• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
w1p7uj8.png

ugh...

You can play cards until you pass, no matter if the enemy did or not. So if you pass your opponent can play as many card as he wants in a row. This can sometimes lead to a game of chicken where the players stack all of their cards in Round 1.

That makes sense. Where can I get some cards good at? Still using the starter deck so far and buying any if I see them for sale. I remember getting one from the Baron too.

Has anyone else met an enemy that just has '??' instead of a level number? I assume it means they're so far above your level that they're basically certain death. The beastie I came across didn't seem even the slightest bit phased by my heavy attacks (in a couple of minutes of hacking away I don't think I moved its health bar one pixel), and when my concentration finally lapsed it took me out in one hit.

It was an Earth Elemental guarding a treasure chest in No Man's Land, a little way north-west of the huge Nilfgaardian camp at the south-east. Luckily, it succumbed to the same little manoeuvre I pulled on an unsuspecting Cyclops on a mountaintop, the ol' 'lure it away then circle around a thing and come sprinting back for the chest' gambit. Found an awesome new Silver Sword in there that neatly outclasses my Viper School one by miles.

Stoze

If it didn't fail, maybe you can still aquire the card somewhere else, as random drop of some merchant.

I've been looking stuff up about it, and I don't think so unforunately. The common ones I can get elsewhere, but I'm out of luck for the Foltest Card.

That's gonna annoy the hell out of me, but I'll just have to get used to it. There will forever be an unfinished quest in my log :(

Chariot

That makes sense. Where can I get some cards good at? Still using the starter deck so far and buying any if I see them for sale. I remember getting one from the Baron too.
Generally all merchants, blacksmiths and inn keeps play the game. So when coming to a new location go to them first and battle them to the ground. Merchants and Blacksmith play for money, they give you a random card when you win the first time and other stuff after that.
Inn keepa don't use money they play for rare carda. You get a unique rare when you finish on them. There are other unique players in every region like the Baron. Find on them, beat them and ask them who else to play.You get a qurst that shows you who else got unique cards.

grimmiq

Think I'm going to take a day off, been playing this a bit too much and started getting stressed at the combat again. 2 100 vitality mutagens, the 500 vitality skill and a drowner that sneaks up behind me takes 1/3 of my HP in a single hit..Playing on the 2nd hardest and I feel like a lot of fights I'm leashing the monsters..pulling them as far as they can go then ducking in and killing 1, then running like a little girl while my slow as fuck regen restores any HP lost.

Not a fan of enemies simply ignoring attacks either..I really like the Ignis flamethrower..but they just run through the first 2 seconds of it like a boss and interupt, drowner leaps directly at you mid-swing? Of course his unarmed attacks take precedence.

bombshell

Hmm, so I have a silver sword equipped that gives +20% xp from monsters, but when I look in player stats it still says +0% xp from monsters.

I don't know if it's just a UI bug or if I'm not getting the extra xp. Every little bit will help on Death March difficulty :/

grimmiq

Hmm, so I have a silver sword equipped that gives +20% xp from monsters, but when I look in player stats it still says +0% xp from monsters.

I don't know if it's just a UI bug or if I'm not getting the extra xp. Every little bit will help on Death March difficulty :/

I think it's from an earlier build as they seem to have removed exp from killing and you only get it from quests.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Character arcs and quests just keep going. Relentlessly.

Stoze

Think I'm going to take a day off, been playing this a bit too much and started getting stressed at the combat again. 2 100 vitality mutagens, the 500 vitality skill and a drowner that sneaks up behind me takes 1/3 of my HP in a single hit..Playing on the 2nd hardest and I feel like a lot of fights I'm leashing the monsters..pulling them as far as they can go then ducking in and killing 1, then running like a little girl while my slow as fuck regen restores any HP lost.

Not a fan of enemies simply ignoring attacks either..I really like the Ignis flamethrower..but they just run through the first 2 seconds of it like a boss and interupt, drowner leaps directly at you mid-swing? Of course his unarmed attacks take precedence.

700 vitality really isn't as much as it sounds, considering you start out around 3500 if I'm not mistaken. That basically means you take an couple hits best case scenario. Igni dosen't always burn and stun them, that's based on a percentage chance so you have to be careful.

My advice is to time dodges and rolls every attack since blocking isn't as good against drowners. Pop Qwen before the battle starts. Use bombs and igni when they clump together. If Igni isn't up enough, pop a Tawny Owl potion before fighting them.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
sweet fucking christ, has there ever been a game with worse underwater controls?

This is my one and only complaint about this game. I end of doing some sort of shimmy zig zag, backflip, dolphin ritual when the box I'm trying to loot is only like 2 feet below where I'm fucking floating.

Witchers undergo mutations to give them super-human speed and reflexes, the ability to see in the dark and other things.
Haven't tried easy but probably, yeah, lol.

I've been playing on easy, and one of the first fights against a bunch of humans was about 5 seconds long as Geralt cut every single one of them in half in a single blow.

It was glorious.

I do kinda wish I could set the difficulty to "easy" for humans, and then something higher for monsters.

meep!

Neo Member
Minor nitpick, but anyone else getting annoyed by the screen going dark whenever you press those enchant weapon / armor wheel / tables? I mean, it seem so pointless. Why not add some other kind of effect (or even nothing) rather than blacking out the screen for a second. Always takes me out of the "immersion" of it for some reason.

Daverid

Finally done with Fyke Isle Quest

Woah

Yea that questline was utterly incredible.

I have to say, I cannot fucking wait to see where CDPR go with their future games like Cyberpunk2077. They fucking know how to create a solid as shit open world, and on their very first try to boot.

As an example: I finally reached Skellige, went off exploring, saw some random island off in the distance with a lighthouse. Arrived and embarked on what I thought was just a really simple contract quest, I won't include anything super detailed detailed in the spoiler, but fucking hell next thing I know I'm
thrown in jail and blackmailed by the isle's Jarl into some fully fledged side-quest.
Absolutely nuts, honestly the side-quests in this game is on a whole other level. It's like they took what they had in The Witcher 2, improved it even further, and blended it in fucking perfectly with the open world. I still feel like the Senses mechanic is overused, but the writing and intrigue behind every quest is just so fantastic it doesn't get on my nerves.

bombshell

A follow up to this post:

If I unsheath the silver sword first and then go into the menu, then it says +20% xp from monsters in player stats. So all is good :)

Grassy

Fuck this game is good. I spent ages tweaking the hell out of it, and now I've actually played it I'm loving it. Managed to kill a huge bear at level 1, it took me ages though. Scared the hell out of me and now I'm scared to wander through the the forests. My only complaint thus far is the lack of dynamic HUD, which hopefully will be modded in. I'm playing without a HUD at the moment which is a bit painful.

Graphics are really good imo, the scope and scale of the world is amazing. It's a really organic feeling open world. Loving the music as well.

Alej

Banned
anyone else here playing on death march with the HUD completely off?

I am. ;)
Read my impressions, maybe yours are very similar:

Extremely similar impressions here on hardest difficulty since Saturday.

Then, I have to say, combat is not that bad you'll see, coming from Bloodborne too and yes, it seemed like a mess at first but it ends up being pretty enjoyable after you get used to.

It's a damn polished game in terms of gameplay designs. I play without map and without quest (in fact everything in the right half of the screen is disabled) on hardest difficulty and, while it's pretty engaging (I killed the "first boss", you know the flying beast ^^ a little unprepared and it was painful lol), I'm really enjoying so much, it's even better than Bloodborne. I'm searching through the world in order to progress (and making the world evolve too) and I have, you know, that Souls game feeling when you find something "hiding" for you to discover yourself. It's great. I have to find "ways" to progress and not engage packs of enemies (or simply enemies too powerful for me) while searching for power.

And when you search for power in an RPG, furthermore open world, greatness is delivered. Thanks based CDPR.

Tovarisc

It's little annoying that game suggests you to hold on to the Witcher gear, but doesn't give you storage like Witcher 2. I'm already hauling several parts of gear and bloating my unit carried number too much. I won't use any mods to break the system and I manage, but lack of permanent storage is baffling.

P.S. If I remember right I have now something insane like 7+ crowns on Death March, at level 11 :D

I have to say, I cannot fucking wait to see where CDPR go with their future games like Cyberpunk2077. They fucking know how to create a solid as shit open world, and on their very first try to boot. .

The music, the atmosphere the voice acting especially near the end.

It's pretty conflicting, I just marched someone to his own death and wasn't expecting it at all. What was going through my head was just someone who will just say their goodbye's and all but its not that at all. I her offer to let Graham bury her at the village, that was suspicious as hell. Was it really Anabelle as the Wraith?

Thats great to hear! I love that kind of stuff in open world games. Not knowing what you will run into and I was afraid all larger bosses were part of quests only. It's the randomness that creates replayability imo.
And thanks for sharing those screenshots, missed those before too. Can't wait to run into things like that!

There are heaps of big monsters around. I love finding them and going Oooohhhh shit. I'm outta here.

But I can't wait to face down with them later when I'm stronger.

I have to say, I cannot fucking wait to see where CDPR go with their future games like Cyberpunk2077. They fucking know how to create a solid as shit open world, and on their very first try to boot.

As an example: I finally reached Skellige, went off exploring, saw some random island off in the distance with a lighthouse. Arrived and embarked on what I thought was just a really simple contract quest, I won't include anything super detailed detailed in the spoiler, but fucking hell next thing I know I'm
thrown in jail and blackmailed by the isle's Jarl into some fully fledged side-quest.
Absolutely nuts, honestly the side-quests in this game is on a whole other level. It's like they took what they had in The Witcher 2, improved it even further, and blended it in fucking perfectly with the open world. I still feel like the Senses mechanic is overused, but the writing and intrigue behind every quest is just so fantastic it doesn't get on my nerves.

The side quests are incredible, I agree. I also love how the
Ladies of the Wood
intertwined with the Family Matters Quest. As I said earlier in the thread, the conclusion was great. I've not done a single side quest in this game yet that's felt meaningless or not offered me some kind of world buildings/character development.

Tovarisc

The music, the atmosphere the voice acting especially near the end.

It's pretty conflicting, I just marched someone to his own death and wasn't expecting it at all. What was going through my head was just someone who will just say their goodbye's and all but its not that at all. I her offer to let Graham bury her at the village, that was suspicious as hell. Was it really Anabelle as the Wraith?

It was. When she gets her human form back for a moment we can see her and she looks like a girl in a drawing that was on altar, in Graham's hut. Her eagerness to leave the island, to have Geralt take her bones, was shady as fuck and then couldn't keep her stories straight... I bet she would just have killed him and haunted village.

Beefy

Finally starting to have a fair bit of coin (£3000). Exploring Velen atm and getting all the fast travel sign posts. Just seen my first monster with ?? as a level, must be a pretty insane level as I have seen level 18's before. May do a few story quests to break it up today.

zonezeus

I find it funny how I have this huge open world to explore, and yet here I am completely addicted to playing Gwent.

This so much. The first thing I do when I enter a new village or area is look for Gwent players. Fuck quests and monster hunting, I NEED MORE CARDS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom