• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

so, at higher difficulties you can't heal by meditating right? does this means that I have to carry a shit load of food and potions at any time?

Is the skill for deflecting arrows worthwhile? Can't decide what to get after having spent five points on the fast attack skill and one point on the general day & night skill. Not interested in strong attacks for my build but I want something from that category.

so, at higher difficulties you can't heal by meditating right? does this means that I have to carry a shit load of food and potions at any time?

Get the day & night skill.

Chariot

Heard there is a bath in Novingrad? Where is it, I went north to south, from west to east and didn't find it. Could somebody give me a hint? Probably should activate my POIs to find it, but I'd rather being told and keep those other POIs hidden.

Due to being busy with my social life and then being sick as a dog yesterday I've only had a hour to play this. Can't wait to jump into this over the weekend.

Moff

is there any way to see how much doeses of alcohol you have?
and are bombs replenished with alcohol, too?
and how much alcohol is used? it's very confusing

and how exactly does level factor in?

Preparing before a battle and saving frequently being the two main takeaways.

how exactly do you prepare?
I am pretty overeveld right now for the quests I do, but I also take down big monsters with a hicher level down easily. I play on hard, but if you don't watch out you die fast.
I have three sign skills (quen bubble, flamethrower ihni and stagger quen) and with a blue mutagen next to them it gives me +40% sign intensity and I feel like a god, flamethrones is so throng and the bubble heals a lot. it really is fun at the moment

hemo memo

Gold Member
Just found this cool ass armor
11147100_893922740645707_7289977313717800278_o.jpg

Bloodborne vibe from this.

Majukun

I feel like I am levelling up too fast. I am level 14 and am wanting to get the main quests around my level out of the way so I can go and do side quests, however I keep gaining levels and being the appropriate level for the main quest (I started doing this at level 10). If I do side quests I find I am getting too over levelled for the main quests. Does this slow down at some point, ie I have some monster quests that say level 33, will the main quest level jump significantly at some point so I can do side quests without feeling like I am over-levelling myself?
Well, the point of side quests is to give an advantage but still being optional if someone just wants to follow the main storyline.. so it's normal that you are now over-leveled

Okay so I'm slowly coming round to understanding how to play the game properly.

Also just realised I had two unspent ability points, it wasn't very clear I hadn't used them until I realised what the icon stood for. And levelling up the magic definitely helps, as does using thing like oils and potions for temporary buffs.

Definitely finding the side quests more enjoyable still, easier to digest I think.

The controls are a constant struggle however in battle. One on one is fine, but when being attacked by a group of wraiths for example, it's difficult to roll away sometimes without taking some fatal hits.
When you go up a against a mob try using yrden, it slows them down so their attacks become a lot easier to dodge and it gives you more time to punish them

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You can't heal by meditating, but your potions do get refilled (as long as you have at least 1 unit of alcohol), so you just have to manage that a bit more carefully. And yeah, the Sun & Stars skill is very useful. Regenerates vitality while out of combat during the day and stamina while in combat at night.

Anung

Un Rama
I wish you could zoom out further on the map screen. The maps are so huge that finding quest markers are actually becoming a pain.

senahorse

Well, the point of side quests is to give an advantage but still being optional if someone just wants to follow the main storyline.. so it's normal that you are now over-leveled

Yeah I understand that, it's just that the main quests give so much experience, that I feel like I am damned if I do and damned if I don't in regards to doing the side quests which are awesome themselves. I feel like doing what I did with skyrim and finding a mod that slows down the XP gain so I can experience more content without levelling up too much, but I guess it goes to level 60 for a reason :). Do different difficulties change the amount of XP?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
is there any way to see how much doeses of alcohol you have?
and are bombs replenished with alcohol, too?
and how much alcohol is used? it's very confusing

You just look at what you have in your inventory, I guess...? There's no pre-calculated total number that you can just look at AFAIK.

Yes, bombs are replenished, along with potions and oils. Takes just 1 unit (bottle/whatever) of alchol no matter how many there are to refill. Not sure I quite like that, as it takes away the strategic element of preserving stuff, etc, but I guess it's a good thing that you can go all out with this stuff without worrying about running out (as long as you can meditate before the next major encounter).

ducksauce

This game desperately needs a photo mode similar to The Last of Us. I know it doesn't match the beauty of the early trailer but it's still an incredibly beautiful game.

bede-x

I'm getting bored of a lot of the content in W3 just like other open world games. Picking up quests from a board is like climbing a tower in Assassin's Creed and the follow up to it? Save X persons in distress, destroy X monster lairs, Clear X abandonded sites, find X hidden treasures.. It's just mind numbingly dull.

Some of the normal quests are quite good and I love that there's no level scaling in the world, but aside from that what this has is mostly that there hasn't been a million Witcher games in recent years, unlike Ubisoft Game, making it feel fresh. Still kinda enjoying it, even if it doesn't come close to living up to the hype.

Please tell me that the other main area is full of variety and has many new things to do at the question marks?

<3

how exactly do you prepare?
I am pretty overeveld right now for the quests I do, but I also take down big monsters with a hicher level down easily. I play on hard, but if you don't watch out you die fast.
I have three sign skills (quen bubble, flamethrower ihni and stagger quen) and with a blue mutagen next to them it gives me +40% sign intensity and I feel like a god, flamethrones is so throng and the bubble heals a lot. it really is fun at the moment

I've just been making sure I've enough supplies to heal, and some buffs for the sword. I'm only level 5 at the minute, but getting there.

When you go up a against a mob try using yrden, it slows them down so their attacks become a lot easier to dodge and it gives you more time to punish them

I have to admit I haven't really used Yrden at all, but I'll aim to.

Whats up with the games fucked up playtime counter? It says I've nearly played 5 whole days of the game since Saturday, which is impossible. Is there a way to fix this? So I can get an accurate playtime count?

SomTervo

Okay so I'm slowly coming round to understanding how to play the game properly.

Also just realised I had two unspent ability points, it wasn't very clear I hadn't used them until I realised what the icon stood for. And levelling up the magic definitely helps, as does using thing like oils and potions for temporary buffs.

Definitely finding the side quests more enjoyable still, easier to digest I think.

The controls are a constant struggle however in battle. One on one is fine, but when being attacked by a group of wraiths for example, it's difficult to roll away sometimes without taking some fatal hits.

Sounds like you're doing well. What difficulty are you playing on?

- dodge against monsters and big weapon wielders, block against humans and sword wielders
- always prioritise meditation and restocking your potions over going to quests/fighting. Never know when a fight might happen.
- try to never enter a fight without knowing what will come up and having oils on your weapons
- Quen in the morning, Quen in the evening, Quen all over the land (cast it before any fight and during every fight after each time you're hit. Use Oil to get your stamina back faster and cast it more easily)
- use Igni/Aard/Axii (as appropriate to beast) for crowd control damage, use Yrden for crowd control speed
- if you can strike from your horse, do it (higher damage, but remember to Axii if he gets too scared)
- crossbow any flying enemies
- if you're not sure how to tackle an enemy, or they keep beating you, check the bestiary immediately. Will tell you the best oil, bomb, or sign to use against them
- remember to HOLD the Bomb/Crossbow button to aim it carefully in slow motion. The auto aim is very dodgy. (A well placed bomb can turn the tide of a battle. Also Dancing Star is amazing against most enemies - 5 second breathing space for free.)

Artanisix

"I'm getting bored of a lot of the content in W3 just like other open world games. Picking up quests from a board is like climbing a tower in Assassin's Creed and the follow up to it? Save X persons in distress, destroy X monster lairs, Clear X abandonded sites, find X hidden treasures.. It's just mind numbingly dull."

Then stop going from question mark to question mark? Turn off your points of interest. Open world games allow you to be in control of content consumption. Make it organic and interesting instead of trying to plow through it all. I'm having zero issues keeping myself entertained ~15 hours in.

Whats up with the games fucked up playtime counter? It says I've nearly played 5 whole days of the game since Saturday, which is impossible. Is there a way to fix this? So I can get an accurate playtime count?

Lot of people have said this, apparently because of rest mode. Have you had your console in rest mode?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Broken. Counts suspended time (on PS4 at least) as playtime, and also seems to freak out and jump ahead several hours when it feels like it (I think it has something to do with being in the pause menu, messes up the counter). Unless you want to go back to a save before it became messed up there's probably no way to fix it, no. I luckily discovered it in time, only had to redo about 30 mins, and have been very careful with it ever since.

Card Boy

Banned
1.03 patch + nVidia drivers and am surprised this is running decently on my GTX 670. I am running on High Video + High Post processing with motion blur turned off.

Majukun

Hold up....
where is the crow skull????
It should be where you start the game after the first ghoul fight, use witcher senses to find it. he disappears later in the game though.. reports vary on when exactly. nobody knows if it has any real purpose though

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Man, that Griffin fight was great.
I didn't expect it to happen, but i'm really enjoying the game's combat. Especially it's emphasis on both carefull play and preparation. TW2 had that as well, but this time it...clicks. Somehow.

Just got out of White Orchard. Getting trained how to
bow. Fuck that guy.
Normally i'm the kind of player who completes (almost) everything before going on with the main plot, but now i'm only completing the quests I run into, read or hear about. I'll explore if i'm too low a level, or if something in the distance seems interesting.
And it's pretty great, I should play that way more often. Feels like the right way to roleplay Geralt as well.

I really hope White Orchard's Herbalist's
patient survives the Swallow potion I gave her. :(

The inventory is a massive improvement from the previous games, but it's still clunky as hell.
Love the fact that you have to repair armour and weapons. Makes going on the road and accepting contracts for money more significant.

Gregorn

I just want to recommend people to try the game with no mini map and points of interest, I started to get that ubisoft feel in white orchard, which is now completely gone after turning those off. You can check the map to see which direction you should head, and then use the sun to keep yourself going the right way.

At least turn off the assassin's creed control thing, c'mon. The game looks beautiful with no HUD.

Kaversmed

If I suspend the game on PS4 and come back to it a few hours later, the counter will have included those hours in the overall playtime :(

edit: beaten

Broken. Counts suspended time (on PS4 at least) as playtime, and also seems to freak out and jump ahead several hours when it feels like it (I think it has something to do with being in the pause menu, messes up the counter). Unless you want to go back to a save before it became messed up there's probably no way to fix it, no. I luckily discovered it in time, only had to redo about 30 mins, and have been very careful with it ever since.

Sorry, suspend mode it is ( I said rest mode)

Sounds like you're doing well. What difficulty are you playing on?

- dodge against monsters and big weapon wielders, block against humans and sword wielders
- always prioritise meditation and restocking your potions over going to quests/fighting. Never know when a fight might happen.
- try to never enter a fight without knowing what will come up and having oils on your weapons
- Quen in the morning, Quen in the evening, Quen all over the land (cast it before any fight and during every fight after each time you're hit. Use Oil to get your stamina back faster and cast it more easily)
- use Igni for crowd control damage, use Yrden for crowd control speed
- if you can strike from your horse, do it (higher damage, but remember to Axii if he gets too scared)
- crossbow any flying enemies
This is really good advice

KooopaKid

Banned
Time to get the last piece of Griffin armour today. Lighthouse area was a bit tricky last night but I'll be able to beat it today. I hope..

Also someone over on Reddit threw a screenshot through the oil filter in photoshop. Can result in some gorgous shots.

Wow the 2nd to last one looks like actual art.

phaze

Fair nuf. Then do it, phaze! Persevere! It may come back. :eek:

Dealt with the issue. The alternate windows account save worked. I was just being a dummy and confused it with another save, hence no tattoo.

Clearing the White Orchard now. My poor Radeon 7850 keeps the 30 fps most of the time but you can hear the poor guy huffing and puffing.

Question: I stumbled upon the Gryffin's lair while exploring before talking to the hunter. But now he doesn't seem to want to talk to me at all. Does he give off some side quest like the herbalist or is he important only to the gryffin hunt ?

Stoze

Weird question, does anyone know the name of the card you win from playing against the Skellig girl blacksmith in Baron's fortress?

I beat her but I could've sworn I didn't win a card from her, and I'd rather not play her again because I got pretty lucky.

Acinixys

Holy
FUCK

This game is goldlike

Im level 4

Walking around in the wilderness of Velen. Discover a cave with
a Witchers wolf painted outside. Fight though 6 level 7 wraiths to get deeper.

Find a secret passage, blast it open and stumble upon a level 14 Ekimmaras. Spend 5 IRL minutes and a shitload of swallow and food fighting it. Finally defeat it and loot all the chests and crates in his lair. Get a literal fuck ton of gear including the entire Griffin School Witcher set

Best
RPG
EVER

Stoze

It's not bad, but Igni and Yrden shouldn't always be used as the go to CC. Some creatures are weak to Aard and Axii too, and these become much more effective at controlling the battle then.

Another suggestion would be to use bombs. They refill when you meditate, and are extremely powerful early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom