• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Motherfuckin' Swallow potion. Why did I forget you existed? Been struggling on this bit for 45 minutes and I get so frustrated I go through my inventory looking for some food or beer and there I find you.

Lovely Swallow. FFS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Neat if slightly heartbreaking detail early on in the Triss related Novegrad quest:
I found the Rose of Remembrance, that I gave her in The Witcher 2, in a drawer. Geralt comments on it having wilted. I remember from the last game the roses had a mythology surrounding them that they'd never wilt if given to your true love
. Nice commentary on the situation.

I enjoy controlling people with Jedi mind powers too much.

Also Quen is once again the best spell. What happened to igni spell though? In trailers and gameplay geralt shoots a steady stream. It's an explosion now

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Do you have to find the recipe for spectre oil? For some reason I don't have it.

I can't remember if you always have it, or if you get it in the course of a bounty from the White Orchard area. During that quest G. says, "better make some spectre oil."

RK9039

Neat if slightly heartbreaking detail early on in the Triss related Novegrad quest:
I found the Rose of Remembrance, that I gave her in The Witcher 2, in a drawer. Geralt comments on it having wilted. I remember from the last game the roses had a mythology surrounding them that they'd never wilt if given to your true love

Yeah that was a great touch, really cool reference to TW2.

I enjoy controlling people with Jedi mind powers too much.

Also Quen is once again the best spell. What happened to igni spell though? In trailers and gameplay geralt shoots a steady stream. It's an explosion now

That's the other version, you have to level up the Igni path.

PreFire

Holy fuck there's nothing more annoying than a group of fucking drowners.

These fuckers dodge everything.. When you cast a spell it's delayed so you have to press it like 5 times. Blocking is useless and the bow does 1hp damage.

I fucking destroyed a Griffin in one attempt, without even trying.. Yet, these fuckers have killed me 10 times already. You auto target one guy and it won't switch even if you're getting attacked.. I know I could just run away but I'm killing these fucks.

Once you swing and miss 3 of them attack you and don't miss.

Makes complete sense though.
triss and him know that yen is the soul mate/true love of geralt. You can still choose to love each other though. Just because you have a soul mate it doesn't mean you can't love another person

Cathcart

These fuckers dodge everything.. When you cast a spell it's delayed so you have to press it like 5 times. Blocking is useless and the bow does 1hp damage.

I fucking destroyed a Griffin in one attempt, without even trying.. Yet, these fuckers have killed me 10 times already. You auto target one guy and it won't switch even if you're getting attacked.. I know I could just run away but I'm killing these fucks.

Are you using lock on? I actually prefer having it off when fighting groups like that and kind of Batmanning it. Get in a hit or two, dodge, hit the closest target, dodge again. I also like the shockwave spell that I just hold on to in case they get on top of me.

Sorian

Banned
i was just really mad at her! Maybe we could have talked it out more lol but I'm playing a pretty straight forward Witcher. Didn't expect 'two choices than BAM fight

I don't really know all that goes into it but (spoilers for level 5-6 quest chain in first large area)
She can be more amenable to talking, I'd assume based on how you've handled her situations thus far. When I got to this key moment, my Geralt talked her down pretty easily and she happily gave me the notes and made her way back to Witcher HQ

Are you using lock on? I actually prefer having it off when fighting groups like that and kind of Batmanning it. Get in a hit or two, dodge, hit the closest target, dodge again. I also like the shockwave spell that I just hold on to in case they get on top of me.

Yeah never target when fighting groups. I mostly kill groups of drowners by keeping my distance, casting igni and when once gets too close getting a few hits.

aravuus

Quen, attack, Quen, attack, Igni (ah fuck, missed) Quen, Quen, Quen.

Quen is better than Triss and Yennefer combined.

Yeah, all the "best girl" talk is shit, Quen is here, and Quen is the Queen.

Meh, dont like Quen at all. Forces you to go into a passive mindset when your shield breaks.

I don't follow. How does being able to take a deadly blow and leave unscathed make you passive at all? It's the opposite for me, I'm taking daring swings at groups of enemies cause I know only one tops will hit me, and I can take it.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

Once you swing and miss 3 of them attack you and don't miss.
Wait for them to attack, sidestep, light attack to get in close then finish with a heavy swing. Repeat if necessary.

Carcetti

A friend made a version-independent weight mod if anyone's interested. You just drag and drop the contents of the zip file to your bin\x64 folder and it makes all the items weigh a value of 0.01. It should work on future updates of the game unless some significant changes are made to how the game calculates item weight.

Release: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/releases/latest

Source code: https://github.com/fatalis/witcher3weight/

Is there a similar mod to durability? Hauling ass to repair those papier-mache swords is getting really old.

FaintDeftone

One of the reasons I didn't care for The Witcher 2 (PC) was due to how difficult the combat was for me. Something just didn't click right and I always struggled even early on. Is this the same situation for The Witcher 3? I never did play the console version of W2 and not sure if that improved.

Courage

Quen is the opposite of passive for me. Gives me less of a fear to charge enemies and if my shield breaks, I back away and recast.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
A friend made a version-independent weight mod if anyone's interested. You just drag and drop the contents of the zip file to your bin\x64 folder and it makes all the items weigh a value of 0.01. It should work on future updates of the game unless some significant changes are made to how the game calculates item weight.

Yeah, I'll most likely use this. Weight hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I like it that way. I was hoping for an infinite weight carry anyways. Thanks for the links.

Druz

I used a saved data to load my New Game but I have no idea what choices I made or if the data I used was really my final save. Shit.

SilentFlyer

Leveling up is slow, it isn't like other games, I think I was thorough in the first area, and I wasn't level 4 yet.

If you cleared out the first area, then you got all the points from the places of power, right? Those are terrific.

If you did the viper school subquest, then have a journeyman craftsman make it for you. Finding steel weapons is fairly easy, but the viper silver sword is a big deal.

Yeah I got that sword ingredients for crafting but one which is about 500 currency. I have yet to craft it though.

Yeah, all the "best girl" talk is shit, Quen is here, and Quen is the Queen.

I don't follow. How does being able to take a deadly blow and leave unscathed make you passive at all? It's the opposite for me, I'm taking daring swings at groups of enemies cause I know only one tops will hit me, and I can take it.
I prefer attacking/dodging/attacking over attacking, backing away, Quen, attacking. Just a personal preference ;)

It's good for fighting things like Foglets or vampires, because after they go invisible, it's hard to know when they'll strike.
Use the
Cat .
potion, works on vampires .

RK9039

so restart without saves?

Yeah, if you're looking to import your Witcher 2 save file don't pick the simulate save files option. You can still have that option on if you remember what you did in TW2. I just left it on and answered his question.

As Ric Flair would say, "Wooooooo!!!"

One of the reasons I didn't care for The Witcher 2 (PC) was due to how difficult the combat was for me. Something just didn't click right and I always struggled even early on. Is this the same situation for The Witcher 3? I never did play the console version of W2 and not sure if that improved.

The combat plays similarly, although more polished, but the difficulty has been fine-tuned quite a bit. You should be totally fine on normal, and even on hard, it's less bullshitty than early parts of Witcher 2.

PreFire

Wait for them to attack, sidestep, light attack to get in close then finish with a heavy swing. Repeat if necessary.

Thanks. Found out using sidestep doesn't require stamina, which you need to cast spells.

Just killed those bastards

Now I need to hunt for food lol.. No hp and no money

Do you have to stand still to cast a spell?

realcZk

Would it cost double or triple to repair?

I think he's gonna look into it now. If I had to guess they are probably basing the repair price off the item's current durability % and maybe its rarity/quality level(?), and the function he'd likely be changing is "GetItemMaxDurability". It would depend on if the repair prices take the max item durability into account.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I think he's gonna look into it now. If I had to guess they are probably basing the repair price off the item's current durability % and maybe its rarity/quality level(?), and the function he'd likely be changing is "GetItemMaxDurability". It would depend on if the repair prices take the max item durability into account.

Ok, makes sense, I thought he might be changing the percentage to 300% somehow instead of giving the max durability a boost.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I'm a little sad to find out the world isn't connected, but seperate zones.

They're so insanely big though. I mean yeah, in practice it's not literally one big open world. But Novigrad + Velen is phenomenally huge. As big as an open world needs to be. And it's one of two.

Question: does Witcher 2 autosave after you
kill or spare Letho? Was wondering because how then would it know what you did?

Yes. TW2 creates an autosave of the complete end game state.

ironcreed

Banned
So I'm a little sad to find out the world isn't connected, but seperate zones.

Velen is so colossal that I don't know when I will ever make it to Skellige. But the map for it is huge as well. The game is so massive that it kind of had to be separate maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom