• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubiblu

Finally made it through to Velen after like...5 or 6 hours in White Orchard. No grinding, just visiting every point of interest and completing every quest. Annoyed that I missed part of the Griffin chain by obtaining the herb earlier. Incredible otherwise.

Approximately how far in am I after arriving in Velen?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Argh I don't know what to do with the three ladies!

do I help the tree or kill it!? The witches seem dickish but not like "gotta kill them dickish" and the tree could easily be lying? But then again those witches are kind of dicks... where the kids at tree? Where the kids at!?

Vidpixel

I'm never going to finish this game. 10 hours in and I've done some side-quests and explored half of White Orchard. Just hit level 2. I think I've looted every house so far.

I refuse to fast travel in this game, I just love exploring this world. Great atmosphere.

Literally, the only time I feel the need to immediately fast travel is when I need to repair my equipment asap. Other than that, I'm like you and have simply been soaking in the atmosphere on horseback, taking in the sights and enjoying the world CD Projekt RED has crafted.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Outdoors look great across the board it seems but yeah cities and interiors are pretty bland and low res textures for the most part even on pc maxed. I will say with a good sweet fx profile this game looks magnificent at high resolution, though much can't be done for the interiors. I can't spend too much time in Novigrad before wanting to head out into the wilds, feels too cramped especially with every interior looking mostly the same.

Yeah pretty much exactly how I feel. There are times where it looks stunning, and like you said outdoors looks great, so maybe I'm just spending too much time in Novigrad. I just need to not be such a graphics whore, but it's hard lol

Wqwb.jpg

Finally made it through to Velen after like...5 or 6 hours in White Orchard. No grinding, just visiting every point of interest and completing every quest. Annoyed that I missed part of the Griffin chain by obtaining the herb earlier. Incredible otherwise.

Lol, you've got a lot of game left. White orchard is a postage stamp compared to the rest.

Artanisix

it's funny how many people are asking how far in they are after finishing white orchard.

it's literally the tutorial zone for witcher 3

nib95

Banned
So at this Garrison in White Orchid, there's a chest in their Base that seems to have some good wares inside, a Tumerian Sword or something similar included. Can I loot it and then leg it away from them all, and will they forget me if I return? Or do they forever remember you stole?

You just started the actual game. White Orchard is the tutorial zone.

Yeah pretty much exactly how I feel. There are times where it looks stunning, and like you said outdoors looks great, so maybe I'm just spending too much time in Novigrad. I just need to not be such a graphics whore, but it's hard lol

Hey I'm with you it's hard for me too. I've been playing gta v on pc the last few weeks with a killer sweet fx profile so yeah it's kind of jarring having the inconsistent quality going on visually in Witcher. Still enjoying it though, just there's that part of me that keeps yelling internally "why can't you look better?!" lol.

Lingitiz

Like in the overall game? You just finished the prologue lol. There's three acts.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I say damn, Im barely surviving and I have to pay for that. Next time I won't even bother installing them lol

Thanks for answering

lol yeah dude I ain't gonna lie I did some coin glitch in Novigrad to get 1000 coins real quick just so I could get the dlc. Before that the most coins I had at one time was like 200.

Maximo

Alittle dissapointed you can't go full crazy magic in this game, chopping up buggers can get alittle tedious, wanted to throw fireballs and do other cool stuff like some of the NPC Mages in the game.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'd like to also repost a few "cheats" a user on reddit made for PC users that makes things better IMO.

GiecuMan said:
I made a few mods for Witcher 3 and I want to share them with you. All mods updated to v1.03. Sorry for delay.

Over 9000 - Increases Geralt weight limit to 9999. There is also 2x version that doubles default weight limit.

Wealthy vendors - increases amount of money that vendors have by ten times.

Fair sale - Increases items sale prices.

Wealthy vendors and fair sale - increases amount of money that vendors have by ten times and increases items sale prices.

Download: https://mega.co.nz/#F!DQUXnLxI!GuZMPzUBR8vOOM07QP0kxw

All thanks should go to the good folks at zenhax.com and creator of quickbms that figured out how to export files.

I found it slightly irritating before when a super rare sword I found would only sell for 17 crowns at a vendor only to see that same vendor jack the price up too 500+ crowns when I try to buy it back.

Alittle dissapointed you can't go full crazy magic in this game, chopping up badgers can get alittle tedious, wanted to throw fireballs and do other cool stuff like some of the NPC Mages in the game.

Well, Geralt is a Witcher not a Mage.

HeelPower

Yeah I do minimal fast traveling as well.

I refuse to fast travel in this game, I just love exploring this world. Great atmosphere.

Same here.

White orchard had enough visual landmarks to make exploration by eye actually doable and the distances were appropriate and areas varied enough to never make me want to fast travel.

I only fast traveled at one point to maintain all important buffs for a certain fight.

DrSlek

this makes me think of how curved swords would do a better job of slicing people up.
then it made me think of a witcher game during samurai times in japan.
CDPR, make it happen.

Gerutai of Ryujo, a Ronin wandering Japan during the Sengoku Jidai, taking work where he can find it. Fighting bandits for the local peasantry, a la 7 Samurai.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

congratulations on completing the tutorial

CHC

congratulations on completing the tutorial

haha I've spent like 8 running around in White Orchard. The scenery is amazing and it's such a perfect size to explore, not too big but still full of surprises.
Can't wait to get a mod that gets rid of that shitty fisheye Witcher sense garbage. T-T

Yeah I don't know why they didn't just employ the system from the Witcher 2. If it ain't broke....

I really wish the stupid "talk" prompt could be turned off. Everything else can which is great. But the "Talk peasant" above everyone's head takes away some immersion. And it even pops up from quite a distance. In a town, have a bunch of floating text. That really agitates me.

frontovik

Banned
Yeah I don't know why they didn't just employ the system from the Witcher 2. If it ain't broke....

From my perspective, it's better than repeatedly pressing Z to activate your medallion.. That being said, the Witcher sense system could use some refinement in regards to vision.

Just my two cents.

Exentryk

I am about 8-9 hours in, and still at level 1 in the prologue area (White Orchard) lol. I am playing it on Death March tho, and enjoying every minute of it :D

Shouta

Holy shit! Totally accident but SPOILERS
ran into Letho in Velen. The traps seemed fishy so I thought it was just some crazy villager but got into the barn and I found him there. =O

Artanisix

"Does it really or is this just the usual exaggeration that people make with these "200 hour long omg" games?"

white orchard is seriously the tutorial zone, the game is freaking massive.

I've put 10hrs in white orchard and I'm about the start the
griffin quest
I think I'm ready for it. I was just completing other minor quests before that.

BearPawB

Banned
Begging for help again.

There is a bandit camp to the far west of velan, near the shore, there is a large rock with blood on it.

Weest of fyke isle

I can not get this bandit camp to show i have completed it.

I do not know what I am missing, but it is clearly something. I have looted everyone and everything. Nothing shows up in my witcher senses.

I will never not cast a spell around children. Watching them run around screaming is one of the funniest things ever. (Only to have them stop 5 seconds later and then turn around and say to you "What happened to yer mug?".)

Exentryk

You've not encountered Roston Muggs yet?

I don't recall that name, so don't think so?
I've only gotten the Griffin quest, and am still finishing off some sidequests.
I don't have the ? locations shown on the map, so taking my time exploring!

Once you start getting into the meat of the game it all comes together and really starts to shine. Not to say that it takes a long time for that to happen, but it's a different beast once you get out of White Orchard. It feels very holistic, and there's a level of quality present across the board from long interconnected quests to short one offs that I haven't encountered in an RPG of this type before. It's crazy how huge this game is considering the detail- 20 hours in and I haven't even really explored the east, west, or northern areas of Velen, much less Novigrad- but it's interesting how CDPR has managed to ground and personalize your interactions and missions through sheer mission design. As in pretty much everything you do feels designed. There are very few throwaway missions. Even short ones that could be inconsequential in another title snowball into bigger missions and general forward progression in a way that makes everything just work. The reluctance to fall into lazy MMO quest design is commendable.

I also love what Witcher Sense does for the game. At times you're pretty much playing Sherlock Holmes or Batman, it's so fun. I know there have been some people who dislike how much they lean on the mechanic, but it's a major part of how the title manages to craft these flowing missions that gradually piece themselves together without resorting to awkward open world WRPG storytelling. In fact, I like the detective/hunter aspects so much that I'm disappointed when the more bland, typical videogamey aspects rear their heads like dungeons that are very obviously fantasy dungeons, and encounters that play out exactly like you think those encounters will in a videogame. Detective Geralt is the best part of this.

And the soundtrack amazing as well. Every single track is great.

Holy shit! Totally accident but SPOILERS
ran into Letho in Velen. The traps seemed fishy so I thought it was just some crazy villager but got into the barn and I found him there. =O

Yeah, that was a great moment (with a good sidequest to go along with it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom