I thought it would be exactly like Witcher 2 for some reason, more fool me I guess!

7he Talon

Quick question: Say I went into a quest and got really far into it, but ran out of potions and am too weak to defeat the boss, is there anyway to abandon the quest? (Note: I have no save before starting the quest....)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks! I wonder if I can just ignored weapon damage then, if it still works and damage is only slightly reduced.
Honestly the minus (-) values are pretty damn low for degradation and you're upgrading gear enough it's a near complete non issue and I hate durability.

valkyre

In regards to console stutter, mainly PS4 version, the issue seems more and more like a glitch to me rather than a performance issue per se.

Of course I dont know the technical side of things, but what I have discovered is that if you do not move the camera yourself (right analogue stick) and you just let the camera automatically following you, there is zero stutter. I mean no stutter at all. If you decide to adjust the camera yourself, thats when the stutter happens. It is very weird, but this is beyond doubt what is happening at least with my game.

I even made a video out of this, although be aware that youtube does mask the effect a bit. It is way more pronounced when you play. Notice how in the start of the video where I am doing circles with the camera simply following me the gameplay seems smooth as butter. And then watch what happens when I decide to pan the camera around me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXuHllFIkE

PS: Have CDP said anything about working on these issues via a future patch to improve performance?

Frillen

Thanks! I wonder if I can just ignored weapon damage then, if it still works and damage is only slightly reduced.

Are you early in the game? Repairs might be costly at the start but sooner rather than later you will have more than enough money for repairs.

So I just did the first Keira Main Quest thingy in the first area, and goddam does this game know how to do tense as FUCK boss fights.

Seriously.

Fuck that Wild Hunt guy. It would be amazing if like, every member of the Wild Hunt is like that. Like, they have no jobbers it's all just diesel motherfuckers spanking you all the time.

GlamFM

Banned
Quick question: Say I went into a quest and got really far into it, but ran out of potions and am too weak to defeat the boss, is there anyway to abandon the quest? (Note: I have no save before starting the quest....)

You can change the difficulty on the fly.

This game is so good, my OCD will be the end of me though lol, I slowly took out a camp of level 10s while being a level 4 tonight, I think I spent an hour trolling them one at a time and carefully fighting them so I wouldn't die lmao! I really should attempt to go for the quest, but there's so much hidden stuff everywhere and also hardest difficultly ftw!

Blizzard

Banned
Are you early in the game? Repairs might be costly at the start but sooner rather than later you will have more than enough money for repairs.
I'm early, but I just hate weapons degrading in general, in most any game. I know there's a mod/cheat to ignore it but I don't really want to do that.

Amusingly, did anyone else happen to read the EULA or whatever from CDPR that says you're not allowed to cheat/hack their games? So technically I guess I would be breaking the EULA if I use a cheat on a singleplayer game? o_O

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You gotta get the matching blue gloves like my guy. Takes the outfit to a new level.

I just ditched the picnic blanket for some mud brown and yellow threads that make Geralt look fat.

Armour design in general is a huge step backwards from The Witcher 2. I don't dislike them as much as some others, but there seems to be a lot of obvious mesh recycling with a new texture. And maybe because the game has so many compared to The Witcher 2 they were unable to spend as much time on each one. TW2's armour is in a league of its own though. So many little details.

carlsojo

So I just did the first Keira Main Quest thingy in the first area, and goddam does this game know how to do tense as FUCK boss fights.

Seriously.

Fuck that Wild Hunt guy. It would be amazing if like, every member of the Wild Hunt is like that. Like, they have no jobbers it's all just diesel motherfuckers spanking you all the time.

That fight was awesome.
I took him down after a long fight by relying on Keira to draw him off be so I could land crits on his back. Keira almost did too good a job and he would end up backed into a corner where I couldn't get him from the back haha.

Flaboere

Uh oh - I read everywhere that you should hang on to your Witcher-gear. Is that the stuff you start out with? I already sold my starting steel sword, and armor I think. Am I screwed?

-Deimos

Seriously.

I just finished the main quest with her now and it was amazing. I hope there are more quests that have a companion tag along and fight with you.

Two Words

People can talk about the downgrades this game has gotten, but I have to say it has the best eyes I've seen in a game. They manage to have eyes that both look real and feel like a living person. I wonder if they made an algorithm that makes the eyeballs move automatically just enough to avoid looking like doll eyes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, having done a bunch of stuff for the Baron and on the side doing the Ladies of the Wood Quest, my gut is telling me (mostly based on the gameplay walkthrough last year) that
Gran is his runaway wife
. Is my gut leaning in the right direction? I'm treading really carefully here because of this inkling.

Apt101

If parrying attacks is leaving you open you're not meant to parry the attack. For instance Drowner lunges also leave you stunned for a second, while their normal claw attacks (usually a 1-2 attack) can be parried easily. So gotta dodge the lunges.

If anything I think they're probably too generous with the parry counter timing. I've countered a few attacks I hadn't really tried for and meant to just block.

I see. I had a feeling it may be mob and/or attack specific - but as you noted it seems so random sometimes I wasn't sure. For example, I have parried some drowner lunges without an issue, other times I got sent reeling. There was no notable timing difference on my part (and I have killed probably 50 of them at this point). Anyways, not a big hindrance. Only cost me one fight so far.

And just commenting on the downgrade comments, I am glad I don't pay attention to the minutiae of graphics in games. It looks amazing to me. I may even kick it up to ultra to see if my system can handle it.

GavinGT

Banned
Call your horse and ride to the nearest merchant. The horse doesn't care and can ride at full speed.

Yeah, but then the merchant runs out of money after not too long. And each merchant only buys certain things.

I just sold a crapload of stuff (kept only a couple of each item) and I'm still at 38/60 weight.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah, but then the merchant runs out of money after not too long. And each merchant only buys certain things.

I just sold a crapload of stuff (kept only a couple of each item) and I'm still at 38/60 weight.

The armorer in White Orchard sells as saddlebag that increases your weight to 90, should snag it.

The free DLC one is sold in the same town but a different merchant. Not sure if i'ts any different besides look.

antonz

Also, having done a bunch of stuff for the Baron and on the side doing the Ladies of the Wood Quest, my gut is telling me (mostly based on the gameplay walkthrough last year) that
Gran is his runaway wife
. Is my gut leaning in the right direction? I'm treading really carefully here because of this inkling.

could be. They do say to trust your gut usually

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Make sure you only sell weapons to blacksmiths. Pelts to Inn keepers. Give you a lot more money.
Uh oh - I read everywhere that you should hang on to your Witcher-gear. Is that the stuff you start out with? I already sold my starting steel sword, and armor I think. Am I screwed?
Nah, so many people sweating small stuff. It's just a minor upgrade and the game is throwing tons of upgrades at you. Already found 3 relic swords and can craft 6 kinds of armor that are better.

That's why you get the +70 saddlebags when you can. I think it was in Novagrad? Might have been sooner, I forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom