• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braag

I'm surprised how well the horse controls. Sometimes I rather ride to my destination than fast travel.
Last two RPGs with horse riding that I played were Skyrim and DA:I and in both games the horses controlled terribly.

Just encountered an odd bug. Came across a bandit camp, saw some enemies on the mini-map, but didn't enter the camp because I wanted to check out another nearby building first. Did that, and approached the camp from the other side. There was no one there. Left camp and went in the direction of where I was when I first spotted it, looked back towards the camp, and there the bandits were—standing right in the middle of the camp...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
White Orchard is literally the tutorial zone. Kaer Morhen teaches you the basics of character control, and White Orchard teaches you the world and quest design. It's got one or two of everything, neatly paced and dense in content to demonstrate your options and how you can impact the game world. It runs you through more or less every game system.

Then you get to Valen and have a panic attack.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm surprised how well the horse controls. Sometimes I rather ride to my destination than fast travel.
Last two RPGs with horse riding that I played were Skyrim and DA:I and in both games the horses controlled terribly.

I haven't fast traveled once yet (except for the one time you have to). Don't wanna miss an inch of this world. I've actually been walking/running quite a bit, as even on horseback I feel like I'm just rushing through. Although I've only just got to Velen and spent maybe an hour there, so maybe I'll feel differently in 50 hours, lol.

Dynasty8

Man this thread is moving fast.

Still wondering if I should get rid of my books in my inventory that I've already read. Do y need to keep them for anything?

Jolkien

White Orchard is literally the tutorial zone. Kaer Morhen teaches you the basics of character control, and White Orchard teaches you the world and quest design. It's got one or two of everything, neatly paced and dense in content to demonstrate your options and how you can impact the game world. It runs you through more or less every game system.

Pretty much, every noticed board I get too I can't believe how many stuff there is to do. Very well done.

RoKKeR

Accurate. Feel like I've been in Velen forever and have hardy scratched the surface.

Kosma

Banned
This game looks so effin good (PS4) I wish there was some photo mode where you can look through Geralt eyes and zoom in on stuff to appreciate stuff even more.

I think it's not the quality of any asset, but the overal density and vibrancy of the world that do it for me.

Jolkien

After dying twice I think I gotta kick the difficulty down to normal for some reason after i counter attack i hit an attack it doesn't go in..

Remember to time your parry, it opens up their defense and you can land 2-3 solid blow on them. These fights are trickier because you can't use signs.

But yeah if you don't enjoy the combat take it all the way down if needed the story is really great to experience. Personally I don't get the hate the combat system gets, I play on death march and I'm having a blast.

UberLevi

vki5dIR.jpg

I'm loving the way muddy, wet terrain looks in this game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but this might be the greatest open world RPG I've ever played. I'm 25 hours in and every single quest I've done has been captivating and enjoyable, and the world feels so genuine. I feel like the events I've run into are things that would happen with or without me, if that makes any sense.

Normally when I get a game, after a day or two I start to look forward to the next big release, but since I started this, I can't seem to want to do anything but keep playing.

Ok, my character is glitched holding something invisible. It looks ridiculous and I can't figure out what he's holding. I came out of combat and he was stuck like that

Speaking of combat. This "soft" lock-on sucks balls. I'm surrounded by guys and it won't shift the focus off whatever enemy it has decided to soft lock to. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't creep so slowly once it decides to lock

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds good.I'm gonna do everything in white orchard then.. I probably already sink quite a few hours in. Is there a way to check your playtime on ps4?

As has been said, R2 on the character screen. But it's unlikely that it will show anything resembling an accurate playtime, as it's quite broken. Have you ever suspended your PS4 with the game running? Then it's already too late, as the game counts suspended time as playtime. I luckily figured this out before it was too late, and only had to redo something like 30 minutes to get my true playtime back. But it's also broken in other ways, as it can sometimes jump ahead hours even while the game is running (which I think has something to do with being on the pause screen - time seems to pass strangely there).

Remember to time your parry, it opens up their defense and you can land 2-3 solid blow on them. These fights are trickier because you can't use signs.

But yeah if you don't enjoy the combat take it all the way down if needed the story is really great to experience. Personally I don't get the hate the combat system gets, I play on death march and I'm having a blast.

It feels too clunky for me I'm not used to it even now but won't kick the difficulty down all the way only died 4/6 times so far

HeelPower

Apparently being over encumbered switches to a cinematic camera even outdoors.

I wish you could run with this perspective ,but I am definitely gonna explore some outdoor places while being over encumbered,just to gain a different view of the world.

I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but this might be the greatest open world RPG I've ever played. I'm 25 hours in and every single quest I've done has been captivating and enjoyable, and the world feels so genuine. I feel like the events I've run into are things that would happen with or without me, if that makes any sense.

Normally when I get a game, after a day or two I start to look forward to the next big release, but since I started this, I can't seem to want to do anything but keep playing.

I just love that feeling where whatever you're doing matters. It didn't feel like that playing Dragon Age: Inquisition where it had a shit ton of fetch quests.

Jolkien

Ok, my character is glitched holding something invisible. It looks ridiculous and I can't figure out what he's holding. I came out of combat and he was stuck like that

Speaking of combat. This "soft" lock-on sucks balls. I'm surrounded by guys and it won't shift the focus off whatever enemy it has decided to soft lock to. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't creep so slowly once it decides to lock

You can still sprint even if you have someone soft locked.

Apparently being over encumbered switches to a cinematic camera even outdoors.

I wish you could run with this perspective ,but I am definitely gonna explore some outdoor places while being over encumbered,just to gain a different view of the world.

I wish you could adjust camera placement so I could offset Geralt to the left or right of the screen and pull it in a bit closer at times. Especially in boats because the sails block your view.

I restarted the game because I sold my witcher armour in the beginning by accident (and only realised after leaving White Orchard). Now I'm back to where I was (level 4) and I just picked up a level 33 quest, lol. 33.

In White Orchard: "Hmmm okay this is a decent sized map I guess?"

Arrive in Velen: "...FUCK"

So many fucking '?'

Also the first 5 I stumbled on to had ?? skull levels. I got one-shot by all of them. Fucking brutal.

Gurish

How can I do preparations when I'm missing ingredients for some of the stuff and the game doesn't tell me where to find them?
Like if i need a certain oil that a monster is vulnerable to but that oil requiers a type of herb in order to create, should I move across all the map until I'll find it?

Must be a less tedious way, what am i missing?

aku:jiki

How can I do preparations when I'm missing ingredients for some of the stuff and the game doesn't tell me where to find them?
Like if i need a certain oil that a monster is vulnerable to but that oil requiers a type of herb in order to create, should I move across all the map until I'll find it?

Yes, they actually expect you to explore in an exploration-based game. This is not Ubisoft.

In White Orchard: "Hmmm okay this is a decent sized map I guess?"

Arrive in Velen: "...FUCK"

So many fucking '?'

Also the first 5 I stumbled on to had ?? skull levels. I got one-shot by all of them. Fucking brutal.

Can you from white orchard to valen completely on horseback, instead of fast traveling?

squidyj

Playing Bloodborne and then another game is like trying to watch TV after seeing The Wire for the first time.

oh great more fucking bloodborne dicksucking.

combat is better to be sure, and bloodborne is a great game but it's not doing much more than combat and falls short in a lot of ways many other games excel. Narrative and story presentation for example (they're shit to nonexistant to incoherent)

roytheone

Buy the ingredients at a herbalist.

Gurish

Yes, they actually expect you to explore in an exploration-based game. This is not Ubisoft.
Dude but it's a pretty huge map, to try to find a herb or a missing alchemy ingredient in all of this map... it's pretty crazy, at least they could give you a hint like "this herb grows in higher altitudes" and such.

Buy the ingredients at a herbalist.
The herbalist always have the ingredients needed? like a certain flowers and such? If so than it's not too bad.

Have you found a
herbalist
yet?

Wow, that's amazing, especially the first one.

Haha, pretty much. After Bloodborne everything just feels so imprecise and unresponsive.

In bloodborne if you die its on you the player not the game or the combat system and I take my deaths as a lesson but on here I get salty lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom