• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

First it was the water hag which i got passed with the help of Igni after like 10 tries. Now it's the damn wraiths that are butchering me.

Water Hag is pretty simple. Pop up shield, slash a few times then dodge or parry when she swipes at you. When she jumps into the water and reappears, quickly search for her or just dodge in any direction to avoid the projectile she tosses at you. If Shield goes down, bring it up again then rinse/repeat.

With Wraiths, having your shield up is important but the Trap Sign is SUPER key when fighting them. Put it down and then dance around until the Wraiths run into it, making them slow and vulnerable to attack. You'll get two good swings or so with your silver weapon. They'll also teleport behind you so just keep dodging them until they hit your trap. Prioritize shield if they're walloping you.

Serrato

Can you return to Kaer Morhen as some point? It seems there is also a kinda substantial zone there (a bit smaller than White Orchard, but still!)

Sorian

Banned
So do the potions refill automatically during meditation even if you dont have anymore ingredients? Normal difficulty btw. Still level one and just did the devil by the well quest and food wasn't really cutting it. I did do it in my first try though, yay me!

It costs one alcohol.

phaze

Weird question. Bought the pc box version but I finally remembered my DVD drive has been fucked up for the longest time and doesn't want to read any discs. Is there an option for me to download it from gog using the code given in the box ? I would assume it would be under reclaim your game but I tried it and it didn't work. So I suppose that means no "GOG route" for me ?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've seriously underrated how effective it can be to strike enemies while being on horseback
I can't hit shit while on horseback. Fought a group of three bandits and all ofmus were on horseback. It consisted of us running in a circle for 15 minutes while I tried to hit them with my sword and occasionally one of them exploded.

Water Hag is pretty simple. Pop up shield, slash a few times then dodge or parry when she swipes at you. When she jumps into the water and reappears, quickly search for her or just dodge in any direction to avoid the projectile she tosses at you. If Shield goes down, bring it up again then rinse/repeat.

With Wraiths, having your shield up is important but the Trap Sign is SUPER key when fighting them. Put it down and then dance around until the Wraiths run into it, making them slow and vulnerable to attack. You'll get two good swings or so with your silver weapon. They'll also teleport behind you so just keep dodging them until they hit your trap. Prioritize shield if they're walloping you.
Strategy for most creatures is quen lol

boskee

Weird question. Bought the pc box version but I finally remembered my DVD drive has been fucked up for the longest time and doesn't want to read any discs. Is there an option for me to download it from gog using the code given in the box ? I would assume it would be under reclaim your game but I tried it and it didn't work. So I suppose that means no "GOG route" for me ?

You have to Click Redeem code not Reclaim, which is for people who bought their games elsewhere to add them to GOG collection.

Kaversmed

I can't hit shit while on horseback. Fought a group of three bandits and all ofmus were on horseback. It consisted of us running in a circle for 15 minutes while I tried to hit them with my sword and occasionally one of them exploded.

You know that you should hold down your attack button and it automatically goes into slow motion, right? I also had to get used to it but now I can take down 2-3 bandits easily before going in hand to hand.

Staf

Awesome, thanks mate! Using the trap sign slaughtered them. Leveled up after that as well, got a sweet healing shield alternative now!

tuxfool

Banned
Same thing happened to me. I made myself a promise that I'm not reloading my saves for any choice-based consequences, and I'm sticking to that.

Yeah, I wasn't too bothered because I had rationalized it
on the basis that had she gone to Radovid she would have been burned at the stake
, but
others are saying that she can go to Kaer Morhen
. I'm sad now, even had I known, I would stick to it, I'm not second guessing my choices.

RoKKeR

Spent a good hour doing the "Wandering in the Dark" quest today. So, so good.
Kiera is an awesome character, there are some great mini-boss fights, and the LOOT. Oh lord, the loot is so good. Came away with a Relic Silver Sword and a Green (?) Witcher Blade that is pretty badass too.
I'm constantly amazed at how deep the quests are...

KorrZ

If you hold down the attack button while on horse back you go into a slow-down mode so you can aim your strike better. Makes it a lot easier.

Dahbomb

Anyone know a workaround to the PS4 loading screen hang up problem? Been trying to fix it for 3 hours. That unskippable cutscene at the start just makes matters worse..

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can you safely sell all these books once you've read them?

bbd23

Geralt's hair without hairworks is still really nice and dreamy :) love the way it bounces. took some screens
292030_2015-05-21_000mqbpj.png

292030_2015-05-21_000xnq9w.png

292030_2015-05-21_000ixqgg.png

Melchiah

I'm wondering whether I should claim or cancel the pre-order, as I've heard some pretty negative points about the controls, particularly compared to Bloodborne. Will it be to my taste, when I loved BB and DA:I, but don't generally play action RPGs like this? If only there were playable demos available for all games. =/

bidguy

Banned
so every weapon has the same design ? i switched to a master class steel sword and it looks different in my inventory but when i equip it theres no difference to my regular sword

that seems lazy as fuck

Game just came in from Gamefly. Will jump in soon

Be prepared for Awesome. I finally sat down and started to really play this morning. It is quite good.

-Swimming is Clunky
-Combat has a learning curve if your used to Batman games of running around punching shit in the face

Keep in mind of your abilities to brew potions and use signs. It fleshes out combat a lot and makes tackling things a lot easier if you go in prepared and not just running up beating shit with your blades hoping for the best.

Yeah, strikes on horseback are powerful but hard to land. I remember doing one hit kills on wolves when fighting them normally was taking 3 hits.

Acinixys

I'm wondering whether I should claim or cancel the pre-order, as I've heard some pretty negative points about the controls, particularly compared to Bloodborne. Will it be to my taste, when I loved BB and DA:I, but don't generally play action RPGs like this? If only there were playable demos available for all games. =/

Its way better than DA:I

But Bloodbornes combat is smoother

If you like BB and DA I say go for it

There have been 3 patches since release already

So the game should quickly get all the small niggles polished out

so every weapon has the same design ? i switched to a master class steel sword and it looks different in my inventory but when i equip it theres no difference to my regular sword

that seems lazy as fuck

Nah, there's definitely a bunch of different looks for swords. Given how many there are though, I suspect there's plenty that use the same model.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You know that you should hold down your attack button and it automatically goes into slow motion, right? I also had to get used to it but now I can take down 2-3 bandits easily before going in hand to hand.

If you hold down the attack button while on horse back you go into a slow-down mode so you can aim your strike better. Makes it a lot easier.
Welp, I'm an idiot.

I see there's some discussion regarding a certain character you team up w/ soon after leaving white orchard
keira

Just want to say: I really like her! Such a good/efficient job w/ characterization they did (as w/ most characters so far).

You can immediately tell that, although she doesn't like country living, and looks down on the peasantry, she's also driven by a desire to do the right thing and help people (like tricking them into cleaning up their cow's stall so it will get healthy), and she has a nice, wry sense of humor about her situation (just look at her chosen magical hideaway. It's like a parody of the forest witches' hideout, gamboling deer, a wood-work magical bath -- could've just as easily magicked up a comfortable chamber w/ silks and what-not, but, despite her dislike of her current role as village witch, she owns it). Really solid companion for the dungeon/elf mage quest too. Just wrapped up the three witches quest (another awesome one), heading back to have a little "chat" w/ her :).

Question for those who have finished the White Orchard chapter:

Is it possible to avoid killing the bandits/deserters who attack you in the bar? I tried to sheath my weapons, but they would be immediately unsheathed right after. 99% sure you have to kill those guys... which is too bad.

Faynwulf

When does the Money from the Merchants get refilled? I have so much to sell but no one has enough Crowns to buy them from me. :/

Vidpixel

Its way better than DA:I

But Bloodbornes combat is smoother

If you like BB and DA I say go for it

There have been 3 patches since release already

So the game should quickly get all the small niggles polished out

Yeah, The Witcher 3 definitely has a much more deliberate pace to the combat, which takes some getting used, especially when coming from something like Bloodborne, which thrives on having really tight and responsive controls.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
GAH that werewolf in that Neillen mission is a real son of a bitch. I clear the room, keep a steady hit rate on him but sometime after the midpoint it starts to regen its health faster than I can hit it. I keep the blade oiled and have Devils puffballs and fire hits going out but I can't get him below the last quarter of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom