• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost23

Is this a glitch? None of the blacksmiths are showing up on my world map, and when I go to one in person I can't talk to them. What's up?

Zidy

I can't stop playing this. There is just so much to do and the world feels so alive.

A couple of bugs still need ironing out, but man this game is beautiful.

viveks86

witcher32015-05-2119-53-21.png

witcher32015-05-2119-46-21.png

witcher32015-05-2119-35-08.png

witcher32015-05-2120-10-39.png

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
so what do you need to do to increase the encumbrance limit? been stuck at 60 for a while now and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

OmegaDL50

so what do you need to do to increase the encumbrance limit? been stuck at 60 for a while now and it suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Buy Saddlebags from merchants.

If you have the free DLC for the Temerian Armor set, you can buy one from the guy you saved from the Griffon.

It'll increase your weight limit to 90.

Later on in the game when you get to Velen you'll find a merchant selling a saddlebag in the town of Crow's Perch that adds an extra 70 weight for a total of 130. I have no idea if there is a saddlebag larger then that.

Just started more or less on PS4, took the horse for a ride outside of that first town you end up in. When returning to the town the game started consistently stuttering while I was galloping.

Is this a regular occurrence? Just my game somehow? Kinda disappointed either way, is turning me off the game almost immediately.
There should be a patch by early next week. Until then I had to shelve it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Phew, got the crystal skull. Don't know how I missed it starting the game considering I scanned that entire opening area for shrubs. Glad this thread pointed it out before I pushed on too far.

Just finished playing witcher 2 anyway to prep. Amazing how many names and places are mentioned in that game off the cuff that are now fully realized. The knowledge I've brought in from just the early game of w3 greatly helped make more sense of some conversations in w2. I remember being so lost years ago even just knowing which king hails from where on my first play.

Dynasty8

Just dove underwater, found a locked chest, swam through a crowd of attacking drowners, got the key off a body, opened it, and wound up with an amazing silver sword. More than twice as powerful as my previous one and it looks gorgeous. Classified as a relic item so I think it's a unique one.

Damn...where exactly in White Orchid?

Aeana

I'm so in love with this game. I was cautious going in, because even though I absolutely love Witcher 1 and 2, their ambitions with open world were untested, and I hated what I read about procedurally generated terrain and stuff. And after DA3, I'm just so tired of spending most of my time traveling and doing menial quests. This game is just... I don't know how they managed this without any prior open world experience. But maybe that's the key. Not having a background to fall back on. Nothing in this game feels meaningless, and the settlements and real people dotted around the map make it more interesting for me to explore than something huge and mostly civilization-free like the Hinterlands in DA3.

I finished the main storyline in Velen, and have done most of the lower level sidequests (up to ~10 or so). Moving on to a new area now... can't wait to see what's ahead.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Wow at keira the sorceresses side boob... And nip slip! So distracting in that top, lol

Dresden

Going through the quests in Novigrad and the way they branch in and out of another - responding to Geralt's choices along the way - is fantastic stuff. And I'm saddened already by the thought that there's an ending to all this.

Gaz_RB

Going through the quests in Novigrad and the way they branch in and out of another - responding to Geralt's choices along the way - is fantastic stuff. And I'm saddened already by the thought that there's an ending to all this.

Seriously... The idea that every quest brings me closer to the end is really sad. So I'm trying to take my time.

The save system in the Witcher may be one of the worst save systems in any modern game, worse than GTAIV and GTA San Andreas. I'm early in the game, doing the Griffin hunt thing and I can't save at any time leading up to the hunt... Even in between quests "You cannot save at this time." It didn't allow me to save at any time once I went to go to that dude's house.

And so I go to
that guys house, hunt the wolves, investigate the griffin roost, talk to Vesemir, set the trap... At no point in any of that time was I allowed ot save. So the Griffin kills me
and now my game is stuck loading.

It's garbage... If the game does not allow you to save within over an hour of gameplay, when you're literally standing around doing nothing, that's just not realistic, I'll never play it because I often don't have an hour+ to play a game, but only a half hour here and there.

And now it's stuck on the "You are Dead" screen and the loading thing is just spinning at like 1 tick a second. Something wrong probably. Clicking "load most recent save" does nothing, it just sits there. Clicking "quit game to main menu" works but it takes like 45 seconds before doing something.

Whatever, just wasted an hour of progress... Meh, it'll be tough to get me to play the game again after garbage like this. I hate losing progress in games.

I just can't get over the combat in this game, it just feels so awful after playing action games/rpgs like Bloodborne and Shadow of Mordor. I ended starting up a new game on the sword and story (?) difficulty so I wouldn't have to worry about healing ever.

I was blown away the first day but it just keeps feeling worse and worse, bleh.

KorrZ

The save system in the Witcher may be one of the worst save systems in any modern game. I'm early in the game, doing the Griffin hunt thing and I can't save at any time leading up to the hunt... Even in between missions "You cannot save at this time." It didn't allow me to save at any time once I went to go to that dude's house.

And so I go to
that guys house, hunt the wolves, investigate the griffin roost, talk to Vesemir, set the trap... At no point in any of that time was I allowed ot save. So the Griffin kills me

It's garbage... If the game does not allow you to save within over an hour of gameplay, when you're literally standing around doing nothing, that's just not realistic, I'll never play it because I often don't have an hour+ to play a game, but only a half hour here and there.

And now it's stuck on the "You are Dead" screen and the loading thing is just spinning at like 1 tick a second. Something wrong probably.

Sounds like you were bugged. I don't ever recall any point during that mission where I couldnt save for such a long period.

The save system in the Witcher may be one of the worst save systems in any modern game. I'm early in the game, doing the Griffin hunt thing and I can't save at any time leading up to the hunt... Even in between missions "You cannot save at this time." It didn't allow me to save at any time once I went to go to that dude's house.

And so I go to

And now it's stuck on the "You are Dead" screen and the loading thing is just spinning at like 1 tick a second. Something wrong probably.

Uh that sounds more like a bug than anything, definitely not the save system as I've experienced it. For the Griffin fight you should have autosaves at the beginning of it and even midway through the battle. If anything this game is generous with autosaves. Can't say I've had a problem with it.

Davide

And so I go to

And now it's stuck on the "You are Dead" screen and the loading thing is just spinning at like 1 tick a second. Something wrong probably. Clicking "load most recent save" does nothing, it just sits there. Clicking "quit game to main menu" works but it takes like 45 seconds before doing something.

Whatever, just wasted an hour of progress...
That doesn't sound normal. There's two checkpoints during the fight and I was able to manually save just after the fight began.

dlauv

My new sick strat for death march is killing bandit armies on horseback. It's kind of op even though humans, like most other steel monsters, are among the easiest to kill. I feel like Lu Bu.

DrSlek

The save system in the Witcher may be one of the worst save systems in any modern game. I'm early in the game, doing the Griffin hunt thing and I can't save at any time leading up to the hunt... Even in between quests "You cannot save at this time." It didn't allow me to save at any time once I went to go to that dude's house.

And so I go to

Whatever, just wasted an hour of progress... Meh, it'll be tough to get me to play the game again after garbage like this. I hate losing progress in games.

I was saving constantly on the PC. Especially just before I spoke to Vesemir. I also managed to save just as the fight began with the Gryphon.

Damn, must be bugged then. I was really frustrated because I wanted to go to bed (11:30, gotta be up for work), but every time I went to save it told me "You cannot save at this time"

The game was also running like shit, much worse than normal. I had to quit back to the main OS screen, and so I go back into the game and choose "continue" but now it's just stuck on "Please Wait" on the title screen.

So that's nice. Played the game for about 2 hours and now it won't start up again. High quality Q/A on this.

Aah, sounds pretty common, got a Gaf thread about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048542

Nice. Horrible first impression.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So basically this game for me is the culmination of everything learned, conceptualised, and evolved throughout the last two Witcher games finally realised in the way they've always meant to. It's the best parts of both with the worst trimmed down and everything else further refined to be at the best they've ever been.

This is in addition to CDPR having built an unfathomably engrossing, detailed, believable, huge, and balanced game world that somehow manages to dwarf most other open worlds in scope yet at the same time avoids being populated by medial, busywork quests. I don't think I've ever seen an open world so meticulously realised in believable topography, scene diversity, and sense of presence, while also naturally integrating set pieces, explorable landmarks, points of interest, and other gamey goodies that feel highly defined. personalised, and realistically placed. GTAV comes close in the world itself, but loses points for a sterile city (Novegrad is king) and general lack of things to do.

Like, I really, really feel there's not a single game out there with this level of budget and presentation that's also accomplishing so much in cohesive, believable topography mixed with land marks and stuff to do. And it's not just that an insane amount of work and hand tailored goodies have gone into this, it's the consistently high quality that blows me away. It's making more or less highlighting the weaknesses in every other open world I've explored.

EDIT: I'll also add that all of the above goes beyond world building visuals, audio, layout, and gamey stuff, but also the characters, dialogue, quest arcs, and so forth. Again, presence; everyone and their quest arcs are so grounded in the game world that it's easily convincing all this is happening with or without you.

Karak

So basically this game for me is the culmination of everything learned, conceptualised, and evolved throughout the last two Witcher games finally realised in the way they've always meant to. It's the best parts of both with the worst trimmed down and everything else further refined to be at the best they've ever been.

This is in addition to CDPR having built an unfathomably engrossing, detailed, believable, huge, and balanced game world that somehow manages to dwarf most other open worlds in scope yet at the same time avoids being populated by medial, busywork quests. I don't think I've ever seen an open world so meticulously realised in believable topography, scene diversity, and sense of presence, while also naturally integrating set pieces, explorable landmarks, points of interest, and other gamey goodies that feel highly defined. personalised, and realistically placed. GTAV comes close in the world itself, but loses points for a sterile city (Novegrad is king) and general lack of things to do.

Like, I really, really feel there's not a single game out there with this level of budget and presentation that's also accomplishing so much in cohesive, believable topography mixed with land marks and stuff to do. And it's not just that an insane amount of work and hand tailored goodies have gone into this, it's the consistently high quality that blows me away. It's making more or less highlighting the weaknesses in every other open world I've explored.
As I explained in my review the resource allocation for this game isn't the typical closed umbrella where the resources fall into the main part of the game and only filters out to the rest, here its like the umbrella is open spreading the resources to places most open games just don't have. Like excellent storytelling, cut-scenes, and so forth for all side quests and locations. Its pretty insane.

50 hours clocked so far. I've been doing nothing but playing. Of course some of that is pausing.

Ya they could have fixed the menus a such a bit.

leng jai

Aside from the controls my biggest gripe so is with the over use of your "Witcher Senses". It's so tedious and ugly but somehow every second quest involves extensive use of it. I hated it in the Batman games and it's no better here.

Flare

Has anyone encountered a bug where the Yrden sign won't show up on the ground? Trying to do a wraith Witcher contract and it's hard to land hits on her when I can't see if she's in the circle...

It seems that a majority of the particles for all the signs when cast are missing (flames missing from igni, yellow shield effect missing for quen, etc)

Dead

well not really...yet
Putting aside how short nights seem to be in Temeria, Dawn in this game has got to be the source of some of the greatest in game visuals ever.

Anytime that sun is rising. My god.

EDIT: I'll also add that all of the above goes beyond world building visuals, audio, layout, and gamey stuff, but also the characters, dialogue, quest arcs, and so forth. Again, presence; everyone and their quest arcs are so grounded in the game world that it's easily convincing all this is happening with or without you.

I think it might be the best RPG ever made. No hyperbole.

Agree with everything you said here

Euron

I just want to say that
The Bloody Baron
has been such a fantastic character so far. He reminds me so much of
Robert Baratheon from Game of Thrones.
Almost done with that particular questline but it looks like I have to start
the witch one
before I can complete it. Also
he's been kicking my ass at Gwent even when I get the upper hand over him.

And yes I also encountered the save bug multiple times which has caused me to start frantically saving after every encounter/fight/event.

Kin5290

God, the voice acting for Triss is so flat and emotionless. And this is after spending time with Yen, Ciri, and Keira. She sounded terrible in the last game as well.

Roussow

Having trouble finding/being able to craft attractive gear, most of it is the thick fabric tunics with house sigils stitched in. So many terrible stripe patterns. Where can I get proper 'armor', light or heavy, just anything that looks as good as the chain-mail top you start the game with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom