• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

from the hour or so i played i can confirm 100% in this exclusive post

- can't kill or stab or punch or main children
- can punch geese
- climb a house
- jump off the roof of the house and die
- jump off cliff ledges and die
- jump off the kaer morhen
- yennefer's nice butt
- wear no pants (but medieval undies)
- no pants in cutscenes
- locked door on windmill fuck where is the key uuuuuuughhhhh
- run away from a bear
- run away from wolves
- footprints in sand
- found a sword
- found some boots
- combat is good but don't be a button mashing scrublord
alright, alright, alright.

Is there any other animals you can punch? chickens? goats?

... Is EatChildren drunk? D:

Drunk.. with power.

Goose ploughing power.

zVCzdsml.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did combat take any cues from the rebalance mod?

Yes, in my opinion. I think the mistake some people will make is going into it expecting a total overhaul of The Witcher 2, or treating it like a character action game, or exactly like Bloodborne. Positioning, movement, and timing attacks is still very important. But the hit targeting is sooo much better than The Witcher 2, and the flow of animations/functions feels a lot smoother and natural.

Zakalwe

Banned
So as there been a consensus reached on which choices made based on the witcher 2 give the best experience in switcher 3?

I doubt it this early on, also there's no way of knowing if your own tastes will align with the consensus.

I wouldn't worry for your first play through, you can always run the game again with different choices later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
... Is EatChildren drunk? D:

I wish.

alright, alright, alright.

Is there any other animals you can punch? chickens? goats?

I found cows but I could only stab them. If you de-equip your swords you could probably punch them. I also stabbed a deer.

How is the combat exactly, are there combo's? can you elaborate a bit more?

It's like The Witcher 2 with the much of the FCR 2.0 mod, tighter/more seamless flow between animations and functions (eg: attacks, blocks, rolls), but still heavily based around positioning and careful play. There's a short dodge step and a long roll. Having come off a Witcher 2 replay recently I actually fooled myself a few times by attacking and thinking Geralt would automatically roll towards and attack the target, but he didn't; he swung the sword as is and didn't lose his position.

Some combo moves might fuck that up but standard attacks are very straight forward.

Raptor

Yes, in my opinion. I think the mistake some people will make is going into it expecting a total overhaul of The Witcher 2, or treating it like a character action game, or exactly like Bloodborne. Positioning, movement, and timing attacks is still very important. But the hit targeting is sooo much better than The Witcher 2, and the flow of animations/functions feels a lot smoother and natural.

You playing on PS4 right?

Can you please if you are allowed confirm no stuttering or nothign severe as headache inducing stuttering?

Thanks

I wish.

I found cows but I could only stab them. If you de-equip your swords you could probably punch them. I also stabbed a deer.

It's like The Witcher 2 with the much of the FCR 2.0 mod, tighter/more seamless flow between animations and functions (eg: attacks, blocks, rolls), but still heavily based around positioning and careful play. There's a short dodge step and a long roll. Having come off a Witcher 2 replay recently I actually fooled myself a few times by attacking and thinking Geralt would automatically roll towards and attack the target, but he didn't; he swung the sword as is and didn't lose his position.

Some combo moves might fuck that up but standard attacks are very straight forward.

Sounds good! thanks

EatChildren

Why are you wasting his time with such inane questions like this when there are still more questions about which animals can and can't be hit to be answered?

my full animal report

- punched a goose
- stabbed a cow
- ran from some wolves
- then stabbed the wolves
- ran from a bear because it was big and scary
- stabbed a deer
- saw some fish

Can you please if you are allowed confirm no stuttering or nothign severe as headache inducing stuttering?

Thanks

The build I was fucking around with was on PS4, retail code, but I did most of my playing before applying the patch. Framerate pre-patch really wasn't very good in my opinion. Played briefly with the patch applied and it seemed better. I'll be playing on PC when it unlocks tomorrow.

I wish.

Damn, that sounds good. Seems to have alleviated many of my issues with TW2.

The wait is unbearable.

Philippo

Is the frame-rate on PS4 at least on par with Unity? I could handle that, so if it's better than that it's 100% playable for me.

Same goes for the combat, i expected it to be equal to TW2 one, so if it's tighter, more refined, i couldn't ask more.

Raptor

my full animal report

- punched a goose
- stabbed a cow
- ran from some wolves
- stabbed a deer
- saw some fish

The build I was fucking around with was on PS4, retail code, but I did most of my playing before applying the patch. Framerate pre-patch really wasn't very good in my opinion. Played briefly with the patch applied and it seemed better. I'll be playing on PC when it unlocks tomorrow.

Thanks.

my full animal report

- punched a goose
- stabbed a cow
- ran from some wolves
- stabbed a deer
- saw some fish

Gotta hit some chickens to see If they snitch like in Skyrim lol

Zakalwe

Banned
For PC players who have preloaded via GoG:

Is it faster to DL via the Galaxy client or the manual file list? The client doesn't show the DL speed so I'm not sure if it's maxing out my connection, any way for me to check that?

Forkball

- can punch geese
- climb a house
- yennefer's nice butt
- no pants in cutscenes
- run away from a bear
- run away from wolves
- footprints in sand
- found a sword
- found some boots
Tell me more about Yennifer's butt. Can I see some Xbone vs. PS4 screens?

SomTervo

Thanks

I'm playing on PS4 - local store broke street date - and the performance is really, really nice.

Occasional very brief stutters. But on the whole it's bloody great.

I was getting very uncanny 'true classic' vibes in the first hour or two. Like it was supplanting Ocarina of Time in a oner. Won't do this for everyone, but this is some real shit right here, guys.

AMA.

Is the frame-rate on PS4 at least on par with Unity? I could handle that, so if it's better than that it's 100% playable for me.

Same goes for the combat, i expected it to be equal to TW2 one, so if it's tighter, more refined, i couldn't ask more.

It's incomparable. I loved Unity, but comparing Unity and TW3 is like chalk and cheese. TW3 is a very polished, fully functioning game. Like 90% there. Every half hour or so you'll come across something which isn't ideal, but for me (about 7 hours in) it's very smooth, looks great, and very polished. A joy to play. The movement and everything is top class.

Also best horseriding since Shadow of the Colossus. Not quite as perfectly horse-like, but a damn sight greater than Red Dead Redemption.

TBH, The Witcher 3 is giving me what I always wanted from Red Dead. The first area alone is most of the size of RDR's frontier. And there are at least 3 other areas which are all bigger..

BumRush

- can punch geese
- climb a house
- yennefer's nice butt
- no pants in cutscenes
- run away from a bear
- run away from wolves
- footprints in sand
- found a sword
- found some boots

Great impressions, lol.

How's the difficulty (normal) compared to a, say, Souls game?

bombshell

It's nowhere near Unity level bad. There's only some minor framerate drops when action gets heavy.

EatChildren

Tell me more about Yennifer's butt. Can I see some Xbone vs. PS4 screens?

It was delicious. I didn't get to see some Xbutt.

Great impressions, lol.

How's the difficulty (normal) compared to a, say, Souls game?

As I was just kinda fucking around I started on normal and definitely will be playing a notch above. Normal is nothing close to Souls, room for error even against 3 - 4 drowners was decent.

ufo8mycat

For anyone playing on PS4, are the framerate/pacing issues bad enough to suggest waiting for another pitch in the near future? I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do. I don't mind some slight framerate drops, but stuttering from framepacing issues will drive me mad.

I have been playing for the past 3 hours and have not noticed any frame rate or frame pacing issues. It's really smooth. Then again, I never noticed the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne. I guess I am not that sensitive to frame rate issues.

One of the most immersive worlds. It is amazing so far.

I think I am going to stick to Blood and Broken Bones as far as difficulty. Blood arch was just a bit too hard. Then again once I get use to the combat that may change.

EatChildren

vivek's shot is tweaked PC. This is another, with shit like foliage, shadow, etc rendering distances tweaked beyond ultra.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-config-file-tweaks-001-on.png

Raptor

I'm playing on PS4 - local store broke street date - and the performance is really, really nice.

Occasional very brief stutters. But on the whole it's bloody great.

I was getting very uncanny 'true classic' vibes in the first hour or two. Like it was supplanting Ocarina of Time in a oner. Won't do this for everyone, but this is some real shit right here, guys.

AMA.

Ok this sounds good enough, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom