• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oynox

Oh, since everybody is talking about difficulty:

I started with the second one, but found it too easy, due to the health regeneration while meditating. So I started a second time on the third difficulty level. The beginning was quite challenging, however, as soon as you do some quests, level up some skills and so on, it become quite doable.

I will reserve the highest difficulty for my second run.

And some pro tips regard the interface:

Switch off the ridiculous dotted line leading to your quest target! Furthermore, switch off the controller help in the bottom left, as soon as you are used to all the controls. Lastly, I would recommend using the small interface, since this only really affects the radar and status bar.

Hell, I would love to play the game without any interface at all, but health and active buffs are too important to acknowledge. It is soo beautiful!

1 am CET worldwide. The confusion comes from the omission of summer time.

May 19 00:00 a.m. BT (London)
May 19 02:00 a.m. UT (Moscow)
May 19 08:00 a.m. JT (Tokyo)
May 18 04:00 p.m. PST (Los Angeles)
May 18 07:00 p.m. EST (New York)

But isnt it 9am EST and 2pm CET right now? Meaning 1am cet=8pm est?

butman

The second GOTY contender is here guys!

id1Bow.gif

If I had known this would release digitally so early I never would have preordered at Best Buy. Now I gotta wait until after work tomorrow this is a bummer.

TheMan

Damn I wish I could enjoy this tomorrow, but I have a board exam on Wednesday. I'll probably hold off on buying this until next week. So painful.

The game releases at 23:00 UTC.

Now go find your your UTC offset and add or subtract from that. Germany/Central Europe is +2 UTC (summer, +1 UTC winter/daylight savings). 23+2 = 01:00

UK is +1 UTC (summer, UTC+0 winter/daylight savings). 23+1 = 00:00

East Coast USA is -4 UTC (summer, UTC-5 winter/daylight savings). 23-4 = 19:00
Pacific Coast USA is -7 UTC (summer, UTC-8 winter/daylight savings). 23-7 = 16:00

UTC, it saves lives. Just know your offsets.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have a feeling my PC is going to choke and die on this game, but I'll survive somehow.

i7 920 - oc'd to 3.6
16gb RAM
7950 3gb
500gb SSD

Barely above minimum. CPU will likely be my biggest downfall. If I can't get a solid 30fps with middling to high settings I'll just have to shelve the game till later this year or early next when I build my new rig.

Sorry for that. I put some tags down there. Even though, I thought I already wrote it without spoilers. As soon as you find the place I am talking about (which is frankly said not difficult) you will find said ingredients and schemes. And luckily, my "spoiler" is nothing gamebreaking or story related.

And there is no viper school in the starting area of the game. It just an old hideout connected with a treasure hunt quest

Anyway, I am looking for a second portion of smaragd dust, I already got the inevitable one.
No biggie, it's just slightly spoilerish. After playing Witcher 2, you could expect to find something about those people somewhere in Witcher 3, and I think it's gonna be a nice little surprise when (and if) we do :)

Actually getting pretty hyped considering I have only played like 2 hours of the first one in the past. Really looking forward to it!

Wished I could have afforded the CE though. Dat statue

hemo memo

Gold Member
PS4 Update
Version 1.02

Following features are added:
- Cross country support for DLCs

Does that mean if I bought the US Season Pass of the game even though my game is EU region it would work?

Amazing OT, everything a witcher could want.

It sucks that we still don't have an explanation of the specifics of each difficulty, though. I'm really struggling to decide between BaBB and Death March, and I hate the gameyness of starting with one and switching to the other mid-play.

From what I've heard, both disable health regen from meditation and Death March gives less XP from killing monsters. There has to be more to it than that, right?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Amazing OT, everything a witcher could want.

It sucks that we still don't have an explanation of the specifics of each difficulty, though. I'm really struggling to decide between BaBB and Death March, and I hate the gameyness of starting with one and switching to the other mid-play.

From what I've heard, both disable health regen from meditation and Death March gives less XP from killing monsters. There has to be more to it than that, right?

You don't get xp from killing monsters anyways. Just for completing quests/contracts etc

Oynox

I have hopes that you can get special gear like in TW2. I need one good argument to play through the game on Death March difficulty.

For anyone playing on PS4, are the framerate/pacing issues bad enough to suggest waiting for another pitch in the near future? I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do. I don't mind some slight framerate drops, but stuttering from framepacing issues will drive me mad.

Does anyone know, what is the stock looking like for the Best Buy steelbook? I ordered way after they took it off the store, so I'm fairly certain there won't be extras, but I was curious.

Oynox

The streamer yesterday (CohhCarnage) leveled up from killing a Drowner.

Yep, you get XP. But compared to other RPGs it's a joke. You mainly level up doing quest. If you miss like 5 XP points, you can try beating up a bear or some wolves.. Otherwise it is faster to do some miniquests around the map, which are worth like 20-40 points.

OmegaDL50

The streamer yesterday (CohhCarnage) leveled up from killing a Drowner.

Probably killed a monster he hasn't killed before.

You get EXP for monsters added to the monster journal or whatever it's called. This only works for new monsters added to the bestiary and not ones you killed before. At least that's what I read.

The streamer yesterday (CohhCarnage) leveled up from killing a Drowner on Death March.

You level up for gaining knowledge of creatures by killing them (i think) and there is a cap to that.

For someone who's played the game I picture a system similar to the autopsy part of Eternal Darkness but here you get xp and info.

YoodlePro

Hey guys. First witcher game I play will be this.

I keep seeing this whoresone theme when in witcher 3 threads. Where does it come from, and what does it mean? (I mean is it literally a whore's son or does it have another meaning )

In addition to my question about the Steelbook, I forgot to also ask, Best Buy still isn't doing a midnight release right? I have to go in the morning? :(

nikos

Great OT! Really looking forward to diving into this world but BB GCU + $10 rewards are enough to make me hold out on buying it early or going digital tonight.

aku:jiki

Yep, you get XP. But compared to other RPGs it's a joke. You mainly level up doing quest. If you miss like 5 XP points, you can try beating up a bear or some wolves.. Otherwise it is faster to do some miniquests around the map, which are worth like 20-40 points.
So does anyone know if the XP is similar to W2 or have they made it even harsher? In W2, you'd barely see the XP bar move with each kill but it did move if you paid attention.

I just don't want killing random mobs to feel utterly pointless. As long as I'm getting something... (And, no, stupid hides I can sell don't count! You always end up with like 3 billion gold you can't really spend on anything in every RPG. I need dat XP nectar.)

Hey guys. First witcher game I play will be this.

I keep seeing this whoresone theme when in witcher 3 threads. Where does it come from, and what does it mean? (I mean is it literally a whore's son or does it have another meaning )
They use that word a lot in Witcher 2 and the word sounds stupid so people use it for lols.

The title really should've said "Monster Plougher" or something too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom