• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that werewolves can heal after you take off a certain amount of health is kind of bullshit...they heal faster than I can dish out damage. Does that happen on lower difficulties? (I'm on the highest.) Is there anyway to stop them from healing?

Mohonky

Bought this evening, had a quick go.

Anyone else find the combat shit? I wasn't a fan of it in 2, figured they would have improve it here, but it still feels janky as fuck with poor hit detection. Whatever the first creatures you encounter are had me a bit worried the combat hadn't improved when it came to having more than a single enemy attacking and yeop, went up the road, encountered some Drowners or whatever they are and got knocked around a lot.

Is this game relying on you dodging or rolling away from attacks as you have both but it never made clear in the tutorial which one you should use when or why.

Sorian

Banned
The fact that werewolves can heal after you take off a certain amount of health is kind of bullshit...they heal faster than I can dish out damage. Does that happen on lower difficulties? (I'm on the highest.) Is there anyway to stop them from healing?

Silver bombs.

About 12 hours in now and the game is really starting to open up and grow on me, especially the combat. Quests are well-designed and super varied, world is massive yet engaging, and the story so far has me interested. I just
got done finding Johnny in the swamp and talking to the ladies in the tapestry.

Lingitiz

Anyone else find the combat shit? I wasn't a fan of it in 2, figured they would have improve it here, but it still feels janky as fuck with poor hit detection. Whatever the first creatures you encounter are had me a bit worried the combat hadn't improved when it came to having more than a single enemy attacking and yeop, went up the road, encountered some Drowners or whatever they are and got knocked around a lot.

Is this game relying on you dodging or rolling away from attacks as you have both but it never made clear in the tutorial which one you should use when or why.

I like the combat alot. Different enemy types require different strategies. Monsters generally hit much faster but have less defense, so you'll want to Quen up and dodge while hitting with quick attacks. Human enemies are much more defensive so you'll want to stun with offensive signs, parry often, and pick your spots to hit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
just woke up

nothin to do all day

Meanwhile, poor souls like me are stuck at work reading this thread and trying not to watch streams
2Z4KqDF.png

Upped the difficulty last night to "Blood and Broken Bones" as suggested by numerous sources. Game is now kicking my ass Dark Souls style... but it's forcing me to learn more of about the UI and gameplay mechanics. I went back White Orchard to try to do some leveling up.

cresto

If anyone is interested I pulled the in-game maps out. I am adding the ability to add locations to the map, right now it's just the bare maps, no info at all.

http://designgears.com/witcher/

Great start. Thanks so much.

Just a question, is there no way to travel north and leave white orchard without a loading screen? Seems like the areas can be connected but I understand the reasons for it being separated (tutorial area).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What's with these runestones that give 0 attack power?

tuxfool

Banned
Towerful of mice question

Could Graham had lived? I think there was an option to bring her to him instead of vice versa but I didn't think it was a good idea to let her off the island. I feel kinda bad bringing him to his death.

The other option is letting her go free, She kills him there too
. Which I did :/

I eff up everything related to Fyke Island.

Complistic

The game encourages you to run if you come across too many enemies that you haven't prepared for and outnumber you. You're not suppose to be able to win every fight, especially with those that are higher level than you.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I disabled a lot of the hud and the game feels more like a real rpg than some Ubisoft "follow the dots to the next point of interest" shit-fest. I also disabled question marks on the large map.

It's better. I just wish there was a compass somewhere, even if it only showed north... even if it was only visible in detective mode. It does get annoying having to check the map for a heading all the time. I've been trying to navigate using the sun and moon, and it works okay, but I'd rather a compass somewhere.

Auto-centering camera is still pissing me the fuck off. Like every two seconds. God I hate this shit. It's the worst on the horse (because it kicks in so fast), but annoying everywhere.

And really... why does this game try so hard to literally take the reins from you? Is it that fucking hard to control a horse that we need the game to do it for us? This is not a "casual" game. It's full of hardcore mechanics, why then this automated bullshit? I'm trying to take the horse a few feet off the path and it keeps trying to force it back on the damn path, And constantly resetting my camera.

Jesus christ devs, what the fuck.

Also, fuck archers. There's no goddamned way to block or avoid their attacks unless you rush into battle so this asshole will pull his weapons and you can block the arrows (assuming you have the skill equipped). And btw, arrows go through trees and environmental objects and still hit you. Nice. :/

The combat is pretty cool in the game, but it becomes shitty in areas with a lot of obstacles. And suddenly when you're in combat White Wolf can no longer clamber over a small wall, or jump, or anything remotely useful for navigating these obstacles. But still, the combat has its highs. And they are pretty high.

This game is at its very lowest when the devs try to drive for you. No thanks, please let me drive? You trust me with this convoluted fucking mess of an inventory but not to steer my horse? Okay...

Mohonky

I like the combat alot. Different enemy types require different strategies. Monsters generally hit much faster but have less defense, so you'll want to Quen up and dodge while hitting with quick attacks. Human enemies are much more defensive so you'll want to stun with offensive signs, parry often, and pick your spots to hit.

Will give it a go. Havent played a lot of it, the tutorial was fine 1v1 I just found like Witcher 2 things got a bit shit and janky when you are faced with. U,ti enemies.

Great start. Thanks so much.

Just a question, is there no way to travel north and leave white orchard without a loading screen? Seems like the areas can be connected but I understand the reasons for it being separated (tutorial area).

As far as I can tell you have to load between those 3 areas, it would pretty great if they made the entire world completely seamless.

Shahed

Not sure where else to ask this but here.

I've never played any of the Witcher games (skipped 2nd on 360 for whatever reasons) but i'm quite curious about them now. Problem is I can't bring myself to start from the 3rd game even if there is an introductory section for newcomer. I want to know more about the lore and backstory of the world. So where do i go from here?

I know they were based on books so is that a good start? The Last Wish and Blood of Elves i can get ahold of for £10 combined to see if the world interests me. Anything else?

Attempted to do a red skull quest earlier.. got all the way to the end, only to be killed in one hit by a boss :(

got some neat items on the way though.

So been seeing these people wandering around called
Witch Hunters and they all wear unique looking armour
. I haven't really seen them in the previous two games, are they in the novels/short stories? I'm wondering if you get to learn more about them in TW3, if anyone knows just reply with a "Yes" or "No". I'm quite curious... wondering if there is more to them than just
what their titles suggest

viveks86

Yeah, the color intensity really gets high on some evenings. I think it's cool how it changes up on different days though.

Yeah it's crazy how varied the same scene looks at different times of day and weather conditions. Took me 5 in-game days of meditation to make this shot. 95% of the time you simply can't see that far out with the fog and rain!

witcher32015-05-2015-46-01-18.png

You know, after beating TW2 and putting about 20 hours into TW3, I can pretty confidently say that TW1 actually has my favorite combat mechanics...it's the most awkward to learn, but once you figure it out the whole rhythm based combat can be pretty fun. I also enjoyed the strategy of switching between the three fighting styles (strong, fast, group).

It's not for everyone, but I think it at least succeeding at what it was trying to do better than 2 and 3.

boskee

Man this thread move fast! :eek:

Has there been any word on the PS4 broken Gwent tutorial crash thing or should I just decline when I play later?

Last insider info I heard (yesterday) was that they have problems reproducing that error and that they have over 18k reports of that crash.

OmegaDL50

Yep. I honestly prefer it this way as well. As they were able to give us a lot more of the world. It is an absolute monster and a meticulously crafted one at that.

And to think the Blood and Wine expansion is adding an entirely new region called Toussaint which means making this already massive world even bigger.

Basketball

Man fuck Dragon Age Inquisition

This game totally made me realize how crappy that game is from Quests , combat, exploration, strategy in fighting enemies, writing, content, diversions,etc on and on

Well done CdPr

Salsa

for those going for 30fps on mid-end cards (2 gig 680 here), after the patch I can now crank up stuff I couldnt before and still mantain rock solid 30fps

basically have all on Ultra now. hairworks off.

So been seeing these people wandering around called
Witch Hunters and they all wear unique looking armour
. I haven't really seen them in the previous two games, are they in the novels/short stories? I'm wondering if you get to learn more about them in TW3, if anyone knows just reply with a "Yes" or "No". I'm quite curious... wondering if there is more to them than just
what their titles suggest
Haven't seen them myself yet but it's not really a big spoiler to say that
witch hunters are people hunting down sorceresses after the events of Witcher 2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is there a looking glass in the game? Or binoculars or something?

Lingitiz

Man fuck Dragon Age Inquisition

This game totally made me realize how crappy that game is from Quests , combat, exploration, strategy in fighting enemies, writing, content, diversions,etc on and on

Well done CdPr

The gap in quality is insane, isn't it? So much stuff in DAI feels by the numbers, made with little care or thought and just a desire to create a ton of content in quantity. This game has so much content yet it all feels handcrafted.

The gap in quality is insane, isn't it? So much stuff in DAI feels by the numbers, made with little care or thought and just a desire to create a ton of content in quantity. This game has so much content yet it all feels handcrafted.

Yeah. It's crazy. Makes you wonder how Bioware accomplished so little, comparatively. DAI's like a skeletal placeholder of a game next to the Witcher 3.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I hope they put an option to increase the text size rather than just make everyone have increased text. It's already borderline too crowded on the screen without sesame street sized letters cluttering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom