• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Damn, people beat the game already, and I've only left White Orchard today.
At this pace, I'm not sure if I can finish the game by the end of June.

Just enjoy it, man. Pace doesn't matter if you're having a great time.

I'm at about 20 hours and I've not even reached Novigrad. I'm just having loads of productive fun in south Velen.

Torraz

Looking for a low spoiler answer.

Early Game spoiler question:
Just got the assignment to find ciri and several regions opened up. I just turned level 4 and did all white orchard quests I could find up until that point.

Where do I now go? Do I go back to white orchard, to velen (as I am prompted by the game) or somewhere else entirely? Is there low level content in all areas?

Thanks

Jolkien

Just got the assignment to find ciri and several regions opened up. I just turned level 4 and did all white orchard quests I could find up until that point.

Where do I now go? Do I go back to white orchard, to velen (as I am prompted by the game) or somewhere else entirely? Is there low level content in all areas?

Thanks

You go to
Velen
you will get destroyed everywhere else. There's plenty to do there, trust me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably seems obviously but some miss, colour code your mutations with what talents you have, you get a bonus.

How do people miss all this stuff, though? You get a tutorial pop-up explaining exactly this right after you get your first mutagen. Unless you just mash through those or have turned them off, in which case you have only yourself to blame.

What, you can do that? FUCK

Yup! My conscience wouldn't allow me to walk away without talking to him first.

Question regarding the start of Velen
Did anybody else tell the Baron's men 'I am a witcher' and they backed off, only to draw their swords after I finished talking to the innkeep. It confused me, but I didn't refrain from chopping them up on the spot. Only to hear their buddies outside get curious and the innkeep being all afraid and ratting me out lol.

Kaversmed

I have probably misunderstood something here, but are you able to upgrade your armor and how? I'm currently level 5 and I haven't really seen any signs of upgradeable armor beside the glyphs that you can attach to it.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the heavier a weapon is (like the longsword and axes) the slower it is to use in combat?

SomTervo

Thanks

The progression is pretty well controlled by the main story missions. Just follow the main story missions and divert off them to do quests. But watch out for the 'Red Skull' icon. It means a mission or enemy is too high level for you.

The only three main areas are White Orchard, Velen and Skellige. Velen is gigantic. Once you reach Velen, you're free to go almost anywhere in the world. Even Skellige Isles if you want. But they are tough, like set for a level 24 character minimum.

Velen is the early game area. White Orchard is just the tutorial basically.

Torraz

You go to
Velen
you will get destroyed everywhere else. There's plenty to do there, trust me.

Thanks!

Ran around white orchard a bit until I got a warning that too strong enemies will destroy me.

:edit:

The progression is pretty well controlled by the main story missions. Just follow the main story missions and divert off them to do quests. But watch out for the 'Red Skull' icon. It means a mission or enemy is too high level for you.

The only three main areas are White Orchard, Velen and Skellige. Velen is gigantic. Once you reach Velen, you're free to go almost anywhere in the world. Even Skellige Isles if you want. But they are tough, like set for a level 24 character minimum.

Velen is the early game area. White Orchard is just the tutorial basically.

Thank you. Just got the "skull" tutorial warning somewhere in White Ochard.

Jolkien

How do people miss all this stuff, though? You get a tutorial pop-up explaining exactly this right after you get your first mutagen. Unless you just mash through those or have turned them off, in which case you have only yourself to blame.

A LOT of question asked in this thread is all answered in game. People just don't read tutorials it seems. It's fine, we're all here to help each other but I'm surprised how many asking basic questions.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yup! My conscience wouldn't allow me to walk away without talking to him first.

Question regarding the start of Velen
Did anybody else tell the Baron's men 'I am a witcher' and they backed off, only to draw their swords after I finished talking to the innkeep. It confused me, but I didn't refrain from chopping them up on the spot. Only to hear their buddies outside get curious and the innkeep being all afraid and ratting me out lol.

I told them the same thing, but for me they just sat down at a table after that.

Jolkien

Thanks!

Ran around white orchard a bit until I got a warning that too strong enemies will destroy me.

And even in the new zone you have to be careful not far from where you begin you will encounter enemies which are lvl 10, but other place there's lvl 3 and 4, just make a mental note to come back to place you wanted to visit but were too weak ;)

UberLevi

rJKzgdC.jpg

Gonna throw in a screenshot for shits n' giggles.

On a different topic: I feel like I'm way behind in level compared to the content. Am I missing things? I just did the mission where
You and Kiera go to the cave looking for info on Ciri.
It seemed a little tough and all of the missions are like level 6 and 7 and I'm just now hitting 5. Is that normal?

Torraz

I am probably the last to find out about this, but I was really struggling with making effective use of the dodge (the (o)-button move, not the roll).

I found that dodging, while holding the stick up-left / up-right) would see me get hit a lot less than dodging straight left, right, to the front or the back.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A LOT of question asked in this thread is all answered in game. People just don't read tutorials it seems. It's fine, we're all here to help each other but I'm surprised how many asking basic questions.

Yeah. It just bothers me when people are all "How do you do X?! The game doesn't explain ANYTHING!" when those things are in fact explained rather well if you can just be arsed to read the tutorial messages (which are also saved so you can go back and read them at any time, which you are also told or can otherwise easily find out by just looking through the menus a bit).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The underwater controls are game breaking in my opinion. Probably the worst I've ever experienced.

What an odd opinion.

[edit]

EatChildren, you keep posting screenshots of the quests I'm doing. Been happening since I notice you posted screenshots the other day.

AE2XMU7.jpg

Forever questing bffs

thechemist

I never played the previous games, is there any benefit to simulating a Witcher 2 save, or shall I just stick with the default world? Thanks.

Fliesen

Fantastic game.

long load times.

shitty swimming controls. (overall, not the tightest controls, but combat is fun. Fighting contracts without signs, potions or oils for the trophy is pretty challenging)

sub-optimal inventory management (unsellable quest-items of quests long completed!) - especially the "stutter" when switching to the hugely overloaded 'crafting and alchemy' tab

Overall really enjoying the HUGE open world.
Super anxious about "missing out" on quests by making story progress, though.

(i.e. finishing "Family matters" before playing Gwent with the quest-giver)

what also sucks is that modern games save BEFORE something important is about to happen. Witcher tends to save AFTER something happened. So if you finished some quest objective, then went on to do 30 minutes of selling, repairing, crafting - after which you die from a group of ghouls - you lost the time spent on doing inventory chores.

Still. GOTY candidate.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Novigrad is stunning. That this huge city exists, looks gorgeous, populated, with buildings and stores, the entire city and its interiors enterable seamlessly from the open world, is quite an achievement.

Early Novigrad question, post your first main quest there:
where's Triss? She mentioned she has a place near the fishing port or something, but I cant find it.

Forever questing bffs

TOGETHER FOREVER

When I get access to a barber can I get any hairstyle I want and still keep the growing beard? I know that if you choose another beard style then it will be permanently at one length but I was just wondering if the hairstyles effected the beards somehow.

Tankshell

Novigrad is stunning. That this huge city exists, looks gorgeous, populated, with buildings and stores, the entire city and its interiors enterable seamlessly from the open world, is quite an achievement.

where's Triss? She mentioned she has a place near the fishing port or something, but I cant find it.

TOGETHER FOREVER

Novigrad really is the BEST city in a game I have ever experienced. Has anyone managed to re-create this early screen/promo shot yet? (wondering if it is possible to get up on those roofs with the ladder and the guy repairing his roof tiles?):

Majukun

It's part of the
Ladies of the Wood Quest

What's killing me is it's regenerative abilities.

I can whittle it down, but it just keeps refilling it's life back up.
just be really aggressive, she is slow to turn around, so if you manage to attack her from behind just keep pummelling her, of course dodging when she manages to turn back. then when she does her trick, just sweep her clones fast and repeat the process.. you should be able to outpace her healing

newsguy

I was OCD with the Orchard. I went through every single possible thing available on the map and then went back around to make sure I didn't miss anything. Off to the next place.

murgo

Can anyone help me with a person in distress? The cage is right next to the Redanian border post island and I can't find the key :( There's a couple of bandits on horseback around the cage, but none of those guys have the cage key.

Acinixys

This game does NOT mess around with letting monsters absolutely fuck your shit up

Im level 4 and have already found a quest that is only recommended for level 33s

Plus ive run into so many 10+ mobs that take 0 damage from my attacks

cry.gif

thuGG_pl

I honestly can't believe that some call the combat "shit".
I play on "broken bones" difficulty and I'm having a good time figthing, it's pretty diverse. I have to think, plan ahead, dodge here and there, roll when they're charging, time parrys, block. Sword animations are fluid and fun, sometimes Geralt starts a sequence with one enemy and finish on the other enemy, all fluently. Also it's fun playing with bombs, oils, and signs. There are lots of way you can play the fight and I always need to be concentrated and put an effort. For me combat is good and engaging.

iNvid02

this feels like a game that would be infuriating to play at times when 30fps, solid 60 here and everything from the combat to swimming has worked alright.

Can anyone help me with
a person in distress? The cage is right next to the Redanian border post island and I can't find the key :( There's a couple of bandits on horseback around the cage, but none of those guys have the cage key.

keys are usually on a corpse or in a nearby chest, leave him locked in there and look around the camp

Majukun

I was OCD with the Orchard. I went through every single possible thing available on the map and then went back around to make sure I didn't miss anything. Off to the next place.
did you get
the chest under the waterfall and yes's crystal crow skull?
:p

Moff

Can anyone help me with a person in distress? The cage is right next to the Redanian border post island and I can't find the key :( There's a couple of bandits on horseback around the cage, but none of those guys have the cage key.

I did that yesterday and didnt find the key either.
although I am pretty sure there were more bandits there when I first went to that camp.
now 20 hours later they probably died of old age and the key is gone for good

Okay so I'm slowly coming round to understanding how to play the game properly.

Preparing before a battle and saving frequently being the two main takeaways.

Also just realised I had two unspent ability points, it wasn't very clear I hadn't used them until I realised what the icon stood for. And levelling up the magic definitely helps, as does using thing like oils and potions for temporary buffs.

Definitely finding the side quests more enjoyable still, easier to digest I think.

The controls are a constant struggle however in battle. One on one is fine, but when being attacked by a group of wraiths for example, it's difficult to roll away sometimes without taking some fatal hits.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member

TOGETHER FOREVER
Triss
Place is east of where you first look for them. Don't recall specifics. If you found a certain store(Think it was in the NE of town. Sold stuff from a mage's manor IIRC) there's a figure geralt buys off the merchant and if you track that quest should bring you right to them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Novigrad really is the BEST city in a game I have ever experienced. Has anyone managed to re-create this early screen/promo shot yet? (wondering if it is possible to get up on those roofs with the ladder and the guy repairing his roof tiles?):
I ventured there a bit and was pretty stunned. That shit is crazy.

Chaos17

Okay so I'm slowly coming round to understanding how to play the game properly.

Preparing before a battle and saving frequently being the two main takeaways.

Also just realised I had two unspent ability points, it wasn't very clear I hadn't used them until I realised what the icon stood for. And levelling up the magic definitely helps, as does using thing like oils and potions for temporary buffs.

Definitely finding the side quests more enjoyable still, easier to digest I think.

The controls are a constant struggle however in battle. One on one is fine, but when being attacked by a group of wraiths for example, it's difficult to roll away sometimes without taking some fatal hits.

url

murgo

keys are usually on a corpse or in a nearby chest, leave him locked in there and look around the camp

I did that yesterday and didnt find the key either.
although I am pretty sure there were more bandits there when I first went to that camp.
now 20 hours later they probably died of old age and the key is gone for good

I looked around and checked everything lootable without luck. No key and no other bandits to kill. Usually there's a leader around who carries the key, but not here. Crap :(

senahorse

I feel like I am levelling up too fast. I am level 14 and am wanting to get the main quests around my level out of the way so I can go and do side quests, however I keep gaining levels and being the appropriate level for the main quest (I started doing this at level 10). If I do side quests I find I am getting too over levelled for the main quests. Does this slow down at some point, ie I have some monster quests that say level 33, will the main quest level jump significantly at some point so I can do side quests without feeling like I am over-levelling myself?

Salaadin

I looked around and checked everything lootable without luck. No key and no other bandits to kill. Usually there's a leader around who carries the key, but not here. Crap :(
Seems to be a glitch. Many are reporting the same issue. It affected me as well.
The key or the bandit with the key just isn't there

AlanOC91

Right. So I'm 6 hours in and I haven't even fought the Griffin yet. This game is just amazing.

Every quest I've done so far has sucked me in. I don't want to compare it to other game because it's its own thing but I have very rarely played a game where the quests were so interesting.

The
ghost in the well quest
, the
firestarter
and
the missing brother
quest were all really interesting for me. I love the investigation and preparation aspect of some of them.

It helps too that it's a gorgeous game! I went into my graphics settings last night and has everything on Ultra but forgot to put texture quality up (which was on low). Geralts armor just looks amazing.
I've spent far too much time wondering around and taking in the scenery.

The combat is also a massive improvement overt the Witcher 2. It's actually fun for me now. It also helps playing on a higher difficulty. Every fight so far feels like a dangerous fight where I need to be careful and properly strategize rather than mash heavy or light attack.

Itching to get back home from work and play it again. Amazing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom