• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbd23

I will never not cast a spell around children. Watching them run around screaming is one of the funniest things ever. (Only to have them stop 5 seconds later and then turn around and say to you "What happened to yer mug?".)

its rainin, its pourin, emperor emhyr is snorin....

I'll just add that after 10hrs I haven't used a single potion. Just food and water. And I've just defeated a bear. Once my health is low I just meditate. Playing on normal. Should I up the difficulty level?

can you give geralt a bowl cut that that first guy you save?

468px-With.png

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It really does. White Orchard is nothing compared to Velen and the rest of the game, it's just a tutorial/prologue area.
Nah. This is not some FFXIII where the game finally opens up after 13 hours, nor is there some change in gameplay or openness of the world. The game simply continues after White Orchard. It's just the first area you're in.

DrSlek

Oh I think I found out why I am dying to these spiders. Suggested level 33. I am currently lv. 4.

I ran into a witcher contract that had a bit of level disparity about it. Killing endrega in a mine, they were all level 5-7. The quest recommended level 33...I thought it was probably a bug. Then I encounter the level 33 boss.

foxtrot3d

Banned
By the way regarding the side quest with Lambert,
how did everyone else let things play out? I let the dude go and told Lambert not to kill him, I didn't really buy that he was sincere about his past but I didn't have enough information as towards his current business dealings to want to outright murder him. I just have this belief that Witchers shouldn't be killing other Witchers since they are a dying profession especially someone like that guy from the Cat School. Also, I didn't want those kids to have their "father" murdered. So many conflicting emotions. I reloaded to see Lambert's reaction if you allow him to kill the dude and he seemed to be about the same. I think he understands.

BeeDog

How are you supposed to fight Alghouls? I'm in Velen following a typical witcher contract, and I'm stumbling up on an area with two alghouls, lower level than me, who wreck the crap out of me. :(

WanderingWind

I'll just add that after 10hrs I haven't used a single potion. Just food and water. And I've just defeated a bear. Once my health is low I just meditate. Playing on normal. Should I up the difficulty level?

Probably sounds like it. I guarantee that you'd be using potions on Broken Bones difficulty. Depends on how much you like to be challenged.

How are you supposed to fight Alghouls? I'm in Velen following a typical witcher contract, and I'm stumbling up on an area with two alghouls, lower level than me, who wreck the crap out of me. :(

Tip: Axii makes them retract their spikes.

You definitely need to use potions on the higher difficulties. I'd recommend it, I think it makes the game more interesting and strategic.

Elandyll

Banned
Can't say the story is really gripping me so far (or the slightly improved version of fetch quests), but the game is sooo gorgeous and the world so alive...
Still having a great time for now.
Unless the story really ramps up (am not really too far in), I could see preferring the end game and free roaming to the main story line, but I guess I'll see, as it's probably too early to make a definitive opinion yet (at about 7-8h in, I just finished my first side quest in Velen with the Fire Priest).

viveks86

Does it really or is this just the usual exaggeration that people make with these "200 hour long omg" games?

An exaggeration. But not as big an exaggeration as one might think. It's a tiny sandbox that is meant to ease the player into the world and game mechanics without becoming too overwhelming

Nah. This is not some FFXIII where the game finally opens up after 13 hours, nor is there some change in gameplay or openness of the world. The game simply continues after White Orchard. It's just the first area you're in.

Except for the fact that the entire land mass of White Orchard is miniscule compared to the rest of the game, and isn't even considered an Act, of which there are 3.

For all intents and purposes White Orchard is the tutorial / Prologue. It isn't even 10% of the game.

Use Axii and abuse the dodge roll. Don't be afraid to stretch the fight way beyond where you encounter them if you can and cheese the encounter to win with a crossbow or something. Alghouls and all the other enemies with incessant attack patterns are total dickheads and don't deserve a fair fight.

WanderingWind

Except for the fact that the entire land mass of White Orchard is miniscule compared to the rest of the game, and isn't even considered an Act, of which there are 3.

For all intents and purposes White Orchard is the tutorial / Prologue. It isn't even 10% of the game.

So...you're saying it's the first area, exactly like I said? Cool. The game does not change from White Orchard on, save for the natural progression of the story, etc. I don't think it's at all accurate to say that the game "doesn't really begin until after White Orchard" as the game doesn't change from there on. It's simply the beginning area. By definition, every game has them. I think that phrase should be reserved for the FFXIII's of the world.

Two comments that probably no one will read or care about:

1) I played about two hours or so last night. I loved the Witcher 2 and had this pre-ordered two years ago...and I don't pre-order games. As of right now...I kind of don't feel like playing anymore. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm just coming off of Bloodborne and New Vegas, which are two huge RPG'S and maybe I just need a break from the genre, but I really want to love this game.

2) My girlfriend of 12 years made the comment last night while half watching me play that "this game is really pretty, right?", which is the first time she's ever made that kind of comment about any game that I can ever remember playing.

I'm hoping I'll find some time to sit down with this game for a few hours straight this weekend and get really into it, but I'd love more than anything for me to be able to get my gal to play this game and just let me watch since I'm really just not feeling it right now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wish there was another difficulty under Death March. The difference between Death March and the one below it is too great.

npa189

Doing some contracts in Velen, I still hate wraiths and think they are ridiculously OP. I'm having a lot of fun, but it has yet to grab me by the seat of my pants. I think this one is a slower burn than your typical western RPG, but looking at all those notice boards dotted across the landscape has me very excited. I'm finally closing the level gap and have some good swords, my armor is still shit though I want a complete heavy set.

D23

Guys, is it recommended to check out all the question mark in white orchard before proceeding with the griffon quest? I don't want to get burned out like dragon age inquisition for staying in the first area for too long. Thanks

Guys, is it recommended to check out all the question mark in white orchard before proceeding with the griffon quest? I don't want to get burned out like dragon age inquisition for staying in the first area for too long. Thanks

Up to you really. I got burned out badly on DAI but haven't with this game at all. Mostly because so many of the side quests and fetch quests actually have real stories to them with interesting characters. Its not just an endless collectathon. Me, personally, I went ahead and did everything I could in White Orchard first and enjoyed every second of it.

Might not be the same for you though of course, just my perspective.

Just beat the main quest in Velen and I want to know if I would encounter the
Cronies Witches
again and if so,
can I kill them?

I might have to reload an old save :(

You don't have to but a lot of those are mostly monster dens/places with things to fight and loot. I found some pretty cool armor and crafting materials from going to them all, and you also come across a good amount of those stones that increase your sign power and grant you ability points. So it's really up to since you can go back at any time.

Banzai

The active quen shield is sooo good. Makes 1 on 1 fights cake.
I'm lv10 now and finally starting to feel strong (playing on hard). The leveling system is a bit restrictive with the slots you have to unlock.

Omni

How far am I into the game? I've put like 10 hours in so far. Just curious really

I'm currently doing a fight with Nithral.
It's really hard... though I am under levelled a bit I think.

D23

Sounds good.I'm gonna do everything in white orchard then.. I probably already sink quite a few hours in. Is there a way to check your playtime on ps4?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally left White Orchard (after doing absolutely everything there, at least that I know of) and got to Velen last night. Pretty sweet! Can't wait to explore all that space, so far I've only seen the first two small villages and some of the space between them. Awesome.

EXCEPT if you're in a crowded place and it also rains the framerate absolutely tanks on PS4. And it's no gradual decrease in performance, but just like DF said it seems to either stay at 30 (stuttering notwithstanding) or instantly plummet to 20. Looks like a case of simple double buffered v-sync, and that makes it so much worse than it should be. They need to get some triple buffering in there, or at least adaptive v-sync. I normally absolutely hate screen tearing, but in this case I think I'd actually prefer a little of it from time to time over these massive performance drops. The game usually sticks to 30 really well, so it shouldn't have to be too bad overall.

So white orchard is considered the tutorial?

Well, the prologue. A place to let you get comfortable with the various systems at play before you start the real adventure. Kaer Morhen is the actual tutorial (although I guess you could call White Orchard an extension of that).

Dynasty8

How far am I into the game? I've put like 10 hours in so far. Just curious really

I'm currently doing a fight with Nithral.
It's really hard... though I am under levelled a bit I think.

Still got a very long way to go. Definitely don't rush the game though. That might be the reason why you're under leveled. Also, what difficulty are u playing it on?

Jolkien

Sounds good.I'm gonna do everything in white orchard then.. I probably already sink quite a few hours in. Is there a way to check your playtime on ps4?

Go to the character page, player stats (it's RT with a controller on PC) you will see all your stats and at the bottom you will see your playtime.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man, there needs to be a box, or a better way to organize your inventory.

If there's ever a book/text related clue, and if you need to read it again after the first time where it's starred, good luck finding it, lol. Though I suppose I could just breakdown every single book, lol.

Also, put some more time into it, and the amount of 'good/fleshed-out' sidequests to collect-a-thons in, say, DA:I is like night and day.

Might not be much more beyond 'go here, kill X species', but for whatever reason, there's much more narrative emphasis in it, by keeping Geralt connected to the people he's dealing with. Mad props to Geralt's VA for doing so well on a 'limited' emotional scale.

The world is massive enough to be a distraction (especially for the completionist in me), but it works really well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, the Tower of Mice quest just made my appreciation for this game skyrocket. Great story with it, great atmosphere, and fairly long. I had to keep checking on the quest menus to be sure it wasn't a main quest. One of the best side quests I've ever done.

Omni

Still got a very long way to go. Definitely don't rush the game though. That might be the reason why you're under leveled. Also, what difficulty are u playing it on?

I was on the second from the top but I recently dropped it down a notch which has made things a bit easier. Lots of trial an error with some of these encounters though. Once I leave this cave thing I'll spend some time levelling

Load times after dying are really annoying me >.>

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How can you see how much alcharest you have? I looked all through my inventory and didn't see it.

Also, how does alcohol work? Does it take 1 unit for every bomb and potion when you meditate, or is it 1 unit fills all?

Is it possible to meditate and not refill potions?

erawsd

If white orchard is the tutorial then what would the initial sequence where you train with
lil Ciri
be considered?

Both are in the tutorial phase. The Kaer Morhen sequence teaches you basic movement and combat while WO introduces you to all the other gameplay systems.

Jolkien

How can you see how much alcharest you have? I looked all through my inventory and didn't see it.

Also, how does alcohol work? Does it take 1 unit for every bomb and potion when you meditate, or is it 1 unit fills all?

Is it possible to meditate and not refill potions?

1 units fills all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom