• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Should I wait until the game's story gets me towards Novigrad/Oxenfurt or can I go on my own?

I tried getting to Oxenfurt but it was locked down and I needed a permit of sorts.

I'm at the
witch/baron
quests, if that helps.

Daverid

It's little annoying that game suggests you to hold on to the Witcher gear, but doesn't give you storage like Witcher 2. I'm already hauling several parts of gear and bloating my unit carried number too much. I won't use any mods to break the system and I manage, but lack of permanent storage is baffling.

Yea I walked around Novigrad for like 30 minutes trying to find a bank, or storage of some kind. When I'd visited a bunch of Inn's and even finally found Vivaldi, I realized it just didn't exist in TW3. Utterly baffling, especially for an RPG like this where you easily collect a bazillion different things, and there's not even any kind of decent sorting options.

As great as the game is, I have a list the size of Skellige of the little annoyances.

It's pretty conflicting, I just marched someone to his own death and wasn't expecting it at all. What was going through my head was just someone who will just say their goodbye's and all but its not that at all. I her offer to let Graham bury her at the village, that was suspicious as hell. Was it really Anabelle as the Wraith?

Honestly I feel it's best not to know what the other possible choices might lead to. It's why I was able to play The Witcher 2 like 3-4 times before I finally felt like I'd seen most that I could. Maybe you'd like to know, and maybe someone else will tell you, but if you have the feeling you'll ever replay the game, don't let anyone give you detailed, specific spoilers on the other choices/consequences. I will say though,
being suspicious was wise, it's always wise in The Witcher.

Should I wait until the game's story gets me towards Novigrad/Oxenfurt or can I go on my own?

I tried getting to Oxenfurt but it was locked down and I needed a permit of sorts.

I'm at the
witch/baron
quests, if that helps.

lol me personally I made my own way into the city jumped in the water and swam to victory fuck their permit!

Forkball

I've left the tutorial area and I've done some quests around Velen. Here are some general tips and tricks I've learned early on that could help people who are struggling with the beginning.

Do the Gryphon preparation, then do sidequests: If you do the gryphon prep missions, it should take you up to about level 3. That is enough to clear out White Orchard in terms of secret areas and sidequests. Then you can come back and do the main missions.

Use witcher senses to find things to loot: Use your witcher senses to highlight lootable objects. Some may not be as apparent or blend in with the environment a bit too well.

Check the beastiary for enemy weaknesses: No, the beastiary is not just a bunch of flavor text, it straight up tells you each enemy's weaknesses. Some may not be transparent. Did you know some enemies are weak to Quen? It's true! And no, Igni is not super effective against every enemy.

Loot anything and everything: Take everything you see. Plants, chests, monster guts, rusty swords, EVERYTHING. You don't know when it will come in handy. You never know what will be valuable or useful.

Dismantle stuff you don't want for crafting supplies: Honestly, dismantling is the way to go for some items. You might want to sell them because of how sparse money seems to be, but getting a bunch of crafting items over 6 coins is a good deal. You never know what those crafting items might make. For example, I was a single leather strap away from crafting a much better steel sword. I just dismantled some hide and found and voila. Two coins to dismantle a hide for a much better sword.

Items on the quest path are useful and tied in with the quest: People are overwhelmed because they are looking for some random flower to craft some potion, but have no idea where to look. Well, the wizards at CDPR made it easier for you and subtly placed items that will aid you in your quest on route to your destination. For example, in one quest you fight a wraith. There is an oil called spectre oil that makes your sword strong against wraiths. Well, how do I get that? In the area where you initially search for the ghost, you will find a chest that contains bear fat, one of the hard to find items to craft the spectre oil. IT'S ALMOST AS IF IT WAS PUT THERE ON PURPOSE. Another example is when I had to burn these bodies and fight some corpse eaters. There is an oil called necro... something oil. I was missing the flowers to craft it and I had never seen them anywhere. Turns out, on my way to the bodies, I found the flowers and was able to craft the oil to fight the monsters.

You can craft an absurd amount of stuff in White Orchard and a bit beyond: I'm only a few sidequests out of White Orchard, but I have managed to craft essential potions like Cat, Thunderbolt, and Swallow, not to mention two different bombs and some oils. I am also a handful of items away from many other things. It's amazing how far you can progress so early on.

Watch parries against human enemies: You cannot parry a guy swinging a huge hammer at you. Humans can be tough to fight because they like to hide behind their shields, and attacking them with their guard up hurts your sword durability. Wait for your moment to parry carefully and then slash them or blast them with igni.

You cannot just run into battles like Batman: I hear a lot of complaints about the combat, and while I agree there are some flaws, it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Before a fight, you really have to prepare. Get your potions and oils ready, put equip signs the enemy is weak to, and scout the area to ensure they don't just corner and wombo combo you. Even fighting some trash mob-looking jobbers like drowners can get you killed if you just run in there. Use bombs, signs, potions, oils, dodges, rolls etc. You have a lot of weapons at your disposal.

Meditate to heal and restock potions, bombs, and oils: Meditation doesn't heal you on higher difficulties, but it is still useful for restocking your crafted potions.

NOW I GOTTA GO PLAY

Daffy Duck

There's no storage at Inns anymore?

I could've sworn there was an option for storage at the first inn I went too in White Orchard. It was a chest by the woman near the stairs.

I thought the
Griffin______
fight in White Orchard was supposed to be difficult? It died in like 10 hits.
I'm playing blood and broken bones, and crafted the
Viper
swords beforehand (266 dps with grindstone)

Beefy

Just found a level 28 sword masterwork diagram that does 500 + damage. Only another 21 levels until I can use it....

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've left the tutorial area and I've done some quests around Velen. Here are some general tips and tricks I've learned early on that could help people who are struggling with the beginning.

Do the Gryphon preparation, then do sidequests: If you do the gryphon prep missions, it should take you up to about level 3. That is enough to clear out White Orchard in terms of secret areas and sidequests. Then you can come back and do the main missions.

Use witcher senses to find things to loot: Use your witcher senses to highlight lootable objects. Some may not be as apparent or blend in with the environment a bit too well.

Check the beastiary for enemy weaknesses: No, the beastiary is not just a bunch of flavor text, it straight up tells you each enemy's weaknesses. Some may not be transparent. Did you know some enemies are weak to Quen? It's true! And no, Igni is not super effective against every enemy.

Loot anything and everything: Take everything you see. Plants, chests, monster guts, rusty swords, EVERYTHING. You don't know when it will come in handy. You never know what will be valuable or useful.

Dismantle stuff you don't want for crafting supplies: Honestly, dismantling is the way to go for some items. You might want to sell them because of how sparse money seems to be, but getting a bunch of crafting items over 6 coins is a good deal. You never know what those crafting items might make. For example, I was a single leather strap away from crafting a much better steel sword. I just dismantled some hide and found and voila. Two coins to dismantle a hide for a much better sword.

Items on the quest path are useful and tied in with the quest: People are overwhelmed because they are looking for some random flower to craft some potion, but have no idea where to look. Well, the wizards at CDPR made it easier for you and subtly placed items that will aid you in your quest on route to your destination. For example, in one quest you fight a wraith. There is an oil called spectre oil that makes your sword strong against wraiths. Well, how do I get that? In the area where you initially search for the ghost, you will find a chest that contains bear fat, one of the hard to find items to craft the spectre oil. IT'S ALMOST AS IF IT WAS PUT THERE ON PURPOSE. Another example is when I had to burn these bodies and fight some corpse eaters. There is an oil called necro... something oil. I was missing the flowers to craft it and I had never seen them anywhere. Turns out, on my way to the bodies, I found the flowers and was able to craft the oil to fight the monsters.

You can craft an absurd amount of stuff in White Orchard and a bit beyond: I'm only a few sidequests out of White Orchard, but I have managed to craft essential potions like Cat, Thunderbolt, and Swallow, not to mention two different bombs and some oils. I am also a handful of items away from many other things. It's amazing how far you can progress so early on.

Watch parries against human enemies: You cannot parry a guy swinging a huge hammer at you. Humans can be tough to fight because they like to hide behind their shields, and attacking them with their guard up hurts your sword durability. Wait for your moment to parry carefully and then slash them or blast them with igni.

You cannot just run into battles like Batman: I hear a lot of complaints about the combat, and while I agree there are some flaws, it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Before a fight, you really have to prepare. Get your potions and oils ready, put equip signs the enemy is weak to, and scout the area to ensure they don't just corner and wombo combo you. Even fighting some trash mob-looking jobbers like drowners can get you killed if you just run in there. Use bombs, signs, potions, oils, dodges, rolls etc. You have a lot of weapons at your disposal.

Meditate to heal and restock potions, bombs, and oils: Meditation doesn't heal you on higher difficulties, but it is still useful for restocking your crafted potions.

NOW I GOTTA GO PLAY

Sick tips. Except running in like batman is what I do.

Maximo

Jesus just got up to the part in the main quest where you find out what botchlings are..pretty fucked up.
Oh my god it just keeps getting worse..

Daffy Duck

Also another question:

I found one of those power points (I think that's what it's called) in the graveyard and it gave me a character point to spend ) I've not hit level one yet {nearly there 951/1000}.

If I spend it on the ranged combat one does this give me the crossbow?

I'm scared to spend my upgrade points in case I choose poorly.

Jarrod357

Neo Member
I am really liking this game. It took a little bit of getting used to the combat but I felt the same way with dragon age. The first bug that I have experienced was I crafted a new combat jacket and it didn't appear in my inventory. Other than that the game has been great. Playing on ps4. Performance has been fine and load times haven't been as long as everyone has been saying.

Beefy

Nope. I haven't spent any on ranged attack.
Also another question:

I found one of those power points (I think that's what it's called) in the graveyard and it gave me a character point to spend.

Corpekata

Banned
An easy way to get shielded enemies is to cast Axii on them. The other spells get blocked but that just leaves em stunned and open for business.

RK9039

Also another question:

I found one of those power points (I think that's what it's called) in the graveyard and it gave me a character point to spend ) I've not hit level one yet {nearly there 951/1000}.

You'll get it when you fight the
Griffin
. You'll also find more later in the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
lol me personally I made my own way into the city jumped in the water and swam to victory fuck their permit!

I thought about doing that but if there is some cool introductionary mission that guides you into the city or something I don't want to ruin that moment.

Sounds kinda silly I guess, but I don't want to ruin immersion or game flow, or something.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's going on here? Your quest appears to have gone differently to mine.

Baron took his wife home to a healer in mine.

I freed the tree spirit, who rescued the children from the Crones. The Crones punished the Baron's wife by transforming her into a water hag thing. The Tree Spirit also drove the townsfolk (the ones you work with for the Crones) mad and they murdered each other.

Are you still in Velen? What level are you?

Yes, and level 11.

Also another question:

You'll get the crossbow in the course of finishing the tutorial zone. I wouldn't put points into ranged combat before you have a ranged weapon, though.

Personally, I put all my points in the fast attack and igni sign so far.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Who else here who when they go to work they can't help but want to get back and play this magnification game and getting cold turkey just thinking about it?! I've been sacrificing an extra hour of less sleep to play it longer in the week days!

Man I really love this game. Geralt is such a boss and I just can't help but fall in love with the dialogue and writing with this game.

I thought about doing that but if there is some cool introductionary mission that guides you into the city or something I don't want to ruin that moment.

Sounds kinda silly I guess, but I don't want to ruin immersion or game flow, or something.

I see but it was hilarious how I jumped in the water and crossed

Nice tips! Mostly confirming what I thought was the case but yeah, good ones!

Except this. I will not play a kleptomaniac Geralt. :)

leng jai

The ambient sound design in this game is pretty good, very detailed and prolific. The fact that the game is windy about 80% of the time probably helps.

woen

I'm really tired of those bosses who can heal when mid-life and then sending 3 monsters hard to kill (and he continues to attack you btw, when healing). 100 hp every second. Yeah.
Poor combat design, they used the same at the same moment of the game.

It's the
botchling, the magic trick didn't wort long

aravuus

I just bought the permit off some random merchant, so I doubt there's a proper introductory mission for that stuff. You'd probably just get during a story mission.

Newman96

I freed the tree spirit, who rescued the children from the Crones. The Crones punished the Baron's wife by transforming her into a water hag thing. The Tree Spirit also drove the townsfolk (the ones you work with for the Crones) mad and they murdered each other.

Yes, and level 11.

Ahh right, I killed the tree spirit as I didn't entirely trust it. Was also the quicker of the two paths haha.
Thats the other posters image mine was
Baron takes Anna
Yeah sorry, noticed that after I'd posted!

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Who else here who when they go to work they can't help but want to get back and play this magnification game and getting cold turkey just thinking about it?! I've been sacrificing an extra hour of less sleep to play it longer in the week days!

Man I really love this game. Geralt is such a boss and I just can't help but fall in love with the dialogue and writing with this game.

I'm at work right now, suffering. :(

carlsojo

I kind of want to respec into more focus into Alchemy. Wrecking archery punks with the deflect is sweet, but archers are pretty uncommon and I'm not "gud" enough to consistently hit the arrows back at them.

zonezeus

Finished Towerful of Mice and all follow-up stuff, another amazing chain of (side)quests.
Keira is one cunning bitch! Everything she did in previous quests was just a front to get Geralt do shit for her - tits, cleavage, pretending to be scared of mice, batting eye-lashes, romantic dinners. And then when she gets what she wants and if you choose to fight her she's tough as nails, easily one of the hardest fights in the game!
The internet was right, this game is sexist - men are dumb as hell, main characters (and male players ;]) included.

So... About Gwent. I'm trying to beat the asshole in the Nilfgaard castle garden, and he's handing my ass to me. His cards are amazing. Do you guys have any tips to keep me from becoming seriously injured playing a children's card game?

I've gone from having barely any coin all the time to rolling in it. Nothing to spend my money on at the moment.
Yep. Nothing decent in specs armor or weapon sellers. Gonna go exploring to find decent armor around the world

In an unrelated topic the (Novingrad romance spoiler)
Triss sexy time scene
scene was disapointing after everything you go through. I mean funny yeah but disappointing. Hopefully
she appears later again because if that's it until whenever we go to kaer late gamethat will be disappointing considering she's now Geralts girlfriend I believe.

Ahh right, I killed the tree spirit as I didn't entirely trust it. Was also the quicker of the two paths haha.
Yeah sorry, noticed that after I'd posted!

I was at a loss as I
Didn't trust the Tree or the Crones feel bad for what happened to the orphans

Tacitus_

Yes, and level 11.

Welp, you done fucked up. Glad I went with my gut feeling on that one and chose differently.

Nice level 4 me walking around looking for interesting spots when out of the blue a level 14 wyvern drops from the sky. I decide I'm fit to kill it so I spend the next 10 minutes doing light combos, dodge and quen. Didn't even give me loot. :/

I'm really tired of those bosses who can heal when mid-life and then sending 3 monsters hard to kill (and he continues to attack you btw, when healing). 100 hp every second. Yeah.
Poor combat design, they used the same at the same moment of the game.

It's the
botchling, the magic trick didn't wort long

LOL!

Just walk behind the
Baron
and he'll not drop the
Botchling that transforms
. The only thing you have to do is defending them from
Wraiths

carlsojo

So... About Gwent. I'm trying to beat the asshole in the Nilfgaard castle garden, and he's handing my ass to me. His cards are amazing. Do you guys have any tips to keep me from becoming seriously injured playing a children's card game?

I gave up and resolved to come back when I had a deck as stacked as his. The dude literally just has all the special cards.

BLunted

Banned

I think there are some players that require you to have a developed deck in order to compete. I keep getting smashed by the soothsayer and his stupid monster deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom