• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought I could figure this out myself, but I can't:

1) What's the skull meter?

2) What are the three dashes underneath the yellow meter?

The game makes no effort to explain these things. I'm guessing the skull is toxicity and the dashes are adrenaline, but I get in a ton of hits without getting hit myself, and the dashes don't turn red.

Toxicity and adrenaline, yes.

And yes, the game does explain both. Not right away, but tutorial messages do pop up for them eventually. Or you could RTFM, but I guess that's not a thing people do anymore.

It's baffling to me how many people have no idea about things that are clearly explained in-game. Like how to equip and use bombs. IT'S IN THE COMBAT TUTORIAL. If you decided to skip that, your bad.

ChinaWarrior

Neo Member
Lock on works with bosses the same way as it does with any other enemy. The only difference being that you wont have a lock on indicator. Make sure you are truly in combat with the boss before trying lock on.

jadedm17

The real time cutscenes can be hilarious : First I was amused when I called Roach after I exited a cave before one started and you could see him trot into view, but shortly after I
found a small bridge with guards trying to charge me to cross; Once they realized I was a Witcher they apologized. To my amusement while we had a calm conversation a group of four drowners crossed the bridge and surrounded Roach; Once we finished nonchalantly talking as if nothing was going on inches away they attacked and killed one of the men instantly. After they ignored me and chased the remaining men inland.
I just watched in horror while everything played out.

I feel like once you reach a certain level requirement for armor they should stop looking like fuckin quilts. Had been wearing a nice steel chest plate number for awhile, found something better, and of course it looks like granny knitted the thing. Tired of geralt looking like a fancy boy.

It's Destiny all over again when I get some new armor with some ridiculous color pattern that makes me look like an a**.

erawsd

It was just frustrating, the battle was fairly tough as it was, however, the fact that it was tough simply because the mechanics didn't really work properly isn't really a done thing.

I know it's opinions and all, but I just can't understand how this passes as a "perfect" game these days.

Like I said, its probably because they either didnt have the same frustrations o they were so minor that they were far outweighed by the positives of the game. I dont know, I cant speak for reviewers.

I can tell you that I did not share your frustration with the fight. I had little issue getting past it on Death March. One thing to note is that this game is as much RPG as it is action. You wont get far if you approach fights by just swinging your sword and mashing dodge, you need to read the bestiary and experiment with everything at your disposal if you want things to go smoothly.

It's part of the
Ladies of the Wood Quest

What's killing me is it's regenerative abilities.

I can whittle it down, but it just keeps refilling it's life back up.

Oh...you mean the one nearby the big tree?

Just use Samum bomb and Axii to stun it and delay it a bit when it tries to regenerate.

BTW there's also a side quest with a werewolf in it and it's A LOT HARDER...

danowat

Banned
If you were more specific I could help more.

The dodge and roll mechanic didn't always work properly, Geralt would sometimes do it, but he would sometimes just slide across the floor without the animation, and not always in the right direction, attacks don't always hit, sometimes they hit when they shouldn't.

It wouldn't lock on to the Griffon, at all, I understand Geralt attacks in the direction he is facing, but the camera swings about all over the place, combined with no lock on makes it tough.

It's just not a very polished combat system, it's just as bad in groups as well.

Chariot

Mhm, patch did good, inventory works fine, but I still get random freezes now and then and these I do not understand. Today it froze once when turning the camera in Novingrad and once when I had a regular dialoge with a merchant. Something awry.

Zakalwe

Banned
The side quests in this game are some of the best I've ever played.

Spent the last couple of hours roaming WO mopping up quests I'd left and I'm really impressed with the quality. The world CDRP built feels populated and real, I haven't been this immersed since Oblivion.

Edit: and the music is incredible.

Newman96

Regarding 'A Deadly Plot'
I finished the bit with Thaler and the cave trolls and it ended
is that it for the quest or will it come back later on?

Roussow

Man, this is the first time that I've played a game for 20+ hours before it completely "clicked". Now I'm loving it, I actually feel like this is an acceptable time where you can completely disregard a lot of comments and critiques on a game just because the player in question hasn't spent enough time with.

Which reminds me, I save the Giant Bombcast for my job on Saturdays, I'm concerned I'm going to just be frustrated listening to The Witcher 3 discussion if they've collectively barely touched it -- and I have no issue with infamous weeks of Destiny debates and openly await Dan's tangents and all of the Wrestling discussion.

I saved the game and then turned off all the hud elements, and holy crap playing the game with no hud is an entirely different experience. Highly recommend people try it if even once. Exploring a forest with no map, no health bar, nothing is quite an eery experience lol.

Glasswork

Seems like the Treasure Hunt mission Dirty Funds is broken for me. Says to read something I have picked up, and I read every single thing I have in my inventory and it won't progress.

Pretty annoying.

I'm having this problem as well, I thought I might have accidentally sold it or something.

valkyre

From the way Marcin Momot is tweeting, patch 1.03 for the consoles seems to be still in development and not into certification process as was previously mentioned.

Vanmunt

Banned
Just finished the Bloody Baron story line... I will admit I did feel a bit bad at the outcome, but you live and die by your decisions. Obviously not going into spoilers!

Really enjoying this game and a nice long weekend gaming in the UK to look forward to as well.. happy days.

Man the Cat potion is awesome.

When it gets dark I don't like to go anywhere because I can't see anything and the atmosphere is creepy as heck and I get nervous, but with the Cat point I can see everything in the dark and those dark basements and crypts and monster hunting in the dark becomes actually fun again.

aku:jiki

Gwent is such a pay to win garbage card game, but I still feel compelled to challenge everyone I can to find more sweet rares, argh!

(Pay to win for Geralt, that is, not the actual human player.)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The real time cutscenes can be hilarious : First I was amused when I called Roach after I exited a cave before one started and you could see him trot into view, but shortly after I
found a small bridge with guards trying to charge me to cross; Once they realized I was a Witcher they apologized. To my amusement while we had a calm conversation a group of four drowners crossed the bridge and surrounded Roach; Once we finished nonchalantly talking as if nothing was going on inches away they attacked and killed one of the men instantly. After they ignored me and chased the remaining men inland.
I just watched in horror while everything played out.

It's Destiny all over again when I get some new armor with some ridiculous color pattern that makes me look like an a**.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KX1lK58q8&feature=youtu.be
The dodge and roll mechanic didn't always work properly, Geralt would sometimes do it, but he would sometimes just slide across the floor without the animation, and not always in the right direction, attacks don't always hit, sometimes they hit when they shouldn't.

It wouldn't lock on to the Griffon, at all, I understand Geralt attacks in the direction he is facing, but the camera swings about all over the place, combined with no lock on makes it tough.

It's just not a very polished combat system, it's just as bad in groups as well.
I've never heard of those issues by anyone yet or seen them in almost 30 hours of gameplay
Lock on breaks when it flies iirc

Guess it's a benefit of KB+M I always have the camera where I want it.

Man the Cat potion is awesome.

When it gets dark I don't like to go anywhere because I can't see anything and the atmosphere is creepy as heck and I get nervous, but with the Cat point I can see everything in the dark and those dark basements and crypts and monster hunting in the dark becomes actually fun again.

Wait until you step into sunlight again and the potion is still effective.

Banzai

The question keeps coming up, but has really noone found the diagrams needed for the silver bomb yet?
Sure there's probably other ways to beat werewolves but I want to have them anyway.

Mendrox

I killed it, wasn't a major problem, but it was just made a lot harder, and a lot more frustrating because I had to wrestle with the controls.

Sometimes it's the player, I got no problems and the controls flows like a glorious stream of pure water. I feel like that I dance in this game. Only thing that is stupid is the loot system.

Menthuss

So I just defeated the
Griffin
and I kind of thought the whole fight was a bit clunky. Whenever I saw him telegraph an attack I tried rolling away but he often still hit me because the roll doesn't seem to have I-frames. Made me feel like I'm missing something when it comes to fighting larger monsters.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone been to some elven ruins in valen
Est Tayiar
? Stumbled across it and found part of one of the witcher sets but there is a
glowing purple portal
I can't interact with. I assume a quest will bring me back here?

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't mean to back seat mod, but if people could spoiler tag everything OTHER than "griffin" rather than go into detail about things and just spoiler the one thing you have to highlight to know what you're talking about.

Maximo

Do weapons and items scale down according to your level? Keep doing quests beyond my level and managing fine, but often finding special Named swords..their not that great Feels like I'm screwing their potential.

Chariot

Gwent is such a pay to win garbage card game, but I still feel compelled to challenge everyone I can to find more sweet rares, argh!

(Pay to win for Geralt, that is, not the actual human player.)
Join us in the Gwent OT

The underwater controls are game breaking in my opinion. Probably the worst I've ever experienced.
Gamebreaking? You mean annoying, I doubt that the controls break the game.
I don't mean to back seat mod, but if people could spoiler tag everything OTHER than "griffin" rather than go into detail about things and just spoiler the one thing you have to highlight to know what you're talking about.
I support this. People should make the context of their Spoilers clear.

Ciri found a Tartis and went back to the future to fight Nurgle
isn't telling what's in the spoiler, until it's too late.

Ceebs

This game...did the Magic Lamp sidequest...did not see that becoming as involved as it did. Like that was pretty much the equivalent of something like a Mass Effect planet's full storyline, all contained in a single secondary quest.

Also as someone who has read all the novels, my lore excitement is off the charts. Can't wait to see what other characters show up.

Maximo

Also been complaining about the fall damage but can someone someone cofirm if pressing jump before you hit the ground reduce some of the fall damage? He does a roll before he hits the ground.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I just defeated the
Griffin
and I kind of thought the whole fight was a bit clunky. Whenever I saw him telegraph an attack I tried rolling away but he often still hit me because the roll doesn't seem to have I-frames. Made me feel like I'm missing something when it comes to fighting larger monsters.
Dodge light attacks, I believe it has a better i-frame window too. Roll heavy or to make space.
This game...did the Magic Lamp sidequest...did not see that becoming as involved as it did. Like that was pretty much the equivalent of something like a Mass Effect planet's full storyline, all contained in a single secondary quest.

Also as someone who has read all the novels, my lore excitement is off the charts. Can't wait to see what other characters show up.
Yeah this certain witch quest keeps on going...
Also been complaining about the fall damage but can someone someone cofirm if pressing jump before you hit the ground reduce some of the fall damage? He does a roll before he hits the ground.
Yes

roytheone

Which reminds me, I save the Giant Bombcast for my job on Saturdays, I'm concerned I'm going to just be frustrated listening to The Witcher 3 discussion if they've collectively barely touched it -- and I have no issue with infamous weeks of Destiny debates and openly await Dan's tangents and all of the Wrestling discussion.

Don't worry, Jeff isn't there, but Danny is and he played a lot. Also, they pretty much unanimously think it is a great game.

Loving the quest design so far.

A spoiler for fists of fury questline.
I really didn't want to take a fall for fishgulper, but I didn't want him and his family to starve either way. A lot of games would have let you deal in absolutes, you either take the fall or you punch the living shit out of him. I beat him, didn't trick him, but I talked to him afterwards and gave him coin so his family wouldn't starve. That's great! I felt bad and kinda expected that he wouldn't talk to me and that would be the end of it. I also saw someone trick him by saying that he wouldn't put up a fight, only to knock him out. A lot of nuanced pathways, good stuff.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Count Reuven's Treasure.

Usually I try and talk it out rather than go on a murdering spree but no one slaps Triss. Especially Witch hunters.

Chariot

Loving the quest design so far.

A spoiler for fists of fury questline.
I really didn't want to take a fall for fishgulper, but I didn't want him and his family to starve either way. A lot of games would have let you deal in absolutes, you either take the fall or you punch the living shit out of him. I beat him, didn't trick him, but I talked to him afterwards and gave him coin so his family wouldn't starve. That's great! I felt bad and kinda expected that he wouldn't talk to me and that would be the end of it. I also saw someone trick him by saying that he wouldn't put up a fight, only to knock him out. A lot of nuanced pathways, good stuff.
What, you can do that? FUCK

Oiled up another screenshot :)
ju0gBVE.png

Ushay

Guys, are there any sites that help with talent building. There are so many branches want to plan my build out properly.

Issues like the gwent crash and the font size makes me think the team was spread out to thin over the three platforms. Still enjoying it immensely tho.

Man this game has several flaws that I hate, but the story, voice acting and characters are well done. Sidequests are actually worth doing. Also,
Ciri is Zero cause she's cool as hell
in terms of Megaman.

Jord

I think I'm stuck on the
Wandering in the Dark
quest line. I'm at the final boss but my silver sword is broken, I'm out of potions and low on food.

Is there any way I can leave and repair/restock and come back to this point, or do I need to load an earlier save?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom