• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

First Witcher,played for a few hours on PS4 so here are my intial impressions:-
Pros:-
Nice but not spectacular visuals
Story
Dialogue
Combat
The world

Cons:-
Framerate
Clunky Controls
Long death reload times
Limited exploration

The last line will change big time.

Stoze

First Witcher,played for a few hours on PS4 so here are my intial impressions:-
Pros:-
Nice but not spectacular visuals
Story
Dialogue
Combat
The world

Cons:-
Framerate
Clunky Controls
Long death reload times
Limited exploration

Can I ask why you have limited exploration and what you mean by that? Just curious.

There's a small ruined fortress on an island on the western side of Velen with a Wyvern flying around it. How do you lower the bridge to get over to it?

Go down to where the Place of Power is then dive into the water and look to your right. There's an underwater cavern to takes you up underneath the island

Mendrox

It should be where you start the game after the first ghoul fight, use witcher senses to find it. he disappears later in the game though.. reports vary on when exactly. nobody knows if it has any real purpose though

According to the guide it's useless

Sid

I got that 'end of the world' message a number of times.Story wise I've killed the first boss and that's about it

I got that 'end of the world' message a number of times.Story wise I've killed the first boss and that's about it

You haven't even scratched the tutorial area yet. The world size is the biggest in any videogame. Skyrim in comparison feels tiny.

Either that or tales from your ass!

Moodz

This game is incredible.
The technical, artistic and game design achievements... I predicted those Ocarina of Time feels but now they are real.
Except for the swimming and the font size it's perfect for me.
And I'm only starting Velen after something like 12 hours.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
You're still in White Orchard, right? Otherwise I don't know how you could say that. The world opens up waaaaaay more after you're done with that area, which is basically just the prologue.

Yeah, after I got out of White Orchard. The amount of stuff to go find was borderline overwhelming. On the way to one quest, I ran into like 6 things to do that weren't quests.

Anung

Un Rama
Code:
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/t31.0-8/11059722_10153328016997392_6402313989243598876_o.jpg[/IMG]

A lot of the armour in this game is a real mixed bag. So much of it is so garish and ugly. This isn't as strong as my other stuff but it looks cool. Might go out my way to try find the matching legs/gloves.

Code:
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/t31.0-8/11059722_10153328016997392_6402313989243598876_o.jpg[/IMG]

A lot of the armour in this game is a real mixed bag. So much of it is so garish and ugly. This isn't as strong as my other stuff but it looks cool. Might go out my way to try find the matching legs/gloves.

You'll get more options later. Just relax.

nR1IsnF.jpg

Sanctuary

This game is pretty amazing overall, and I love how in many ways it feels way more like the first game, as opposed to TW2, especially atmospherically.

Anyway, it's far from perfect. The combat is still very "meh", both mechanically as well as feeling.

I also don't understand some of the quality of life issues they left out. The inventory is a clusterfuck and why can you not consume an edible object directly from the inventory during combat, but instead can assign it to a slot and use it during combat that way (exact same thing, but more inventory fiddling)?

This game is pretty amazing overall, and I love how in many ways it feels way more like the first game, as opposed to TW2, especially atmospherically.

Anyway, it's far from perfect. The combat is still very "meh" in both mechanically as well as feeling.

I also don't understand some of the quality of life issues they left out. The inventory is a clusterfuck and why can you not consume an edible object directly from the inventory, but instead can assign it to a slot and use it during combat that way (exact same thing, but more inventory fiddling)?
You can consume them in the inventory.

bede-x

If we make a comparison TW3's repetition isn't in the same league as Dragon Age: Inquisitions'.

I haven't completed W3 yet, so I'm not able to pass judgement on how close it comes to Inquisition in terms of repetition, but the fact that some of the content is already repeated more than ten times is enough, even if it isn't as bad as one of the worst offenders out there.

Also to consider is the fact that Geralt is a witcher and his job is repetitious and specific. The optional side content is his job, it would be almost impossible to not have any repetition there.

Some repetition is fine, too much... And you have Ubisoft Game. And wouldn't be surprised if this has as much repeat content as some Assassin's Creed games. Will do a count when I'm done..

SomTervo

It's not bad, but Igni and Yrden shouldn't always be used as the go to CC. Some creatures are weak to Aard and Axii too, and these become much more effective at controlling the battle then.

Very true, also I forgot to mention that in many cases bombs are your best crowd control option.

A well placed bomb of the right type can stagger/finish off 3-4 drowners in one go, for example.

I'd update my post to read:

- dodge against monsters and big weapon wielders, block against humans and sword wielders
- always prioritise meditation and restocking your potions over going to quests/fighting. Never know when a fight might happen.
- try to never enter a fight without knowing what will come up and having oils on your weapons
- Quen in the morning, Quen in the evening, Quen all over the land (cast it before any fight and during every fight after each time you're hit. Use Oil to get your stamina back faster and cast it more easily)
- use Igni/Aard/Axii (as appropriate to beast) for crowd control damage, use Yrden for crowd control speed
- if you can strike from your horse, do it (higher damage, but remember to Axii if he gets too scared)
- crossbow any flying enemies
- if you're not sure how to tackle an enemy, or they keep beating you, check the bestiary immediately. Will tell you the best oil, bomb, or sign to use against them
- remember to HOLD the Bomb/Crossbow button to aim it carefully in slow motion. The auto aim is very dodgy. (A well placed bomb can turn the tide of a battle. Also Dancing Star is amazing against most enemies - 5 second breathing space for free.)

This is really good advice

Thanks!

I just want to recommend people to try the game with no mini map and points of interest, I started to get that ubisoft feel in white orchard, which is now completely gone after turning those off. You can check the map to see which direction you should head, and then use the sun to keep yourself going the right way.

At least turn off the assassin's creed control thing, c'mon. The game looks beautiful with no HUD.

I might try this, but I think it's noteworthy that CDPR put the minimap in the top right.

Minimaps being at the bottom of the screen really bothers me. IIRC, the human eye trends downwards when it's taking information in. That way Ubi games and GTA minimaps always totally get in the way because they're big and at the bottom left, so your eye gets dragged down to them all the time. Because TW3's minimap is in the far top right, and not too big, I'm finding it easier to ignore than any minimap I've used in any other game.

Also Pete Campbell FTW

"I'm getting bored of a lot of the content in W3 just like other open world games. Picking up quests from a board is like climbing a tower in Assassin's Creed and the follow up to it? Save X persons in distress, destroy X monster lairs, Clear X abandonded sites, find X hidden treasures.. It's just mind numbingly dull."

Then stop going from question mark to question mark? Turn off your points of interest. Open world games allow you to be in control of content consumption. Make it organic and interesting instead of trying to plow through it all. I'm having zero issues keeping myself entertained ~15 hours in.

Yeah, TW3 gives you plenty of ways to avoid checklist-style gameplay. Deffo:
- try HUD off
- don't rush through anything
- turn the difficulty up? will force you to pace yourself
- try really engaging with the level design around you (plenty of looting, off-mission exploring. Try choosing a random point on the map and just journeying there. You can find your own ways to get immersed.)

Anyway, it's far from perfect. The combat is still very "meh", both mechanically as well as feeling.

I also don't understand some of the quality of life issues they left out. The inventory is a clusterfuck and why can you not consume an edible object directly from the inventory during combat, but instead can assign it to a slot and use it during combat that way (exact same thing, but more inventory fiddling)?

You can do this. Press Square on PS4 to consume directly from inventory. Read the bottom of the screen. (Edit: may have misunderstood that you meant only during combat, in which case I think they want it to be real time as patapuf said)

Combat really doesn't seem to be clicking with some people. Seems to be almost a love/hate thing. It clicked for me early and I love it, it seemed to not click for some at all, and others seemed to struggle for a while before it clicked and they began loving it.

patapuf

I'd guess that's probably to balance combat since you can't change the equipped slots during combat.

Sanctuary

You can consume them in the inventory.

Any time I've ever tried to use an edible item directly from the inventory during combat "YOU CANNOT DO THAT RIGHT NOW" or whatever would pop up. Yet I can eat it if it's equipped, and I can go into the inventory during combat to equip it. That's what I'm saying is nonsense.

You can do this. Press Square on PS4 to consume directly from inventory. Read the bottom of the screen.

Nope. Really makes me wonder just how many various bugs there are on the PC compared to the console versions. That doesn't work, and lowering the difficulty to regain health while meditating doesn't work either. Neither does the skill that's supposed to grant you regeneration outside of combat. Even Kotaku mentioned that skill and suggested not taking it, even while playing on the higher difficulties. It doesn't actually work on the higher difficulties. At least it doesn't on PC.

I'd guess that's probably to balance combat since you can't change the equipped slots during combat.

Lol, you actually can change equipped slots during combat, which is why I'm saying this is dumb.

Stoze

Code:

Problem for me is so much of it is bulky/puffy and regal looking. The tight mail and leather looks so much better on Geralt.

You can use edibles in the inventory, look at the buttons/keys at the bottom of the screen to see which one to press. Edit: Sorry, you said during combat. Yeah you might be right on that.

I agree that the inventory needs a lot of work. I'm not sure why they ditched all the sorting methods they had from Witcher 2.

Anung

Un Rama
Problem for me is so much of it is bulky/puffy and regal looking. The tight mail and leather looks so much better on Geralt.

Definitely. That's why I'm sticking with this set for now. Good stats and really cool looking.

Code:
[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/t31.0-8/11165099_10153325764587392_665404236182814268_o.jpg[/IMG]

Some really great looking armour at level 27 though.

Gattsu25

Banned
Any time I've ever tried to use an edible item directly from the inventory during combat "YOU CANNOT DO THAT RIGHT NOW" or whatever would pop up. Yet I can eat it if it's equipped, and I can go into the inventory during combat to equip it. That's what I'm saying is nonsense.

Nope. Really makes me wonder just how many various bugs there are on the PC compared to the console versions. That doesn't work, and lowering the difficulty to regain health while meditating doesn't work either. Neither does the skill that's supposed to grant you regeneration outside of combat. Even Kotaku mentioned that skill and suggested not taking it, even while playing on the higher difficulties. It doesn't actually work on the higher difficulties. At least it doesn't on PC.
The skill works on the second hardest difficulty, it's just worthless due to how low the regen is and the fact that the regen only happens some, and not all, of the time*. You're literally better off just popping a bottle of water while running around.

*Edit: the skill only works during daytime and heals a stupidly low amount of vitality per second. It's easily the worst skill point you can spend, IMO.

SomTervo

Yeah sorry, I didn't pick up that you meant in combat only. I don't think you can do it during combat because CDPR wanted to make consumption during fights a real-time mechanic. You can't pause time to do it.

You can do it outside of combat though, yeah?

Sanctuary

The skill works on the second hardest difficulty, it's just worthless due to how low the regen is and the fact that the regen only happens some, and not all, of the time. You're literally better off just popping a bottle of water while running around.

Yeah, well I am currently out of food and drink because of how much I've been having to use them. Although a lot of that had to do with being stingy on using swallow potions early on, not knowing how rare alcohol would be. Plus, I also didn't like having to use alcohol just to refill one potion type if I had not been using the others.

Yeah sorry, I didn't pick up that you meant in combat only. I don't think you can do it during combat because CDPR wanted to make consumption during fights a real-time mechanic. You can't pause time to do it.

You can do it outside of combat though, yeah?

Out of combat yeah, I don't have issues eating directly from the inventory. I don't really see it as a balance issue though if I can simply equip it during combat to eat it, then equip something else in the slot. It's just silly busywork.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
level 5 in Velen
Xbox one
how do you use the crossbow?
its equipped, I am hitting RB??
so what else am I suppose to do

By equipped do you mean you put it in the slot in your inventory? Or you chose it on the Sign/bomb/item wheel? You have to choose it after you equip it, then hold rb to aim and shoot.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You haven't even scratched the tutorial area yet. The world size is the biggest in any videogame.

Well, that's not true. There are many games with much larger worlds, JC2 to name one. But this one is really large for sure, and more importantly actually interesting to explore!

Well, that's not true. There are many games with much larger worlds, JC2 to name one. But this one is really large for sure, and more importantly actually interesting to explore!

even though just cause was huge but a lot of the areas looked the same to me in here there is way more variety which proves quality > quantity

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Code:

looks like his nipples are speakers lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Give me an expansion pack that adds a bunch of new monster contracts to the world, especially totally unique monsters, and I'd be happy as a pig in shit.

Can't decide if I want to bone
Kiera or not.
. I assume that is the purpose of going back to visit her after the initial quest.

In the books geralt sleeps with many different women and though he loves yennefer they aren't really exclusive.

Then there's Triss I imagine later on as well. I'll probably do it just for the hell of it. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom